I use the foregoing guidelines to keep me focused on a subject and keep me within the context of scripture, and from perhaps going off on a tandem. They might be useful to someone.
Bible Study Guidelines
1. Speak where the Bible speaks; and be silent where the Bible is silent.
2. Call all Bible persons and things by their respective Bible names.
3. Consider that we live in two realms: the spiritual realm and the natural realm. The spiritual realm is manifest in the natural realm; and the natural realm attests to the spiritual realm.
4. All doctrine should be established by intention (life), context, and/or by the mouth of two witnesses or three.
5. The New Testament should not be interpreted in the light of the Old Testament; rather, the Old Testament should be interpreted in the light of the New Testament.