Christian musicians becomes atheist

um. People not reading their Bibles again.
The lion prevailed to open the book and let loose the seals.
But only the LAMB is worthy to unseal the book. He took it from the LION (i.e. Satan, who is the god of this world) and defeated the enemy.
I have never heard of Jesus being referred to as the 'lion'. How stupid is that. Sorry. I think ppl read too much CS Lewis and not enough Holy Bible. How can they miss such an important verse which is right there beneath. As well as Peter's letter. IDK.

Lanolin, I used C.S. Lewis as an example of someone wh0 portrayed Christ in an allegory based on Biblical references -- not arbitrarily.

I don't mind if you have reservations against certain things, but it's a bad idea to cherry-pick Scripture in order to justify reasoning. I'm not making a total claim that that's what you're doing, but it is coming off like that. If this is about a song that some band made, based on their lyrics and message behind it, we have reason to suggest they pointed to one selection of Scripture than another.

We ought to remember that there is really no such thing as "Christian music." An inanimate thing cannot be Christian in itself. I'm a Christian and I'm eating lunch right now, but it doesn't mean that I'm having a "Christian lunch."

But I understand that Christian music means "music with Christian lyrics." The style of music (the music itself) cannot be Christian. Granted, I do not think that music that has a modernist sound belongs in the liturgy, but that's for sacramental reasons, not taste.
Music is music. We may call one type 'Christian' or proper music for worship. But as with many things it's all in the ear of the beholder.

If God is honored in what we play or sing, He will accept it and our worship.

I remember a story about how a new and different type of music was considered blasphemous because of the instrument it was played on. That instrument ...

... the pipe organ.

Karen Carpenter (like an angel!) Carpenters music...anything carpenters

I was just listening to the Carpenters during my morning commute. A lot of people around my generation thought 70's music was mostly either disco, R&B, or classic rock...but the heavy hitters of that era were your Karen Carpenters, your Debbie Boones, your Toni Tennilles, your Barry Manilows, etc.

I agree that rock music doesn't belong in church worship, music itself, as a whole, is subjective. It's based on taste generally speaking.
I would not be so quick to dismiss rock music. Listen to 'It Is Finished' by Petra or their 'Adonai' and see if you aren't cranking up the volume.

Music is music. We may call one type 'Christian' or proper music for worship. But as with many things it's all in the ear of the beholder.

If God is honored in what we play or sing, He will accept it and our worship.

I remember a story about how a new and different type of music was considered blasphemous because of the instrument it was played on. That instrument ...

... the pipe organ.

I'll have to check that out about the pipe organ. Thanks for the info!

I would not be so quick to dismiss rock music. Listen to 'It Is Finished' by Petra or their 'Adonai' and see if you aren't cranking up the volume.

I do know those songs, as someone who used to love Petra as a kid.

It's not about rock music itself (I'm an avid rock fan), but rather how music is conducted in worship. When it becomes style over substance, entertainment over reverence, etc.

I know this is something that many of us here will disagree on -- and not even based on denomination entirely since this does really expand larger than that.

This is definitely interesting though. I had this conversation with my parents two weeks ago actually when I was visiting them for dinner. We talked about music used in worship. They were previously attending a Southern Baptist church which played old revival southern music. They now attend a small non-denom church which plays your standards like "Lord, I lift your name on high," "Seek ye first," "Our God is an Awesome God," etc.

They asked me about Gregorian chant, why the Catholic Church regards drums or electric guitar used in the mass to be a liturgical abuse, etc. It was a wonderful conversation.

They asked me about Gregorian chant, why the Catholic Church regards drums or electric guitar used in the mass to be a liturgical abuse, etc. It was a wonderful conversation.
Gregorian chant is some of the most beautiful music ever written. The simple, flowing lines carry the listener.

My ideal 'instrument' is a choir of 8 mixed voices.

um. People not reading their Bibles again.
The lion prevailed to open the book and let loose the seals.
But only the LAMB is worthy to unseal the book. He took it from the LION (i.e. Satan, who is the god of this world) and defeated the enemy.
I have never heard of Jesus being referred to as the 'lion'. How stupid is that. Sorry. I think ppl read too much CS Lewis and not enough Holy Bible. How can they miss such an important verse which is right there beneath. As well as Peter's letter. IDK.
You need to read, and believe the word of God. Satan is not from the tribe of Judah, Jesus is. Jesus is the Root of David. Jesus prevailed. You madam are misreading the chapter to call the Lion of the tribe of Judah, Satan!!

Psa_33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psa_98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psa_150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

As for me I like not only to hear the music, but I like to feel it too. Crank it up, and don't be ashamed to make it known to all!!

Psa_33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psa_98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.

Psa_150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

As for me I like not only to hear the music, but I like to feel it too. Crank it up, and don't be ashamed to make it known to all!!
Some good verses there thanks for that.
But as for feeling music...I assume you mean base that is so loud that the vibes are physically felt long after the auditory nerves have quite through overload?

As for some of the err ahh....... music being played up here in oz, I'm thinking of buying a black silk hat that I can hold against my wait as I look despondently at the floor. It is getting harder all the time to figure out if I'm at a worship service or a funeral. Too many people with zero music skills writing stuff and peddling it as songs of praise.

As for some of the err ahh....... music being played up here in oz, I'm thinking of buying a black silk hat that I can hold against my wait as I look despondently at the floor. It is getting harder all the time to figure out if I'm at a worship service or a funeral. Too many people with zero music skills writing stuff and peddling it as songs of praise.

Ha ha, yeah. Sometimes it's like we somehow think that only solemn piousness = sincere worship. I grew up with lively bluegrass/folk type music in my home, and when my parents became Christians, they continued playing the same style of music, they just found and wrote songs to God instead. I've been to some churches that really knew how to rock out with a banjo and fiddle. To them, that was profound worship. It wasn't solemn, but it was reverent in the sense that it reflected the joy they felt as creatures made new in Christ.

After living in Aus for several years now (some of that time as a worship leader trying to encourage a little liveliness), I think you're right, Aussie church culture tends to miss out on Christianity's spirit of joy and celebration.

Last edited:
My question is: were they actually Christians. After the "1-2-3 pay after me" movement there are a lot of stillborns.

Back