Acting in Faith – Examples past and present we can learn from

I'll start out with the Book of Hebrews.

Abel
Heb 11:4
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. (KJV)

Here we are told that Abel acted in faith when he performed his sacrifice to God. We are told very little about this act of faith, but we can get a good sense of the act.

Gen 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. (KJV)

It is quite likely that Abel provided a sacrifice from the sheep he kept, while Cain probably made a sacrifice from what he grew form the earth. We know that God judges based on what we have, so I don't believe the real difference in their action was so much what was sacrificed as it was their heart and the quality of their sacrifices. Abel gave a more excellent sacrifice suggesting that his sacrifice was of better quality. Abel probably sought a lamb without spot or blemish of any kind. I suspect that Cain kept the very best of his produce for himself or obtained an inferior animal sacrifice if that was what he did.

The evidence of faith would have been in the quality of the sacrifice, the trust that Abel had in God that while he gave his best that God would more than provide for him.

cp
George Mueller, he must have had the gift of faith, as he establish an orphanage and raised up support and millions of dollars and yet never ever sent out any request for funds!

Hello brothers;

I agree the gospel is core and KEY in God's Word, or "Rock Solid Statements" that brings change in hearts. Should we use only that in our "acts of faith?"
Because then there would be another KEY element missing that Jesus used in His missions. That is a "common ground" with people.

Many people we reach out to at first by sharing the Word have no clue what we're talking about. Don't get me wrong. All have the potential to be discipled but in the beginning we must take steps to bring them to that point. However, people do understand
"life" so when we meet people and discuss struggles, challenges, heartbreaks, disasters, even the stress of success, work and projects, we develop a "common ground." This opens the door of relating to others and earning trust, thus allowing us to share our faith.

When Jesus requested a drink from the Samaritan woman at the well, she was already drawing water. This established a
"common ground" leading to a conversation where the Lord shared the Word and led the woman to agree with Jesus in her confession of sin.

Jesus was and is the master at relating to others. By emulating Christ's example this is where our "acts of faith" comes in.

Major, your act of faith, to me, was a mountain moved! Question. When the retired home builder was seeking an old fashioned preacher, I wonder who that was? lol!

Chuck, I also have to say that our "acts of faith" can be hard work, but it can be exciting, amen?

God bless
you all in this discussion.

Amen, Bob.

Acting in faith is a great deal of work, primarily getting past the idea of doing it on your own. Letting go so that God can do the work is half of the battle.

cp

How about if you use some specific examples to help us understand what you mean by "Acting in Faith."

A definition and sharing of basic terms should preceed meaningful discussion. Thanks, Blessings.

Acting in faith is putting faith to work in one's life. Faith is a gift of God, so it is not something we can have without God. As you quoted earlier from James

Jam 2:18-20 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. 19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. 20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? (KJV)

So acting in faith, is trusting God. It is also believing that God's word is sure and true and acting on that knowledge.

God must be present in us.

John 15:4-7 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 15 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 16 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 17 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. (KJV)

I hope this clarifies the meaning for you, of "acting in faith."

cp

How long did Abraham have to wait upon the Lord in order to receive isaac, the child of the promise?

Hello YeshuaFan;

How about Isaiah? His ministry spanned 60 years which to me was acting in faith before he was executed. Many of those years were not pleasant.

I want to share this. Praise God when we can act in faith, but many acting in faith doesn't always mean they will complete it.

Your thoughts, brother?

Hello YeshuaFan;

How about Isaiah? His ministry spanned 60 years which to me was acting in faith before he was executed. Many of those years were not pleasant.

I want to share this. Praise God when we can act in faith, but many acting in faith doesn't always mean they will complete it.

Your thoughts, brother?
According to Jewish tradition, his body was stuffed into a hollow log, and was split in half!

Hello brothers;

I agree the gospel is core and KEY in God's Word, or "Rock Solid Statements" that bring change in hearts. Should we use only that in our "acts of faith?"
Because then there would be another KEY element missing that Jesus used in His missions. That is a "common ground" with people.

Many people we reach out to at first by sharing the Word have no clue what we're talking about. Don't get me wrong. All have the potential to be discipled but in the beginning we must take steps to bring them to that point. However, people do understand
"life" so when we meet people and discuss struggles, challenges, heartbreaks, disasters, even the stress of success, work and projects, we develop a "common ground." This opens the door of relating to others and earning trust, thus allowing us to share our faith.

When Jesus requested a drink from the Samaritan woman at the well, she was already drawing water. This established a
"common ground" leading to a conversation where the Lord shared the Word and led the woman to agree with Jesus in her confession of sin.

Jesus was and is the master at relating to others. By emulating Christ's example this is where our "acts of faith" come in.

Major, your act of faith, to me, was a mountain moved! Question. When the retired home builder was seeking an old fashioned preacher, I wonder who that was? lol!

Chuck, I also have to say that our "acts of faith" can be hard work, but it can be exciting, amen?

God bless
you all in this discussion.
My dear brother.......you have never seen anyone more "old fashioned" than me.

I am one who remembers and knew how to use a Sears and Robuck catalog!!!

How long did Abraham have to wait upon the Lord in order to receive isaac, the child of the promise?
Abraham was 75 years old when he first received the promise, and Gen. 21:5 tells us he was 100 years old when Isaac was born.

I am going right now to talk to my wife and read that verse to her and she if she is willing.

If she does not die laughing and If I post tomorrow, you will know that she did not kill me in the night. (y)

What is your witness of faith with deeds?

Why does there have to be a witness of something you do in faith to be validated?????

My I ask you what you think is the most important thing that God has told us to do???

Mow the yard of the neighbor so that the whole neighborhood can see you?
Take a meal to a friend, but make sue there is some there to see you?
Take a relative to a doctor visit and have him sign your travel voucher?
Be Argumentative with someone on a website over nothing?

Those are all good deeds to do and maybe you will have someone be a witness and maybe you won't, but is that the most important thing we can do.
(Maybe not all of them).

It must be remembered that every believer is called to be a gospel pioneer as well. We are all missionaries in whatever context God has placed us—whether that be as a student, a teacher, a business man, or some other profession. Wherever God has placed us, he placed us there to be a witness.

Matthew 28:18-19 says............,
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Now if you share the gospel with someone, they do not accept today but maybe a month later they think it through and then accept Christ.......
but there is NO Witness------Are they saved because there was no witness?????

We All should do good deeds for others NOT because someone will see us but BECAUSE THERE IS NO ONE TO SEE US!!!!!

That my dear friend is what Christian Character is!!!! DOING WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE WHEN NO ONE IS WATCHING BECAUSE IT NEEDED TO BE DONE!`

"Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and praise your father which is in heaven." [Jesus, Matt. 5:16]

That is 100% true and I agree completely. But that does not say or suggest that what we do must be witnessed by anyone!

The Pharisees acted to be seen of men, true Christians act to glorify God, and care little what people may think of them, except as by their conduct others may he brought to honor God, yet they should so live that people may see from their conduct what is the proper nature of their religion.

If our good deeds must be witnessed, then who are you doing those good deeds for........the one who needs them done.....or "You"?

It seems I had no idea what "witness in faith" meant. Regardless, that is another topic. I hope to continue to discuss examples of "acting in faith."

Heb 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. (KJV)

Noah believed God when he was told of God that there would be a worldwide flood. We see God telling Noah what he was going to do:

Gen 6:13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.

Gen 6:17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. (KJV)

Noah did all that the Lord commanded of him.

1 Pet 3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. (KJV)

So what was Noah's act of faith? First of all he believed God, he didn't question what he was told, he just did it. No doubt Noah and his sons endured much ridicule as they built the ark. They probably asked, why such a large ship, how are you going to assemble, move on board, care for all of these animals safely? It was probably a project that took a long time to build all the while Noah and his sons endured ridicule and maintained their faith in Gods words.

Noah had to rely on God for the material to make the ark, for able bodied help, for the means of bringing the animals and caring for them. It was a huge project. Many details we don't know, but that act is memorialized for our instruction.

cp

Major. Your story is awesome. 🥰

So, Does acting in faith always have to have a happy ending? Well maybe not...at least not in a usual sense....

I once was led in complete faith to uncover a colleague at work. I felt like an undercover cop but it was eye opening, as what transpired was that, although she was very friendly and fun, she was running to the office tittle tattling about me to the manager. What I was led to do, was fish out the letters from under the managers office to see if she had written any letters to the manager about me. I found one that was just a note with no envelope and could read it openly! There was a full list of really silly things she had wrote about me to the managers.

The complaints were so petty, I shook my head in disbelief.

That day, God showed me not anger, but compassion, and I pitied her ways.

We can trust or have confidence in God when we know we are asking according to his will.

1 John 5:14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: (KJV)

God expresses his will in the scriptures. Often we need to pray for discernment in a matter, so that we can understand the will of God.

My dear brother.......you have never seen anyone more "old fashioned" than me.

I am one who remembers and knew how to use a Sears and Robuck catalog!!!

I'd like to enlighten my story where the acting in faith comes in. My late Grandfather and I looked at a Sears and Roebuck catalog and found this really cool electric guitar. It was only $6.98 so he ordered it for me. I was 11 years old.

When it came (in the mail) I knew something was wrong. I took the guitar out of the box and it was only 15 inches long. This is where the examples past and present we can learn from comes in. Next time pay attention to what you're asking.

The guys in the band made fun of my little toy guitar. lol!

The God send in this story is my Grandpa didn't know the difference but I thanked him big time for buying me the gift.

Back