Atheist Richard Dawkins On Babies With Ds

I'm not going to give Mr. Dawkins any such compliment. We as Christians can weed the bad ones out with the Lord's help, we don't need help from an instigating atheist.
I respectfully disagree. When Christians encounter criticism they should be considering it from all directions. I have been on many forums and Christians often come under fire for being very judgmental, and I can only agree that we DO come across that way too often. So if we are to be fishers of men, maybe we should use that sort of criticism constructively.

I respectfully disagree. When Christians encounter criticism they should be considering it from all directions. I have been on many forums and Christians often come under fire for being very judgmental, and I can only agree that we DO come across that way too often. So if we are to be fishers of men, maybe we should use that sort of criticism constructively.

Wrong, when Mr. Dawkins puts Christians on blast, those who are genuine Christians or Christians in name only, he does so from an atheistic angle, not a biblical one. It only strengthens those who are not believers.

Wrong, when Mr. Dawkins puts Christians on blast, those who are genuine Christians or Christians in name only, he does so from an atheistic angle, not a biblical one. It only strengthens those who are not believers.
But if you don't seek to turn atheists into Christians, who do you try to reach?

I get that, but I think it's important to distinguish Christianity from people who misrepresent it.

I would agree with you. Who better to do that then those of faith using God's Word to point to those that have either stumbled and need Jesus to bring them back to the flock, or those who were never saved and just trying to stir up strife and controversy in the church? I don't need an atheist to use God's Word, from whom the Lord's Spirit is absent, I need a fellow brother or sister for whom the HS resides in, who are also strong in faith and spirit to use it.

I would agree with you. Who better to do that then those of faith using God's Word to point to those that have either stumbled and need Jesus to bring them back to the flock, or those who were never saved and just trying to stir up strife and controversy in the church? I don't need an atheist to use God's Word, from whom the Lord's Spirit is absent, I need a fellow brother or sister for whom the HS resides in, who are also strong in faith and spirit to use it.
Well, I am a Christian but not of the "saved" variety. I don't really see why we should look to labels when it comes to what people adhere to in terms of belief or unbelief. The worst and most unrepentant person can often turn to God and I think we can lead by example. Rather than turn from a Dawkins type person in disgust, I'd be more inclined to live my life in such a way that it inspires them somehow so that they don't tar all Christians with the same brush.

Absolutely accountability, guidance, and restoration come from within the church.

But part of remaining above reproach is taking outside claims seriously (not for granted). I don't think Peace is talking about taking a survey of public opinion and cutting off whomever the public is most dissatisfied with this month. But robust internal accountability that takes serious accusation (even external ones) seriously is something much of the church could do better at. That said, Peace I don't think Ray Comfort and Ken Hamm are who Paul was talking about when he said "Purge the evil-doer from among you"

Well, I am a Christian but not of the "saved" variety. I don't really see why we should look to labels when it comes to what people adhere to in terms of belief or unbelief. The worst and most unrepentant person can often turn to God and I think we can lead by example. Rather than turn from a Dawkins type person in disgust, I'd be more inclined to live my life in such a way that it inspires them somehow so that they don't tar all Christians with the same brush.
Amen. I would agree on the condition that living "in such a way that it inspires them somehow" involves Christ-likeness rather than switching sides to help with tarring the Christians who may deserve it.

Interesting, an unsaved Christian. What type of Christian would you say you are then? Or, let's omit the word 'Christian', what are your beliefs? How do you know your name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life?

I'd be more inclined to live my life in such a way that it inspires them somehow so that they don't tar all Christians with the same brush.

How do you suppose you are going to inspire them?

What is a Christian ..."but not of the "saved " verity??????

Interesting, an unsaved Christian. What type of Christian would you say you are then? Or, let's omit the word 'Christian', what are your beliefs? How do you know your name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life?
I was raised Catholic, and Catholics generally speaking don't use that expression. I strive to be saved, and I hope to be saved, but I don't pronounce myself saved now because I believe that is what God will do after I die. I would align myself more with Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc. than with the Baptists, etc. who say "saved".
How do you suppose you are going to inspire them?
With my actions and not with my words.

We do not have to sell them anything Larry. We are called to GIVE away a home in heaven to them. THEY on the other hand have to believe and accept Christ.

Haha, I originally wrote a somewhat long statement after my post that commented on how poorly worded that was before I erased it thinking people would know exactly what I meant. Perhaps I should have left it in. To "sell" them is misguiding and sounds like we're trying to con them into something -- trick them into falling for something. Nor are they to "buy" or even "buy into it." But of course that's not what I meant. What I wrote was a poorly worded statement.

You knew what I meant, Major ;)

God's Word says otherwise; see John 3. What other 'style' of Christianity is there when it comes to being saved/born again?
Maybe this is just an issue of terminology, but I don't consider Catholics, Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians and many others to be of the "born again" style of Christian.

Back