Audible Voice's.

What is the possibility of God speaking to a person with his audible voice, from what I know, God only does this when it's something very important?
How would a person know that it was God?
Has anyone ever actually HEARD God's audible voice? (If so please explain what it sounded like.)
These are three very important questions to me so I would really appreciate it if someone would please answer them. Also adding scripture if you can to help me better understand this. Lastly, I am not talking about the "still small voice" a lot of people talk about. I'm talking about his voice like actually hearing it with your ears like you hear music or someone talking.

Actually sorry, one more thing. Is it possible for an angel to speak to you audibly but you don't see them?

1) never follow a audible voice. Not God. The Holy Spirit lives inside us and we hear from inside. In the OT God had to shake someone with a voice and sign. These folks were not born again though or had a new spirit to hear the things of God.
Your name called at night? Whispering sounds while you lay in bed? All devil, or ear issues or being half asleep and coming from consciences to awake state and should be ignored.

2)
Scripture says we may have entertained angels unaware. Meaning you most likely met one. An Angel of the Lord would show up and speak though with no confusion.

3)
I have had many conversations with God and it's not a voice you hear. God operates in the realm of spirit, Satan operates in the physical realm and is more likely give voices in the head or even ears.

For example We were on the way to visit my Grandmother and I heard inside when I pulled up to get out on the main street from a Gas station to turn right. It was clear as day but not a voice or something I heard with my ears. I knew it was the Lord so I turned right and not left. I was asked by my passenger why we were going right and not left, I told them the Lord said Go right so we go right.

So, I just drive down the road then I hear stop here and talk to him for me.

Right where I stopped was a man with a bunch of papers in his hand. I pulled over on the side and called him over. He said he was looking for his missing Nephew and was handing out flyers in case anyone seen him. The strange thing was this man had heard me preach before about faith months back, I recognized him and he knew me. I told him remember that faith does not fear and was just waiting for what else to say from the Lord.

Then the Lord said to me........ "You tell him that his Nephew will be found safe tomorrow."

I told him and told him to just go home and wait. He will be found tomorrow safe, no problems.

I got a call a couple days latter that it was just like the Lord said, His nephew had left town with a friend and they were at his uncles and he told nobody.

I have links if you want teaching on hearing God, it would take way to much typing.

blessings.

1) never follow a audible voice. Not God. The Holy Spirit lives inside us and we hear from inside.

This girl was 7 years old at the time. She loved Jesus, but at that age had not completely understood everything about him or the bible. She always prayed to him, loved him, knew he was sovereign and the one and only God. She said she NEVER once second guessed anything she learned in Sunday school. (non-denominational Christian church)

She told me that she woke up to get ready for school and heard her name in a mighty voice. "It filled the room up and that it was so mighty it seemed like it echoed off the walls" she claims. She knew it didn't sound like a woman's voice but said only her mom was home. She asked her if she called her name and her mother said "no". The girl told me that she just guessed it was her imagination even though it seemed so real and just decided to let it go. She sat down at her dinning room table alone to eat her breakfast. Before she could put her spoon in her mouth to take her first bite of cereal, she heard it again and froze. She said it sounded the exact same as it did the first time and that the voice didn't change at all.

She thought then her mom was teasing her. She ran to ask her "Why do you keep saying my name and then say that you didn't say it?" Her mom responded that she was the one playing games because she was not calling her name. She questioned her mom "If it is not you saying my name who is it then?", her mom got upset and told her "I did not call your name neither did I hear someone call your name we're going to be late so go get ready to go now."

She swore it was so mighty and loud that it seemed to fill up the room and echo off the walls, her mom should have been able to hear it but she did not. She's 22 now and says that was the first and the last time anything like that ever happened to her. She's never had a problem with her hearing and never heard "voices" just that day. She said it was defiantly far from a whisper. It still crosses her mind sometimes because she can still remember how mighty the voice sounded.

This girl was 7 years old at the time. She loved Jesus, but at that age had not completely understood everything about him or the bible. She always prayed to him, loved him, knew he was sovereign and the one and only God. She said she NEVER once second guessed anything she learned in Sunday school. (non-denominational Christian church)

Thank you for sharing that. I have seen devils, things move across the room, my name being called at night, I have a scare on my nose from a stupid devil.

I don't attribute any of that to God.

when you hear God inside you, He will sound just like you, say things just like you would say them. This is why prophecy in a southern church can sound like this..... "ya all best be git'in right wit God."

I don't doubt she did not hear something, but with God there would be a reason and a answer. God is not the author of confusion, nor gives you some crazy dream with a bunch of symbolic things you have to figure out before the time is up. Our Father in Heave wants to tell you something, it's very clear. Even passing a billboard can give you a revelation inside you that makes something just make sense or get direction for. God knows how each will hear and is more than able to get things across to us.

Blessings.

What is the possibility of God speaking to a person with his audible voice, from what I know, God only does this when it's something very important?
Has anyone ever actually HEARD God's audible voice? (If so please explain what it sounded like.)
These are three very important questions to me so I would really appreciate it if someone would please answer them. Also adding scripture if you can to help me better understand this. Lastly, I am not talking about the "still small voice" a lot of people talk about. I'm talking about his voice like actually hearing it with your ears like you hear music or someone talking.

Actually sorry, one more thing. Is it possible for an angel to speak to you audibly but you don't see them?

many whom "the Holy Spirit falls upon" for the first time, a feeling of a "very gentle warmth, with a soothing slight pulsating low level electric" is felt .. I know many people besides myself who attest to this ..
to those who hear for the first time .. the HS teaches only one truth, and if ANYTHING contradicts what God has previously spoken through His word, then it is not of God ..

1Jo 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
this is written by John, inspired by the HS to say this for our benefit ..

the HS speaks to me fairly often ..
and yes, it never is banter, but always is specific, with not more then one sentence at a time, and to help .. I have found IF I am being displeasing in anyway, He will not speak to me, even though He never leaves me ..

when the HS speaks, it is not a voice per-say ..
but more closer to what is called telepathy ..
I hear the HS in my head and heart at once ..
His "thought/words" are not mine, as I have my own method of thought process, and is different then my own .. nor would I understand half as much as I do now, if He wasn't teaching me ..

Paul explains what it is like here ..
1Cr 2:13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

so Paul tells us this, so if you hear an "audible voice" you will know that is not how the HS speaks to us, but rather He speaks in "spiritual words we hear" ..

it is unique .. as you are being spoken to in your head and heart at the same time ..
so as I said, it is like telepathy, only you hear them in your heart as well ..
you cannot hear him unless you open up "your God ears" as I call them ..
which basically equates to reaching out to God in prayer, and opening up your spirit to Him once you call out to Him .. there are times when I am not even expecting it, and He speaks to me ..

the Father's voice, unlike the HS does have an audible voice .. and in close to a dozen times in the OT & NT combined always describes it as similar to indecipherable thunder .. the only time it is not, was at Jesus Baptism, however those present may still have heard it that way, with the HS translating to the Apostles as they wrote it .. this is unknown ..

Last edited:
many whom "the Holy Spirit falls upon" for the first time, a feeling of a "very gentle warmth, with a soothing slight pulsating low level electric" is felt .. I know many people besides myself who attest to this ..
to those who hear for the first time .. the HS teaches only one truth, and if ANYTHING contradicts what God has previously spoken through His word, then it is not of God ..

1Jo 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
this is written by John, inspired by the HS to say this for our benefit ..

the HS speaks to me fairly often ..
and yes, it never is banter, but always is specific, with not more then one sentence at a time, and to help .. I have found IF I am being displeasing in anyway, He will not speak to me, even though He never leaves me ..

when the HS speaks, it is not a voice per-say ..
but more closer to what is called telepathy ..
I hear the HS in my head and heart at once ..
His "thought/words" are not mine, as I have my own method of thought process, and is different then my own .. nor would I understand half as much as I do now, if He wasn't teaching me ..

Paul explains what it is like here ..
1Cr 2:13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

so Paul tells us this, so if you hear an "audible voice" you will know that is not how the HS speaks to us, but rather He speaks in "spiritual words we hear" ..

it is unique .. as you are being spoken to in your head and heart at the same time ..
so as I said, it is like telepathy, only you hear them in your heart as well ..
you cannot hear him unless you open up "your God ears" as I call them ..
which basically equates to reaching out to God in prayer, and opening up your spirit to Him once you call out to Him .. there are times when I am not even expecting it, and He speaks to me ..

the Father's voice, unlike the HS does have an audible voice .. and in close to a dozen times in the OT & NT combined always describes it as similar to indecipherable thunder .. the only time it is not, was at Jesus Baptism, however those present may still have heard it that way, with the HS translating to the Apostles as they wrote it .. this is unknown ..

Thank you for taking the time to give me a lot valuable information.
You said that the Fathers voice is describe as indecipherable thunder.
Though my friend say's she could hear her name clear as day, she said that it sounded very loud, mighty, filling up the room and almost like it was echoing or bouncing off the walls. She was 7 at the time, and it happened twice in one morning. If you didn't read the story that I posted in reply to MichaelH.
Do you think it's possible is was God calling her or was it satan?

[URL='http://www.blueletterbible.org/Bible.cfm?b=Jhn&c=12&v=28&t=NASB#s=1009028']Jhn 12:28 “Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came out of heaven: “I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.”
Jhn 12:29 So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, “An angel has spoken to Him.[/URL]

Though my friend say's she could hear her name clear as day, she said that it sounded very loud, mighty, filling up the room and almost like it was echoing or bouncing off the walls. She was 7 at the time, and it happened twice in one morning. If you didn't read the story that I posted in reply to MichaelH.

It's best not to speculate in someone else experiences. I have heard my name called, by what? My mind? A devil? The neighbor? If it's God, then there would be no doubt. I have seen lots of supernatural, but not all is God and I don't think much of it. There is a spirit realm and it's just as real and active as the realm we see and touch. Paul said Marvel not............... Don't be shocked....... don't think it's that big a deal if Satan himself shows up as an angel of Light.

Now most would think that would be a big deal with Satan standing in the bed room glowing and hovering a bit off the floor, but Paul said don't marvel and even consider.

When God tries to get our attention He is able to do so.

your welcome ..
I know some very God loving and fearing Christians who have been awakened to hear their name called .. and they insisted it was audible, yet their spouse in the room could not hear it .. so to those who are not accustomed to HOW they actually are hearing, it seems audible, because they have never experienced this before .. as in your original post ..

the HS speaks to us with gentle conviction .. personally a booming voice does not sound good .. I also have a lot of knowledge of the way the other side can speak .. perhaps the unique way the HS speaks (hear in your heart and head at once) is something other spirits cannot do .. I have only heard of them speaking in a persons head, and they create persona's of deceit, and banter .. and then torment once their ploy of deceit does not amuse them anymore ..

A voice would have a very distinct purpose.

If we look at Christ our example we can see that things became audible for the sake of those around Christ - the people around Him.

"Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 29The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him. 30Jesus said, “This voice was for your benefit, not mine." John 12:28-30.

"So they rolled the stone aside. Then Jesus looked up to heaven and said, “Father, thank you for hearing me.42 You always hear me, but I said it out loud for the sake of all these people standing here, so that they will believe you sent me.” John 11:41.

Christ and His father knew each other well. Their communication no doubt would have been intimate and clear. It is the same with us now - we ABIDE in Christ. With such closeness and intimacy - and with ears opened by the Spirit - why would we need a loud, thundering voice that jars us and leaves us wondering and without a clearer understanding/knowing of God and His will?

Don't forget Elijah. “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper.13 When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his cloak and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave. And a voice said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?” 1 Kings 19:11-13.

Besides, the fact that there is a question regarding this voice your friend heard does not bode well for the voice being from God. For "My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27. As MichaelH has pointed out, God is not the author of confusion. There will be no question of whether it is His voice or not when God speaks. The spirit/soul that belongs to Christ will know His voice.

when you hear God inside you, He will sound just like you, say things just like you would say them. This is why prophecy in a southern church can sound like this..... "ya all best be git'in right wit God."

I think some try to pass off their own thoughts ..
(which is either ignorance or blaspheming and exploiting God)
I know a ton of fake prophets and prophetess too ..
some of them you do not even need to hear them speak, because they take pay for it .. they all do well to avoid me, as I will expose them ..

Eze 13:2 “Son of man, prophesy against the prophets of Israel who prophesy, and say to those who prophesy from their own inspiration, ‘Listen to the word of the LORD!
Eze 13:3 ‘Thus says the Lord GOD, “Woe to the foolish prophets who are following their own spirit and have seen nothing.

Last edited:
I think some try to pass off their own thoughts ..
(which is either ignorance or blaspheming and exploiting God)
I know a ton of fake prophets and prophetess too ..
some of them you do not even need to hear them speak, because they take pay for it .. they all do well to avoid me, as I will expose them ..

Well, I had more in thinking of someone just speaking Prophecy (Hearing God and speaking it back) in like a normal setting or something. There is a reason Paul said despise not Prophecy, but prove all things and hold to that which is true. I am sure a whole bunch of folks were doing what your talking about.

Liz........God speaking in an audible voice to man has been a question for as long as there has been man.

But today we have the completed Word of God in the Bible and if God were to speak to us He would say what He has already said in that book of Scriptures.

When anyone begins to say that God is speaking to him in an audible voice, the bottom line there is going to be PRIDE.
The real "God is speaking to ME"! LOOK......I am special, God just spoke to ME!!!

As for angels speaking, why would they? Do we not have the Holy Spirit as our comforter and helper and guide.
IF we are filled with the Holy Spirit by the new birth, what possibly could an angel tell us above and beyound what God would tell us.

Liz........God speaking in an audible voice to man has been a question for as long as there has been man.

But today we have the completed Word of God in the Bible and if God were to speak to us He would say what He has already said in that book of Scriptures.

When anyone begins to say that God is speaking to him in an audible voice, the bottom line there is going to be PRIDE.
The real "God is speaking to ME"! LOOK......I am special, God just spoke to ME!!!

As for angels speaking, why would they? Do we not have the Holy Spirit as our comforter and helper and guide.
IF we are filled with the Holy Spirit by the new birth, what possibly could an angel tell us above and beyound what God would tell us.

I get what your saying. The girl who I posted in the story her mother as well heard a voice in the back seat of her car one day when she was in her last months in pregnancy driving down the road. When the light turned green and the cars started to proceed the voice said "Don't go" and she looked behind her and saw nothing she decided to go but before she could the voice said again "Don't go" so she didn't, she got over into the turning lane. The cars that were in front of her wound up getting in to a car accident up the road and the cars behind her had crashed into these cars. She said that she doesn't know what would have happened if she went but shes guessing she would have been involved in that car accident too and that possibly it could have hurt the baby since she was in her last term of pregnancy.

http://www.flcbranson.org/freedownloads-serieslist.php?category=Holy Spirit

All these teachings are free on the Holy Spirit.

This book here back in the 90's helped me understand that God has a plan, and we are suppose to hear God. This one has examples on hearing God, how to hear and lets us know God has a plan for each of us.

Plans purposes and pursuits

http://gracefulpen.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/plans-purposes-and-pursuits-kenneth-e-hagin.pdf

the best and classic. This one is what got me knowing what to hear for when God speaks. Amazing book. This is the only free copy I could find though.

How to be led by the Spirit of God.
http://spiritlivingnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-you-can-be-led-by-spirit-of-god.html

http://www.flcbranson.org/freedownloads-serieslist.php?category=Holy Spirit

All these teachings are free on the Holy Spirit.

This book here back in the 90's helped me understand that God has a plan, and we are suppose to hear God. This one has examples on hearing God, how to hear and lets us know God has a plan for each of us.
Plans purposes and pursuits
http://gracefulpen.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/plans-purposes-and-pursuits-kenneth-e-hagin.pdf

the best and classic. This one is what got me knowing what to hear for when God speaks. Amazing book. This is the only free copy I could find though.

How to be led by the Spirit of God.
http://spiritlivingnow.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-you-can-be-led-by-spirit-of-god.html

Thank you, I'm going to look into this.

personally a booming voice does not sound good .. I also have a lot of knowledge of the way the other side can speak .. perhaps the unique way the HS speaks (hear in your heart and head at once) is something other spirits cannot do .. I have only heard of them speaking in a persons head, and they create persona's of deceit, and banter .. and then torment once their ploy of deceit does not amuse them anymore ..

I could see how a "booming voice" wouldn't sound good either. The girl was only 7 at the time though, so I'm wondering exactly why God would allow the devil to do something like this to a little girl who believes in him and does not have knowledge on how the devil operates on people? The only reason why the girl "doesn't know" if it was God is because at the time she was 7 she didn't know how to hear from the HS and because she never heard someone tell her that God spoke to them this way. She said that she fell away from God when she was 13 and got involved in some things that put her into a program at 15. When she got out she decided to go to church, the first night she attend the youth group the pastor was actually talking about when God spoke to people in the bible and about when God spoke to Samuel and had called his name. She then remembered what happened to her when she was younger and asked the youth pastor about it at the end of the service. He couldn't give her an answer though on what exactly it was that she heard. So, with all of this information, I'm guessing it was just somehow all in her head? God doesn't cause confusion, so if it was truly him who spoke to her in an audible voice he would have not just said her name? Possibly, it was the devil for whatever reason?

poor assumption ..
those whom God does speak to feel unworthy but KNOW they are given this to serve ..
have you never read the parable of the talents ???
those that invest it (use it to serve) are given even more ..,

the HS gives the gift of prophecy and teaching ..
please explain how either is accomplished otherwise ..

Back