Are there any gardeners here?

Just saw this posting so much to explore in this forum.
We garden fairly regular. We are semi lucky as there is a water table as shallow as 3feet in some areas.
We can grow trees from saplings with little efforts. We grow the typical garden variety and some medication plants as well.
But for about 20 years God plans his own trees here as well.
We have an elm tree in the front of the house. And when it drops it seeds we end up with rooted saplings all over the yard.
We take them, place them in pots and then either plant them at home or at the ranch we are trying to plan allot of trees.
As there is allot near the pond and drive. But the rest is hay. I think about 27 years we are stopping hay and probably going into cattle.
As its part of what my son does for a living. We have just two Cattle at the moment. But want more and need more trees.
Digress, these trees grow fast and last two years I have been collecting the seeds when they drop. I must have 2 million seeds in paper bags and small boxes. I have to be fast as they cant get wet. So I use my electric blow and blow them in piles and then use a dust pan to pick them up.
Neighbors must thing I am crazy out in the drive way sweeping with a dust pan and a and a hand sweeper. LOL
Out sunflowers are just about 7feet now. And Zucchini had been suppling near 2foot long fruit.
Tomato's are struggling this year. They are growing but end with black o the bottom, what do you all think it might be?

Hi RootedWithGod

I think it is lack of calcium. But I don't know how you remedy the problem.
 Blessings

They probably just didn't get enough water.
They need enough water to transport the minerals and nutrients to the fruit.
That's what I would examine first, hope it is that simple ;)

They probably just didn't get enough water.
They need enough water to transport the minerals and nutrients to the fruit.
That's what I would examine first, hope it is that simple ;)
We water about every day or two depending on the temps.
The weather here has been a roller coaster summer. Cold days, Hot Days.
Fires, thunder heavy rain. And that was just the last three weeks LOL
Maybe they are not getting enough water compared to the others. Thank you for the reply.
We will pay closer attention to that.

Hi RootedWithGod

 Blessings
Thank you as this is helping us get closer as my Mother in Law who has planted 50 years thought it may be that as well.
But a solution we have not found under that cause. :(
But I thank for thinking of us and sharing the idea.

I am not sure the soil knows math very well.
( sorry Grandaughter starting school Papas humor )

The soil seems to do well with everything else.
We did add about 5 inches of top soil this year.
I wonder if there is a soil calcium test. I will have to check. Good idea.
chicken poo is good nitrogen fertilizer cow poo has some but more phosphorus good rich black soil good for it also there is also miracle grow soil you can by has added nutrients

your just about describing Missouri weather it changes like a clock
The saying here is always: Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall. Don't Like the Weather here? Stick Around, It will change.
As we speak its a nice 85 today, next week it will slowly move up to 100 and three days later 78 LOL
The last two weeks have actually been really nice. We had 107 a month ago and straight week over 100.
So I hope that is over. But we do get what they call Indian summers here at times.
Its weird too. Last week in September, it will be 85 like now. Shoot up to 100+ for 3 or 4 days and Boom then next week.
Fall starts and it will rain and be around 70ish and wont be warm again until November when we get a small push after Halloween to around 85 and then we can see snow two weeks later LOL

The saying here is always: Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall. Don't Like the Weather here? Stick Around, It will change.
As we speak its a nice 85 today, next week it will slowly move up to 100 and three days later 78 LOL
The last two weeks have actually been really nice. We had 107 a month ago and straight week over 100.
So I hope that is over. But we do get what they call Indian summers here at times.
Its weird too. Last week in September, it will be 85 like now. Shoot up to 100+ for 3 or 4 days and Boom then next week.
Fall starts and it will rain and be around 70ish and wont be warm again until November when we get a small push after Halloween to around 85 and then we can see snow two weeks later LOL
normally august is Hot/dry this year we have had more than enough rain to sustain things .last 2 years was drought like conditions 77 at the moment shows low around 58 tonight next week mid 90s

back to the garden i like as much as possible go organic in soil when fall hits leaves fall . put them on the garden spot .through some lime and fertilizer on it wet it down good it will compost .. keep it wet then come spring plow it under chicken poo is just about the highest nitrogen content .. besides bat poo years ago when i lived at home.. we had a Mennonite had a honey wagon so to speak .. he would put chicken poo with water . spray it on your garden spot.. did wonders for the soil .. the nose not so much it stunk lol. lime will neutralize your soil . my gpa use take kitchen scrap out to his garden spot and bury it...

Back