Anybody Else Want To Study The Book Of Daniel?

Regarding the "insanity" for 7 yrs. and being "normal" before and after gives me pause. I'm reaching for something thoughts wise that isn't solid right at the moment. I suppose because it seems mental health issues, once descended, rarely revert to normal again. Altho my BA is in psychology, I don't remember this classification. I'm sure it's there but I wonder what the actual symptoms are today along with recovery rates. I can't quite imagine living 7 yrs. out in the wild - surviving on grass and dew. The lesson seems more divine - lesson/punishment? for pride. And obviously, Neb remembers his previous state of dysfuntion when he reverts back to normal. Maybe that's adding? Could be they kept him in a pasture in back of the palace and then told Neb when he recovered. And I wonder what Daniel thought during this 7 yr. judgement?

Dan 4:2 I thought it good to shew the signs and wonders that the high God hath wrought toward me.
Dan 4:3 How great are his signs! and how mighty are his wonders! his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion is from generation to generation.
Dan 4:4 I Nebuchadnezzar was at rest in mine house, and flourishing in my palace:
Dan 4:5 I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts upon my bed and the visions of my head troubled me.
Dan 4:6 Therefore made I a decree to bring in all the wise men of Babylon before me, that they might make known unto me the interpretation of the dream.
Dan 4:7 Then came in the magicians, the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers: and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof.
Dan 4:8 But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and before him I told the dream, saying,
Dan 4:9 O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof.

If NEB said God is most high ... wonderful His signs... Why did he not call Daniel first instead of the wise men of Babylon?

If NEB said God is most high ... wonderful His signs... Why did he not call Daniel first instead of the wise men of Babylon?

Chronology-wise, at the time Neb was asking for an interpetation, he was still obviously not convinced until after the humble-down. And I would say that even tho Neb gave God pre-eminence and glory first, he still kept most of his old bad habits? Idk. We only have the 2 dreams of Neb's that the old occult crowd couldn't handle.

Chronology-wise, at the time Neb was asking for an interpetation, he was still obviously not convinced until after the humble-down. And I would say that even tho Neb gave God pre-eminence and glory first, he still kept most of his old bad habits? Idk. We only have the 2 dreams of Neb's that the old occult crowd couldn't handle.

It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks isn't it?

Regarding the "insanity" for 7 yrs. and being "normal" before and after gives me pause. I'm reaching for something thoughts wise that isn't solid right at the moment. I suppose because it seems mental health issues, once descended, rarely revert to normal again. Altho my BA is in psychology, I don't remember this classification. I'm sure it's there but I wonder what the actual symptoms are today along with recovery rates. I can't quite imagine living 7 yrs. out in the wild - surviving on grass and dew. The lesson seems more divine - lesson/punishment? for pride. And obviously, Neb remembers his previous state of dysfuntion when he reverts back to normal. Maybe that's adding? Could be they kept him in a pasture in back of the palace and then told Neb when he recovered. And I wonder what Daniel thought during this 7 yr. judgement?

Without a doubt his insanity was a judgment from God.

Daniel 4:28-31 indicates that God judged him..........
"All this came upon King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 At the end of twelve months he was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, 30 and the king answered and said, “Is not this great Babylon, which I have built by my mighty power as a royal residence and for the glory of my majesty?” 31 While the words were still in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, “O King Nebuchadnezzar, to you it is spoken: The kingdom has departed from you".

Could it have been that Daniel was away on business and simply was not there?

OK The common answers seem to be 1. Not there, 2. Neb still did not believe, 3, Custom held the "Staff guys got first try,

I still do not KNOW but I think I like Neb still did not believe.

Maybe he believed in Daniel's God, but he missed the fact that Daniel's God is the only God. This could be why when he had the second dream he called the wise men first instead of Daniel.

OK The common answers seem to be 1. Not there, 2. Neb still did not believe, 3, Custom held the "Staff guys got first try,

I still do not KNOW but I think I like Neb still did not believe.

Good points Steve and we really just do not know. Remember that Daniel was not around when his 3 friends were facing the fiery furnace either.

I would personally lean to the idea he was gone. The king had entrusted him to areas of ministry and going to different places would seem possible to me but again...I do not know.

Good points Steve and we really just do not know. Remember that Daniel was not around when his 3 friends were facing the fiery furnace either.

I would personally lean to the idea he was gone. The king had entrusted him to areas of ministry and going to different places would seem possible to me but again...I do not know.
GONE IS GOOD, NEB DON'T LOOK SO BAD THAT WAY. POSITIVE IS ALWAYS BETTER.

Maybe he believed in Daniel's God, but he missed the fact that Daniel's God is the only God. This could be why when he had the second dream he called the wise men first instead of Daniel.

OK THEN I MISSED A GOOD ONE, The common answers seem to be 1. Not there, 2. Neb still did not believe, 3, Custom held the "Staff guys got first try, MIXED UP AND MISSED THE POINT. Sounds more like the church all the time!

It is kinda scary that even the prophets were disbelieved until their sayings came true. And the religious leaders of Christ's time, obviously had it wrong and they really should have known from their own scriptures. I still would like to know what Daniel thought during the 7 yr. judgement. It's possible he was consulted and told them, "just wait - 7 yrs and he will come out of it,"

It is kinda scary that even the prophets were disbelieved until their sayings came true. And the religious leaders of Christ's time, obviously had it wrong and they really should have known from their own scriptures. I still would like to know what Daniel thought during the 7 yr. judgement. It's possible he was consulted and told them, "just wait - 7 yrs and he will come out of it,"

And it may be that God just did not tell him that information.

Daniel 12:4
" 4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”

And it may be that God just did not tell him that information.

Daniel 12:4
" 4 But you, Daniel, shut up the words and seal the book, until the time of the end. Many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall increase.”

Huh....there's that phrase "to and fro" that I have come to associate with the devil. The raven that went to and fro and never returned to Noah. Satan in Job, saying he has been to and fro on the earth. It just hit me that here it is again. Thanks Major - fr bringing that up.

Huh....there's that phrase "to and fro" that I have come to associate with the devil. The raven that went to and fro and never returned to Noah. Satan in Job, saying he has been to and fro on the earth. It just hit me that here it is again. Thanks Major - fr bringing that up.

"To and Fro" IMO gives the indication of running about under stress and pressure.

I believe that in Daniel 4 it means that after the Rapture, the world will be frantic in trying to find the answers to calm their fears. They will be running
"to and fro"..........."looking everywhere" to find some kind of answer and that will include the Bible too.

But that is just me. A lot of people think that Daniel is speaking about the information age we live in today with cell phones and TV's and computers.
That may very well be the case.

I was curious so I did a word search on to and fro - 137 matches!!

Gen_8:7 And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth.
2Ki_4:35 Then he returned, and walked in the house to and fro; and went up, and stretched himself upon him: and the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
2Ch_16:9 For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to shew himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him. Herein thou hast done foolishly: therefore from henceforth thou shalt have wars.
Job_1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
Job_2:2 And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.
Job_7:4 When I lie down, I say, When shall I arise, and the night be gone? and I am full of tossings to and fro unto the dawning of the day.
Job_13:25 Wilt thou break a leaf driven to and fro? and wilt thou pursue the dry stubble?
Psa_107:27 They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end.
Pro_21:6 The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death.
Isa_24:20 The earth shall reel to and fro like a drunkard, and shall be removed like a cottage; and the transgression thereof shall be heavy upon it; and it shall fall, and not rise again.
Isa_33:4 And your spoil shall be gathered like the gathering of the caterpiller: as the running to and fro of locusts shall he run upon them.
Isa_49:21 Then shalt thou say in thine heart, Who hath begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am desolate, a captive, and removing to and fro? and who hath brought up these? Behold, I was left alone; these, where had they been?
Jer_5:1 Run ye to and fro through the streets of Jerusalem, and see now, and know, and seek in the broad places thereof, if ye can find a man, if there be any that executeth judgment, that seeketh the truth; and I will pardon it.
Jer_49:3 Howl, O Heshbon, for Ai is spoiled: cry, ye daughters of Rabbah, gird you with sackcloth; lament, and run to and fro by the hedges; for their king shall go into captivity, and his priests and his princes together.
Eze_27:19 Dan also and Javan going to and fro occupied in thy fairs: bright iron, cassia, and calamus, were in thy market.
Dan_12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.
Joe_2:9 They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief.
Amo_8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
Zec_1:10 And the man that stood among the myrtle trees answered and said, These are they whom the LORD hath sent to walk to and fro through the earth.
Zec_1:11 And they answered the angel of the LORD that stood among the myrtle trees, and said, We have walked to and fro through the earth, and, behold, all the earth sitteth still, and is at rest.
Zec_4:10 For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth.
Zec_6:7 And the bay went forth, and sought to go that they might walk to and fro through the earth: and he said, Get you hence, walk to and fro through the earth. So they walked to and fro through the earth.
Eph_4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
23 verses found, 137 matches

Genesis 1 verse found 4 matches
2 Kings 1 verse found 8 matches
2 Chronicles 1 verse found 4 matches
Job 4 verses found 24 matches
Psalms 1 verse found 5 matches
Proverbs 1 verse found 3 matches
Isaiah 3 verses found 17 matches
Jeremiah 2 verses found 13 matches
Ezekiel 1 verse found 5 matches
Daniel 1 verse found 6 matches
Joel 1 verse found 3 matches
Amos 1 verse found 9 matches
Zechariah 4 verses found 30 matches
Ephesians 1 verse found 6 matches

I was curious so I did a word search on to and fro - 137 matches!!.

Just for FUN, I love these word studies.
How simple sayings got into the bible is a fascinating study. Old Idioms often just become standard in ENGLISH that were not in the original.

וַיְשַׁלַּ֖ח And sent forth אֶת־ he הָֽעֹרֵ֑ב a raven וַיֵּצֵ֤א to go out יָצוֹא֙ to וָשׁ֔וֹב turn from one place to another עַד־ until יְבֹ֥שֶׁת were dried up הַמַּ֖יִם the waters מֵעַ֥ל from הָאָֽרֶץ׃ off the earth

..............................................To and fro
And sent out he a raven to go out and turn from one place to another until were dried up the waters from off the earth.

Idiom from Old Norse to middle English

to and fro, alternating from one place to another; back and forth:

The trees were swaying to and fro in the wind

Back