Are Tatoos in the Right Context of Scripture Acceptable?

Well I do like all this crazy skin grafting actually. But only the pretty ones.
Some black inked tribal ones look good on some too, but I could never get the whole gist of people having words and numbers. Besides, I like redecorating now and then in my home and shifting furniture around. If I get a tattoo I know I won’t ever be satisfied with it for very long.

Maybe a small one could be enlargened, but what about a whopper. Best go to tattoo fixers and see what they can do I suppose. More wasted money.

Anyway like Cosia said. If you think it sin don’t do it. I like that.

Hm. I have tatts, which I got so many years ago, I can't remember. One is a feather and the other an eagle against the sun and holding a US flag (I was in the military and overseas what I got them). Granted, I was not saved at the time, but I never associated them with anything more than body art.

Since I was an officer in the military, I did get them in the upper arm where they could not be seen when wearing a short-sleeved shirt. I do recall one time at Fort Bragg where we had come back from a run. My shirt was very wet, so I took it off and put on sleeveless shirt. Several people came up to me and suggested I cover them up, because the colonel was not into them. I did not do it, as they were not against any military policy.

Now, when you enlist in the military, all your tatts are checked to make sure they are not gang related. I used to work with a guy from the South Carolina Burau of Corrections. His job was to collect images of prisoner tatts to index them by meaning and affiliation.

XRay

Well I do like all this crazy skin grafting actually. But only the pretty ones.
Some black inked tribal ones look good on some too, but I could never get the whole gist of people having words and numbers. Besides, I like redecorating now and then in my home and shifting furniture around. If I get a tattoo I know I won’t ever be satisfied with it for very long.

Maybe a small one could be enlargened, but what about a whopper. Best go to tattoo fixers and see what they can do I suppose. More wasted money.

Anyway like Cosia said. If you think it sin don’t do it. I like that.
Some people have Bible verses inked on them. I once thought about having "Romans 10:13" inked on my wrist, but I'm getting too old for that sort of stuff.

XRay

A 'friend' once convinced me to get my ears pierced so I could wear fancy earrings and so got it done with a piercing gun, like they punched holes in them. It hurt! But then they started bleeding and getting infected so I just let them close up and never wore any earrings again.

I don't even wear any rings or jewellery, I find them annoying and gets in the way.

Never saw any need to get inked - my skin is thin and I've had enough needles with all the blood tests I used to have to take so no thanks. If I want to remember something I write it down or put it into a book.
You are, without question, the most unique person I have ever come scross.

XRay

Hm. I have tatts, which I got so many years ago, I can't remember. One is a feather and the other an eagle against the sun and holding a US flag (I was in the military and overseas what I got them). Granted, I was not saved at the time, but I never associated them with anything more than body art.

Since I was an officer in the military, I did get them in the upper arm where they could not be seen when wearing a short-sleeved shirt. I do recall one time at Fort Bragg where we had come back from a run. My shirt was very wet, so I took it off and put on sleeveless shirt. Several people came up to me and suggested I cover them up, because the colonel was not into them. I did not do it, as they were not against any military policy.

Now, when you enlist in the military, all your tatts are checked to make sure they are not gang related. I used to work with a guy from the South Carolina Burau of Corrections. His job was to collect images of prisoner tatts to index them by meaning and affiliation.

XRay
Allow me to share a very true with you. While in North Carolina, I took a wrong turn and wound up in a runoff and got stuck. There was gravel and the more I tried the more rocks were thrown up. We tried and tried and could not get out. After an hour or so a man stopped and said...."Look like you need a pull".

I said ....Yes sir I do. He pulled out a strap, wrapped it around the hitch and in about 2 minutes we were out.

I insisted on paying him and he refused. I told him that I was A Christian and I wanted to pay him for his help. He laughed, rolled up his sleave and there imprinted on his forearm was the name.........."JESUS" in big black bold letters of tattoo!

Maybe I missed it somewhere but can someone explain the context of what He means when He says cuts on their body for the dead? Was that a normal cultural practice to cut yourself for a dead person? I don’t understand.

Hello Skipper;

In Leviticus 19:28, 28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

God was referring to the practice of making deep gashes in the skin while mourning the death of a relative. This provided the life blood for the spirit of the dead person rather than to express sorrow.

Another example in 1 Kings 18:28, 28 And they cried aloud and cut themselves after their custom with swords and lances, until the blood gushed out upon them.

Elijah was taunting the Baal prophets. They were calling on their god to answer by fire on the sacrifice of a bull, but this god was not responding to their chants.

God bless you, brother.

Hello Skipper;

In Leviticus 19:28, 28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

God was referring to the practice of making deep gashes in the skin while mourning the death of a relative. This provided the life blood for the spirit of the dead person rather than to express sorrow.

Another example in 1 Kings 18:28, 28 And they cried aloud and cut themselves after their custom with swords and lances, until the blood gushed out upon them.

Elijah was taunting the Baal prophets. They were calling on their god to answer by fire on the sacrifice of a bull, but this god was not responding to their chants.

God bless you, brother.
Thank you, Bob! I didn’t know this was a cultural practice. I sort of assumed but wasn’t certain.

There's another kind of tattoo called a military tattoo. It's more like a marching band though, not a skin thing.

I live in NZ and many Maori and Samoan people have traditional tattoos. It's not marking for the dead as much as it is a rite of passage and denoting prestige, and identity. Kind of like a fingerprint.

The swirling patterns have meaning. Marking for the dead would be like if someone died and I wanted to remember them by getting their name tattooed on me.

It's not really a done thing in Chinese culture, but Japanese often do it. The designs can be quite intricate and beautiful.

The other thing with tattoos is often it's a sign of being part of a gang. So you have to guard against that. I guess it's kind of like wearing a wedding ring in a way, as its meant to be permanent. But thing is people can make mistakes with tattoos and regret getting them. Especially spelling mistakes...

Indian women often get henna tattoos on their hands but they aren't permanent and will wash off eventually. Often when they get married they will get them done.

As for me I choose to express myself in the clothing I wear as I can easily change these lol. And wear different patterns. You can wear stockings with patterns and lace design and its like having your skin decorated. In the olden days women would actually draw a line on the back of their legs to pretend they were wearing stockings because back then they had a seam at the back.

True story.

Back