Diagnosed With Depression The Other Day.

Good point Gene.(y) The joy and peace that Jesus gives me in my life is all I need. When I am sad (depressed) and feeling sorry for myself I just "kick" my self in the rear end and say to myself quit being a baby and do as Jesus would do.

You would do well to research what depression is and isn't if you are going to make the kind of comment that you have above.

http://well.wvu.edu/articles/eight_myths_depression

Here are some common myths about depression:

Myth #1: Depression is just a case of “having the blues” or being a little “down”.

Truth: There’s a big difference between clinical depression and the normal, everyday blues. For one thing, clinical depression lasts longer—from a few weeks to over a year. For another, sympathetic friends and family can’t make it go away. Clinical depression can start off as a reaction to a disappointment or other event, but it’s a serious illness that needs treatment.
Myth #2: Depression is no big deal—it’s not that serious.

Truth: Clinical depression is a very real and serious illness that affects all parts of a person’s life. College students with clinical depression suffer in many ways—not only are they in emotional pain, but they often withdraw from their friends, have trouble getting things done, get into conflicts with people and take dangerous risks. If they don’t get help, their whole future can be affected.
Myth #3: Depression is something you are stuck with. You can’t change it; you just have to wait it out.

Truth: Effective help for clinical depression is available, and most clinical depressions improve with treatment. Psychotherapy, or counseling, and medication are both very effective.
Myth #4: Depressed people are just lazy or weak. They need to pull themselves together and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Truth: When people are clinically depressed, they can’t “snap out of” it anymore than they can “snap out of” an ulcer or diabetes. Although we don’t know the exact cause of clinical depression, we do know it is a medical illness with biological components. We also know that genetics and certain brain chemicals play a part. In short, we know enough to treat it effectively.
Myth #5: It’s not good to talk about feeling depressed. Talking about it just makes it worse.

Truth: Some people think that talking about depression is just dwelling on a problem and that it’s better to change the subject. It’s hard for some people to talk about feelings, but telling someone about feeling depressed is an important step toward getting help. Talking to a therapist isn’t just getting things off your chest—it is a way to change the way you look at things and solve problems.
Myth #6: Only girls get depressed.

Truth: It’s true that more girls admit to feeling depressed, but there are probably more guys with clinical depression than we think. College men often don’t feel comfortable talking about the feelings and experiences that go along with clinical depression.
Myth #7: The best treatment for depression is antidepressant medication.

Truth: Antidepressants are only one form of effective treatment for clinical depression. For young adults, the combination of talk therapy and medication is often the most helpful. Two specific kinds of psychotherapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and interpersonal therapy (IPT), not only improve the symptoms of clinical depression but also help to prevent them from returning. Even regular aerobic exercise improves depression.
Myth #8: There is a medical test to diagnose depression.

Truth: Unlike diabetes, high blood pressure or cancer, there is no biological or medical test for clinical depression. A trained health professional makes a diagnosis of clinical depression by interviewing someone to see if they have a particular set of symptoms. A questionnaire can show if someone might have a clinical depression, but can’t give a diagnosis.

I am not asking for a pity party. I am just a little tired of others coming in here and telling me that I should not take medications to help with my depression. I do not take pills just because I can. I hate taking pills, but I recognize that I need something to get me to a point where I can once again function and care about life.

While I may not be diabetic, I am hypoglycemic and a juice diet for 90 days would not benefit me and probably make me worse. I am also not willing to become a vegan. I know that we're omnivores and need some meat in our diet. We do not eat lots of red meat, probably only having it 3-4 times a month. We mostly eat chicken and fish.

BTW, diabetes is exacerbated by FAT intake, NOT sugar. It's the fat in our blood stream that causes the pancreas to shut down and stop working. Hi carbs in not the best for you but high fat is bad.

Well if you can't see what you said is offensive and condescending then yes you should NOT post again on this thread.

I actually jumped the gun and he was trying to help without telling me not to take medications. He was giving me ideas.

I apologized to him already.

BTW, diabetes is exacerbated by FAT intake, NOT sugar. It's the fat in our blood stream that causes the pancreas to shut down and stop working. Hi carbs in not the best for you but high fat is bad.

Which is why when we do eat red meat we buy the 93/7 or 95/5 lean ground beef and lean cuts of meat for steak.

So sorry to hear. I read where practicing (doing) acts of gratitude -- make a list of things you are grateful for, write a letter to someone you are grateful to, etc, really helps.

I also exercise daily, so the myth that all diabetics are fat lazy slobs is perhaps an American view.

I suggest Christians who have had neither depression or diabetes not dictate or suggest medically dangerous or prohibitive ideas, ESPECIALLY if they have no personal or diagnostic experience.

Well some of us are ;) , and I agree about unprofessional diagnosis.

Which is why when we do eat red meat we buy the 93/7 or 95/5 lean ground beef and lean cuts of meat for steak.

Sometimes it is better not so much to worry about the 'ratio' of the meat-but the quality. In my personal experience-truly organic free range grass fed beef is about 1,00000000000000000000000000000000000000 times better for you and will actually make you feel better physically. In the USA processed store branded beef is injected with 3-4 different gases for 'preservation. as well as the antibiotics and hormones the cattle ate before they were butchered.

Yes-truly 'organic' does cost more-but you actually eat less of it because you get 'full' unlike processed beef (or any meat for that matter). Thankfully we have a whole bunch of Amish around here-We don't always get the 'good stuff' but when we do it is SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! And much healthier for your body-same goes for veggies-costs more-but you eat less-and are FULL!

Word of caution most stores that sell 'organic' like chain groceries stores-is not. Because they are required by the FDA to have antibiotics and gas processing done to transport and put on the shelves.

Rusty doesn't have that problem I am sure! We had missionary come in from Africa and tell us how bad he felt for the folks in the USA for the sorry state our food supply was in.

Too bad...I taught my wife to swim, and even blind with a kick board she does well.

Well I could probably do OK with a kick board, but I'm not really into the water sports. My first wife swam like a fish but she never bothered to try and teach me. Don't think she could have in any event.

My advice to you was to put your trust in Jesus and only Jesus and you say that it is wrong. If you don't trust in Jesus you have will have no hope and you will continue to be depressed.:(

I asked you to no longer reply in my thread. Please respect my request.

In 2009, I was diagnosed with epilepsy ("Wait, that's not depression!" "I know--let me finish.") When I was diagnosed, my neurologist prescribed me medication that altered my serotonin level. Depression runs in my family, but this did quite a lot.

Within only a month, I became incredibly depressed and even suicidal. My girlfriend (wife now) hadn't come from an upbringing where depression was very known so she wasn't sure if it was her or something separate.

My family, my girlfriend, and also her brother (who was and still is one of my closest friends) stepped up and said to 1) go to a new neurologist since he didn't seem to care that I was having a bad neurological reaction to his prescription, and 2) find out about anti-depressants.

Granted, a lot of people talk badly about anti-depressants, but for many people, they do a world of good. I took Prozac and I went from night to day -- I felt like my old self. I also began taking a different prescription for my epilepsy which didn't interfere with my serotonin level.

Indeed, faith and trust in God is always important, but it's not easy for one to keep in mind of these things when something is hindering your brain.

I don't know where your depression is stemming from (whether it is purely neurological or if there's far more to it), but I'd don't be afraid to find out about anti-depressants. Be open with your family about it, and of course ask them to pray for you.

There is no shame in dealing with depression--I'm certainly not ashamed that I dealt with it--but it is important that you take responsibility over counter-acting it.

God bless you.

Folks that know next to nothing of Prozac *outside of sensationalist media accounts and folklore* think it is a narcotic or dope...far from it.
How about these people Rusty, do you think they might be more qualified than you?

Prozac: brain damage, undesirable side affects, drug dependency, even DEATH!

Here's just a couple links, ...for those that want top know the truth from QUALIFIED medical practitioners in the field google dangers of prozac use.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2000/05/the-downsides-of-prozac-html

http://www.drugwatch.com/prozac/

Thanks Lysander: Great testimony.

Folks that know next to nothing of Prozac *outside of sensationalist media accounts and folklore* think it is a narcotic or dope...far from it.
Christians should be noted for their ability to research and empathize, not merely hand out "pious advise" on matters that they have no real knowledge of or experience with.

Keep posting, Mr. Shapiro!:love:

Not a problem, friend. And thanks for the compliment :D

How about these people Rusty, do you think they might be more qualified than you?

Prozac: brain damage, undesirable side affects, drug dependency, even DEATH!

Here's just a couple links, ...for those that want top know the truth from QUALIFIED medical practitioners in the field google dangers of prozac use.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2000/05/the-downsides-of-prozac-html

http://www.drugwatch.com/prozac/

Friend, anti-depressants aren't right for every single individual--it's best left between the patient and the doctor. It's reasonable for people to be careful when involving SSRI, but also many times, people who are not treated end up in even more trouble and, yes, dead.

I am only able to provide my own experience, the experiences of my family, and the information I have received from my brother (a pharmacist who has also experienced depression and was rightfully prescribed).

Indeed, people should do their research and speak to their doctors, but there are smear tactics all over the internet (some with bad intentions) and they have often scared people away from something that could have helped them quite a lot.

It helped me, otherwise I may not be here today.

Right....If a Christian freaks out too much over, very real extremes can happen.

I have a friend who is so "faith only" that she would not get help for her acute thyroid problem and she was very close to being thrown in a nut house.

She refused all dairy products due to chemicals, and developed osteoporosis.

She has had more than a dozen mini-strokes, but refuses to face the facts that they impair here reasoning and mental life and insists God talks to her....yet she does bizarre things.

Raw foods / true organic / grass fed, show amazing benefits So does 'natural' non-tampered with water. Your friend should see if she can get a hold of raw milk, we used to drink it on my aunt's farm-so much better than the junk in the grocery store. Hard to get nowadays since our government has so willingly tried to help us in our health by making it ILLEGAL to buy prepackaged in the store. You have to take your own container to a farmer willing to dispense-and usually they don't share every time you want milk. This country has gotten so stupid...maybe I will defect to Russia? Belize? South East Asia? Lots of room in Africa I hear.

A lot of the answers I'm reading are very Christian Scientist-based. That's fair enough, though the OP seems to be looking for some information outside of only praying.

Always include God in everything, but the innovations of medical research and aid is not something to be discarded--in fact, it's something for which we should be thanking God.

Anyone could google "dangers of anti-depressants" and find link after link of info. But also, one could google "benefits of anti-depressants" and also find link after link.

I've done raw food as an experiment (not to cure anything, just for health benefits). It was difficult and fun. But while I did it, I continued to take my prescriptions. :)

I don't take Prozac anymore -- haven't for a year now, but it's because my serotonin is leveled. Some people may need to stay on it, but for others, it's just a means to correct something that is neurologically off.

Also, I had never had raw milk -- it's illegal in DC (along with everything else). Almond milk is raw and a good milk substitute.

I cannot consume almond milk because I am allergic to tree nuts. As for soy, rice and coconut milk, I didn't like the way either of those three tasted nor how they cooked when cooking with them. Having lived in Upstate, NY between cow farms, I was able to try raw milk many times and I never liked it's taste either.

In regards to organic meats, we cannot afford them. We receive food stamps because we are a very low income family and the amount that we receive isn't very much, so we need to be careful of how we spend it. We cannot justify the price of organic meats with what little food stamps that we receive.

Back