Christian musicians becomes atheist

My question is: were they actually Christians. After the "1-2-3 pay after me" movement there are a lot of stillborns.

That is a very, very good way of putting it.
In defense of the Newsboys, dollars to donuts that their Christian faith is genuine. I only base it on their interviews and live shows. I don't know any of them personally, and I myself have never been to a Newsboys show, but a few old friends were avid friends and have. They were very serious about prayer and preaching the gospel between sets with the crowd.

Is it possible that it was all a front? Of course. They wouldn't be the first so-called Christian band do this. They've been around for about 20 years and consistently stuck to this theme of preaching. I don't have any reason to believe they're frauds, so for now, I can only take their word for it.

Many people who seemed totally involved in their faith can do a 180 and reject God--at least in motions. The famous controversial, yelling comedian from the 1980s, Sam Kinison, was a pretty serious pentecostal preacher (so it seemed) who changed and became a very aggressively, blaspheming, comedian that encouraged vices.

1 Chronicles 16:42 (KJV)
And with them Heman and Jeduthun with trumpets and cymbals for those that should make a sound, and with musical instruments of God. And the sons of Jeduthun were porters.
Music is beautiful mostly, however some can be sinful. It's down to artists to make the decision which path they take. :whistle:

I dont know much about newsboys myself but from the article it seems it was an early member and just one of them. So the rest may have been christian but he wasnt and just went along dor the ride making merchandise of the gospel. Which doesnt surprise me at all, sadly. Jude warned ppl about this in his letter.

Another one who made a huge song and dance about being a christian and then turned 180 was famous vampire author Anne Rice. Although she was involved in the catholic church...so I expect she was confused.

When I was growing up my christian high school friends always talked about newsboys but even back then I just thought they were pop idols for christians. One invited me to this christian music festival called parachute and I absolutely hated it. I was womdering why they werent singing hymns or gospel it was just worldly music but with christian sounding lyrics..it was awful. It was supposed to be for young ppl and even though I was young too it just seemed off to me, like they were trying to be like the world but I had already lived in the world and if it nearly killed me why are these christians trying to imitate it??????

With anne rice i understand she was brought up catholic and thus turned to it as a religion she didnt have any personal relationship or encounter with Jesus Christ only the catholic form in a wafer. PLEASE I do not mean to offend those of the catholic persuasion.
Ms Rice then turned aganst this form of christianity because the church disapproved of homosexuality and her sons are practising. Or something confusing like that.
In any case she is now claiming she is done with 'christianity' not claiming out and out atheism but I know many are just rallying against organized religion nobody can actually claim true atheism cos doesnt exist. They just in denial.
We christians know that on judgement day everyone will know there is a God. They just refuse to believe in Him now.

With anne rice i understand she was brought up catholic and thus turned to it as a religion she didnt have any personal relationship or encounter with Jesus Christ only the catholic form in a wafer. PLEASE I do not mean to offend those of the catholic persuasion.
Ms Rice then turned aganst this form of christianity because the church disapproved of homosexuality and her sons are practising. Or something confusing like that.
In any case she is now claiming she is done with 'christianity' not claiming out and out atheism but I know many are just rallying against organized religion nobody can actually claim true atheism cos doesnt exist. They just in denial.
We christians know that on judgement day everyone will know there is a God. They just refuse to believe in Him now.

It's alright, Lanolin.
In your defense, one of the things many people within the Catholic Church are trying to re-address is number of Catholics who lack the personal relationship. The Eucharist (in form of a wafer) is celebrated in communion and in adoration, but with the sole purpose of growing a relationship with Him. Many Catholics don't get that, and Anne Rice (my wife used to be a fan of hers a long time ago), most likely never got a good catechesis. Many Christians don't.

I don't even know this guy. But I think it is important to pay attention to this kind of news. Important reminder for us on what we are looking at. The talent of the person or the fruits they bear? There is one interesting comment in the article. Another musician who turned to atheism claims, only 1 out of 10 Christian musicians are genuinely Christians. Something to pray about I guess.

http://www.charismanews.com/opinion...der-denounces-christianity-i-m-now-an-atheist

That is what happens when a person decides to do things on their own and try to get God to bless them. All the musicians that I have read about that God has truly used and blessed all have one thing in common. God pulled them out from their music and wortked in them for a season or two and then blessed their music. Another words - God pulled them aside - they stopped playing - God did a work within them - God released them with DIRECTION in which way to go.

It is the same way with ministries - people think it sounds good so it has to be God. Wrong !
People see a need and think well it must be God for I can set up shop and meet this need. Wrong again.

We have men who have been called to preach who work in retail and and men preaching wehgo were called to work in retail. It is not our choice - it is and always be the will of God and His plan for your life.

God Bless
Jim

I dont know about the catechism part of being a catholic but i never had anything like that, just read the bible. Non catholics dont get taught any kind of church catechism.
Im sure if ms rice prayed and read the bible God would show her the true meaning of it and she would start to see that we not meant to worship a wafer.

There seems to be professedly Christian musicians who do a 180, but then there're also musicians who go the opposite way and find God, sometimes late in their careers. There is a bit of scepticism about that, I've noticed. I'd never listened to Christian music (apart from hymns) until very recently, but I bought a couple of albums, some of Johnny Cash and George Jones's Christian stuff, I listen to it in the car on the way to and from work. I like the music, the George Jones stuff is catchy, like 'Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown'. Folk say that Jones is a hypocrite, and they question the genuineness of his conversion because making gospel music is undoubtedly a good way to make a fast buck, particularly in the US. I don't know. I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he started off in a cynical way and he might've been touched in his soul when he thought about some of the words he was singing. That's between him and the Lord, and either way his eternal residence is fixed now.

I know this is off-topic, but one thing I will say about modern Christian music is that the vast majority of it doesn't seem to have much depth. There's a lot of repetition, and the lyrics, while they are mainly correct and in line with scripture, just don't seem to really show a great deal of knowledge of God. A lot of it seems focused on the believer, it's all "Jesus, You are so great, You did this for me, and that for me" etc. That's good, and we should absolutely meditate on everything that God has done for us - but there is more to Christianity than just that. It's really the mark of someone who's quite young in the faith that all the scope they have is thinking about what God has done for them. As we grow, we get a wider view. This wider view doesn't seem to be much represented in modern Christian music - or the stuff I've heard, anyway. When the impressions in the lyrics are so simplistic that they could've been gleaned off any Christian website, one almost wonders if the musicians are in fact believers at all, or if they're just in it for the money. That's possibly an awful thing to say, and it's most likely not true in the majority of cases, but one can't help wondering.

Another hobby-horse of mine is the way that, in modern music, divine Persons are never addressed using reverential language (i.e. thee, thou, thy...). However, since that language is hardly used by Christians at all nowadays - it's deemed "old-fashioned" - it's not surprising that it isn't used in music. It does put me off listening to modern Christian music, because I do find they lyrics jarring in that way.

There seems to be professedly Christian musicians who do a 180, but then there're also musicians who go the opposite way and find God, sometimes late in their careers. There is a bit of scepticism about that, I've noticed. I'd never listened to Christian music (apart from hymns) until very recently, but I bought a couple of albums, some of Johnny Cash and George Jones's Christian stuff, I listen to it in the car on the way to and from work. I like the music, the George Jones stuff is catchy, like 'Will There Be Any Stars In My Crown'. Folk say that Jones is a hypocrite, and they question the genuineness of his conversion because making gospel music is undoubtedly a good way to make a fast buck, particularly in the US. I don't know. I'd prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he started off in a cynical way and he might've been touched in his soul when he thought about some of the words he was singing. That's between him and the Lord, and either way his eternal residence is fixed now.

I know this is off-topic, but one thing I will say about modern Christian music is that the vast majority of it doesn't seem to have much depth. There's a lot of repetition, and the lyrics, while they are mainly correct and in line with scripture, just don't seem to really show a great deal of knowledge of God. A lot of it seems focused on the believer, it's all "Jesus, You are so great, You did this for me, and that for me" etc. That's good, and we should absolutely meditate on everything that God has done for us - but there is more to Christianity than just that. It's really the mark of someone who's quite young in the faith that all the scope they have is thinking about what God has done for them. As we grow, we get a wider view. This wider view doesn't seem to be much represented in modern Christian music - or the stuff I've heard, anyway. When the impressions in the lyrics are so simplistic that they could've been gleaned off any Christian website, one almost wonders if the musicians are in fact believers at all, or if they're just in it for the money. That's possibly an awful thing to say, and it's most likely not true in the majority of cases, but one can't help wondering.

Another hobby-horse of mine is the way that, in modern music, divine Persons are never addressed using reverential language (i.e. thee, thou, thy...). However, since that language is hardly used by Christians at all nowadays - it's deemed "old-fashioned" - it's not surprising that it isn't used in music. It does put me off listening to modern Christian music, because I do find they lyrics jarring in that way.
Its the young...i would say baby booming or hippie christians that discarded hymns and ruined a lot of church congregations in the procress, introducing rock music and rebellious youth culture.

I know amy grant is in it for the money as it pretty much all she boasted about in her book Mosaic. how 'blessed' she was that singing christian music opened up all these doors for her. She also commited adultery with another musician. So shes living like a rock star with a christian label.

Sad to say.

Its the young...i would say baby booming or hippie christians that discarded hymns and ruined a lot of church congregations in the procress, introducing rock music and rebellious youth culture.

Lanolin and EVERY ONE ELSE -
Have you ever took a moment and stopped and thought about this ?
God is way more smarter then any of us. (Thank God )
Now then God knew we all think and understands things differently and God gave of Pastors and teachers of many back grounds in order that ALL OF US may be ministered to.

Now then God also knew we all liked different types of music and therefore rose up musicians of different types again for us.

The devil is the one who destroys and polutes music and everything else.
Look at it this way -
If you can not swim - stay out of the pool
If you do not like this or that type of music - dont listen to it but keep your putting it down to your self. Pray and bless.

How are we ever going to get anything done in this world if Christians spend their time fighting over stuff such as what music is correct or what version or what side of the comunion cup does the bread sit.

Pray - Bless - Love
OBTW - Christian people turn back to their old ways - sad but it happens - stop making a bigger ordeal out of it when it is some one better known.
God Bless
Jim

That's only an opinion, Lanolin. As you have said, you have only been attending church(es) for 5 years. Give the world a few turns before you decide to pass judgment.

Holy Spirit was at work back in the 70's to reach a whole generation, and that generation has brought about the next, and this new generation coming out of that one is bringing about a global revival. So, stop and think before you spout off against anyone, for you just may be hurting the heart of God!

Leave the move of the Spirit of God to Him! His thoughts and plans are FAR ABOVE your own, my dear.

One of my favourites at the moment:

Last edited:
Now then God knew we all think and understands things differently and God gave of Pastors and teachers of many back grounds in order that ALL OF US may be ministered to.
Perhaps I'm not picking you up correctly, Jim, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, surely that doesn't agree with Philippians 1:27, Philippians 2:2, Romans 15:6, 2 Corinthians 13:11, 1 Peter 3:8, 1 Corinthians 1:10, Philippians 4:2. We're to be of one mind, not thinking differently and arriving at different conclusions, ministered to by people teaching diverse things. Is that what you mean, or am I misunderstanding?

I would say that the ossified, ultra-traditional, uptight, lily-white attitudes in many churches has done more harm to the body of Christ than a bunch of hippies and hard rockers could ever hope to.
My parents and I went to one of those churches in my youth (Presbyterian). Everything by-the-book and completely DEAD. If the pastor would have smiled I swear his head would have shattered.
If playing Metallica gets the heathens in the door, then so be it. Personally I prefer Zeppelin, Rush, and Yes.

Perhaps I'm not picking you up correctly, Jim, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, surely that doesn't agree with Philippians 1:27, Philippians 2:2, Romans 15:6, 2 Corinthians 13:11, 1 Peter 3:8, 1 Corinthians 1:10, Philippians 4:2. We're to be of one mind, not thinking differently and arriving at different conclusions, ministered to by people teaching diverse things. Is that what you mean, or am I misunderstanding?

My Loving Brother grant,
I do not know if you have any children or not but I am going to start off using children as my first example for God teaches and disciplines us in the same manner. He teaches parents to do the same.

Ok say you have 5 children. You are teaching them and bringing them up in the best manner you could. Now when it comes to teaching them or disciplining them - You will not be able to use the same manner to teach or discipline all of them in the same way. What works for some may not work at all for others. It is the same for us in Christ as well.

We are all different. We all have different dreams and desires. We all learn differently and even have to be disciplined differently for we are all each individual human beings.
What we are being taught does not change but in how we are taught or grasp a hold of things is what will be different from person to person.

This is why I said - God gives us pastors and teachers from many different back grounds so as we all can be taught. The same lesson is being taught ( Gods written word ) however in order for each unique individual to grasp His word it must be taught in different ways.

It is the same with music or food or open windows or closed windows in the winter time.
Some like slow music or worship and that is all well and good. Some like it a little more upbeat some like to dance in the isles and this is all well and good.

The only problem is MAN and not God. Man brings in religious traditions and hand me downs and insist it can only be one way - their way. This should not be so amongst the brethren. Jesus even told His disciples - for he that is not against us is for us.

There is NO set rule for how slow or fast or loud or quiet music shall be in church.
I myself enjoy a more upbeat tempo and fall asleep with the old slow hymns, does this make me wrong ? Of course not.

Grant we all need to work to be in one accord in Christ and His written word. However we are not clones nor robots and puppets. God needs every single indifference in the brethren ( likes and taste and such ) so as to be able to take His love and Salvation to the world.

We are to be even as God or even as Christ but we are not called to be just like every one else.
God placed in us different likes and desires and dreams for His purpose and because He knew we would enjoy them more then others. He loves us more then we can ever truly grasp.

So as you are correct with your scriptures we are to be of one accord when it comes to His word and ways BUT this does not mean in likes and desires and dreams. God Him self said He made some to be hands and feet and so forth. This alone shows that we are not all the same nor desire the same OTHER THEN His written word and ways.

I hope this makes more sense to you
God Bless You Grant
Jim

My Loving Brother grant,
I do not know if you have any children or not but I am going to start off using children as my first example for God teaches and disciplines us in the same manner. He teaches parents to do the same.

Ok say you have 5 children. You are teaching them and bringing them up in the best manner you could. Now when it comes to teaching them or disciplining them - You will not be able to use the same manner to teach or discipline all of them in the same way. What works for some may not work at all for others. It is the same for us in Christ as well.

We are all different. We all have different dreams and desires. We all learn differently and even have to be disciplined differently for we are all each individual human beings.
What we are being taught does not change but in how we are taught or grasp a hold of things is what will be different from person to person.

This is why I said - God gives us pastors and teachers from many different back grounds so as we all can be taught. The same lesson is being taught ( Gods written word ) however in order for each unique individual to grasp His word it must be taught in different ways.

It is the same with music or food or open windows or closed windows in the winter time.
Some like slow music or worship and that is all well and good. Some like it a little more upbeat some like to dance in the isles and this is all well and good.

The only problem is MAN and not God. Man brings in religious traditions and hand me downs and insist it can only be one way - their way. This should not be so amongst the brethren. Jesus even told His disciples - for he that is not against us is for us.

There is NO set rule for how slow or fast or loud or quiet music shall be in church.
I myself enjoy a more upbeat tempo and fall asleep with the old slow hymns, does this make me wrong ? Of course not.

Grant we all need to work to be in one accord in Christ and His written word. However we are not clones nor robots and puppets. God needs every single indifference in the brethren ( likes and taste and such ) so as to be able to take His love and Salvation to the world.

We are to be even as God or even as Christ but we are not called to be just like every one else.
God placed in us different likes and desires and dreams for His purpose and because He knew we would enjoy them more then others. He loves us more then we can ever truly grasp.

So as you are correct with your scriptures we are to be of one accord when it comes to His word and ways BUT this does not mean in likes and desires and dreams. God Him self said He made some to be hands and feet and so forth. This alone shows that we are not all the same nor desire the same OTHER THEN His written word and ways.

I hope this makes more sense to you
God Bless You Grant
Jim
Ah, I understand. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

That is a very, very good way of putting it.
In defense of the Newsboys, dollars to donuts that their Christian faith is genuine. I only base it on their interviews and live shows. I don't know any of them personally, and I myself have never been to a Newsboys show, but a few old friends were avid friends and have. They were very serious about prayer and preaching the gospel between sets with the crowd.

Is it possible that it was all a front? Of course. They wouldn't be the first so-called Christian band do this. They've been around for about 20 years and consistently stuck to this theme of preaching. I don't have any reason to believe they're frauds, so for now, I can only take their word for it.

Many people who seemed totally involved in their faith can do a 180 and reject God--at least in motions. The famous controversial, yelling comedian from the 1980s, Sam Kinison, was a pretty serious pentecostal preacher (so it seemed) who changed and became a very aggressively, blaspheming, comedian that encouraged vices.

I have to agree that the newsboys are genuine. I read an article about Mylon LeFevor....and as he came back to God, and rededicated his music, he has said that God let him know that the mantle of the anointing he used to have was being passed to his son in law, who i believe is the leader of the group.

Good thread.

Check your music carefully. Someone brought it to attention that quite a number of the Christain artists come from The EMI label which is owned by Sony.

So when you see your guy Christian artist with dark eyeliner and black nail polish, grungy outfits and his house on an MTV cribs lookalike programme is all dark with heavy wood and gothic crosses and what nots - then you gotta wonder.(n)

Sometimes to become relevant to the labels, they have to do what "their owners" say:unsure:

I have to agree that the newsboys are genuine. I read an article about Mylon LeFevor....and as he came back to God, and rededicated his music, he has said that God let him know that the mantle of the anointing he used to have was being passed to his son in law, who i believe is the leader of the group.
Well, thats good to know. I still dont listen to them though...
I wanted to make a band called the newzgirlz, but nobody wanted to join me...

Back