Are Sins Equal?

Are Sins Equal?

Are sins equal in the eyes of God? I know that any one sin will send you to hell, but for me, killing someone is alot worse than say... lying.

We learn a valuable lesson from the Ten Commandments. The first five are sins against God and His Creation, while the second five are sins against man. They were placed in that order by God as He gave those orders to Moses and in the order of importance.

There are varying degrees of severity regarding the other laws. For instance, the Murder Laws as found in Genesis 9:5-6 (KJV), Deuteronomy 18, 19, 20 (KJV) and in 1 John 3:15 (KJV) are much more severe in penalty than the divorce laws, for instance. As Christians, our cleansing, so to speak, is from our sincere repentence. But we see from the scripture that there is no forgiveness on earth for one who commits premeditated homicide. There are other laws, such as the Food Laws in Leviticus 11 (KJV) that are advisory in nature. These are sins against one's own body for health reasons. Many argue that the old laws are no longer in effect - but that is incorrect due to centuries of false teachings. Christ said to us all in Matthew 5:17 (KJV), "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil."

Our bodies have not changed since God created them. The food laws apply today as they did then. Some denominations quote 1 Timothy 4:4 (KJV) as a repeal of the food laws, however, what they do NOT understand is that the subject of the paragraph in 1 Timothy 4 (KJV) is contained back in verse 3...
1 Timothy 4:3 (KJV), "Forbidding to marry, [and commanding] to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth."

God DID NOT create scavengers to be received as food, as listed in Leviticus 11 (KJV). Therefore the statement in 1 Timothy 4:4 (KJV) is referring ONLY to those foods which God hath created to be received; NOT all foods. God created scavengers to clean up the garbage and illness causing decaying matter on earth so as to allow man to be more healthy. When those who do not understand God's Word, consume the meat of scavengers, such as pork and shellfish, they are consuming the toxins that these scavengers have consumed. Ask any biologist, who is not on the payroll of the pork industry, and they will tell you that pigs do not have sweat glands and retain most all of the toxins that they consume. Please read Leviticus 11 (KJV) for a list of the clean (to be received) and unclean (not to be received) animals. Your future health and well-being may depend upon it.

The blood sacrifice laws from the Old Testament were nailed to the cross with Christ. He shed His blood for our salvation once and for all. The rest of the laws still apply and should be followed to the best of our abilities. If you mess up, repent from your heart and God will hear your prayer.

There is a specific scriptre that does say that no one sin is greater than any other sin. Every sin can be forgiven. I cant remember where it says that, but in the Bible, yes, every sin is equall to every other sin.

the impact of that sin here on earth i always different, but int he eyes of the Lord, theyre all the same. Jaywalking is just as bad as genocide, really. here on earth, no, theyre different and one is treated differently. In Heaven, all sins are the same.

...but someone told me that there was an inforgiveable sin, which i turning your back on God, specifically with the intention of going against Him. Knowing He exists, but rebelliously not following Him. The devil's sin, is what I call it, because its one of the things that got Lucifer thrown form Heaven; rebelling against God is supposed to be the worst sin there is. Because even an ultimately and infinitely loving God will not forgive you if you do that.

Someone told me that, but in a way, I still kind of don't believe her. I believe God will forgive anyone, if they only asked for it, no matter what their sins are, for I believe if God is an infinitely loving being, even He cn forgive the devil, but only if ol' scratch asked for it first.

but thats just what I believe, and I believe its within God's perfect plan. After He destroys the devil, I hope the devil asks for forgiveness if possible. yeah it sounds crazy. but this is just another step towards progression...

Please refer to Luke 12:10-13 (KJV) for a description of The Unpardonable Sin.

This scripture details the time period ( as told in Revelation ) when The antichrist is here pretending to be Christ, and we as God's Elect, are delivered up to him to witness against him in the synagogue of Satan. IF WE REFUSE to allow the Holy Spirt to speak through us at that time, by using our own words rather than God's, that is the unpardonable sin and is the ONLY unpardonable sin.

Many persons who are never taught the content of Revelation do not know that the antichrist arrives FIRST for a 5 month time period claiming to BE Christ. Those persons who are unaware of his deception will be deceived into thinking that the antichrist IS Christ and will worship him because they don't know any better. Know and understand the book of Revelation and do not be deceived!

`

woah, I didn't know that there were TWO unpardonble sins! ...or was the one I said the same thing? I dunno, I'm confused! lol

so no, all sins arent all equal?

but, this leads me to a different question: the Bible says God is infinitely loving, patient, and infinitely graceful, does it not? The Bible also says God is jealous God.

now how do the two fit together? How can one be jealous, but at the same time a hundred percent loving and patient? this is what always confused me about the Bible, the simple contradiction to think God as the perfect being, but yet, He still holds very simple, human, finite emotions that would lead one to believe that God is NOT infintely loving or patient, but rather, just like any stubborn, irrational, jealous human being? How does one love all regardless, yet still have envy, a sin. And we all know God cannot sin for He is perfect. Yet it says in plain text that God has jealousy. What gives? Its not like this lessens my faith in God, it just lessens my reliance on people for getting His words right. I believe the Bible was God breathed, but people's imperfections led to "imperfections" in the Bible, BUT I also believe that perfection includes imperfection; without evil, there are no good deeds. Without death, there would probably be no life either. This is why I think the Bible is perfect with its own imperfections. Yes, this sounds contradictory, but for every day theres a night, and for every up there a down, and without one or the other, quite possibly, the other might not ever even be able to exist! People ask me why do bad things happen? because without those bad things, nothing would be considered good, thats why. happiness justifies anger, and vice versa. The opposite of love is not hate; the opposite love is USE. Using people and not caring about them is much worse than hating someone from afar. but then again, whats the difference between one sin and another? Why is one sin impardonable, while others are pardonable? Murder is pardonable, but being tricked by the devil into thinking he is christ isnt pardonable? One you did by your own malicious intentions, and the other something you were deceived into, possibly entrapped into it, but yet one carries a higher consequence? This also doesnt make much sense to me, but then again, imperfection within perfection doesnt make much sense either, so ~shrug~ Its kind of bizarre actually. The Bible says the antichrist will be someone who says he is christ, nd we arent supposed to fall for it. So when the REAL Christ comes to town, how are we to know? IF we're supposed to reject anyone who calls themselves christ, wht happens when the real christ walks up, after years of rejecting fake christ after fake christ? That my friends is a true test of faith.

I believe He is infinitely loving, and eventually WILL forgive those who go against Him, knowingly or not, but it will just take time, perhaps an eternity or two. I believe ALL will be returned to His heart, EVENTUALLY. sure, some of us might have to go through hell first. Sounds crazy, no? But, I read somewhere that after Jesus was crucified, He went to hell to release all those who had been imprisoned in the pit before His sacrafice, because He felt they were unjustly put there. Something like that. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Anyone ever heard of Jesus going to hell first to release people? I think I heard an old pastor say something about it, or I saw it on the history channel. I forget.

Are sins equal in the eyes of God? I know that any one sin will send you to hell, but for me, killing someone is alot worse than say... lying.

No all sin is not equal. Jesus even taught that.

Jhn 19:11 Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power [at all] against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin

Also Matt 11:21-24.

Yes any one sin is enough to send anyone to hell for all eternity, but keep in mind that there are different levels of torment due to differnt levels of sin.

Luk 12:48 But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few [stripes]. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more.

Also in society the lord laid down different types of punishment for sifferent types if crimes. So no all sin is not equal, but any sin makes us hell bound and all is paid for by the Lord if we repent.

well, some people say sins arent equal, some people say sins are equal.

Theres scripture to suggest either theories are correct. Take your pick.

well, some people say sins arent equal, some people say sins are equal.

Theres scripture to suggest either theories are correct. Take your pick.

Actually scripture does not. Scripture clearly states that there are differences in sin. I gave some referneces. One can only pick to believe scripture or reject it for their own beliefs.

well Ive found scripture to suggest both in my experience. So one can only choose to believe both. :)

just in how you as an individual interpret it all, thats it. Its not like its a big deal or anything.

i dont know where, i just remember as a youth my youth pastor telling me that all sins are considered bad in God's eye. ~shrug~ and theres no degree of bad, juts bad alone.

All sin leads to hell, but the consequences here on earth can vary.

Not really making a claim, just putting my thoughts into some form. Sound reasonable?

i dont know where, i just remember as a youth my youth pastor telling me that all sins are considered bad in God's eye. ~shrug~ and theres no degree of bad, juts bad alone.

If we don't accept Jesus as our Savior and Lord, we cannot be saved. It is because no matterhow much we try, we cannot be sinless. Even tiny white lie cannot be forgiven if we don't accept Jesus.

But after we accept Jesus, as long as we continue to repent when we sin, we are fogiven. We will not commit big sin if we are with Christ because we do our best to be godly in everything we do. We have to remember to be faithful to Jesus until the end. How we do it? by reading the Bible and strive to obey everything that He teaches in the New Testament daily.

What if you know that it is a sin but you don't have the self-control to stop yourself from doing it? Are you going still going to be forgiven if you repent for it right after you've done it?

What if you know that it is a sin but you don't have the self-control to stop yourself from doing it? Are you going still going to be forgiven if you repent for it right after you've done it?

The answer to that lies in the heart of the person repeating and repenting the sin and God. We can only speculate.
God does forgive those who unwillingly fall to temptation and judges harshly those who justify their sin by contining in it while claiming Him as Lord.

From the perspective of a brother in Christ I have to ask. (especialy if the sin is continualy being repeated). What is the manner of repentance???

To repent means to turn away from, to use every means at ones disposal to prevent a repeat of the sin. To actively seek help from brothers and sisters in Christ and God so as to insure that one doesn't fall to temptation.
I won't say never for one never knows the exact plan God has for the individual. But certianly if one truely wants to and repents the chances are that they with the Lords help can prevent repeated sins.

Also (from my own experience) I have to say that those of us who not being God and needing to discern such things about ourselves and others need to concider more than is it sin and being repeated.

My sin was adultry (more acuratly ) living for the pleasure of the flesh.
This was a sin that consumed me and my life. I went for nearly a year removing every temptation I could find. put up fences, walls and made every change I could think of. I had not back slid into it even one time in over a year. Thought I was home free (so to speak). Thought I was good to go. Thought I could hold my head up and be proud of my accomplishment for I thought I was free of that sin. God needed to teach me some more about me and my sin and His grace.
I literaly bumped into one of those I had been with in my sin. There far away from my safe guards and support. I was tempted beyond my personal self control.
Did I fall??? Yes in a manner of speaking I did.But not nearly to the point I had come from. I had lunch with her. We talked and laffed and the old time temptation and desire was coming back. Just being with her in a public place was a sin. But before it could happen God made for me a way of escape and I took it. I learned valuable lessons from that experience. Lessons about myself sin temptation and gods crace that i couldn't have or wouldn't have learned any other way.

So I say to you don't judge anothers sin based on one observance or failure avoid to sin.
Discern the direction of their life. Are they moving from the bigger sins to the smaller ones??? Are they having longer periods of sinlessness? Are they making a sincere effort to avoid it?? Are they learning from the failures??? or are they continuing unchanged???
That is the question. Is there a change from sin to sin less-ness?? Is there progress??

A true follower of Christ will offer a helping hand before pointing an accusing finger.

Nope. I thought this for years, but God has shown me quite differently in the past month or so.

Like Theophilus, my #1 weakness is lusting after the flesh. For 20 years, I have had the desire to see unclean images...and I'm only 28 years old. Fortunately, I've never acted on them, but the desire to see them has kept me chained to sin for the entire duration. I prayed to God literally hundreds of times to take the desire out of my heart. I would be "clean" for months at a time, but always gave back in. I've learned 3 VERY important things recently.

1. GOD HATES ALL SIN. Even when I was "clean", I would still look longingly at lustful images such as billboards, girls in beer commercials, women in the mall, etc. This isn't so bad, I thought, it's not like what I used to look at. I was so wrong. I never gave up the desire, but tried to supress it. All sin is hated by God, nothing can be unclean and stand before His glory.

2. God will not take this desire out of my heart. I used to pray that He would remove it, do the hard work, and I'd be "cured." I know now that this is ridiculous. God wants me to have the desire for two reasons. First, it should be directed 100% to my wife. Now that it is, I cannot tell you how much better our lives are, but that's another story. Second, and more importantly, God has given me this weakness so that I will rely on Him. I can't do it alone, period...I need Him.

3. I never truly repented. I turned from sin, promised to never to it again, and felt better for a period. But, after He got ahold of me after recent weakness, He showed me how I never repented. After a long conversation with Him and true repentance, I now HATE my sin.

What if you know that it is a sin but you don't have the self-control to stop yourself from doing it?

From my very recent and personal experience, you have not truly repented. Now, I cannot even stand the idea of lustful images. In the past, I still wanted them in my life, but simply denied myself looking, which always led to failure. Now, with the Holy Spirit with me at all times, the thought of messing up hurts me. I still don't have the self-control and never will. But, the Holy Spirit is the definition of what I wanted self-control to be. HE gets me through the temptation. In the past, I would see a woman bend over, relish the image, and think I got away with a quick look. Now, I see the same thing, immediately turn away, and hate the idea of it. Does that make sense? I no longer want the sin, whereas before I still did. I NOW HATE MY SIN, which leads to the Holy Spirit giving me self-control.

That's a long answer, but my life has been changed due to these revelations....maybe it will help others.

God hates all sin but will not reject a person who is honestly struggling but still failing at times. I have had problems in my own life that I struggled and failed repeatedly each time I felt more guilt and condemation until I finally couldn't stand the thought of it anymore. I thank God for the conviction of His Holy Spirit. The bible plainly declares in Rom 8:4 "walk in the spirit and you will not fufill the lusts of the flesh" but each one of us also has the ability to walk in the flesh at any given time- like my brother Paul I sometimes cry-
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
You will never live up to God's righteous standards outside of Christ's sacrifice- Paul the Apostle couldn't and you can't either.
Who shall deliver me- my Lord and Saviour Jesus - He is the only one who never sins and never fails - Trying to fufill this in your own strength falls under the catagory of presenting your own righteousness to God. A loving Father discilplines His children but doesn't disown them when they fall or make a mess- I have faults and failures but by faith I am the righteousness of God in Christ. As I am renewed in my mind ( area by area as I come into agreement with God's Word) I am able to step out in faith and live this expierientially. Salvation is instant- Sanctification is what happens when we walk with God and grow in His knowledge and grace.

Looks like we are on the same page here. Sin of the flesh is also my biggest sin. I'm trying to do the best I can to control myself but whenever I do it, I feel so bad right after and will pray to GOD to forgive me and give me strength not to do it again. These past few weeks, I'm winning. I hope I could keep myself from doing (or even thinking about) lustful things. It is not really as easy as I thought it would be.

What you guys said are enlightening.

Please help me with this. I'm trying to interpret Romans 7-8. Apostle Paul talks about the Law and Sin and the Holy Spirit in there. What's your interpretation about these verses?

tlc,

Great scriptures. If we're as similar as I think we are, I find two passages that you referenced as particularly relevant:

15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[c] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

That is exactly how I feel about my struggle. If I do what I desire, I'll give in every time no matter how hard I try. My desires are not God's, however powerful they may be. I want to do better, but am far too weak.

5Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man[h] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so. 8Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.

This is currently the most meaningful scripture in my life as I struggle to change my evil habits. Mindset is key. Since I've repented, God has begun to heal my thought life and allowed me to begin cleansing the images that date back so many years. It's amazing how I can feel the Holy Spirit with me always now, exactly what I always wanted MY willpower to be. What I've learned is that MY willpower is nothing, it is evil, and it is not of God. But, HIS SPIRIT is perfect and will guide me. I still face the burden of struggling with this, but God has shown me that I'm too weak, only He can help me deal with it. When truly walking with the Holy Spirit and hating my sin, only then can I even begin to face this struggle head on.

Back