Baptism in the Holy Spirit

speaking in tongues was predicted by the prophet Isaiah 28:9-12 .... The Holy Spirit works within the realm of everything that is centered on the CROSS OF CHRIST .Now in the book of Acts you can also find it recorded in chapter 2 "And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire" :smiley30: this is the only record of such in the NT that was the fullfillment of JOHN THE BAPTIST concerning Jesus Matthew chapter 3 verse 11 . All can be filled with the Holy Spirit as I understand due to the cross of Christ which is what enables the Holy Spirit to come unto the hearts of all believers and abide permanently as not all speak in tongues . The speaking in tongues is evidenced , yet this is NOT for others to interpret whether you do or whether you do not have the filling indwelling of the Holy Spirit .

Many people question the concept of "multiple fillings" of the Holy Spirit, and as far as I'm aware such is not specifically taught in didactic passages of scripture. However, it does seem to be the case in Acts. In Acts 2.4 the disciples/apostles were baptized in the Spirit, then later as they were in prayer or encountering specific obsticles it says they were again "filled with the Spirit" (Acts 4.8, 4.31). Of course, instead of "multiple fillings", it might be more like living in the river of live. Some times we're just wading in the shallows on calm sunny day, other times the river faces obsticles that it moves us to overcome, boulders and rapids where we are overwhelmingly moved by the Spirit.

Either way, regardless of how we speak of it, the important thing is to Live in the Baptism with the Spirit, to live in the power of God that brings live, heaven to earth, healing to the sick, salvation to the lost, provision for the poor,.......!!!!

Good post.

I believe we are to be filled again and again because the Bible says be filled with the Spirit, But really it means be being filled, which is present tense, continually.( Ephesians 5:18)
Always be full of the Spirit. So we should be filled each day with the Spirit. The Bible says to stir up the gift that is with in us. There are times it seems we are going through a 'dry period.' We definately need a refreshing by being refilled with the Spirit then, but better to stay filled.

Jesus is not the Father or the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the Father or the Son. The Father is not the Son or the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is not the Father or the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the Father or the Son. The Father is not the Son or the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ is most certainly MY Father, lol, look at my name. He is most certainly MY Holy Spirit. You sure can't take THAT away from me, please don't try!
How else can I be the Son of God unless I am fathered by His Holy Spirit in me??
How else is "Christ in me"? LOL
A Son knows His Father.
May we all be so Blessed!
Son of Jesus

That is exactly true . God the Father ... Jesus the Son and Holy Spirit our comforter., our guide, our teacher. The Holy Spirit is God's provision of restoration to put things back together from the sin in the OT. We can either live in the realm of the flesh ( without God ) or in the realm of the Holy Spirit in the light of Jesus Christ ....

John 10:10

10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

But the other day a Pastor from the UPC (friend's son) told me that if I didn't speak in tongues by the "Holy Ghost" that I didn't have the evidence that I even had the "Holy Ghost" and that I still needed saved and to receive the "Holy Ghost" and speak in tongues!
I asked Him what the Name of His Holy Ghost was and he just stared and sputtered a little bit and then turned away.
Would anyone like to comment on this? Is this typical amongst UPC?
Do UPC know "WHO" the Holy Spirit is by name or don't they?
Thanks,
Son of Jesus

Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples. He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

They were already disciples, meaning they were saved and following Jesus. This verse shows we must be believers, before we can recieve the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, with the evidence of other tongues. The world ( unbeliever) cannot recieve the Holy Spirit. ( John 14:17)

Here is a wonderful quote that sums it all up ;

"There are two sides to the baptism of the Holy Spirit: the first condition is that you possess the baptism; the second is that the baptism possesses you." Smith Wigglesworth

I love that quote Dusty
it says it
(smile)
pss....Ive lost my smileys cause Im using lapT instead of home
traveling home for Holidays and all
I really miss that feature LOL !

I have been recently baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of other tongues. I can now pray with more boldness and power so much that it affects the area and people around me. This has been a topic we usually close due to its seemingly controversial nature. I have now opened a seperate forum for us to discuss this subject so each one of us can understand and experience the power of God in our lives.
Just recently, I was slained in the Holy Spirit. It was very powerful. People were crowding around me, laid their hands on me, and all of a sudden, my legs became weak and I fell backwards. It was very powerful.

So I want to say thanks for making a separate forum for us ;). because you're right, this can be very controversial and can cause problems!
i'm so happy that it has happened to you!!!!! :)

Jeff,
When you receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues, your life will drastically change. Especially if you pray in tongues each day. Its like having a deeper relationship with the Lord :)

Just recently, I was slained in the Holy Spirit. It was very powerful. People were crowding around me, laid their hands on me, and all of a sudden, my legs became weak and I fell backwards. It was very powerful.

So I want to say thanks for making a separate forum for us ;). because you're right, this can be very controversial and can cause problems!

You said it, sister, that "this can be very controversial and can cause problems!" Indeed! Yet folks have done so well to express their beliefs carefully and others not to 'jump on them' and cause dissention. Thus a great thread in the truest CFS tradition, that I believe we all want more and more of!!!

Agape (love) to all!

- BM

Spinning . Now you have received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit and His power and no one can take that away from you . He has given you power to speak with boldness and not be afraid of what people will say .

I believe we receive three baptisms. Let me explain ;

1.... Baptism into the Body of Christ..... And that is Salvation .......1 Cor 12 : 13. We are all baptized into one body and filled with the Holy Spirit when we are saved .Every believer receives the same amount of the Spirit Jews or Greeks, slave or free.... every believer receives as much Holy Spirit as there is to receive.... Col 2: 9-10...The presence of the Holy Spirit is what identifies us as believers "into one body"

2..... Water Baptism .....Romans 6 3-4....Baptism ( Name Tag)... Spiritual Truth... Identifies us with the community as a Christian representing spiritual truth. All of us who were baptized in water have been a representative of Death to self and sin and now alive in Christ.

3......Baptism in the Holy Spirit...... we receive power for service.... Acts 1:8.... we receive power in word and deed. we receive effectiveness in our Christian witness

" You will be my witness " Acts 2:4 All of them received Acts10:45-46 Acts 19:6

When we accept Christ, the Holy Spirit begins a great work in our lives . The Spirit convicts us of sin , convinces us of righteousness , and dwells within us. No one can become a Christian without the gracious work of the Holy Spirit.

However people also ask why we should be baptized in the Holy Spirit and can we receive eternal life in heaven without the baptism of the Holy Spirit . ?

I would say that eternal life does not depend on being baptized in the Holy Spirit , for salvation is by grace through faith alone.

The Bible does not say the baptism of the Spirit is required for salvation . It does tell us that Christ commanded His first followers to wait for the Holy Spirit to come upon them

Baptism in the Holy Spirit is a personal encounter to be sought for a fuller dimension of spiritual understanding and empowerment and comes later as we seek the Lord for more of Him Every one does have different experiences and I can attribute mine to when I was deep in prayer about difficulties in my life that I could not imagine happening and when I was praying , I felt like an electricity go through my body and I could not control my tongue and I could not speak English . I don’t know how long this happened but after , I felt the peace that passes all understanding knowing that God was working it all out for my good as I released the problem to Him .

I felt like an electricity go through my body

Just a note of explanation. It doesn't feel bad like getting shocked. LOL. But in a real good way, like a current. Jesus said He felt virtue going from His body. And like she said, everyone doesn't experience it.

Just a note of explanation. It doesn't feel bad like getting shocked. LOL. But in a real good way, like a current. Jesus said He felt virtue going from His body. And like she said, everyone doesn't experience it.
Thanks GodSpeaks ... I should have explained it more as people would have the wrong impression .. Of course it was not the same as a real shock ( I have never experienced that ) but that was the only way I could describe it . But every one has a different experience and the Holy Spirit being personal gives each one what they need on a personal basis. You might not have the same feeling and surley others who testified here all have different experiences .

Like one said , they were slain in the Spirit ... I have never felt that but have had the weak legs but have still stood . It does not matter how and where others have had the expereince but to strive for a deeper walk with the Lord asking Him for more and He will answer your prayer and you will never be the same . Love the Lord with all your heart all your mind and all your strength and He will give you the desires of your heart .

I have been recently baptised in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of other tongues. I can now pray with more boldness and power so much that it affects the area and people around me.

That’s awesome Jeff,. Here are several reasons why it’s important to pray in tongues.

Jude 20Building up your most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost.
When we pray in the spirit it builds our faith and strengthens us.

1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels...
We could be praying in a language only heaven knows, sometimes in earthly languages.

1 Corinthians 14:2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
When we pray in the Spirit, we are speaking mysteries, things we do not know about, but the Lord hears and answers them.

1 Corinthians 14:14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
When we pray in the spirit it comes from our spirit not our mind, we don't understand it with our natural mind, but don’t need to because we are talking to God.

Romans 8:26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered
We don't know how we should pray, but we can pray in an unknown tongue, as the Spirit gives us the utterance and the Holy Spirit prays through us.

Romans 8:27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
We are praying out the Father's perfect will in your life or someone elses, praying out the details. We should pray in tongues everyday.

Ephesians 6:11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil

Ephesians 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the spiritbeing watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
This is only only part of the armour and if we don’t use the whole armour we aren’t fully protected.

1 Corinthians 14;18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all.
If Paul prayed in tongues a lot, how much more should we do so.

That’s awesome Jeff,. Here are several reasons why it’s important to pray in tongues.

Jude 20Building up your most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost.
When we pray in the spirit it builds our faith and strengthens us.

1 Corinthians 13:1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels...
We could be praying in a language only heaven knows, sometimes in earthly languages.

1 Corinthians 14:2For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
When we pray in the Spirit, we are speaking mysteries, things we do not know about, but the Lord hears and answers them.

1 Corinthians 14:14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful.
When we pray in the spirit it comes from our spirit not our mind, we don't understand it with our natural mind, but don’t need to because we are talking to God.

Romans 8:26Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered
When you don't know how to pray about a situation, you can pray in an unknown tongue, as the Spirit gives you the utterance and the Holy Spirit prays through us.

Romans 8:27Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
We are praying out the Father's perfect will in your life or someone elses, praying out the details. We should pray in tongues everyday.

Ephesians 6:11Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil

Ephesians 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the spiritbeing watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.
This is only only part of the armour and if we don’t use the whole armour we aren’t fully protected.

1 Corinthians 14;18I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all.
If Paul prayed in tongues a lot, how much more should we do so.

Those are awesome GodSpeaks and I had to made them bigger so I could really read them ..... LOL

I am saying this because I know what I have experienced is so true that thrice I fell down under the power of God. Twice in public and the other time when I was communicating alone with God in my room. The experience was too awesome to put into words. :)

Yes it is awesome!! :D

When the strong anointing of God’s glory is manifested, the results can be falling under the power of God because when it comes in contact with mere human flesh something has to give. It’s the overwhelming presence and love of God. We can understand how this would be possible when we stop to think of the magnitude of strength and power of God's Spirit raising the dead or parting the Red Sea and holding it back. Our physical flesh cannot contain the full power of God in this life, but when we get our new body it will be able to contain it.

Here are more verses about this experience.

1 Kings 8:10And it came to pass, when the priests were come out of the holy place, that the cloud filled the house of the LORD,
11So that the priests could not standto minister because of the cloud: for the glory of the LORD had filled the house of the LORD.

Ezekiel 44:4Then brought he me the way of the north gate before the house: and I looked, and, behold, the glory of the LORD filled the house of the LORD: and I fell upon my face

John 18:5They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them,I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them. 6As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground

Acts 9:3And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: 4And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? 5And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Acts 10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour: 10And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance

Rev. 1:17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last

Our physical flesh cannot contain the full power of God in this life, but when we get our new body it will be able to contain it.

Hi GodSpeaks, just a clarification. I agree we will get a new body which is like the glorified body of Christ but do you mean it will be able to contain the full power of God ?

Back