Clean eating?

shineyourlight8

Sr Encourager Mod
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Who has done it? I just went grocery shopping and bought two weeks worth of food to start clean eating. And, man, am I PUMPED! I'm so excited to do this.

However....I have no clue of what I'm doing haha.

Any tips?

What do you mean by 'clean eating'? Is this some new fad thing? Basically if it is in a can, jar, box, bag or other man-made container it ain't 'clean'. If it was grown by anyone other than your local "(truly)organic" 'free range' farmer- it ain't clean. Ask people from other countries who visit the USA-our food is horrendously under-nutritious and down right bad for you in general.

Did you know Coca-Cola will clean oil off of asphalt! I did it-it works! Of course this is just an off the wall example at the opposite end of the of the spectrum of where I am assuming you are going with this....

Who has done it? I just went grocery shopping and bought two weeks worth of food to start clean eating. And, man, am I PUMPED! I'm so excited to do this.

However....I have no clue of what I'm doing haha.

Any tips?
I am curious as to why you are doing this?

If you're talking about eating organic stuff, and nothing processed I try to do it as often as possible.

If you're talking about clean carbs, like no white rice, and flour type stuff, I also try to do that.

As of right now there is thanks giving left overs to be taken care of, and the gravy is dirty and good!

Did you know that all of the beans at Starbucks is considered organic, but as soon as they put it in the grinder there is a sticker on the machine that says beans are no longer organic once they have been grinded.

I ate raw fruits, veggies, and nuts and only drank water for a month a few years ago. It was intense for me. I drank about a liter and a half of water every morning before having anything, one liter before every meal or snack, and by the end of the month, I looked as healthy as I did in high school. I probably lost about 25 lbs of weight, my skin cleared up, and my energy level was really high. My wife (fiance at the time) did it too. It was a recharge into looking and feeling healthy.

I am curious as to why you are doing this?
Why not? :)

If you're talking about eating organic stuff, and nothing processed I try to do it as often as possible.

If you're talking about clean carbs, like no white rice, and flour type stuff, I also try to do that.

As of right now there is thanks giving left overs to be taken care of, and the gravy is dirty and good!

Did you know that all of the beans at Starbucks is considered organic, but as soon as they put it in the grinder there is a sticker on the machine that says beans are no longer organic once they have been grinded.
Yep! I'm eating nothing processed and organic :)

I ate raw fruits, veggies, and nuts and only drank water for a month a few years ago. It was intense for me. I drank about a liter and a half of water every morning before having anything, one liter before every meal or snack, and by the end of the month, I looked as healthy as I did in high school. I probably lost about 25 lbs of weight, my skin cleared up, and my energy level was really high. My wife (fiance at the time) did it too. It was a recharge into looking and feeling healthy.
Wow! That sounds pretty hard! I'm eating lean protein and working out every day :)

I'm super pumped for this!

Thanks for all of your ideas and feedback!

I like your effort to maintain healthy diet. I have always been too lazy to do any permanent change in my eating. That´s why I only joke about healthy diet :)
julia-child-The-only-time-to-eat-diet-food-is-while-youre-waiting-for-the-steak-to-cook-copy.jpg

I picked up a mixture of nuts after reading your post. I must say, brazilian nuts are the lima beans of nuts.

I like your effort to maintain healthy diet. I have always been too lazy to do any permanent change in my eating. That´s why I only joke about healthy diet :)
julia-child-The-only-time-to-eat-diet-food-is-while-youre-waiting-for-the-steak-to-cook-copy.jpg
Haha, I absolutely love your posts. They always crack me up.

Keep 'em coming!

And with the whole healthy diet, I've been doing it for 4 years and I absolutely love it :)

I'm trying this and have a few questions. What was the ratio nuts to veggies to fruits? How many calories were you taking in per day? How tall are you? How much did you weigh before and after? What type of workout routine were you doing at the time?

Right now I fluctuate between 185 and 190. I do 90 minutes of weight lifting and 45 minutes of cardio. I just want to make sure I keep my energy levels up when trying this so wanted to get an idea of how much and how often I should be eating with it. Thanks!

I'm trying this and have a few questions. What was the ratio nuts to veggies to fruits? How many calories were you taking in per day? How tall are you? How much did you weigh before and after? What type of workout routine were you doing at the time?

Right now I fluctuate between 185 and 190. I do 90 minutes of weight lifting and 45 minutes of cardio. I just want to make sure I keep my energy levels up when trying this so wanted to get an idea of how much and how often I should be eating with it. Thanks!

I couldn't say the ratio, but I suspect I was eating more fruits and veggies than nuts. Not sure of the calories.

I didn't measure at all. I ate throughout the day and as much as I wanted, but I was eating carrots, green beans, apples, berries, avocado, bananas, broccoli, almonds, cashews, some dried fruit, mango, sprouts, and probably some other stuff. Although I do recall having powerhouse sandwiches a couple of times a week for dinner (as sort of a cheat) with non-dairy cheese.

5'7"

I can't remember to be honest.

I think I was only swimming once a week at the time and doing 50 pushups in the morning, 200 sit-ups a night and used to bike from Chinatown to Georgetown periodically. I wasn't as active as I could have been.

But a key part to it was all the water I was drinking. It was possibly the biggest part and key to everything. Drinking all that water was probably the most exhausting part.

So, I'm sucking hardcore with the drinking of the water. I agree with you, @LysanderShapiro, drinking water is a pain when you have to drink a lot of it.

But I've been good at eating fine and just worked out.

I eat lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains.

Can I possibly do this long term? I'm part of a fitness group now that's doing it for 21 days, but what if I want to do it longer? Would that be dangerous?

Depending on how many carbs a person is taking in and how hard of a workout I would think it might not be good long term. But if you're throwing in a sandwich here and there I bet it would be good long term.

For me 8-10% body fat is ideal. If I went below that I would just adjust carbs accordingly to maintain.

So what exactly do you need tips about? I wouldnt call myself an expert but I would say my physique is far above average and my knowledge is up there. Im sure I can answer anything you need.

I'll give you an example of my diet. 6 whole eggs and a cup of oatmeal for breakfast. 8 oz chicken breast 1 cup of white rice meal 2. Meal 3 : 8 0z steak 1 cup of white rice. Meal 4 (post workout) protein bar/shake , 1 cup of fruit juice (insulin spike for replenishing glycogen). Meal 5: 6 oz steak 1 cup of rice. Meal 6: 8 oz chicken, 1 serving of almonds.

This is my diet to lean bulk. Worked very well for me. Added a good deal of muscle with very little fat. And when its spring and time to get cut up for the summer. Ill just slowly drop the carbs (rice/oats) and add a bit of cardio.

Back