Are there any gardeners here?

You probably don't want to know what I did with them as a youngster. :whistle:😈

Slugs don't like the smell of coffee grounds. I also grind up eggshells to put on the surface which also discourages the slugs. I'm sure there are other natural methods as well.

Putting a border of marigolds around your garden can also discourage some unwanted pests. I'm told also that slugs don't like other very fragrant flowers and plants like rosemary and sage.

cp

I made great progress in leveling the garden area these last two weeks. The snow though has kept me out of the yard though these last three days. The snow is fast melting though we received around nine inches of snow. I suspect it will be possible to get out tomorrow or the next day.

cp

It was a beautiful spring day and it was back to work. The high was 50 deg and most of the snow is gone by morning it will all probably be gone.

On a side note I had to replace our mailbox vandals pry our security box open at 1:28 in the morning to find it empty. My next door neighbor was not so fortunate. Today I got my stronger Mailbox and started once again receiving mail.

cp

Banana slugs! Scary! We get the smaller ones here. Also very rainy here, about 110 inches per year. A few of my garden containers have turned into a mushroom farm lol HALP!

I just wanted to say, this is a beautiful family and so peaceful here, unlike pretty much everywhere else online. I'm glad God led me here <3

Banana slugs! Scary! We get the smaller ones here. Also very rainy here, about 110 inches per year. A few of my garden containers have turned into a mushroom farm lol HALP!

I just wanted to say, this is a beautiful family and so peaceful here, unlike pretty much everywhere else online. I'm glad God led me here <3

Hello, Autumn;

We're blessed you joined your new friends in Christ. Please keep writing!

Thank you, sister!

When we visit national parks or Christian camps we will see "banana slugs". Do you find these in your gardens and how do you get rid of them?

View attachment 5344

No, I have much smaller brown garden slugs

brown-garden-slug-western-washington-31227884.jpg

Has anyone else used the "Picture this" the free application? I used it many times this past year identifying some of the plants that volunteered in my yard and garden. I discovered that I had some nightshade that had to go. I also identified some interesting flowers that birds must have carried the seeds for from neighboring yards.

cp

After the pine needles have fallen, & turned brown... they make an amazing mulch for veggies. (and no, they do not make the soil too acidic... after they have turned brown)
They get all caught up in the lettuce, the needles, and bury the carrots and beets. Any veggies and tomatoes seem to grow slowly or not at all out in the open, but if we put a clear tarp over top, they do much better. I think we also get too much rain and a short growing season. But now using an unheated greenhouse has kept the forest out and the watering more controlled, and extends the growing season a few weeks in either direction. I never imagined pine needles to be healthy for the plants! We'll try making use of them :) We get a lot of wind storms, and needles (or small pine branches often pile up on the soil while still green. But plenty of the brown ones as well.

They get all caught up in the lettuce, the needles, and bury the carrots and beets. Any veggies and tomatoes seem to grow slowly or not at all out in the open, but if we put a clear tarp over top, they do much better. I think we also get too much rain and a short growing season. But now using an unheated greenhouse has kept the forest out and the watering more controlled, and extends the growing season a few weeks in either direction. I never imagined pine needles to be healthy for the plants! We'll try making use of them :) We get a lot of wind storms, and needles (or small pine branches often pile up on the soil while still green. But plenty of the brown ones as well.

Sounds like you have found a way to control your environment better. I like the pine needles as well as a garden mulch they become part of the garden soil as they decay.

cp

Back