Christian Rights Vs Gay Rights

LanceA

Inactive
Lately there has been a few court rulings where a privately owned business has been forced to accommodate Gays. The most recent is a baker who told a Gay couple he couldn't make a wedding cake for them because of his beliefs. Colorado is now forcing him to make these cakes and he has to provide a quarterly report to them.

Do we as Christians stand up and keep our beliefs in our own businesses or should we bow down to society and give the gay agenda what it wants?

I think Christians should stand up.. The Christian leaders have a greater role.. We can see this reflected all through the Bible.. King and Priest held 2 separate offices.. Priest had no role in deciding how what a king should do.. But every time a king stepped out of line (as defined by God), it was the priest who would rebuke him.. And the king had to heed to the godly advice from priest.. I think that is the model which could be sustainable even today..

I've been bothered by this as well. Business owners should be able to choose who to deny entry onto their property. That being said, if I owned a business I would never deny gays entry. I don't think it's showing Christ's love to say certain sinners aren't welcome.

The baker actually offered to make them anything else. Just not the wedding cake. The funny thing is, Colorado's law doesn't allow gay marriage.

He is now "forced" to make cakes? Sounds like slave work to me. I'm not going to do a good job if I'm forced, and I'm going to charge extra also. What happened to reserving the right to refuse service to anyone?

The baker actually offered to make them anything else. Just not the wedding cake. The funny thing is, Colorado's law doesn't allow gay marriage.

I think the issue is denying them based entirely on their protected status because it's then considered discrimination. Not that I agree with it, that's just what our law says.

The baker could have embedded the word "Salvation", hidden within the cake itself. They wouldn't have seen it until they cut trough the word with the knife....

I think the issue is denying them based entirely on their protected status because it's then considered discrimination. Not that I agree with it, that's just what our law says.

Yeah, I think he could of just said no and it not have been an issue. But I think the baker wanted to take a stance for what he believed in. It's interesting.

Yeah, I think he could of just said no and it not have been an issue. But I think the baker wanted to take a stance for what he believed in. It's interesting.

Interesting indeed. I think if they were to just say 'no' though the customers would be demanding an explanation which the owners wouldn't have to give if they didn't want to. However, if they had a lot of those types of situations to where they said no to, they would have enough evidence built up for a lawsuit. Sad, really.

Interesting indeed. I think if they were to just say 'no' though the customers would be demanding an explanation which the owners wouldn't have to give if they didn't want to. However, if they had a lot of those types of situations to where they said no to, they would have enough evidence built up for a lawsuit. Sad, really.

I think it would still be hard to prove, unless they secretly recorded him, which they would not be able to use as evidence in court.

Lots of businesses discriminate all the time, and get away with it. For example when I use to DJ, some owners would say "It's getting too dark." That was a code for don't play anymore hip hop music so certain groups of people would leave. I stopped DJing for clubs, now I only dj for churches.

Or I know some people who rent out property and will not rent to certain groups, homosexuals included. They will never say the real reason. They just say they don't qualify or they had already picked someone else.

Proving any of this in court I think would be almost impossible.

I remember hearing this story awhile back. It's very strange to me, just going outside of the religious aspect of it for a moment, that people would force someone else to make them a cake rather than taking their business elsewhere. It's like insisting on feeding what could easily bite back. In fact, if the gay couple was really that offended, wouldn't it make more sense to say "There is no way I am offering my business to someone who I think is a bigot. You will not get my money and I don't want your cake."

I side with the businessman on two accounts:
1) I agree with him on the definition of marriage. He's right in holding the definition to a Godly definition, not a wordly one which can continue to change.
2) I agree with him in the classically liberal sense meaning the business is his property and he has the right to do what he wants on his property so long as he isn't violating anyone else's rights.

Had it been a gay businessman denying a Christian couple, I would disagree with the gay businessman's reasoning, but I would defend his right to operate his business as he chooses so long as he doesn't stand in the way of the Christian couple's business.

But I think a real problem is the focus of one group's rights over others. People do have the choice to choose what is right or what is wrong (though both sides will say they've chosen right).

I remember hearing this story awhile back. It's very strange to me, just going outside of the religious aspect of it for a moment, that people would force someone else to make them a cake rather than taking their business elsewhere. It's like insisting on feeding what could easily bite back. In fact, if the gay couple was really that offended, wouldn't it make more sense to say "There is no way I am offering my business to someone who I think is a bigot. You will not get my money and I don't want your cake."

I side with the businessman on two accounts:
1) I agree with him on the definition of marriage. He's right in holding the definition to a Godly definition, not a wordly one which can continue to change.
2) I agree with him in the classically liberal sense meaning the business is his property and he has the right to do what he wants on his property so long as he isn't violating anyone else's rights.

Had it been a gay businessman denying a Christian couple, I would disagree with the gay businessman's reasoning, but I would defend his right to operate his business as he chooses so long as he doesn't stand in the way of the Christian couple's business.

But I think a real problem is the focus of one group's rights over others. People do have the choice to choose what is right or what is wrong (though both sides will say they've chosen right).

Completely agree. Especially when dealing with someone thats going to be handling my food.

Can you say test case.

Isn't baking a cake subject to WHAT it's for not WHO it's for? Why couldn't they make that argument as the owners were willing to bake them a cake for something else other than a same sex wedding? For example, I'm assuming they would also deny to make a cake that was pro abortion, alcoholism, witchcraft, etc. I don't think it would then be considered discrimination if they looked at the WHAT instead of the WHO.

Isn't baking a cake subject to WHAT it's for not WHO it's for? Why couldn't they make that argument as the owners were willing to bake them a cake for something else other than a same sex wedding? For example, I'm assuming they would also deny to make a cake that was pro abortion, alcoholism, witchcraft, etc. I don't think it would then be considered discrimination if they looked at the WHAT instead of the WHO.

Never mind, I think it still comes back to the whole protected status thing. Frustrating...

Back