As We Aproach Easter

Can I go to the second words of Jesus on the list ?

Number 2........
" I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

To us these words don’t make sense because you and I would find it hard to forgive a criminal or some one who has murdered. But Jesus is our example and he is teaching us a valuable lesson here . Jesus sees value in this man , forgives him and gives him entry into heaven no matter what he has done.

This sinner on the cross with Jesus recognized , Jesus for who he was and that He had done no wrong and asked in his simple words “ Jesus remember me when you come into your Kingdom “ . Jesus sees the sincerity and the heart of this criminal , forgives him and tells him he will be with Him in Heaven.

For every believer is the promise of Paradise .

Hebrews 3:14…… We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

What a glorious reward . To be with Jesus forever . Isn’t that beautiful ?

Rev 2:7 …… He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.

What do we need to share with others ? The hope of Heaven , to live eternal . What greater goal than that can we share with our friends and Family ?

Moving on to the third last Phrases of Jesus ….
That you will find listed in post # 15

3….... “ Dear woman here is your son “

Why do you think Jesus said that to Mary ?

When we think of all that Jesus was enduring on the cross - He never forgot his earthly , godly mother . Jesus makes provision for her as she stood at the foot of the cross alone and witnessing the most horrendous happening in her son’s life . I can’t even begin to imagine the pain she must have felt .

We see Jesus human side and His human love for His earthly mother but more so His spiritual love . That love is not of the flesh but of the Spirit.

Did you ever wonder why Jesus asked John to look after His mother and not his earthly brothers and sisters ? I can only think that Jesus wants to make a point of telling us that we all as believers belong in the family of God . And because his earthly brothers and sisters did not believe he gave the task to John to look after his mother .

Jesus showed us this act of brother and sisterhood is how the family of God of believers should react to some one who is hurting . He called upon John to minister to some one in need in the family of God , just as all of us as believers should do the same .

Did you ever wonder why Jesus asked John to look after His mother and not his earthly brothers and sisters ? I can only think that Jesus wants to make a point of telling us that we all as believers belong in the family of God . And because his earthly brothers and sisters did not believe he gave the task to John to look after his mother .

Jesus showed us this act of brother and sisterhood is how the family of God of believers should react to some one who is hurting . He called upon John to minister to some one in need in the family of God , just as all of us as believers should do the same .

Thats it in a nutshell, I can add nothing other than to say AMEN :)

A person can be closer to their brothers and sisters in Christ than their own blood relatives. This closeness is because of what we have in common, our love for Jesus. Jesus was closer to John than all the others disciples

A person can be closer to their brothers and sisters in Christ than their own blood relatives. This closeness is because of what we have in common, our love for Jesus. Jesus was closer to John than all the others disciples

Amen GodSpeaks

1…… …. Luke 23:34 …….. Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing." And they divided up his clothes by casting lots.

2……….. Luke 23: 43 ……. 43Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise

3…….. John 19:26…….. When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son,"

4……….. Matthew 27: 46 …… About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
5…………. John 19:28…….Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."

6………. John 19:30 ……. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

7….. Luke 23:46……. Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

Just bringing the words forward as we study .

We are now on .... #4..... " My God my God , why have you forsaken me ? "

These words to me are the most poignant and heart wrenching of all the words that He said on the Cross .. Jesus was utterly alone . Just think about it for a moment - God had forsaken Jesus , the spotless , sinless, Lamb who had to be forsaken for us because Holy God had to punish sin and Jesus became that sin .

Jesus spoke these words that were uttered by the psalmist in Psalm 22 …… My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
Why are you so far from saving me,
so far from the words of my groaning?

God could not look upon the scene because of our sin , our wickedness , our transgressions , our iniquities and our abominations that turned God’s face from the heart – breaking event. .

God did it so that we might not be estranged from God – never to be forsaken .

How hard was it for God the Father to turn His back on God the Son ? And how hard was it for Jesus the Son of God , knowing He had to fulfill God’s will but being distanced from Father God and left alone ?

How many times can I literally say - God where are you in my situation , trials, problems, and difficulties? ----- Only to know that He is there but in His timing not mine . He is waiting in the wings to deliver me , teaching me patience , strength and most of all trust ---- trust in Him .

God is teaching each of us through all of life’s trials , that he is all sufficient and in control . He will keep us even in the deepest depths of the valley . He is our constant guide and friend, . He will never leave us nor forsake us .

In the midst of our trials our Shepherd whispers to us the sufficiency of His grace . He’s got it all covered . He’s got us in the palm of His Hand . How comforting to know . Praise His Name .

#5 ……. Last words of Jesus

“ I am Thirsty”

Even though Jesus is the Son of God , we are also reminded , he is the Son of Man . In His humanism , He felt the same emotions that we feel . He wanted to show us that He went through everything so that we might relate and understand Him as He understands us .

Jesus knew at that time , He had fulfilled the will of God . All that remained was the final victory over death . He was merely expressing His exhaustion and thirst . He knew in every sense of the word that He was about to be satisfied.

Number 6 of Jesus last words on the cross

“ It is Finished “

Matthew says Jesus last words were cried with a loud voice .- It’s a victory shout !!!!!

Jesus commitment to the Father ‘s will was evident throughout His ministry and He carried that commitment to the end .

Phil 2:8……. And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

John 4: 34…… "My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work.

John 17:4…… I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.

When we think about it - Jesus fulfilled all the prophesy . He completed all that Father God sent Him to do .

Jesus completed salvation for you and I once and for all

He paid the ultimate price, laying down His life. Then up from the grave he rose! Praise the Lord.

I prefer to refer to it as Resurrection day than Easter, to get our mind on what He did for us, instead of eggs and bunnies.

He had victory over death on that resurrection morning!

The last and final words of Jesus on the Cross ... # 7

Father into thy hands I commend my spirit”

We need to understand that Jesus death was different than any one else’s death . His death was a victorious death . It was a voluntary death . An obedient death planned by the Father God from the beginning of time.

Jesus once again by saying , Father into thy hands entrusted himself completely to the Father once more.

Jesus died according to the Divine purpose of God

With a loud cry , Jesus breathed his last.

Through it all as we look at the cross our answer of the love of God for us is beyond any natural love - He so loved us that He sent His only Begotten Son that we might have eternal life . What greater love is that .

John 15:13

13Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

The nail - pierced hands of Jesus reveal the love- filled heart of God

Love sent the Saviour to die in my stead .
Why should He love me so ?
Meekly to Calvary's cross He was led
Why should He love me so ?
----- Harkness

He is our Passover, the true paschal lamb.

Isaiah 53:7

7 He was oppressed and afflicted,
yet he did not open his mouth;
he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,
and as a sheep before her shearers is silent,
so he did not open his mouth.

Yes, our Redeemer was received up in glory as His Divine nature did not desert the human nature, but rather supported it, putting ultimate value into Christ's sufferings.

may we have an abundant walk in the fullness of Christ

Yes, our Redeemer was received up in glory as His Divine nature did not desert the human nature, but rather supported it, putting ultimate value into Christ's sufferings.

may we have an abundant walk in the fullness of Christ

That is true ... God came down as man for our redemption but He also came to serve and not to be served . Look at one of His last acts of servanthood , washing the disciples feet . He could have said , wash my feet but He didn't . He is showing us humility and servanthood which should be in our character as well if we are His followers.

Amen, greatness in Christ's kingdom dosent consists in outward authority over others, but in the abundance of our love and deeds (if even be sacrifices) for the welfare of others.

Back