By His stripes we are healed

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems ideal to quote the line when praying for healing. But has the line got anything to do with bodily healing?

I do believe God heals. But don't believe we need / should use this scripture to support it. The verse is speaking of material matters. God bore our sins, we were dead to sins and are now alive. Adding something trivial like bodily healing does not fit, at all. ''God of the universe died for you and will revive all who were dead in their sins....and heal their toes''.

1 Pet 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Why are you limiting God? You got to have faith. Believe what the scripture says and your prayer will be answered.

Why are you limiting God? You got to have faith. Believe what the scripture says and your prayer will be answered.

What faith must I have exactly?

Faith that a God that I already believe created the universe, can heal my body?

Faith that reciting a certain scripture multiple times in my mind will cause my Father who I truly believe loves me, to jump and meet a need....... He was not meeting?

Yes! God is the same yesterday and today. He hears and answers all prayers. We may not get what we ask for all the time. But that's because either God thinks it's not the right time. Or, Whatever we request is not God's Will. Sometimes our doubts or unbeliefs hinders the blessings that God sends to us. God is still healing people today. Physically, not just spiritually. And yes we do need to use scripture to support it because there's so many people weak in the faith influenced by what the world tells them.

What faith must I have exactly?

Faith that a God that I already believe created the universe, can heal my body?

Faith that reciting a certain scripture multiple times in my mind will cause my Father who I truly believe loves me, to jump and meet a need....... He was not meeting?
Luke 17:6 NIV

He replied, “If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, ‘Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it will obey you.

Matthew 21:21-22 NIV

Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Mark 5:21-43 NIV

When Jesus had again crossed over by boat to the other side of the lake, a large crowd gathered around him while he was by the lake. Then one of the synagogue leaders, named Jairus, came, and when he saw Jesus, he fell at his feet. He pleaded earnestly with him, “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.” So Jesus went with him. A large crowd followed and pressed around him. And a woman was there who had been subject to bleeding for twelve years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, because she thought, “If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.” Immediately her bleeding stopped and she felt in her body that she was freed from her suffering. At once Jesus realized that power had gone out from him. He turned around in the crowd and asked, “Who touched my clothes?” “You see the people crowding against you,” his disciples answered, “and yet you can ask, ‘Who touched me?’ ” But Jesus kept looking around to see who had done it. Then the woman, knowing what had happened to her, came and fell at his feet and, trembling with fear, told him the whole truth. He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering.” While Jesus was still speaking, some people came from the house of Jairus, the synagogue leader. “Your daughter is dead,” they said. “Why bother the teacher anymore?” Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.” He did not let anyone follow him except Peter, James and John the brother of James. When they came to the home of the synagogue leader, Jesus saw a commotion, with people crying and wailing loudly. He went in and said to them, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” But they laughed at him. After he put them all out, he took the child’s father and mother and the disciples who were with him, and went in where the child was. He took her by the hand and said to her, “Talitha koum!” (which means “Little girl, I say to you, get up!” ). Immediately the girl stood up and began to walk around (she was twelve years old). At this they were completely astonished. He gave strict orders not to let anyone know about this, and told them to give her something to eat.

Mark 11:22-25 NIV

“Have faith in God,” Jesus answered. “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. ”

Hebrews 11:1-40 NIV

Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead. By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.” For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith. By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God. And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise. And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore. All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance, admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth. People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. If they had been thinking of the country they had left, they would have had opportunity to return. Instead, they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. By faith Abraham, when God tested him, offered Isaac as a sacrifice. He who had embraced the promises was about to sacrifice his one and only son, even though God had said to him, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” Abraham reasoned that God could even raise the dead, and so in a manner of speaking he did receive Isaac back from death. By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau in regard to their future. By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff. By faith Joseph, when his end was near, spoke about the exodus of the Israelites from Egypt and gave instructions concerning the burial of his bones. By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict. By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward. By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw him who is invisible. By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyer of the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel. By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned. By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the army had marched around them for seven days. By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient. And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson and Jephthah, about David and Samuel and the prophets, who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength; and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies. Women received back their dead, raised to life again. There were others who were tortured, refusing to be released so that they might gain an even better resurrection. Some faced jeers and flogging, and even chains and imprisonment. They were put to death by stoning; they were sawed in two; they were killed by the sword. They went about in sheepskins and goatskins, destitute, persecuted and mistreated— the world was not worthy of them. They wandered in deserts and mountains, living in caves and in holes in the ground. These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised, since God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.

Last edited:
On the contrary I believe it is so entrenched in His will for us that we need not even ask for it. When holding to ''by His stripes we are healed'' we are forcing our will / overriding His / showing a lack of faith in His will for us. Don't you see the irony?

If we can't say Lord please help me with healing and if its they will let me be healed = good kid.
Lord I claim 1 Pet 2:24 whether it is your will or not for me to be sick = disrespectful kid.

It has nothing to do with our will apart from us agreeing with God that it is His will that we be well and whole.

The irony is in those who claim Jesus is Lord and read the word where God says that He heals all our diseases according to His name, Jehovah Rapha (The Lord Who Heals), and because of the fact that He died bearing our diseases on His body, and then turn around and claim that sickness and disease is His will.

We don't have to beg God and plead for healing, when we have the very promise of it in our born again spirits already---all we need to do is appropriate it. Claiming the way you suggest is a declaration of doubt. Doubt doesn't get healing.

The irony is in those who claim Jesus is Lord and read the word where God says that He heals all our diseases according to His name, Jehovah Rapha (The Lord Who Heals), and because of the fact that He died bearing our diseases on His body, and then turn around and claim that sickness and disease is His will.

I am not saying sickness and disease is His will. I am saying it can be His will. This flesh is temporal. The only guarantee is spiritual healing.

Does it not take more faith to serve God when sick? Serving God if only healed and prosperous is surely far less then a mustard seed?

But anyways. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what this extra faith we need for healing is. I already believe that a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is God, that He died for me and will keep me for eternity. Do I need more faith in God? Is believing God can heal me > believing Jesus is God?

I must muster up more faith, when faith of a mustard seed can move a mountain?

Last edited:
This may have been brought up, but this reminds me of Mark 2 when the paralytic man came to Jesus to be healed, and the more miraculous (and first) thing Christ did was forgive him of his sins.

1. Yes! God is the same yesterday and today. 2. He hears and answers all prayers. 3. We may not get what we ask for all the time. 4. But that's because either God thinks it's not the right time. Or, Whatever we request is not God's Will. Sometimes our doubts or unbeliefs hinders the blessings that God sends to us. 5. God is still healing people today. Physically, not just spiritually. 6. And yes we do need to use scripture to support it because there's so many people weak in the faith influenced by what the world tells them.
1. Amen
2. No He doesn't John 9:31.
3. You are not differentiating needs and wants. They are very different issues. We should not need to ask for needs. Please read the other posts in this thread from me on this.
4. Amen. God sees the full picture. We get tunnel vision.
5. Amen. But clearly not all physical. Not all who are Christian are healed. Now if ''healed by His stripes'' is an absolute on sin, why is it not an absolute on healing?
6. Weak in what faith? People are weak in their faith in Jesus. Not weak in faith that a God who created me can fix my leg. I don't think God would consider it a falling away if everyone suddenly stopped believing He could heal them. Faith less then a mustard seed VS Faith of mountain.

1. Amen
2. No He doesn't John 9:31.
3. You are not differentiating needs and wants. They are very different issues. We should not need to ask for needs. Please read the other posts in this thread from me on this.
4. Amen. God sees the full picture. We get tunnel vision.
5. Amen. But clearly not all physical. Not all who are Christian are healed. Now if ''healed by His stripes'' is an absolute on sin, why is it not an absolute on healing?
6. Weak in what faith? People are weak in their faith in Jesus. Not weak in faith that a God who created me can fix my leg. I don't think God would consider it a falling away if everyone suddenly stopped believing He could heal them. Faith less then a mustard seed VS Faith of mountain.
Who are you to say we shouldn't ask God our needs? Prayer is talking to God like a friend or Father, a personal relationship. Why wouldn't you want to come to Him for your needs like your earthly friend or father? Just because you choose not to do so, it doesn't mean everyone else has to stop because you say so.

It seems ideal to quote the line when praying for healing. But has the line got anything to do with bodily healing?

I do believe God heals. But don't believe we need / should use this scripture to support it. The verse is speaking of material matters. God bore our sins, we were dead to sins and are now alive. Adding something trivial like bodily healing does not fit, at all. ''God of the universe died for you and will revive all who were dead in their sins....and heal their toes''.

1 Pet 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Isaiah 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

KingJ.......There is an unfortunate misreading of the obvious intention of both these texts by certain denominations that wants to ADD to what the words actually do say. The entire text comes from the context of SIN and deals with our problem of our TRANSGRESSIONS & INIQUITIES. The means of our peace is that we may be healed of those sins spiritually.

Because of the context of the verses the word HEALED indicates a condition of being made whole spiritually. I would add that while God may choose to grant physical healing to us because He is God, He is under no obligation to do so based on these verses which simply do not say what some want them to say.

Who are you to say we shouldn't ask God our needs? Prayer is talking to God like a friend or Father, a personal relationship. Why wouldn't you want to come to Him for your needs like your earthly friend or father? Just because you choose not to do so, it doesn't mean everyone else has to stop because you say so.
There is a difference between 'not needing to ask' VS not asking'.

Now on needs. People here are suggesting we need to ask God for healing and believe it or else we do not get it. Do you agree or disagree with that...iro needs? Consider:

1. Do your kids need to ask you for medical attention if they sick?
2. If your kid is not confident when they ask you for medical help, you will not help them?
3. Does your kid have to know and quote your 'written will' before you will help them with medicine?

Please for ease of discussion simply reply with a yes or no.

1. Amen

Yep. You're stearing in the right direction that some people are weak in their faith in Jesus. But you missed the connection afterwards. You see...You have to believe that Jesus is God, repent of all your sins, be forgiven, and be born again before you can ever have a personal relationship with Him. I hear people doubting and saying where is God. He's never answered their prayers. You ask them deeply about their personal relationship with God. And they doubt Jesus being the only true God, and so forth. Some say he's a prophet or just a good man, who thought he was a god and now is dead. BINGO!!! That's why many prayers go unanswered. Coming from people like that who treat God and His Word like a book of spells or something worse.

KingJ.......There is an unfortunate misreading of the obvious intention of both these texts by certain denominations that wants to ADD to what the words actually do say. The entire text comes from the context of SIN and deals with our problem of our TRANSGRESSIONS & INIQUITIES. The means of our peace is that we may be healed of those sins spiritually.

Because of the context of the verses the word HEALED indicates a condition of being made whole spiritually. I would add that while God may choose to grant physical healing to us because He is God, He is under no obligation to do so based on these verses which simply do not say what some want them to say.
Agreed!

The statement ''by His stripes we are healed'' is an 'absolute' statement. We are absolutely clean of sin from His stripes / when in Christ. So if it relates to bodily healing, then why is bodily healing not an equal 'absolute'. :whistle:

Yep. You're stearing in the right direction that some people are weak in their faith in Jesus. But you missed the connection afterwards. You see...You have to believe that Jesus is God, repent of all your sins, be forgiven, and be born again before you can ever have a personal relationship with Him. I hear people doubting and saying where is God. He's never answered their prayers. You ask them deeply about their personal relationship with God. And they doubt Jesus being the only true God, and so forth. Some say he's a prophet or just a good man, who thought he was a god and now is dead. BINGO!!! That's why many prayers go unanswered. Coming from people like that who treat God and His Word like a book of spells or something worse.
Amen.

This may have been brought up, but this reminds me of Mark 2 when the paralytic man came to Jesus to be healed, and the more miraculous (and first) thing Christ did was forgive him of his sins.
That's a good example. I actually wasn't aware of that. Maybe when I was in my twenties ^^.

Agreed!

The statement ''by His stripes we are healed'' is an 'absolute' statement. We are absolutely clean of sin from His stripes / when in Christ. So if it relates to bodily healing, then why is bodily healing not an equal 'absolute'. :whistle:

King......I think you already know that there are some people who are so entrenched in their personal and denominational theologies they simply can not see and grasp the simpleness of the Word of God. The Word SAYS exactly what it says but MAN in his desire to understand what HE wants it to say must add his meaning and his clarity when NONE is needed.

Isaiah was very clear IMO. It is absolutely obvious that Isaiah was giving us the doctrine of Substitutionary Atonement. Christ dies to pay the penalty for OUR sins and transgressions. Christ suffered the guilt of our sins and born the punishment that was due to us because of those SINS.

The idea of PHYSICAL healing simply is not there!!!!

I am not saying sickness and disease is His will. I am saying it can be His will. This flesh is temporal. The only guarantee is spiritual healing.

Does it not take more faith to serve God when sick? Serving God if only healed and prosperous is surely far less then a mustard seed?

But anyways. I am still waiting for someone to explain to me what this extra faith we need for healing is. I already believe that a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is God, that He died for me and will keep me for eternity. Do I need more faith in God? Is believing God can heal me > believing Jesus is God?

I must muster up more faith, when faith of a mustard seed can move a mountain?

Have you ever needed to move a mountain?

Well who is saved and who is not is another issue. I am referring to those who love Jesus holding onto something trivial and those who love Jesus not really caring about the significance of holding onto a scripture that says He can heal / they take it as a given / non issue.
Does it really bother your nerves that a believer would pray to God about his or her needs? I mean...There's nothing in the bible that says God will send us to hell if we present our problems to Him. To answer your question would my child have to tell me that he's sick? No, if course not. But I guarantee my child will tell me any how. Because he is my child and I love him, therefore he won't have any fears in approaching me. Because I won't rebuke him for telling me he's sick in the first place. Here's a question with a question: Again..,Who are you to tell people NOT to pray to God about our needs? Now it's sounding like you're trying to speak for God and trying to get everybody stop praying to Him.

Does it really bother your nerves that a believer would pray to God about his or her needs? I mean...There's nothing in the bible that says God will send us to hell if we present our problems to Him. To answer your question would my child have to tell me that he's sick? No, if course not. But I guarantee my child will tell me any how. Because he is my child and I love him, therefore he won't have any fears in approaching me. Because I won't rebuke him for telling me he's sick in the first place. Here's a question with a question: Again..,Who are you to tell people NOT to pray to God about our needs? Now it's sounding like you're trying to speak for God and trying to get everybody stop praying to Him.

He can of course speak for himself as he is a big boy now.....but I have to say that I do not see KingJ trying to do that at all.

There is a difference between 'not needing to ask' VS not asking'.

I understand my brother as saying that "everything" does not to be prayed for!

If you come upon a person laying in the street bleeding, Prayer is NOT needed. A bandage and a phone call is required but prayer is not needed as you already know what it is you need to do for that person.

A person comes to you with a child and neither one of them have eaten a meal and both are hungry. Do you take them to get a burger or pray that someone will come along and do the will of God. YOU are in place to do the will of God.........why do you need to ask if it is the will of God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back