Bible question about this Goliath fellow

In the story of David and Goliath the question occasionally arises: "Why did David take five stones when he only needed one to kill Goliath?" The first time I was exposed to this story my teacher said it was because Goliath had four brothers. I can only find one in the bible, 1 Chronicles 20:5.

If you can offer anything on this topic I will appreciate it.

Because of a significant close-up reading vision issue, I usually do not get involved in open forum discussions. However, this same topic came up well over 10 years ago in the forum, but when a forum software upgrade took place, many threads were lost - including that one. Therefore, I'll just mention what was discussed back then and the outcome of that discussion. I will not be able to participate in this discussion any further, but the info below was the outcome of that discussion regarding the question about the 5 stones:

Since it is not specified in scripture directly, we must look back at how David had prepared for things previously in his young life. He always had a staff with him for controlling and herding the sheep and for keeping predators away. Once he had the permission of the King to do battle with the giant, the King offered David his armor - which was way too large for David - but at least David tried to make additional preparations before the confrontation. (see 1 Samuel 17:32-14 for details). David was confident about being able to defeat the giant and God had his back, but the Israelites and David all knew that not only did Goliath have brothers, but there were many other giants from Gath that could possibly be involved in the battle. It is only logical conjecture, but that might possibly be why David took extra stones with him to use in the sling - if needed.

`

Because of a significant close-up reading vision issue, I usually do not get involved in open forum discussions. However, this same topic came up well over 10 years ago in the forum, but when a forum software upgrade took place, many threads were lost - including that one. Therefore, I'll just mention what was discussed back then and the outcome of that discussion. I will not be able to participate in this discussion any further, but the info below was the outcome of that discussion regarding the question about the 5 stones:

Since it is not specified in scripture directly, we must look back at how David had prepared for things previously in his young life. He always had a staff with him for controlling and herding the sheep and for keeping predators away. Once he had the permission of the King to do battle with the giant, the King offered David his armor - which was way too large for David - but at least David tried to make additional preparations before the confrontation. (see 1 Samuel 17:32-14 for details). David was confident about being able to defeat the giant and God had his back, but the Israelites and David all knew that not only did Goliath have brothers, but there were many other giants from Gath that could possibly be involved in the battle. It is only logical conjecture, but that might possibly be why David took extra stones with him to use in the sling - if needed.

`

Thank you for your contribution. I have always answered the question with "Because he knew he would need some ammo." But I have always wondered about the brothers.

This was not as unequal of a fight as many suppose.

God had been prepping David most of his life tending sheep and using a sling to guard them from predators. This equipped David to be used in this manner.

When it came down to it, God through David, turned the 'advantage' of Goliath into a liability.

Fighting up close would be fighting Goliath's strength. Using a distance method nullified most of Goliath's strengths, in fact his size made a large target to hit!

If were to generalize, I would say to develop our abilities as tools for the Lord, Look for ministry that maximizes our spiritual strengths and be ready for His return at the next blink of an eye while being prepared for a long life of service.

Never thought why he needed five stones, but then isnt it prudent to take extra anyway. I didnt recall that Goliath had four brothers.
Im sure I told this story in school but nobody has ever asked me why he took five stones.

Reading the story he had to run and get a sword to cut Goliaths head off. And the philistines fled also so it maybe they saw he had more stones and was going to use them to fight them too.

This is agood story which we want to know all of us as Christians, first all is that we as christains we are still with Goliath now, To days Goliath are:- Stress, Sickness, Poverty, e.t.c and to days stone is pray which is that you can"t pray once to all these Goliath.
Back to the Bible story, God have never spoken that David will kill Goliath and there was no hope so David to take one stone was like testing God. David was to be equip enough with his weapon (stones) b"se you don"t know he can kill Goliath and someone else comes against him.
God Bless You.

Thank you for your contribution. I have always answered the question with "Because he knew he would need some ammo." But I have always wondered about the brothers.

I believe you have hit upon the right answer. David did not doubt God and in fact believed Him to the highest degree.

Goliath had FOUR brothers. The law of ancient retribution said that if you kill my brother, I then have the right to kill you.

David had 5 stones....one for Goliath and four more, one for each brother in case he stepped out to make that claim.

God gave David exactly what he needed in order to be successful.

2 Samuel 21:21-22...………….
" And when yhe taunted Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimei, David’s brother, struck him down. These four were descended from the giants in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants. "

In the story of David and Goliath the question occasionally arises: "Why did David take five stones when he only needed one to kill Goliath?" The first time I was exposed to this story my teacher said it was because Goliath had four brothers. I can only find one in the bible, 1 Chronicles 20:5.

If you can offer anything on this topic I will appreciate it.
I think David had faith in God but he didnt have as much faith in his ability. He knew God would help him overcome Goliath, but he probably didnt know how many stones it would take. He must of had pretty good aim, and Goliath must of been pretty big, for him to only take 5 stones. Maybe that is all his "sling container" could carry, and he made sure that the container was full. That is just my opinion.

I think David had faith in God but he didnt have as much faith in his ability. He knew God would help him overcome Goliath, but he probably didnt know how many stones it would take. He must of had pretty good aim, and Goliath must of been pretty big, for him to only take 5 stones. Maybe that is all his "sling container" could carry, and he made sure that the container was full. That is just my opinion.
Faith was important in this story. It is also just as true that God had been preparing David his whole life for this battle.
David had honed his skill with a sling as a Shepard and in fact Goliath never had a chance. The David story, I think, in addition to ones faith, tells us that it is also good to develop skills and to master one’s abilities. To build real competence & confidence.

" And when he taunted Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimei, David’s brother, struck him down. These four were descended from the giants in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants. "

Last edited:
Faith was important in this story. It is also just as true that God had been preparing David his whole life for this battle.
David had honed his skill with a sling as a Shepard and in fact Goliath never had a chance. The David story, I think, in addition to ones faith, tells us that it is also good to develop skills and to master one’s abilities. To build real competence & confidence.

" And when he taunted Israel, Jonathan the son of Shimei, David’s brother, struck him down. These four were descended from the giants in Gath, and they fell by the hand of David and by the hand of his servants. "
Yes, faith was important and God Had been preparing David for this battle all his life.

But also notice that the battle was won by NOT letting the enemy dictate the kind of battle. Goliath wanted close in struggle. David negated all of Goliath's supposed advantages by exploiting Davids own skill (which was to stun at a distance before coming in for the finish).

We should look to fight the enemy in ways that exploit the advantages the Lord has built in us, while avoiding or minimizing the strengths of the enemy.

Yes, faith was important and God Had been preparing David for this battle all his life.

But also notice that the battle was won by NOT letting the enemy dictate the kind of battle. Goliath wanted close in struggle. David negated all of Goliath's supposed advantages by exploiting Davids own skill (which was to stun at a distance before coming in for the finish).

We should look to fight the enemy in ways that exploit the advantages the Lord has built in us, while avoiding or minimizing the strengths of the enemy.

Absolutely agreed!

Another thought is that we all have different weaknesses and Satan knows just the right thing to tempt us with.

People keep talking about faith as if faith = magic. Like if you have faith you don't live in reality any more. Faith = believing. One Greek word, pistis, is translated both ways. Believing is a natural ability; anybody can believe. And what you do is what you believe. I believe I'll have a beer. See how it works?

The Christian doctrine says pistis came by Jesus, so that establishes two contexts: before Jesus and after Jesus. So the English word 'faith' refers to a spiritually augmented ability to believe, but still in reality. Not magic. Christian faith was not available in the old testament, so it is misleading to speak of David having "faith". David took the challenge because he believed he could win, not because he "had faith". He believed that because of his training as a shepherd. Reality.

1 Samuel 17:23-24 King James Version (KJV)​

23 And as he talked with them, behold, there came up the champion, the Philistine of Gath, Goliath by name, out of the armies of the Philistines, and spake according to the same words: and David heard them.

24 And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were sore afraid.

David ran. Reality again. This was not David's war. He was only there to deliver some food.

1 Samuel 17:25-27 King James Version (KJV)​

25 And the men of Israel said, Have ye seen this man that is come up? surely to defy Israel is he come up: and it shall be, that the man who killeth him, the king will enrich him with great riches, and will give him his daughter, and make his father's house free in Israel.

26 And David spake to the men that stood by him, saying, What shall be done to the man that killeth this Philistine, and taketh away the reproach from Israel? for who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?

27 And the people answered him after this manner, saying, So shall it be done to the man that killeth him.

Ok, now there is a reason for David to get interested. That was when he made this his war. And he was not a stupid kid, he knew how to kill things and he stuck with what he knew. There is David's faith. There is his believing.

People keep talking about faith as if faith = magic. Like if you have faith you don't live in reality any more. Faith = believing. One Greek word, pistis, is translated both ways. Believing is a natural ability; anybody can believe. And what you do is what you believe. I believe I'll have a beer. See how it works?

The Christian doctrine says pistis came by Jesus, so that establishes two contexts: before Jesus and after Jesus. So the English word 'faith' refers to a spiritually augmented ability to believe, but still in reality. Not magic. Christian faith was not available in the old testament, so it is misleading to speak of David having "faith". David took the challenge because he believed he could win, not because he "had faith". He believed that because of his training as a shepherd. Reality.

1 Samuel 17:23-24 King James Version (KJV)​

23 And as he talked with them, behold, there came up the champion, the Philistine of Gath, Goliath by name, out of the armies of the Philistines, and spake according to the same words: and David heard them.

24 And all the men of Israel, when they saw the man, fled from him, and were sore afraid.

David ran. Reality again. This was not David's war. He was only there to deliver some food.

1 Samuel 17:25-27 King James Version (KJV)​

25 And the men of Israel said, Have ye seen this man that is come up? surely to defy Israel is he come up: and it shall be, that the man who killeth him, the king will enrich him with great riches, and will give him his daughter, and make his father's house free in Israel.

26 And David spake to the men that stood by him, saying, What shall be done to the man that killeth this Philistine, and taketh away the reproach from Israel? for who is this uncircumcised Philistine, that he should defy the armies of the living God?

27 And the people answered him after this manner, saying, So shall it be done to the man that killeth him.

Ok, now there is a reason for David to get interested. That was when he made this his war. And he was not a stupid kid, he knew how to kill things and he stuck with what he knew. There is David's faith. There is his believing.

I agree.

If you watch TV religious services that stem from a certain Denomination of faith.....they weld faith just as did Luke Skywalker in Star Wars.

Just have enough faith and your cancer will melt away.
Just have enough faith and God will give you that large screen TV.
Just have enough faith and God will give you that new car.
Just have enough faith and your "seed" offering and God will double it to you.

All of that is Not faith but instead it is Lets Make A Deal" which is not found in the Bible.

As for the opinion of...............
" Christian faith was not available in the old testament, so it is misleading to speak of David having "faith". David took the challenge because he believed he could win, not because he "had faith". He believed that because of his training as a shepherd. Reality."

That is a Yes and NO comment.

Galatians 3:11 ,,,,,,,,,,,,
" Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”

I must disagree completly with your comment.

There was NO "Christian" faith for the simple reason that Christian did not exist in the Old Test. Jesus Christ was the cornerstone of the "Christian" faith and Christianity began with His death---burial--and resurrection.

However there was indeed "Faith" in God. That is exactly how all the Old Test. saints were saved.

1 Samuel 17:45-46 ............
"Then said David to the Philistine, Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied. 46This day will the LORD deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel."

Romans 4:3...10-11...................
“For what does the Scripture say, ‘Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.’ …
How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them."

I would add here that actually, it took MORE FAITH in God in the Old Test. than it does today in the era of the church.

We have the complete Bible.
We have commentaries and books.
We have TV and radio.

WHat did those Old Test. saints have????? Not much at all did they?

Genesis 15:6.........which reveals that Abram (Abraham) “believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.”

Back