Charity / Good works

We all agree that salvation is achieved only through the blood of Christ, not good works.

Without accepting Christ, not even the greatest philanthropist in the world could be saved.

Good works are, however, extremely important and I'd like to share two or three notes on the subject:

1. Olga's journey to the gates of hell

As you all know, the subject of hell fascinates me and I believe in a literal hell of fire and brimstone. One of the most extraordinary testimonies of hell is the story of Olga, a 19 y.o. girl from Russia. She was able to talk to eight condemned souls and one of them revealed that no good deeds will get you to hell.

You can read the complete testimony here: repentnow.com/olga.htm

2. Do it the right way!

Be humble and do it to please the Lord, not to be praised by others.

I was a bit surprised to find out how strict and severe the Bible is in this matter. According to Matthew 6, 1 'then you will have no reward from your Father who is in Heaven'.

So, keep quiet about it and, if possible, don't tell anyone about your good deeds or these may be useless in the eyes of the Lord.

Yes we are not to let the left hand know what the right is doing.
Those that boast of their good works are not motivated by love.

Not to sound negative, but I think Bible is quite clear that no works can save a person. I don't think we need someone to visit hell to confirm that. Scripture states that black and white. As James wrote, works are the evidence of saving faith. If we cannot show our works, then we have to inspect to see if our faith is a dead faith.

I have to admit, I had only gotten as far as Admonition to Youth when I posted. Big ooops. The women wearing pants walking to hell should have been a big red flag. When Dante wrote the Inferno - guess where he put his enemies? Hell. I don't think anyone is going to hell for wearing make up, jewelry, or pants. I was watching on youtube another young gal who went to heaven and hell as well with similar type remarks - very conservative dogma. Still it's worth reading just to pick off what contradicts scripture. Plainly a "grab for attention" in the holier than thou category. Rofl, she was ok in Russia but America she fell off the path. Do 19 year olds think like this? A really good read for visits to hell is the book "Beyond the Darkness" by Angie Fenimore. What interested me about Olga was her claim that God would take the HS away from believers.

Dogma of men put men in hell. If you read the entire 66 books of the Bible you cannot but see the freedom in Christ for those that believe. The Law was never supposed to be accepted, but only God's grace. Reread Exodus 19! I mean verses 5 and 6 is the same language to Christians, Titus 2:14, 1 Peter 2:9! But in pure unadulterated arrogance Israel replied in Exo 19:8 that everything God said they could do... as Moses left to get it in writing (literally) having heard all the Law (through chapter 31) they immediately broke the first commandment and made a molten calf (Exodus 32). So they suffered 1500 years under the rule of an unpardonable Law system which no man save One could keep. God was trying to give them grace but because they said they could be perfect God had to prove them wrong and gave them the Law. NO MAN, save Jesus, CAN KEEP THE LAW! Only through the Holy Spirit and the obedient servant can one live as God intended, just as Jesus paved the way.

It seems to me that everyone who was in a comma wants to write a book on hell these days.

Well, I was in one for about an hour!!! and guess what.... I saw and recall absolutely nothing. So I conclude that since God is impartial (no favoritism) Acts 10:34 that there is no hell. I didn't write a book because my hunch tells me I won't sell any copies.

I must laugh at the one my wife was reading. '''Jesus took me through hell''' :eek::D:D. If Jesus / God took anyone through hell... the demons would be nowhere to be seen and all those suffering would be yelling out to Jesus and Jesus would be crying for them and wanting to reach out to them....because He loves them...even the worst of them Matt 5:44.

I have to admit, I had only gotten as far as Admonition to Youth when I posted. Big ooops. ...

I don't remember the passages you mention but sexual morality, incl. dressing modestly, is extremely important. It may seem archaic and most people today may laugh but in the end they won't.

Trying to put aside the disagreement on faith alone vs. faith and works (I'm not indifferent on this), there really is no argument that we are saved by grace. Our original sin being washed clean through Christ is the whole point.

That said, what we do after our repentance will always be very important. Our mission does continue. We do have to live by the commandments of God. We do have to love our neighbors and our enemies alike. We do have to reject sin, even though we know we will sin from time to time. And what we do really must be fueled by our faith -- there is really very little to no point in doing anything good at all if it isn't because of what we believe.

I have to admit, I had only gotten as far as Admonition to Youth when I posted. Big ooops. The women wearing pants walking to hell should have been a big red flag. When Dante wrote the Inferno - guess where he put his enemies? Hell. I don't think anyone is going to hell for wearing make up, jewelry, or pants. I was watching on youtube another young gal who went to heaven and hell as well with similar type remarks - very conservative dogma. Still it's worth reading just to pick off what contradicts scripture. Plainly a "grab for attention" in the holier than thou category. Rofl, she was ok in Russia but America she fell off the path. Do 19 year olds think like this? A really good read for visits to hell is the book "Beyond the Darkness" by Angie Fenimore. What interested me about Olga was her claim that God would take the HS away from believers.

For me,
I tend to be very careful what I read these day. There are so many so called trips to hell or Heaven and dreams from God that simply do not line up with the word. God showed me some time back not too long ago that if even if I do not believe what they are saying but have to be curious to know just because I want to know. Well I risk unrighteous seeds getting in there and worming around and then have to get them dug out.....A lot of wasted time.

I'm not even going to bother addressing the hell subject, but the problem with this line of thinking is that people often conflate the idea that "good works won't achieve salvation" to "don't bother doing any good works at all". Then you end up with a bunch of Christians who further tarnish the message of Christ because they take on a self-serving worldview. That's exactly the opposite of what Christ and the Apostles did.

As followers of Christ we need more than ever to participate in his redemption plan for the world. Rejecting oppression, subjugation, exploitation and injustice wherever it is - whether it's against mankind or the earth. God's redeeming everything through Christ's resurrection and we're invited to be a part of that fantastic drama that's unfolding.

I'm not even going to bother addressing the hell subject, but the problem with this line of thinking is that people often conflate the idea that "good works won't achieve salvation" to "don't bother doing any good works at all". Then you end up with a bunch of Christians who further tarnish the message of Christ because they take on a self-serving worldview. That's exactly the opposite of what Christ and the Apostles did.

As followers of Christ we need more than ever to participate in his redemption plan for the world. Rejecting oppression, subjugation, exploitation and injustice wherever it is - whether it's against mankind or the earth. God's redeeming everything through Christ's resurrection and we're invited to be a part of that fantastic drama that's unfolding.

We are saved by grace not by works agreed ........... But faith will bring forth good works. I was taught works that originate with God are good works. Jesus said we will know His voice, as spirit filled Christians we are to follow the prompting of Holy Spirit who leads us in all truth. We must know His voice! I think in Christendom there is a drawing away from personal relationship and being lead by people to believe 2 hours on Sunday covers their relationship with God. Rather than being taught to seek God out yourself.
You are only a prayer away
You wake with me in the morning
You protect me throughout my day
You comfort me when I am sleeping
You wipe my fears away
You fill my dreams with Your love
You hear all the words I say
You paved my way to eternity
You are only a prayer away

2Co 10:17 "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."
2Co 10:18 For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends.

Even Jesus did not commend himself, he left that to his Father.

Pro 27:2 Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

I guess that is what the "like" button is for!
Ever notice you can not "like" your own post? :)

Last edited:
There are many things that seem to be inconsistencies. We are saved by faith, not by works; but faith without works is dead.
All sin separates the sinner from God, and thus there is no small sin, but many places the Bible singles out a particular sin because we singly and collectively manifest that problem.

We are not to aggrandize ourselves, but it is hard to be a good example or influence if we hide our light under a bushel.

These examples demonstrate that while each and every verse is profitable for teaching and reproof, etc. Citing single verse, or passage or several such and stating with finality that an issue is settled is a dangerous practice.

Many years ago (early 1970's), I can!e to the realization that if God's word always had clear and straightforward unequivocal answers, we would forget to go to God with out concerns, or look to Him for guidance with his word.

There are many things that seem to be inconsistencies. We are saved by faith, not by works; but faith without works is dead.
All sin separates the sinner from God, and thus there is no small sin, but many places the Bible singles out a particular sin because we singly and collectively manifest that problem.

We are not to aggrandize ourselves, but it is hard to be a good example or influence if we hide our light under a bushel.

These examples demonstrate that while each and every verse is profitable for teaching and reproof, etc. Citing single verse, or passage or several such and stating with finality that an issue is settled is a dangerous practice.

Many years ago (early 1970's), I can!e to the realization that if God's word always had clear and straightforward unequivocal answers, we would forget to go to God with out concerns, or look to Him for guidance with his word.

Brother we are not save by "faith". We save by "grace" through faith. There is big difference as faith always has works associated to it, and grace does not.
We are saved by the mercy and grace of God. Where faith comes in is if we want to "access" this salvation which was given to us by "grace", then that requires faith. Faith is a "key" that allows us to get salvation that God gave to us strictly by his grace. This is very important to understand or we will think that it is by our faith and actions we are getting salvation which is not true.

As for the Word of God, and each scripture in the Bible, the Word does us no good until we "know" it, then it set us free. The word "know" means, "to have an intimate relationship with." The same intimate relationship that Adam had with Eve when Adam "knew" Eve and she bare him a son. The word by it self needs it's voice which only God the Father can give to us. Without his fellowship we will not receive what the scripture tell us.

Back