Bible Recommendations

With how hateful everyone is about it you would think that ever detail makes or breaks salvation.

Since I've been on this forum, I have engaged in debates with other Christians, but I don't think I've felt hatred towards them, and I don't think they've felt hatred towards me.

Of course that's just how I've perceived it, and you might perceive it differently. Now I'm curious.

If anyone is reading this that hates me, please pm me.

Exactly. I've never understood that. While it's something that the Pharisees really excelled at, I've yet to meet a Christian that actively attempted to emulate the Pharisees.

Since I've been on this forum, I have engaged in debates with other Christians, but I don't think I've felt hatred towards them, and I don't think they've felt hatred towards me.

Of course that's just how I've perceived it, and you might perceive it differently. Now I'm curious.

If anyone is reading this that hates me, please pm me.

You must be deleting mine without reading them or refusing to reply. I've sent you like 14 PM's :D:D:D. Let me send like 12 more just in case something is broken on the receiving end.

Phrase by phrase translations are always better then word by word translations. If you know which bibles are translated from the original manuscripts phrase by phrase then you know which is most accurate.

To be honest though, I don't find any major discrepancies between each version when it comes down to just sharing the gospel with someone.

There is a scripture in the bible where Paul talks about not using many words, but the power of the Holy Spirit working through him is what changes the heart.
That scripture alone is what made me reevaluate how I approach a non believer.
Okay, this has been bothering me. The reason I don't use a phrase by phrase bible for my main reason is because with a phrase by phrase bible the translators have a lot of room to change things to fit their beliefs. I'm not saying they change things intentionally but they are writing the phrase they believe fits what the verse means, which varies from person to person.
Literal translations, on the other hand say nearly the exact same thing for every verse. The ESV and NASB are so close that sometimes I can't tell the difference.

I'm not saying phrase by phrase is bad, but I would constantly be switching between phrase by phrase bibles to make sure I'm not only getting what the translators want me to get.

Also on that point, I believe that it's good to read from multiple different versions anyway. Sometimes just having one word changed can make a verse that meant nothing to you your favorite verse.

Okay, this has been bothering me. The reason I don't use a phrase by phrase bible for my main reason is because with a phrase by phrase bible the translators have a lot of room to change things to fit their beliefs. I'm not saying they change things intentionally but they are writing the phrase they believe fits what the verse means, which varies from person to person.
Literal translations, on the other hand say nearly the exact same thing for every verse. The ESV and NASB are so close that sometimes I can't tell the difference.

I'm not saying phrase by phrase is bad, but I would constantly be switching between phrase by phrase bibles to make sure I'm not only getting what the translators want me to get.

Also on that point, I believe that it's good to read from multiple different versions anyway. Sometimes just having one word changed can make a verse that meant nothing to you your favorite verse.

I've found, after seeing so many Google Bible Scholars, that the same errors creep in whether they are from the translators or the local scholar. The reality is that if your beliefs are tied to such a strict definition or interpretation of a single word or verse, then you have founded your beliefs in the wrong things. The other important thing to remember is that just because a word translates directly a certain way, doesn't mean that is what the word or phrase originally meant in the original language. There are a lot of cultural nuances to languages that are very tightly tied to the society that originally spoke that language. Just taking the word and finding out it's definition generally produces a very poor understanding of what the original verse was about.

Not that a phrase by phrase translation is beyond reproach. However, there is a vast difference between what makes a Bible good for reading and what makes one good for studying. I tend to find that when I really want to get to the heart of something, it pays to go over several version and compare them. When we take a single one and insist on that being the only that is true simply displays a bias in and of itself.

You guys know some countries only have 1 version of the bible. And some Christians in other countries only have a few torn pages from a bible. And for some reason, at least in my area, though we have the easiest access to many versions we have the least amount of faith. While the ones with the torn pages are ready to die for Christ, and are dying for Christ.

You guys know some countries only have 1 version of the bible. And some Christians in other countries only have a few torn pages from a bible. And for some reason, at least in my area, though we have the easiest access to many versions we have the least amount of faith. While the ones with the torn pages are ready to die for Christ, and are dying for Christ.

I don't really know what your point is here. Mind explaining why you posted this?

As for the literal translation versus dynamic equivalency, I still prefer literal translations. I want what I read to be as close to the original as possible. Sure, that means some things don't make as much sense but that's what studying is for.

Back