Acting in Faith – Examples past and present we can learn from

This thread is looking at acts of faith and while individuals may be a part of different denominations, I don’t intend to discuss this. God has brought many to him that currently are found in many different denominations. We have evidence of God working in individuals through their acts of faith and love. It is my hope to share some of these stories amongst ourselves whether past or present along with the reasons we believe it to be an act of faith.

Paul saw something in the various Christian communities that revealed the people’s faith or lack of it. Feel free to share examples of faith and how this faith was evidenced. Recently I watched a movie and a documentary on the lives of individuals on YouTube that showed qualities of faith.

I'll start out with the Book of Hebrews.

Abel
Heb 11:4
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. (KJV)

Here we are told that Abel acted in faith when he performed his sacrifice to God. We are told very little about this act of faith, but we can get a good sense of the act.

Gen 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. (KJV)

It is quite likely that Abel provided a sacrifice from the sheep he kept, while Cain probably made a sacrifice from what he grew form the earth. We know that God judges based on what we have, so I don't believe the real difference in their action was so much what was sacrificed as it was their heart and the quality of their sacrifices. Abel gave a more excellent sacrifice suggesting that his sacrifice was of better quality. Abel probably sought a lamb without spot or blemish of any kind. I suspect that Cain kept the very best of his produce for himself or obtained an inferior animal sacrifice if that was what he did.

The evidence of faith would have been in the quality of the sacrifice, the trust that Abel had in God that while he gave his best that God would more than provide for him.

cp

Hello Chuck;

Thank you for starting this thread and I hope this will encourage some good discussion.

In my early 20s and 30s I had such a zeal for Christ. I wore Christian t-shirts, gave up all forms of music except praise and worship only, went to as many Christian concerts as we could, refuted those who smoked and drank, I felt like I was putting on a label.

(For those who know where I'm going with this) - I "expected" and "assumed" every Christian would think the same but I was in for a rude awakening.

My first wake up call was when I served at a men's recovery and shelter. These were men released from prison/jail, some came from dysfunctional families, homelessness, and some were strung out from drug and alcohol dependency. I was assigned to mentor some of the men, spend time over a cup of coffee, share the Bible, our faith and attend Worship events with them.

I learned not all the men were on the same page with their faith, others loved the Lord, but some were struggling with anger, depression, emotional breakdown and a very low self esteem. Some of the men who were released from prison were big, burly guys filled with bitterness and rage.

This ministry was in the Tenderloin of San Francisco, a high crime neighborhood. I served in this ministry for 20 years and prayed for wisdom when I walked to the men's recovery while spending time with the men. The Lord gave me His spirit of wisdom and caution.

Some men grew in their faith, graduated from the program, got reconnected with their wives and kids, were gainfully employed and served in the church.

Sadly, many dropped out, lived in the streets, others died of an overdose, violent street crime or failing health.

It took me time to wonder. What did I accomplish? Only God knows because the accomplishment belongs to Him.

Regardless, God showed me countless times in my life His love, mercy and grace given me. This wasn't some happy pill, but God Himself being LOVE.

2 John 3, 3 Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father's Son, in truth and love.

What would I do with His consistent compassion given to me? Give these men a happy pill, tell them what they want to hear and become a label? I feel this would have spoken falsely, but instead, the Lord led me to share the Truth, the Truth that life and the choices we make can be tough. But the Truth that God is LOVE can be exposed in our lives, delivering us if only we will let Him.

Today, I can now remember, in all those conversations and cups of coffee, my spirit showed me love, not just toward my brothers, but also how God's LOVE allowed them to show their encouragement toward me. These men also allowed me to share my setbacks in life and their hard knocks experience gave me perspective, enabling them to minister to me.

Praise His Wonderful Name!

Hello Chuck;

Thank you for starting this thread and I hope this will encourage some good discussion.

In my early 20s and 30s I had such a zeal for Christ. I wore Christian t-shirts, gave up all forms of music except praise and worship only, went to as many Christian concerts as we could, refuted those who smoked and drank, I felt like I was putting on a label.

(For those who know where I'm going with this) -
I "expected" and "assumed" every Christian would think the same but I was in for a rude awakening.

My first wake up call was when I served at a men's recovery and shelter. These were men released from prison/jail, some came from dysfunctional families, homelessness, and some were strung out from drug and alcohol dependency. I was assigned to mentor some of the men, spend time over a cup of coffee, share the Bible, our faith and attend Worship events with them.

I learned not all the men were on the same page with their faith, others loved the Lord, but some were struggling with anger, depression, emotional breakdown and a very low self esteem. Some of the men who were released from prison were big, burly guys filled with bitterness and rage.

This ministry was in the Tenderloin of San Francisco, a high crime neighborhood. I served in this ministry for 20 years and prayed for wisdom when I walked to the men's recovery while spending time with the men. The Lord gave me His spirit of wisdom and caution.

Some men grew in their faith, graduated from the program, got reconnected with their wives and kids, were gainfully employed and served in the church.

Sadly, many dropped out, lived in the streets, others died of an overdose, violent street crime or failing health.

It took me time to wonder. What did I accomplish? Only God knows because the accomplishment belongs to Him.

Regardless, God showed me countless times in my life His love, mercy and grace given me. This wasn't some happy pill, but God Himself being LOVE.

2 John 3, 3 Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us, from God the Father and from Jesus Christ the Father's Son, in truth and love.

What would I do with His consistent compassion given to me? Give these men a happy pill, tell them what they want to hear and become a label? I feel this would have spoken falsely, but instead, the Lord led me to share the Truth, the Truth that life and the choices we make can be tough. But the Truth that God is LOVE can be exposed in our lives, delivering us if only we will let Him.

Today, I can now remember, in all those conversations and cups of coffee, my spirit showed me love, not just toward my brothers, but also how God's LOVE allowed them to show their encouragement toward me. These men also allowed me to share my setbacks in life and their hard knocks experience gave me perspective, enabling them to minister to me.

Praise His Wonderful Name!

Thanks Bob,

Faith and Godly love are not natural to men. God has to give us these gifts and then we learn how to actually use what it is that God gives us. This is my experience anyway. Thanks for sharing the faith he began to see in some of these men.

It must be a wonderful thing as a minister to see people grow in faith and love. I too remember seeing faith in the actions of others, which greatly inspired me as a young Christian, though I didn't really understand what faith was at the time.

cp

I would think perhaps the examples in the thread would serve to define it. I thought that was the purpose of the post... to help others recognize God's hand in their lives by sharing our experiences... (but I could be mistaken.)

Yes, that was my intent was an open discussion on what it means to "act in faith." Hebrews 11 lists many that acted in Faith. Hebrews 11:1 defines faith which is a good study all by itself.

I hope for all here to explore what it means to act in faith. We are Christians. Heb 11:6 tells us it is impossible to please him without faith. So, it's an important topic that I hoped we could all share in.

In my life, I started with the question "what is Faith?" something I only thought I understood early on.

cp

Here is a more recent example of acting in faith.

Recently, I watched a movie and documentary of the life of George Mueller

His life is an example of acting in faith. Many will come to know that I like to ask questions when I approach God's word in study. In watching this video and a documentary, that I also found on Mueller's life, I saw many examples of his acting in faith.

George Mueller built a large orphanage in Bristol. He was not a man that was rich nor did he ask for donations. He built and ran this orphanage through prayer and trusting in God. He had to come to know God's will in the matter and then to trust that God would perform as he has said. George Mueller stood in faith, having perceived the will of God in this matter.

cp

This thread is looking at acts of faith and while individuals may be a part of different denominations, I don’t intend to discuss this. God has brought many to him that currently are found in many different denominations. We have evidence of God working in individuals through their acts of faith and love. It is my hope to share some of these stories amongst ourselves whether past or present along with the reasons we believe it to be an act of faith.

Paul saw something in the various Christian communities that revealed the people’s faith or lack of it. Feel free to share examples of faith and how this faith was evidenced. Recently I watched a movie and a documentary on the lives of individuals on YouTube that showed qualities of faith.

Many years ago, at the 1st church I served in, the Sunday School building met in a 5 room old house that had been donated to the church several years ago.
It looked like it was built in the 1800"s. They had nailed the tops of cans over holes in the floor to keep the rats out. NO exaggeration!!!!!!
The children, about 20 met in that building while the adults (about 50) met n the church auditorium.

No A/C and if you have ever visited Florida I should not have to say anything else. It was absolutely deplorable.

The church wanted to grow but did not understand why is was not doing so. The 1st thing that the deacon and myself did was to switch the children's place with the adults. Two Sundays in Florida in July was all it took to properly change "Attitudes'.

I suggested that we had to tare down that building and build a new modern building that actually "Invited" people to come and leave their children.

Problem......No Money!!!!

I explained that if God was in this decision then HE would make it possible and that there would be challenges but no obstacles!

Within 2 months we decided to proceed with NO way to pay and NO way to build it, but we broke ground anyway.

Two weeks later a wonderful man and and wife visited and saw the roped off landscape. He asked what we were trying to do and I told him.
He told me that he was looking for an "Old Fashioned" preacher and he was a retired home builder and asked if he could help? Now can you imagine how I felt at that news.

He joined the next week and we placed him in charge of the project. A week later, his best friend came and joined. He was ...get this......
a retired "Architect".

So we had a builder, we had a designer and neither one of them would take a penny. BUT........two weeks later another man and wife who loved to hear the "Old Time Gospel Hour" style of preaching and worship visited and joined. Well, as you guessed it, he was a retired Bank President and donated $25,000 to start the building and arranged a loan at his old bank for our project.

Within 2 months we were digging footers and with every single church member helping out, 10 months later we had a two story educational building!!!!

On Grand opening Sunday, we had 100 children in new class rooms!!!!!

Within ONE year, the church by special offering paid off the rest of the $100,000 loan!

Sadly for me. but gladly for them, .....I had the opportunity to bury every one of those wonderful Christians.

God at work is a glorious thing to see happen right in front of your eyes!

Many years ago, at the 1st church I served in, the Sunday School building met in a 5 room old house that had been donated to the church several years ago.
It looked like it was built in the 1800"s. They had nailed the tops of cans over holes in the floor to keep the rats out. NO exaggeration!!!!!!
The children, about 20 met in that building while the adults (about 50) met n the church auditorium.

No A/C and if you have ever visited Florida I should not have to say anything else. It was absolutely deplorable.

The church wanted to grow but did not understand why is was not doing so. The 1st thing that the deacon and myself did was to switch the children's place with the adults. Two Sundays in Florida in July was all it took to properly change "Attitudes'.

I suggested that we had to tare down that building and build a new modern building that actually "Invited" people to come and leave their children.

Problem......No Money!!!!

I explained that if God was in this decision then HE would make it possible and that there would be challenges but no obstacles!

Within 2 months we decided to proceed with NO way to pay and NO way to build it, but we broke ground anyway.

Two weeks later a wonderful man and and wife visited and saw the roped off landscape. He asked what we were trying to do and I told him.
He told me that he was looking for an "Old Fashioned" preacher and he was a retired home builder and asked if he could help? Now can you imagine how I felt at that news.

He joined the next week and we placed him in charge of the project. A week later, his best friend came and joined. He was ...get this......
a retired "Architect".

So we had a builder, we had a designer and neither one of them would take a penny. BUT........two weeks later another man and wife who loved to hear the "Old Time Gospel Hour" style of preaching and worship visited and joined. Well, as you guessed it, he was a retired Bank President and donated $25,000 to start the building and arranged a loan at his old bank for our project.

Within 2 months we were digging footers and with every single church member helping out, 10 months later we had a two story educational building!!!!

On Grand opening Sunday, we had 100 children in new class rooms!!!!!

Within ONE year, the church by special offering paid off the rest of the $100,000 loan!

Sadly for me. but gladly for them, .....I had the opportunity to bury every one of those wonderful Christians.

So this was an act of faith on your part. A great example that helps explain what it means to "act in faith."

cp

I've been spent much time learning the meaning of faith. I stumbled for many years, believing that I understood. Ten years ago allowed a great trial in my life. Through this trial I came to have a much better understanding of the meaning of faith and what it is to be a Christian. Feel free to read more here:

Last edited:
Without God in the picture there could not be acts of faith. If we say that God doesn't act in our lives, then we are saying that there is no reason to trust God because God is not working in us.

cp

I explained that if God was in this decision then HE would make it possible and that there would be challenges but no obstacles! Within 2 months we decided to proceed with NO way to pay and NO way to build it, but we broke ground anyway. Two weeks later a wonderful man and and wife visited and saw the roped off landscape. He asked what we were trying to do and I told him. He told me that he was looking for an "Old Fashioned" preacher and he was a retired home builder and asked if he could help? Now can you imagine how I felt at that news.

Hello brothers;

I agree the gospel is core and KEY in God's Word, or "Rock Solid Statements" that bring change in hearts. Should we use only that in our "acts of faith?"
Because then there would be another KEY element missing that Jesus used in His missions. That is a "common ground" with people.

Many people we reach out to at first by sharing the Word have no clue what we're talking about. Don't get me wrong. All have the potential to be discipled but in the beginning we must take steps to bring them to that point. However, people do understand
"life" so when we meet people and discuss struggles, challenges, heartbreaks, disasters, even the stress of success, work and projects, we develop a "common ground." This opens the door of relating to others and earning trust, thus allowing us to share our faith.

When Jesus requested a drink from the Samaritan woman at the well, she was already drawing water. This established a
"common ground" leading to a conversation where the Lord shared the Word and led the woman to agree with Jesus in her confession of sin.

Jesus was and is the master at relating to others. By emulating Christ's example this is where our "acts of faith" come in.

Major, your act of faith, to me, was a mountain moved! Question. When the retired home builder was seeking an old fashioned preacher, I wonder who that was? lol!

Chuck, I also have to say that our "acts of faith" can be hard work, but it can be exciting, amen?

God bless
you all in this discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back