A Word of Knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there,

When a member says that they have inquired of the Lord concerning a passage of Scripture, and have received knowledge concerning it. The knowledge then given is very difficult to refute, for it appears that in doing so, one is calling in question a revelation of the Holy Spirit: or suggesting that the person entering it has been mistaken; in ascribing the apparent 'knowledge' given, to that beloved source. In either case offence is caused.

* What should determine the assurance that a word being given regarding a text of Scripture, is indeed of the Spirit, and not a matter of personal interpretation?

I would value your input.
In Christ Jesus
Complete

Last edited:
Greetings Chris,

The Word that the person says is from the Holy Spirit should always be backed up by Scripture. For the Holy Spirit will not speak anything that does not line up or is already written in/with the Word of God (John 16:13-14).

It should bear witness with your spirit, for you have the same Holy Spirit dwelling within you. If you have difficulty receiving what was said or given, ask God to show you if it's meaning is true to His Word, or not... backing it up with Scripture. The rest is up to that person to accept or deny, according to ones belief. Meaning if ones belief does not agree with what is shown, we have a choice to either continue in our belief or believe what the Word says.

God bless you with much wisdom, grace and peace in abundance
Love you in Christ

"Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. " 1 John 4:1 (NIV)

Give it some time to see if it comes about but just because someone says they have heard from God and have a word for you (word of knowledge) doesn't mean it comes from God. It may just be something from them and they tag it as directly from the Holy Spirit or it can come from the enemy.

If in time it does not come about the person was likely in presumption.

I am cautious about anyone who says, "The Lord says (and they mean they have a direct revelation); however I have often received words in such a way that they really were of the Holy Spirit. Ask the Lord to give you the gift of discerning of spirits to tell the difference.

And, of course, the sharing must not go against the scriptures as mentioned in this thread previously.

Good question. Thanks for sharing it.

blessings.

Hello there,

When a member says that they have inquired of the Lord concerning a passage of Scripture, and have received knowledge concerning it. The knowledge then given is very difficult to refute, for it appears that in doing so, one is calling in question a revelation of the Holy Spirit: or suggesting that the person entering it has been mistaken; in ascribing the apparent 'knowledge' given, to that beloved source. In either case offence is caused.

* What should determine the assurance that a word being given regarding a text of Scripture, is indeed of the Spirit, and not a matter of personal interpretation?

In Christ Jesus
Complete
Well, to me, it's more real life than scriptural reference by the Spirit. For instance, my son now has a job that pays pretty well (Glory to the Lord Who provides) and he came asking what to do with his money. At one point in the conversation he asked me if I had any stock. I told him that it's not been doing good for years. He almost convinced me to sell it just the other day. I felt the Spirit say "just wait". So I did. Today, it's up 27%. The Lord is in every detail of our lives. We need to learn, just like in school, how to listen and know who's speaking, me and my flesh with its experiences, the devil or God. After all, how can one test the spirits unless they practice. Isn't that what a test is? :)

I thank the Lord for showing me dark matter in Genesis 1, though I doubt anyone will believe me, but that's fine with me. I'm just thankful for His word. :)

Just my take.

Greetings Complete.

I liked all the answers you received. They would be versions of the same answers I would give you, so let me add just one more thing.

While we normally must rely on cross-referencing back to scripture, searching for the inner witness, and for letting time just sort things out, there is one more thing you could be praying for to speed up the process: Pray for discernment, and/or the gift of discerning of spirits. This would cut through the confusion much more quickly, and while you might not be able to convince everyone that you yourself were hearing from God, at least you would know with certainly in your own heart and mind that what you were hearing was from God or not.

Hello there,

In Christ Jesus
Complete

This is where my enquiry began, it was not intended to be a discussion about spiritual gifts, which are not for this dispensation.

We have Christ Jesus our risen Lord in all His fulness, we need nothing more. We must put away childish things and move on to maturity. (1 Cor.13:11)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

This is where my enquiry began, it was not intended to be a discussion about spiritual gifts, which are not for this dispensation.

We have Christ Jesus our risen Lord in all His fulness, we need nothing more. We must put away childish things and move on to maturity. (1 Cor.13:11)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

This is not a 100% accurate interpretation

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back