Be Still...

1702202430247.png

Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth! ~Psalm 46:10

I have struggled with this for the last few days. Strangely... I have gone from doing absolutely NOTHING for Christmas... to suddenly... I seem to be doing EVERYTHING. The biggest cause of my busyness is baking and plans of baking on a way larger scale than I am used to. This morning I woke up with the same gnawing of "self-appointed and inflicted" pressure to perform. FINALLY my wisdom has kicked in and said.... NOPE... not taking on anymore pressure or stress over something that is meant to be a BLESSING to others. My baking is a labour of love... NOT a mountain of STRESS.

How AMAZING that HIS MERCIES are NEW every single morning. Can you GRASP that TRUTH? We wake up every morning to a BLANK SLATE. It's a NEW DAY... for new choices... new adventures... new outcomes... new possibilities. I believe once we go back to SQUARE ONE..... the CORNERSTONE ( CHRIST JESUS )... and the REASON for the SEASON ( His BLESSED birth )... everything else very quickly fades away and doesn't really seem to matter at all.

Today... I am having a dear friend over for supper. I will be bringing my basket of baking to the Fire Department on Friday the 15th... and after this... I can focus on the original plan of doing my puzzle. It's funny how we can get so absorbed in doing things in ORDER or a certain way. In the past... the big thing was the puzzle... This year... I have had to let the puzzle take a back seat. It will still get done in time. This year I am blessing others... last year I was simply avoiding the rush of Christmas. I would say that is an improvement. If I work things out in such a way as to ENJOY each task... it truly will make for a JOY-FILLED season.

So often... our cares and burdens are inflicted upon us by us. We build these insurmountable mountains of things that have to be done when in essence... NONE of it matters.

Father... I ask you to bless each and every one of us with the "skill" of learning to be STILL. Help us to shut out all the NOISE of the commercialized holiday rush so that we might quickly come back to proper focus on YOU. Help us to prioritize what is not necessary and what is important. Help us to complete the tasks that need be to BLESS our friends and families. In Jesus most precious name... I pray.

A trick that I have learned over the years and almost FORGOT to remember HA... is to invite Jesus to join you during an event/task. I always invite Jesus to come with me for my morning walks... but because my life is very quiet... I forget that He delights in these invitations all throughout the day.

God bless you all.
~Tenderly, In Awe of Him

sounds like the silly season again.
Why must you do baking? Because people will die if they don't have their cakes?

The other day I went to a market where young people were selling their homemade wares. One enterprising child had jars of already mixed up gingerbread cookie mix and christmas cake mix. I think you meant to give them to people as gifts and they just add water and put it in a tin or make dough so they can bake it themselves in their own ovens when they want to eat them lol

Serving our communities in some capacity, even if it be in some small way, is linked in scripture with the outward stroke of practicing the Christian faith.

We are encouraged in scripture to help others with a joyful spirit, to Love one another, care for one another, pray for one another, encourage each other…. to support one another.

Sometimes (particularly at this time of year!) this is expressed as a gift of appreciation for the service that others render to us, and the greater community.

Scripture repeatedly tells us of how important this is in our relationship to God, that is, the importance of serving God by service to others.

1 Peter 4:10-11​

10 “Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
11 If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. Amen.”

I imagine there will be some deeply touched members of your local fire department this year when they realize the depth of your commitment and appreciation in baking for them!

God bless you In Awe of Him and your efforts.

sounds like the silly season again.
Why must you do baking? Because people will die if they don't have their cakes?
Hi Lanolin.... I decided to bake for the Fire Department this year because I have just been through the most difficult experience of my life.
and I decided to do something I would not normally do. THAT is why I am baking... to say THANK YOU to God for protecting me and sheltering me. I don't do much for others... and so this was something I thought would bless a large group of people.

The silly season with which you refer to is usually a season I have NOT celebrated due to suffering with severe depression. The Lord has healed me from that... so I think it's MY TURN to do something special for others.

Hi Lanolin.... I decided to bake for the Fire Department this year because I have just been through the most difficult experience of my life.
and I decided to do something I would not normally do. THAT is why I am baking... to say THANK YOU to God for protecting me and sheltering me. I don't do much for others... and so this was something I thought would bless a large group of people.

The silly season with which you refer to is usually a season I have NOT celebrated due to suffering with severe depression. The Lord has healed me from that... so I think it's MY TURN to do something special for others.
aw if they saved your life then yes that something nice to do for them.

I know they are often called out to schools when the teachers leave the toaster on and it sets off the smoke alarm. We have a fire drill and sometimes the trucks come but there's nothing to put out.
One teachers house unfortunately burned down and she wasn't there (thankfully) so she lost her house but I don't think it was her fault, sometimes these things happen with faulty wiring.

Firefighters are often volunteers and they need funds (and I suppose baking) too. I know they sell calendars for fundraising.
St John Ambulances here have op shops and often donate to them because they are voluntary too and there are several ways to support them.

When my mum needed to go to hospital they came right away and two volunteers carried her in. I don't know if dad got the bill or not a call out can cost $90 but I know we couldn't have got her to the hospital without the ambulance. It was a bumpy ride to the hospital I remember. I don't recall the names of the volunteers but we gave flowers and chocolate and a card to the doctor who looked after mum in the hospital.

I picked the flowers from my garden. I often give flowers cos I grow them and easier to put together..I'm not good at baking much (I'm too messy, don't have my own kitchen) so I hardly do it. Although I remember I did bake for children one year made date scones because was doing the story of Abigail and it was to show what she did for David.

I'd love to have the time to bake or my own kitchen to make bread but I think its one of those things like knitting that takes a lot of time and energy to do for others. As women I think we are expected to do all these things but honestly who has the the time or resources these days. So if you can do one thing thats nice but a lot of pressure to do it all OR go shopping when you don't have the money!

I've been receiving a lot of chocolates lately its like its Easter again. I don't know if I can eat that much chocolate but its a treat thats easy to give and obtain, so long as you don't eat a whole box or block at once. Chocolate is also said to help with depression, it got us through one lockdown.
I had a lovely morning tea at the school they put on for us helpers, so that was nice.

I have been in some organisations where the workers have to fund and organise their own christmas party. I guess that was what I find is a bit silly, you working hard all week and then have to find time, money and energy to be social on top of that. I have been in other companies where it was all put on for free and everything organised already and that was really nice to be appreciated by the management.

What a beatiful post Lanolin ... I wish I was receiving a lot of chocolate lately. HAHA
It sounds like you are being very resourceful in coping through difficult times.
I am not in the work force so I don't understand how things work... but back in the day... I do believe Christmas parties
were put on and paid for by the company. I agree... this is the way it should be.

Some of our most fierce struggles are with and against ourselves.
I absolutely agree with this statement. I know until I understood that I was truly loved by God and that all I need to do when I fall short is repent and run to Him ( no guilt or shame attached )... my own thoughts were indeed my most fierce struggle. Nice to hear from you Music Man. You were the first person I conversed with when I arrived.

I absolutely agree with this statement. I know until I understood that I was truly loved by God and that all I need to do when I fall short is repent and run to Him ( no guilt or shame attached )... my own thoughts were indeed my most fierce struggle. Nice to hear from you Music Man. You were the first person I conversed with when I arrived.

It is to the glory of the Lord that all our interactions in Christ together are uplifting.

1 Peter 1:3-9
3 Blessed [be] the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while, if need be, you have been grieved by various trials,
7 that the genuineness of your faith, [being] much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ, (Revelation 1:1)
8 whom having not seen, you love. Though now you do not see [Him], yet believing, you rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 receiving the end of your faith--the salvation of [your] souls.

This points to what most remain unaware. The revelation of Christ isn't just a personal, individual thing. What greater revelation of Christ will there be?

Yes, it is at the time when we have crowns when we return with Him "...ready to be revealed in the last time." These little nuggets of precious stones interspersed throughout, they keep the real meaning hidden from the blind, having been revealed to those who were once blind, but now see...those who are willing to accept the truth, that is.

Acts 9:5 And he said, "Who are You, Lord?" Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. It [is] hard for you to kick against the goads."

What does it mean to kick against the goads? Here is what Thayer's Greek Lexicon has to say:

"as in the Greek writings an iron goad, for urging on oxen, horses and other beasts of burden; hence, the proverb πρός κέντρα λακτίζειν, to kick against the goad, i. e. to offer vain and perilous or ruinous resistance: Acts 9:5"

Thus the prayer Jesus commanded of us all who are in Him:

Luke 21:35-36
35 "For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth.
36 "Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man."

We are not dwellers upon this earth. We are sojourners:

1 Peter 2:11 Beloved, I beg [you] as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul,

Amen

MM

Gosh Musicmaster ... your brain is so incredibly complex and your articulations so deep... I find it difficult to follow your contributions because they are like a million points in one bang.

You have spoken such beauty and truth here... but I am not able to respond... I am only able to unpack little bite sized pieces.

It has been made known to me that I am NOT of this earth but rather a sojourner. The Lord has taught me/convinced me that His love for me is unshakeable... and this truth has allowed me to take REST in HIM.

Thank you for this deep response.

Gosh Musicmaster ... your brain is so incredibly complex and your articulations so deep... I find it difficult to follow your contributions because they are like a million points in one bang.

You have spoken such beauty and truth here... but I am not able to respond... I am only able to unpack little bite sized pieces.

It has been made known to me that I am NOT of this earth but rather a sojourner. The Lord has taught me/convinced me that His love for me is unshakeable... and this truth has allowed me to take REST in HIM.

Thank you for this deep response.

They key to what appears to others as my allegedly being a deep thinker is that I read, re-read, and re-read again and again what is stated so that it has time and repetition to sink into my own thick head. :)

We all who are in Christ have the Spirit of the Lord within us...the One who makes all the revelation to us all as He sees fit to parse out to our little minds...especially mine. Isn't that great?

MM

We all who are in Christ have the Spirit of the Lord within us...the One who makes all the revelation to us all as He sees fit to parse out to our little minds...especially mine. Isn't that great?
It absolutely is indeed great... however... I think some of us are more inclined to STUDY scripture in a deeper way. I don't know how to say this without making myself look BAD. HA. I am simple in my thinking... I am not one to pick things apart for the sake of study. My faith is practical and relevant to my own personal journey. My day is spent simply Worshipping and thanking God for being WHO HE SAYS HE IS. That keeps me full. Perhaps I am lacking in something that you have. I need things to be simple or I get stressed out and anxious.
Anyways... It was nice to bump into you. I'm sorry I am not able to keep up with you in a meaningful conversation.

It absolutely is indeed great... however... I think some of us are more inclined to STUDY scripture in a deeper way. I don't know how to say this without making myself look BAD. HA. I am simple in my thinking... I am not one to pick things apart for the sake of study. My faith is practical and relevant to my own personal journey. My day is spent simply Worshipping and thanking God for being WHO HE SAYS HE IS. That keeps me full. Perhaps I am lacking in something that you have. I need things to be simple or I get stressed out and anxious.
Anyways... It was nice to bump into you. I'm sorry I am not able to keep up with you in a meaningful conversation.

Dear one, you already add tremendous value to all our lives in your testimony about worshipping the Lord each day. It gives wonderful meaning to what we are instructed, which is to pray without ceasing, and giving thanks always.

We don't have to go deeply into exploring the depths of God's word to glean deeper things. He has already revealed to you what you need in the time you spend with Him in worship and praise. His Spirit gives to us greater depth than what cosmologists can see through their petty instruments, all gazing out into the wondrous creation of the Lord's own precious Hands!

You know, it's actually in simplicity where I personally find the greatest solace...

Blessings to you and yours.

MM

Studying the Bible does take some discipline and if you not used to formal academic study (rhetorical question and answer format, referencing, etc) it can feel like its a bit over ones head.

There are all sorts of helps and commentaries, histories etc. I would generally embark on it a book at a time. I used to have a very good Bible teacher who did just that and she had a great method of question, answer and reflection in a small group. I don't know if I could really cope with a rigorous course of study in a lecture/uni environment with exams and essays and things now....but if it is your passion and you like theology and asking the big questions it will be something that is never ending for you lol

I mean just about anyone starting up a works salvation thread will find the whole thing endless and you could debate and argue about it forever.

Some Bible colleges put on free courses but it requires a lot of commitment and time which you need to know before you start it. As with any course of study I suppose. The Greeks loved that part of it and we are sort of carrying on that tradition of philosophizing online forums I suppose. But the beauty of online forums is you can have a bit of fun of them it's not all serious.

(except if you have one of those moderators that will pounce on you for a spelling mistake) But then we need to treat scripture as precious.

This video expresses so well some wonderful truths that are uncomfortable for many, and yet encouraging in our pursuit to "Be Still."

Being still and just beholding the Lord and His wondrous ways...it's worthwhile:

GOOD MORNING Musicmaster ... Well... I got a good start on this video... WOW... it is jam-packed with wisdom and information.
I was trying to take notes but had so many things to write down because each point was relevant. Anyways... in light of this thread "Be Still"... I injected this to every problem the narrator speaks of. The opposite of all the noise and chaos happening is to BE still and retreat into HIM.
At one time ( earlier in history )... one could live and let live relatively easily. Now... because of the promotion and push of SELF-IMPORTANCE... we are experiencing all these "special" groups coming out and making a lot of noise to be "heard". Tolerance has turned into INCLUSION and INCLUSION has turned into an ULTIMATUM for all to embrace... or ELSE.

Thank you for this video. I cannot promise I will watch it all today but I do have a good half hour start.

GOOD MORNING Musicmaster ... Well... I got a good start on this video... WOW... it is jam-packed with wisdom and information.
I was trying to take notes but had so many things to write down because each point was relevant. Anyways... in light of this thread "Be Still"... I injected this to every problem the narrator speaks of. The opposite of all the noise and chaos happening is to BE still and retreat into HIM.
At one time ( earlier in history )... one could live and let live relatively easily. Now... because of the promotion and push of SELF-IMPORTANCE... we are experiencing all these "special" groups coming out and making a lot of noise to be "heard". Tolerance has turned into INCLUSION and INCLUSION has turned into an ULTIMATUM for all to embrace... or ELSE.

Thank you for this video. I cannot promise I will watch it all today but I do have a good half hour start.

Being still is also the response the enemy of our souls doesn't want. What we see happening today is very similar to what has transpired throughout history in the arena of persecution.

For example, the Christians in ancient Rome found themselves being highlighted in ways that they did not foresee. Because they did not have houses with windows to look out upon the gross immorality going on all around their homes in the streets, they did not attend immoral social events and festivals, and did not participate in the orgies at the public baths, the other Roman citizens began to feel guilty about their lifestyles, and so began to complain to the officials, claiming that the Christians were "haters of humanity," and they even made up stories about the Christians being cannibals who ate children based upon things the neighbors heard in the singing and teaching within the first century Church homes in the Roman provinces.

So, even though they kept still, and just gazed upon their Lord, the culture singled them out, which is similar to what transpired in Jerusalem and the persecutions there from the Jews against Jews. Social circles with the wicked dominating it all, the Light that shone from believers back then was like a neon target painted on them.

However, there were also those who observed the peace and serenity in the lives of those believers, and so their numbers grew as a result, in spite of dwindling due to persecution and murder. Even the soldiers who threw them over cliffs were greatly affected by having to cast people over precipices who were abiding in such peace and joy in the face of such horrendous acts perpetrated against them.

Dear ones, THAT is the POWER of Christ in our lives. That same Power operates in our lives just as it did for them on those times, but we must remain faithful and true to the Lord in everything. Sin is the poison that destroys the peace in any life, dragging down a soul into the same mire and muck of those around us.

The Lord is the One who gives to us that peace that passes all understanding, allowing us to be still in life, not being upset by it all, going out there to become thorns in the craws of the wicked. It is enough upset to them when they see our peace, observe the Light shining from within us from the Lord, and taste the salt of the Gospel. As a natural preservative, they cannot help but to recognize the taste and its benefits.

MM

Back