Bible question about this Goliath fellow

Apr 13, 2019
Yuma, AZ USA
In the story of David and Goliath the question occasionally arises: "Why did David take five stones when he only needed one to kill Goliath?" The first time I was exposed to this story my teacher said it was because Goliath had four brothers. I can only find one in the bible, 1 Chronicles 20:5.

If you can offer anything on this topic I will appreciate it.

Pastor Gary

Senior Moderator and Staff Trainer
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Staff Trainer
Oct 29, 2006
Several US locations - seasonally
Because of a significant close-up reading vision issue, I usually do not get involved in open forum discussions. However, this same topic came up well over 10 years ago in the forum, but when a forum software upgrade took place, many threads were lost - including that one. Therefore, I'll just mention what was discussed back then and the outcome of that discussion. I will not be able to participate in this discussion any further, but the info below was the outcome of that discussion regarding the question about the 5 stones:

Since it is not specified in scripture directly, we must look back at how David had prepared for things previously in his young life. He always had a staff with him for controlling and herding the sheep and for keeping predators away. Once he had the permission of the King to do battle with the giant, the King offered David his armor - which was way too large for David - but at least David tried to make additional preparations before the confrontation. (see 1 Samuel 17:32-14 for details). David was confident about being able to defeat the giant and God had his back, but the Israelites and David all knew that not only did Goliath have brothers, but there were many other giants from Gath that could possibly be involved in the battle. It is only logical conjecture, but that might possibly be why David took extra stones with him to use in the sling - if needed.

`

Reactions: Siloam
Apr 13, 2019
Yuma, AZ USA
Because of a significant close-up reading vision issue, I usually do not get involved in open forum discussions. However, this same topic came up well over 10 years ago in the forum, but when a forum software upgrade took place, many threads were lost - including that one. Therefore, I'll just mention what was discussed back then and the outcome of that discussion. I will not be able to participate in this discussion any further, but the info below was the outcome of that discussion regarding the question about the 5 stones:

Since it is not specified in scripture directly, we must look back at how David had prepared for things previously in his young life. He always had a staff with him for controlling and herding the sheep and for keeping predators away. Once he had the permission of the King to do battle with the giant, the King offered David his armor - which was way too large for David - but at least David tried to make additional preparations before the confrontation. (see 1 Samuel 17:32-14 for details). David was confident about being able to defeat the giant and God had his back, but the Israelites and David all knew that not only did Goliath have brothers, but there were many other giants from Gath that could possibly be involved in the battle. It is only logical conjecture, but that might possibly be why David took extra stones with him to use in the sling - if needed.

`
Thank you for your contribution. I have always answered the question with "Because he knew he would need some ammo." But I have always wondered about the brothers.

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
This was not as unequal of a fight as many suppose.

God had been prepping David most of his life tending sheep and using a sling to guard them from predators. This equipped David to be used in this manner.

When it came down to it, God through David, turned the 'advantage' of Goliath into a liability.

Fighting up close would be fighting Goliath's strength. Using a distance method nullified most of Goliath's strengths, in fact his size made a large target to hit!

If were to generalize, I would say to develop our abilities as tools for the Lord, Look for ministry that maximizes our spiritual strengths and be ready for His return at the next blink of an eye while being prepared for a long life of service.

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
www.literatelibrarian.com
Never thought why he needed five stones, but then isnt it prudent to take extra anyway. I didnt recall that Goliath had four brothers.
Im sure I told this story in school but nobody has ever asked me why he took five stones.

Reading the story he had to run and get a sword to cut Goliaths head off. And the philistines fled also so it maybe they saw he had more stones and was going to use them to fight them too.

Jan 25, 2019
Uganda
This is agood story which we want to know all of us as Christians, first all is that we as christains we are still with Goliath now, To days Goliath are:- Stress, Sickness, Poverty, e.t.c and to days stone is pray which is that you can"t pray once to all these Goliath.
Back to the Bible story, God have never spoken that David will kill Goliath and there was no hope so David to take one stone was like testing God. David was to be equip enough with his weapon (stones) b"se you don"t know he can kill Goliath and someone else comes against him.
God Bless You.

Sep 3, 2009
Florida
Thank you for your contribution. I have always answered the question with "Because he knew he would need some ammo." But I have always wondered about the brothers.
I believe you have hit upon the right answer. David did not doubt God and in fact believed Him to the highest degree.

Goliath had FOUR brothers. The law of ancient retribution said that if you kill my brother, I then have the right to kill you.

David had 5 stones....one for Goliath and four more, one for each brother in case he stepped out to make that claim.

God gave David exactly what he needed in order to be successful.

2 Samuel 21:21-22...………….
" And when yhe taunted Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimei, David’s brother, struck him down. These four were descended from the giants in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants. "

Reactions: Agnes Haduca 2019