Bible Study Guidelines

I use the foregoing guidelines to keep me focused on a subject and keep me within the context of scripture, and from perhaps going off on a tandem. They might be useful to someone.

Bible Study Guidelines

1. Speak where the Bible speaks; and be silent where the Bible is silent.

2. Call all Bible persons and things by their respective Bible names.

3. Consider that we live in two realms: the spiritual realm and the natural realm. The spiritual realm is manifest in the natural realm; and the natural realm attests to the spiritual realm.

4. All doctrine should be established by intention (life), context, and/or by the mouth of two witnesses or three.

5. The New Testament should not be interpreted in the light of the Old Testament; rather, the Old Testament should be interpreted in the light of the New Testament.

A denominational Pastor and I met in an apartment building.
He asked if I had accepted Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior."
I responded that I had received Him.
He asked me what I believed in.
I told Him I believe in the gospel that saves.
He asked me what was my gospel.
I said that if we are to hold an edifying conversation, could I ask a few questions.
I proceeded to ask him if he believed, point by point, in the above guidelines.
He responded positively, and we had a wonderful fellowship!

interesting ..but I liked your post ..
however there are no real guidelines that can be applied (except for praying to God to lead you)..
because everything written is multi-tasked ..

there is a meant context in every verse ..
yet God has personal meanings in each verse as well ..
and the ones that apply to you, He will lead you to and speak to your heart ..

in other words, the meant context of a verse, may have special meaning to me on something relevant to my life ..

this is what many do not understand about God ..
He has answered all before it is asked ..

each verse in the bible does not deal with one thing, but many ..

there is a meant context in every verse ..
yet God has personal meanings in each verse as well ..
and the ones that apply to you, He will lead you to and speak to your heart ..

in other words, the meant context of a verse, may have special meaning to me on something relevant to my life ..

When salvation is "meant", it is to ALL who will believe and obey. Jude speaks of "...the common (one) salvation...that you should earnestly contend for the faith that was once delivered unto the saints." Jude's words agree with the Apostle Paul: "There is one body, and one Spirit, even as you are called into one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism."
Aside from the common calling of the Church, there is a personal calling and a personal faith: for not everyone has the same amount of faith, even as not everyone is called into the Ministry.

interesting ..but I liked your post ..
however there are no real guidelines that can be applied (except for praying to God to lead you)..
because everything written is multi-tasked ..

Beloved, there are real guidelines for those who are being called unto salvation. How can a person "pray for the Lord to lead you", if one doesn't know the Lord? Samuel was called of the Lord 3X's, until Eli discerned that it was the Lord calling Samuel, because "...Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the Word of the Lord yet revealed unto him."
We must be aware to whom we are speaking: whether to a child, a father, or a young man: each one according to his knowledge.

this is what many do not understand about God ..
He has answered all before it is asked ..

each verse in the bible does not deal with one thing, but many ..

that is correct: but understand that the message contained in each verse, however deep, is meant for good and not for evil. Each scripture will stand on it's own, but will not contradict sound doctrines.

Beloved, there are real guidelines for those who are being called unto salvation.

I thought we were talking about individual scripture verse meanings ..

How can a person "pray for the Lord to lead you", if one doesn't know the Lord?

easy .. it's called "the sinners prayer" .. I remember asking God into my life and to lead me, and I did this as a believer ..
do not all do this ???

you may know "of God", but you do not "know Him" until you create a relation with Him ..

Samuel was called of the Lord 3X's, until Eli discerned that it was the Lord calling Samuel, because "...Samuel did not yet know the Lord, neither was the Word of the Lord yet revealed unto him."
We must be aware to whom we are speaking: whether to a child, a father, or a young man: each one according to his knowledge.

but when God calls most, they do not recognize that call as "a call", but rather as a need in their hearts/lives they "feel" ..

BTW: that is an interesting take ..
I do not recognize people by their knowledge, but by their hearts ..

Last edited:
that is correct: but understand that the message contained in each verse, however deep, is meant for good and not for evil. Each scripture will stand on it's own, but will not contradict sound doctrines.

why would someone think God's word to "help us" is for evil ???
each verse in scripture, is confirmed by 2 or 3 other verses ..

BTW: that is an interesting take ..
I do not recognize people by their knowledge, but by their hearts ..

Mat 18:4 “Whoever then humbles himself as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

is not "innocence of trust and love" meant below ???

Mar 10:15 “Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all.

this is a good example of multitasking in verses for the thread ..
it also can be applied as "obedience to the Father" ..

this is why there are no guidelines (except continuity of scripture)
verses carry multi-meanings and God will speak to a persons heart with whichever meaning has relevance in your life ..

Last edited:
Indeed! This is the stuff doctrinal positions are made of...

I have seen that .. 2 or 3 scripture verses taken out of context to substantiate each other .. and ignoring a host of other verses which refute that doctrine .. also I have seen doctrine built upon a single verse .. I have even seen doctrine built on English words added by the translator not in the Greek ..

building/creating doctrine is building on the sand ..
what is, is already established as a clear foundation on the rock ..

Last edited:
Indeed! This is the stuff doctrinal positions are made of...

"Then the devil takes Him up into the holy city, and sets him on a pinnacle of the temple, and he said unto Him, 'If you are the son of God, Cast yourself down: for it is written, He shall give His angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear you up, lest at any time you dash your foot against a stone.' "
Indeed, God's word is not meant for evil, but the evil one would have us hurting ourselves and each other by getting us to misapply God's word.
I believe that you meant that each doctrine is established by two or three witnesses, and will not contradict other established doctrines. The Apostle Paul was establishing the gospel of the Lord again to the Galatians, by writing: "But though we, or an angel from heaven preach any other gospel to you than the one we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than the one you have received, let him be accursed."
It is interesting to note that the apostle uses the word "we" instead of "I". He is writing with the assent of other Brethren, and/or as a confirmation of other established doctrine.

Back