Are Tatoos in the Right Context of Scripture Acceptable?

As far as I have found, the Bible does not make these distinctions about the kinds of land and how sabbath laws are different depending on whether one is in public or private.
i thought maybe it was strange worship practices . but you are correct lots man made

i pretty much agree my only and only thought is it also condemns shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard. while i have no beard and i dont shave around the sides of my head.. if we say one is wrong then we must go by all is wrong . i have girl cousin loaded it tatts on both arms/ my only tattoo is a dot on the back of my arm. i call it my stupid dot. i was stupid' for getting it

There are 613 cermonial laws. They are all given for a reason. I have never looked into the shaving things but there is a reason.
My 1st thought about the shaving thing would be that the Prohibitions against shaving likely stem from the fact that in Biblical times, shaving or shaping facial hair was a pagan practice and God wanted His people to be different.

But again.....I do not know. Tattooing was again...a pagan practice for slavery identification.

i pretty much agree my only and only thought is it also condemns shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard. while i have no beard and i dont shave around the sides of my head.. if we say one is wrong then we must go by all is wrong . i have girl cousin loaded it tatts on both arms/ my only tattoo is a dot on the back of my arm. i call it my stupid dot. i was stupid' for getting it

Hello forgiven;

Dot
is very unusual to have a little dot on the back of your arm. What made you think of dot? lol!

Ok, seriously. What was the significance of the dot?

Many years ago I knew someone who had a dot put on the top of her left or right hand but I never asked why.

Many sabbath rules are different on various kinds of land. So the Talmud has several classes of land (private, public, unclaimed, wild)

Now if one is standing on private ground, may he bend over and pick up an apple that lies just beyond the line (or would that be doing work on public ground? May one standing on private ground extend his hand over public ground and hold the apple?

There are rules about selling something when the sabbath approaches afternoon close to sundown). There must be time left for the buyer to go to private ground before the sabbath begins, and the rules change if the lane outside is closed at one end (blind alley).

There are several things about a tailor and his needle. If he thrusts the needle into a cloth just before the sabbath and the sabbath the starts, he may not pull then pull it out. He may also not walk around on public land with a needle thrust in his garment because others may think he is working or plans to work on the sabbath.

There are rules about when one may give clothes to someone to wash. White clothes must be given early in the week so that they can be finished being cleansed before the sabbath. Colored clothes can be left later (but there must still be time to finish cleaning them before the sabbath).

As far as I have found, the Bible does not make these distinctions about the kinds of land and how sabbath laws are different depending on whether one is in public or private.

And that is why Paul wrote in Colossians 2:16-17........
“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”

Also, Ro. 14:5 states, .......
“One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.”

These Scriptures make it clear that, for the Christian, Sabbath-keeping is a matter of spiritual freedom, not a command from God.
I dont know about all of you, but I for one am extremly glad we do not have to keep the Sabbath. The simple reason is....It can not be done!

Think about it. If we follow the Sabbath ceremonial Laws......we can not write a letter on the Sabbath.
IF....you wrote a letter the day before and realized you made a mistake, you can not erase that mistake.
IF....your child is hurt, you can not take that child to the Emergency room for treatment.
IF....your house catches on fire....you can not put out that fire.

Hello forgiven;

Dot
is very unusual to have a little dot on the back of your arm. What made you think of dot? lol!

Many years ago I knew someone who had a dot put on the top of her left or right hand but I never asked why.
I have NO idea, but funny thing is, we have a nephew who just got out of prison and he has a One DOT tattoo on his hand. My wife asked him what it meant and he said....... it means that you are part of a group, and you are connected to all the other people who have this tattoo.

A 'friend' once convinced me to get my ears pierced so I could wear fancy earrings and so got it done with a piercing gun, like they punched holes in them. It hurt! But then they started bleeding and getting infected so I just let them close up and never wore any earrings again.

I don't even wear any rings or jewellery, I find them annoying and gets in the way.

Never saw any need to get inked - my skin is thin and I've had enough needles with all the blood tests I used to have to take so no thanks. If I want to remember something I write it down or put it into a book.
Lanolin you be from New Zealand. It be a culture heavily steeped in tattoo tradition. What be your outlook on that when evaluating the bible ?

Hello BibleLover;

In Leviticus 19:19-35 and 19:28 God is referring to the list of statutes by commanding us "You shall not" (ESV) or "Do not" (NIV)

God did not approve what the pagan (or Heathen) practiced, therefore, God is clear in His declaration of Himself, "I am the Lord your God."

Jesus takes it further by encouraging us when we love God with all our heart we will follow all of God's instructions and commands.

I hope this helps,
BibleLover. What are your thoughts?

God bless you, brother, and your family.
Thanks Bob for the clarification. In view of scripture, I believe tattoos are generally forbidden for voluntary application because tattoos reflected heathenism. Today our culture is generally one of heathen hedonism, so culturally speaking, tattoos are appropriate for the heathens, but not for Christians. Tattoos that are involuntarily applied, such as concentration camp numbers or markings placed on victims of human trafficking by their enslavers are not counted against the wearer.

Thanks Bob for the clarification. In view of scripture, I believe tattoos are generally forbidden for voluntary application because tattoos reflected heathenism. Today our culture is generally one of heathen hedonism, so culturally speaking, tattoos are appropriate for the heathens, but not for Christians. Tattoos that are involuntarily applied, such as concentration camp numbers or markings placed on victims of human trafficking by their enslavers are not counted against the wearer.
it was also a voluntary marking of loyalty and ownership too the SS had tattoos inked under their armpits

Hello forgiven;

Dot

the Dot i was raised in small town Grandin mo many great citizens . but as in many other generations there are those who chose not to do the right thing. the Dot was invited as the Grandin dot. aka party be cool . some got it in the middle between thumb and finger.

i will try send you a video on you tube highlighting the town i grew up in you will see the methodist church i was raised in my parents old store building.. but that is story behind the my stupid dot

I have NO idea, but funny thing is, we have a nephew who just got out of prison and he has a One DOT tattoo on his hand. My wife asked him what it meant and he said....... it means that you are part of a group, and you are connected to all the other people who have this tattoo.
and that is semi kaka the grandin dot only i never been in prison

But just like everything else.........if we want to do it we will find a way to justify it or simply ignore the Word of God.

How do I reconcile? We are not under the law, but under grace. We are forgiven through Jesus Christ our savior. Sins are of the flesh, and not of the spirit within us. We are a vessel which is polluted through our eyes, ears, nose, stomachs, and thoughts. Most of which we have control over. I think the Amish communities are closest to adhering to the word of our Lord. Yes, my tattoos are a sin. So are the processed foods Ive consumed, music I listened to, movies/shows Ive watched, artificial scents Ive sprayed and unintentionally breathed in, things Ive thought about, concerts Ive attended, clothes Ive worn, books Ive read, jewelry Ive worn, and it is an endless list. He who casts the first stone comes to mind. If we ourselves are sinning who are we to judge another for tattoos? Everyone saved intentionally ignores the word of God or we would be like Christ- Perfect. How do I reconcile? I know Im a sinner and cannot save myself. I thank our Father in heaven daily for salvation, for I am unworthy along with everyone else.

How do I reconcile? We are not under the law, but under grace. We are forgiven through Jesus Christ our savior. Sins are of the flesh, and not of the spirit within us. We are a vessel which is polluted through our eyes, ears, nose, stomachs, and thoughts. Most of which we have control over. I think the Amish communities are closest to adhering to the word of our Lord. Yes, my tattoos are a sin. So are the processed foods Ive consumed, music I listened to, movies/shows Ive watched, artificial scents Ive sprayed and unintentionally breathed in, things Ive thought about, concerts Ive attended, clothes Ive worn, books Ive read, jewelry Ive worn, and it is an endless list. He who casts the first stone comes to mind. If we ourselves are sinning who are we to judge another for tattoos? Everyone saved intentionally ignores the word of God or we would be like Christ- Perfect. How do I reconcile? I know Im a sinner and cannot save myself. I thank our Father in heaven daily for salvation, for I am unworthy along with everyone else.

Hello thenami;

How do I reconcile
in my post is to forgive oneself. If you had a tattoo, polluted your thoughts, whatever you put in your mouth, and if you feel it did not bring Him glory, then between you and God, forgive yourself to remove the sin or offense. This is what I meant.

Via wrote a thread and said, "It seems easier to forgive others than it does myself."

How do I reconcile is also when one is offended or hurt by another but has chosen to forgive them. Reconciliation is also by God's example of His forgiveness to all of us.

2 Corinthians 5:17-18, 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18 All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation;

Therefore we all should drop the stone in our hands for the past, but remember the conversation of forgiveness and reconciliation the woman and Jesus had in John 8:3-11. Judging another for their sin is not profitable but this topic has been a good learning point.

God bless you, Margo, and your family.

Many sabbath rules are different on various kinds of land. So the Talmud has several classes of land (private, public, unclaimed, wild)

Now if one is standing on private ground, may he bend over and pick up an apple that lies just beyond the line (or would that be doing work on public ground? May one standing on private ground extend his hand over public ground and hold the apple?

There are rules about selling something when the sabbath approaches afternoon close to sundown). There must be time left for the buyer to go to private ground before the sabbath begins, and the rules change if the lane outside is closed at one end (blind alley).

There are several things about a tailor and his needle. If he thrusts the needle into a cloth just before the sabbath and the sabbath the starts, he may not pull then pull it out. He may also not walk around on public land with a needle thrust in his garment because others may think he is working or plans to work on the sabbath.

There are rules about when one may give clothes to someone to wash. White clothes must be given early in the week so that they can be finished being cleansed before the sabbath. Colored clothes can be left later (but there must still be time to finish cleaning them before the sabbath).

And that is why Paul wrote in Colossians 2:16-17........
“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”

Also, Ro. 14:5 states, .......
“One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.”

These Scriptures make it clear that, for the Christian, Sabbath-keeping is a matter of spiritual freedom, not a command from God.
I dont know about all of you, but I for one am extremly glad we do not have to keep the Sabbath. The simple reason is....It can not be done!

Reconciliation happens by the obedience of faith.

From what you just posted, I am sure that you are glad that we are under grace and that God forgives us even though we do those things we know we should not do.

Going back to tattoos I just have never liked them. I believe whatever someone believes is sin then it is sin. Whoever sincerely believes it is not a sin then it is not sin to them.

I don't carry stones, they are too heavy.
Tattoos in our Christian Era were always looked upon in a negative light. From a woman’s perspective we were taught that it’s messaging upon the minds of men was that your a broken horse or a slut accessible to all. That may seem brutal. But that’s how tattoos were looked upon until recent times

Tattoos in our Christian Era were always looked upon in a negative light. From a woman’s perspective we were taught that it’s messaging upon the minds of men was that your a broken horse or a slut accessible to all. That may seem brutal. But that’s how tattoos were looked upon until recent times
Hi Prim90
There was a lady who had tattoo. When she was elderly and in hospital she felt very embarrassed and regretted ever having it done.
Blessings

Back