Are there any gardeners here?

Hey, Chuck, is the grass elevated by looking at the side of the dirt? Its coming along very nice, brother.

It's hard to see in the photo, but I'm cutting into a small hill in order to level this space. I've leveled the entire area where the remaining boxes will be built. I have and additional 8 garden boxes I plan to build and will continue to level this section of the yard before bringing in wood chips.

cp

No one is helping me on this project. There is no real deadline to get the work done and I probably have sufficient boxes done for this growing season. The boxes you see are all of the garden boxes I have built so far. I still have a number of them I will build before I'm done along with some other planned work.

It probably takes me more time to level and position the boxes than it does to actually build each box. The largest amount of work is filling the boxes which are 4 foot by 8 foot long and just under 2 foot high.

Leveling the yard is also taking a considerable amount of time especially since I've had two remove in places up to a four foot hill. I still have areas that have about 2 feet of material to remove.

I have laid 110 cubic yards of wood chips and suspect that is less than half of what I will need before I'm done.

? do you put wood in the bottom. Although hugelkultur is usually mound shaped. You don't need to make a box.
I suppose it's easier this way?

Last edited:
? do you put wood in the bottom. Although hugelkultur is usually mound shaped. You don't need to make a box.
I suppose it's easier this way?

Yes, I put wood in the bottom of each box. This is a modified form of hugelkultur that a number have used. Last year was my first year in trying this and I'm liking the results. I'll have a better idea in the fall as our spring growing season is just starting.

Yes, I put wood in the bottom of each box. This is a modified form of hugelkultur that a number have used. Last year was my first year in trying this and I'm liking the results. I'll have a better idea in the fall as our spring growing season is just starting.
you will have lots of worms in your garden boxes from God and He will give your plants loving kindnessšŸ˜

I've just been putting spring bulbs in mine.
Don't really need to dig at all, just pop them in the gaps in the mulch and cover them. I'm not a fan of digging, but then, can't really dig on clay. I just build up organic matter and add a bit of gypsum and manure.

If I dug I'd probably break my back. Certain times of the year you can fork it, but I just see some gardeners obsessed with digging and I'm like if I wanted to dig I would be an archaelogist or work in the mines.

Lanolin it must be the beginning of fall for you. Do you have anything that you like to plant in the fall?
Spring bulbs at the moment.
Winter veges like cabbages, peas, etc.
We have wet winters so got to be mindful of that. (we dont have snow)
Good time to plant fruit trees although I currently have no space...

A neighbour is doing a riparian planting near our creek full of natives which will be sometime soon. So will definitely help out with that. He's ordered and nursed hundreds of seedlings and saplings.

Flowers - I planted daffodils, and I also have hyacinth, and freesias.
Spring onions are bulbs, but they are edible and not really grown for the flowers. But apparently some people do but that's a different variety called Alliums. But I am not sure if you can actually eat those!

Cabbage grows better in the cool season. If you plant it other times it will bolt (go to flower and seed) early and you won't get enough leaves.
I've sown and planted parsely, radish, and some asian veges - pak choi and wong bok (chinese cabbages to you)

We've been enjoying the vegetables and fruits of our labors. The project is about half done. Most of the garden boxes are built. Currently we are waiting on wood chips and preparing the yard.

Back