About Jesus’ Warning To Members Of Today’s Laodicean Church

If you are a member of today’s Laodicean church, Jesus is talking to you …

Revelation 3:14-22 (NKJV)
And to the angel (or special spiritual spokesman) of the church of the Laodiceans write,
“These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
So then, because you are lukewarm(*), and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’ —
and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked
I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich;
and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness
may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,
I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.
To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne,
as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

(*) Everyone knew that the famous lukewarm spring water at Laodicea was good for nothing!
But also … “A lukewam church is in a more dangerous situation than a cold church.
Spiritually cold Christians are usually aware that they are cold, and they can repent.
But, spiritually lukewarm Christians usually think they are hot, and feel no need to repent.
They are not worried about their spiritual condition.”
poor: “spiritually poor”
blind: “they could not see their own spiritual condition”
naked: “they did not have the clothing of righteousness and holiness”
“There are many people in hell today who thought they were on the road to heaven!”

… all from The Applied New Testament Commentary (Thomas Hale, ChariotVictor Publishing)

We must maintain our righteous standing before the Lord:

“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous” (1 John 3:7)
“… whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.” (Acts 10:35)

It’s time to choose to be “(slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16)
“… so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.” (Romans 6:19)

Jesus reminds us of His NT covenant with us:
• “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love,
just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.” (John 15:10)
• “To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne,
as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Revelation 3:21)

God’s grace (unmerited favor) has given us the opportunity to go to heaven, but …
we must appreciate His mercy enough to enthusiastically co-operate with Him in our salvation!

The naked are those who have tried to cloth themselves in their own righteousness by the law. (fig leaves)
The poor are those who have not faith..(the law is not of faith)
The blind are those who are blinded by the law, (even unto this day a veil is upon the heart of those that look to Moses)

The naked are those who have tried to cloth themselves in their own righteousness by the law. (fig leaves)
The poor are those who have not faith..(the law is not of faith)
The blind are those who are blinded by the law, (even unto this day a veil is upon the heart of those that look to Moses)
Thomas Hale is a Spirit-filled missionary.
Smith Wigglesworth was a Spirit-filled evangelist.
If you can show where he said your above, I'll re-think my position.
Until then, I say there's NO way he was that blind and please remove his glorious pic from your Id.

Thomas Hale is a Spirit-filled missionary.
Smith Wigglesworth was a Spirit-filled evangelist.
If you can show where he said your above, I'll re-think my position.
Until then, I say there's NO way he was that blind and please remove his glorious pic from your Id.
lol...:LOL: Look friend you are in no position to tell me to do anything? Its clear according to the scriptures that these warnings are to these people who have turned from Gods righteousness that is by faith and to seek their own by the works of the law...they are "blind" according to scripture, they are without true faith according to the scripture, and they are naked according to the self-righteousness they attempt to cover their shame with there own dead works.

Look friend you are in no position to tell me to do anything? Its clear according to the scriptures that these warnings are to these people who have turned from Gods righteousness that is by faith and to seek their own by the works of the law...they are "blind" according to scripture, they are without true faith according to the scripture, and they are naked according to the self-righteousness they attempt to cover their shame with there own dead works.
Gee, you like to repeat yourself, don't you.

lol...:LOL: Look friend you are in no position to tell me to do anything? Its clear according to the scriptures that these warnings are to these people who have turned from Gods righteousness that is by faith and to seek their own by the works of the law...they are "blind" according to scripture, they are without true faith according to the scripture, and they are naked according to the self-righteousness they attempt to cover their shame with there own dead works.
It is clear there are as many interpretations as the Spirit grants.

The first thing I thought of when I read that scripture here again was the Joel Osteen and T.D Jakes ministry. And all those word of faith, 'feel good' pastors who don't condemn sin but instead make Jesus sound like a magician who grants wishes if you speak it into being.
Great thread. :)

Look Im not a fan of J.O. or T.D.J. but the scriptures are clearly speaking to the church's that are preaching a mixture of law and grace, and the carnal church in general.

“I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth! (‭Revelation‬ ‭3‬:‭15-16‬ NLT)

I recently attended the Gridiron Conference in Birmingham Alabama and Steve Farrar mentioned these verses in his sermon. I have always assumed that the cold water was useless and that being hot was our goal. Why then would Jesus wish someone be cold to Him? Cold water is beneficial and full of nutrients essential to life. The cold water ocean currents are necessary to replenish lost nutrients. Hot water purifies, it kills germs. The lukewarm water is what is useless, not the cold. Just something I found interesting and enlightening.

Look Im not a fan of J.O. or T.D.J. but the scriptures are clearly speaking to the church's that are preaching a mixture of law and grace, and the carnal church in general.
And yet the moral laws are still applicable. Jesus sacrificed as the propitiation for our sins and fulfilled the ceremonial law. But the moral laws still apply.

And yet the moral laws are still applicable. Jesus sacrificed as the propitiation for our sins and fulfilled the ceremonial law. But the moral laws still apply.
The righteousness of the law is fulfilled in us who walk in the Spirit ...Not the "letter" or the written code. This idea that the law is "broken" into parts is a sin against the law and the grace of Christ. Since this thread does not directly relate to that issue, I will leave it at that unless you would like to start another thread and we can have a good and biblical discussion of this most important issue. I would leave you with a few passages to consider...

Ro 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

2Co 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, (only the TEN COMMANDMENTS was written in stone)glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?

I prefer the teachings of Jesus.
Matthew 5:17-20

And no, we don't have to open a new thread to further this part of the discussion. But thank you for the kind offer. :)

... the scriptures are clearly speaking to the churches that are
preaching a mixture of law and grace, and the carnal church in general.
Perhaps this will explain what Jesus is talking about ...

“... I know your works ... you are lukewarm ... you say,
‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’ —
and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked —
... Therefore be zealous and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,

as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”

It's a trinity ...
1) time to repent of basically being satisfied/disinterested
2) time for an important personal relationship with the Lord (this was not written to the unsaved)
3) time to start overcoming those things which block eternal life

Salvation is a life-long process ... one's faith must endure until the end.
But, it's necessary to understand what saving faith is!

Last edited:
Perhaps this will explain what Jesus is talking about ...

“... I know your works ... you are lukewarm ... you say,
‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’ —
and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked —
... Therefore be zealous and repent.

Behold, I stand at the door and knock.
If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,

as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.”

It's a trinity ...
1) time to repent of basically being satisfied/disinterested
2) time for an important personal relationship with the Lord (this was not written to the unsaved)
3) time to start overcoming those things which block eternal life

Salvation is a life-long process ... one's faith must endure until the end.
But, it's necessary to understand what saving faith is!
Right those who are under the works of the law, are under the curse of the law. It is faith that "overcomes" and the law is not of faith!

I prefer the teachings of Jesus.
Matthew 5:17-20

And no, we don't have to open a new thread to further this part of the discussion. But thank you for the kind offer. :)
I thought I responded to this post? Anyway are you saying Paul is a false prophet, and his epistles are not scripture?

If you are a member of today’s Laodicean church, Jesus is talking to you …

Revelation 3:14-22 (NKJV)
And to the angel (or special spiritual spokesman) of the church of the Laodiceans write,
“These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God:
I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot.
So then, because you are lukewarm(*), and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth.
Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’ —
and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked
I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich;
and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness
may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door,
as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”

(*) Everyone knew that the famous lukewarm spring water at Laodicea was good for nothing!
But also … “A lukewam church is in a more dangerous situation than a cold church.
Spiritually cold Christians are usually aware that they are cold, and they can repent.
But, spiritually lukewarm Christians usually think they are hot, and feel no need to repent.
They are not worried about their spiritual condition.”
poor: “spiritually poor”
blind: “they could not see their own spiritual condition”
naked: “they did not have the clothing of righteousness and holiness”
“There are many people in hell today who thought they were on the road to heaven!”
… all from The Applied New Testament Commentary (Thomas Hale, ChariotVictor Publishing)

We must maintain our righteous standing before the Lord:

“… let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous” (1 John 3:7)
“… whoever fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.” (Acts 10:35)

It’s time to choose to be “(slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness?” (Romans 6:16)
“… so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.” (Romans 6:19)

Jesus reminds us of His NT covenant with us:
• “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love,
just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.” (John 15:10)
• “To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne,
as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.” (Revelation 3:21)

God’s grace (unmerited favor) has given us the opportunity to go to heaven, but …
we must appreciate His mercy enough to enthusiastically co-operate with Him in our salvation!

Jesus gives the interpretation of the parable of the "sower" Here is one groups of people that resembles these here in Revelations.

Luk 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

These people do not need anything as they have this worlds goods. They never get saved (born again) as they never produced any fruit in their lives. Yet these people go to Church and are counted as the elect but are not. They look just like any other Christian. Here is the scary part, they go to Church their entire lives thinking they are saved, but are not. They never fall away, they are lukewarm and need salvation. We know for sure that the Laodiceans that Jesus was speaking to here were not saved as he tells them that he is knocking at their heart to let him in. All born again Christians have Jesus living in their heart.

Matthew 24:3-8
Yes always trust Gods Word...not religion or traditions of man...:D

Ga 3:1 ¶ O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

Where do you get that? Jesus speaks of hot and cold each without being disparaging. But, you speak of the law with absolute contempt. So, how can you think Jesus is speaking about the law vs. grace? It's only lukewarmness that Jesus shows contempt for.

It sounds like the church of Laodicea was like a lot of modern mega-churches. The people were well off an comfortable, and didn't feel the need to repent or anything, like they also had contempt for the law? "Repent? What for? That's legalism!"

The church of Laodicea in Revelation 3 referred to a literal city that was established along the trade rout in Asia Minor called, Laodicea, and that committed to self-rule. Secular rule. Nothing of God about its governance or laws. That's why it was in the Revelation parable. Laodicea = Strong’s #2992 "Laos" - People & dike- (Strong’s #1349) = Haughty, proud. (Laodicea = proud people).

Back