Are there any gardeners here?

Dad was born in Missouri and we lived in Arkansas for several years when I was young. I would love to visit Kentucky when things settle down again. Texas is another state that my wife and I have wanted to visit.

Having grown up with clean and unclean meats I understand Lev 11. This is a subject I have fully settled in my mind now long ago because there are many scriptures related to this in God's word.

My wife and I make almost everything we eat from scratch. Very little that we buy is processed foods. It's another reason we love the garden. It's nice to go out and grab our own spices from the garden. Pick our own salad and cooked vegetables. We also have a number of fruit trees.

Raising meet here though is out of the question. This a suburban home and we only have half an acre which is already a large lot in our neighborhood.

cp
growing up in Mo is a good thing. especially in the country

growing up in Mo is a good thing. especially in the country
I flew to Missouri in May 2007 on a business trip. From St. Louis I drove to the town (forgot the name of the town) but it was a beautiful drive. After my business I drove back on highway 70 and the open country was very green and on my way to the airport.

I'm became a Cardinals fan when they beat the Red Sox in 1967.

I'm became a Cardinals fan when they beat the Red Sox in 1967.
-- i am a 1961 model there is some very pretty country south of st louis i am part of the Ozarks 30 miles west of poplar bluff mo . home of the current river a stone throw as bird flies south end called doniphan mo . we have back woods they pump sunshine into .my home town grandin mo is about 300 some odd population in early 1900 was a booming limber mining co town enjoy this short video

-- i am a 1961 model there is some very pretty country south of st louis i am part of the Ozarks 30 miles west of poplar bluff mo . home of the current river a stone throw as bird flies south end called doniphan mo . we have back woods they pump sunshine into .my home town grandin mo is about 300 some odd population in early 1900 was a booming limber mining co town enjoy this short video

Hey forgiven;

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed this video and like the part where the fire department and city hall were in the same building. lol!

Hey forgiven;

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed this video and like the part where the fire department and city hall were in the same building. lol!
city hall has since moved the school house you saw built from rock by the wpa is used to house city hall . you saw my parents old store mercantile . only it was mcd market . the Methodist church is where i went as a child. when the mo lumber mining company started the built a baptist church methodist church and the rock no denom named the congregational church

i think they also built the catholic church. all the original church buildings no longer stand there has been lots great people from that small town war hero's pows preachers bankers . in january of 1973 the town was shook with tragedy. the bank president ( my cousin) his wife oldest daughter was took from there home at gun point . took about 5 miles out of town shot execution style .

thanks for letting me highjack the post with memories where i grew up. btw i was abused growing up. mom use to get me up help tend to her garden . pick beans dust beans hoe the garden and till it hand plow and tiller lol

garden-31321-sml-jpg.5541

garden-31321-2-sml-jpg.5542

Hey CPerkins;

These photos of your backyard was back in March. Have you made progress or is it completed?

Great job! I can't wait to see the results.

God bless you and Teddie, brother.

I don’t think we are meant to eat rabbit. I think it’s in a bible verse but can’t be certain.
But when I was little( we wasn’t devout Christians but we were moral) My mom used to make rabbit stew and it was disgusting.
I think that’s why God said don’t eat it. He knew they tasted vile 😂

but isn’t there rabbit deterrents ( herbs you can plant to deter them?
fried rabbit and biscuits and gravy good vittles

Hello Via;

Vittles is a good ol' USA slang word for "prepared food to eat." 🐇🥢😎

Another word is grub, munchies, or snack. 🍔🍟

The British slang for vittles is nosh, munch or feast. 🍗🥣
In NZ it's called 'a feed' or 'kai'

In Australia it's called 'tucker'
I think I'll tuck some vittles with my kai while I munch on some nosh :)

Hey everyone;

My wife and I bought artichoke hearts, two jars in one pack. I remember when we used to eat a whole artichoke plant, we would peel the leaf, dip the meat of the leaf in a sauce and enjoy peeling all the way to the heart of the artichoke.

But you had to be careful when holding the other end of the leaf because there was a little thorn.

The jar is full of artichoke hearts and we mix them with our salads, vegetables, or whatever goes good.

Anyone else enjoy artichoke plant or the hearts and do you have other ways of eating them?

Another thread I'm bringing back to life. HAHAHA.

This year... I am adopting a strip of land beside the house. Its where my side window faces and it is a MESS... with limited sun due to the over hanging tree branches that block it.

Anyways... I bought some potting soil... a few different types of seeds and some starter pots... I have two different type of tomato plants... two types of pepper plants... plus chives and parsley... ( however... I'm pretty sure I will want to buy some starter plants as far as the herbs go ).
I am planning on planting the tomatoes and pepper plants this week as an experiment. I will have to use CONTAINERS for them as the sun does shine more towards the end of the fence.

I am very excited to take on this project but like I said... the strip of land is a mess... including a dead tree stump. The elevation is slopey.. so impossible to build a proper garden box.

It's all going to be one GIANT experiment. I also want a lot of flowers ( which I will also grow in pots ) and scatter. The flowers I will buy as starter plants at the nursery.

I am in the process of looking for different CHEAP container ideas. I know my tomatoes will need a deeper bucket.

So then... I can smell SPRING in the air... even though it is currently minus 10 celsius. HAHAHA

Another thread I'm bringing back to life. HAHAHA.

This year... I am adopting a strip of land beside the house. Its where my side window faces and it is a MESS... with limited sun due to the over hanging tree branches that block it.

Anyways... I bought some potting soil... a few different types of seeds and some starter pots... I have two different type of tomato plants... two types of pepper plants... plus chives and parsley... ( however... I'm pretty sure I will want to buy some starter plants as far as the herbs go ).
I am planning on planting the tomatoes and pepper plants this week as an experiment. I will have to use CONTAINERS for them as the sun does shine more towards the end of the fence.

I am very excited to take on this project but like I said... the strip of land is a mess... including a dead tree stump. The elevation is slopey.. so impossible to build a proper garden box.

It's all going to be one GIANT experiment. I also want a lot of flowers ( which I will also grow in pots ) and scatter. The flowers I will buy as starter plants at the nursery.

I am in the process of looking for different CHEAP container ideas. I know my tomatoes will need a deeper bucket.

So then... I can smell SPRING in the air... even though it is currently minus 10 celsius. HAHAHA
I think I can see the tree stump, but do you think it will be wise to plant?

IMG_0103.jpeg

Back