Did Jesus literally walk on water?

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
hello folks.

I’ve been listening to some music and my imagination turned to the bible.

Immediately I imagined how Jesus walked on water and if you ask any adult if they can walk on water I’m sure they will laugh and make some kind of funny comment.

Well I was laughing too but in a way as to how could He even do this?
Didn’t his disciples wonder or even ask him how He did this?

Is this literal in your eyes?
Or is this symbolic of a miracle which us mere humans can identify with as not being possible for us so as to draw our attention to His Divinity?

When I am confronted with the symbolic I feel the need to delve deeper.

And I am left with the miracle that is Life itself!

hello folks.

I’ve been listening to some music and my imagination turned to the bible.

Immediately I imagined how Jesus walked on water and if you ask any adult if they can walk on water I’m sure they will laugh and make some kind of funny comment.

Well I was laughing too but in a way as to how could He even do this?
Didn’t his disciples wonder or even ask him how He did this?

Is this literal in your eyes?
Or is this symbolic of a miracle which us mere humans can identify with as not being possible for us so as to draw our attention to His Divinity?

When I am confronted with the symbolic I feel the need to delve deeper.

And I am left with the miracle that is Life itself!
How did Jesus walk on water?................He LITERALLY took One step at a time!

He walked on the water by faith.

29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.”

Peter would know that Jesus walked on the water since Peter did it also. On top of that, the other disciples saw Jesus walk on the water, so much so that they came and worshiped Him.

You could say that Jesus walked on faith, while the water splashed all around.

Last edited:
He walked on the water by faith.

29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.
30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!”
31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”
32 And when they got into the boat, the wind ceased.
33 Then those who were in the boat came and worshiped Him, saying, “Truly You are the Son of God.”

Peter would know that Jesus walked on the water since Peter did it also. On top of that, the other disciples saw Jesus walk on the water, so much so that they came and worshiped Him.

You could say that Jesus walked on faith, while the water splashed all around.
I understand what you are saying but remember, Jesus was GOD! He created the water. I in my own heart do not think that faith played a part.

There are many things that I cannot explain. That does not make them unreal.

I have read a lot of explanations of such things as quantum theory (at least on a surface level).
I do not claim to understand them nor how the forces that are dealt with by quantum mechanics give the appearance of Newtonian physics. But I do believe that those that know know it for good and sufficient reason.

Some things I don't understand because I have not perceived their nature, even on a superficial level.

I cannot explain many of the miracles in the Bible.

But, it is my FIRM belief that the laws of nature are a manifestation of God's nature. I find it hard to believe that when God performs a miracle, which is when His nature is most clearly seen, He arbitrarily suspends the manifestation of His nature in natural laws.

There are many things that I cannot explain. That does not make them unreal.

I have read a lot of explanations of such things as quantum theory (at least on a surface level).
I do not claim to understand them nor how the forces that are dealt with by quantum mechanics give the appearance of Newtonian physics. But I do believe that those that know know it for good and sufficient reason.

Some things I don't understand because I have not perceived their nature, even on a superficial level.

I cannot explain many of the miracles in the Bible.

But, it is my FIRM belief that the laws of nature are a manifestation of God's nature. I find it hard to believe that when God performs a miracle, which is when His nature is most clearly seen, He arbitrarily suspends the manifestation of His nature in natural laws.
Boy is this ever a great responce. I really think YOU should start a seperate thread on this idea.

Now if I may, I would say that Moral laws define what we ought to do, but we are under no compulsion to obey them. We have a choice.
We obey the laws of physics/nature because they bind us to them. We obey moral laws because we bind ourselves to them.

So, the idea of God "obeying" what we describe as the laws of physics/nature to me, is really an oddity. These laws govern the physical universe--not the Maker of the physical universe. It seems to me that the Maker of the physical universe certainly has the power to create new matter according to His own will, as in the case of the Feeding of the 5,000 or walking on Water. He can change matter according to His will as well, as in the case of the Turning of the Water into Wine, the healing of the blind, the raising of the dead, etc.

When I was in high school in the year prior to my accepting Jesus in a personal way, my general sciences teacher discussed some aspects of theories coming out of studying fundamental particles. He noted that every particle has two natures: that of particle AND that of a wave. He said that that in ANY particle there is a very small but non-zero chance that it will manifest its wave nature and start moving at the speed of light only to appear as a particle at the end.

I got to thinking: An infinite God could select from the random possibilities to perform just about anything one might choose.

If He wished to be more _creative_ -- and who is more creative than God? -- He could also compensate for conservation of motion and conservation of spin, etc.

God could cause an up welling of (transported) water beneath our Lord's feet (thus supporting Him).

This water could then be transported back to complete the cycle.

Of course this is truly contrived in my mind and I never truly took that to be the answer and I am sure that something more elegant happened. But it does show that God has a lot of options that although are astounding do not require the suspension of His laws.

How do we do something we have never done before? Do we not fail often when we try it? Compare this to something we do often, even something that takes talent or much practice to do, like playing a musical instrument or ice skating. Those who are new to something fail miserably and have no belief that they can do it. But if you have learned the skill, then you know you can do it because you have done it before. You believe, have faith, that you can do it.
Consider these verses:

Romans 4:17 (as it is written, "I have made you a father of many nations") in the presence of Him whom he believed--God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;

So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11).

Matthew 17:
19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?"
20 So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

So faith is the key, as we see in the "walking on the water" occurrence:

31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?

Peter believed he could walk on water because of Jesus, and he did at first. Then, Peter feels the wind and he looks and says to himself, "What am I doing? This isn't possible!", and he sinks.
Jesus has faith He can walk on water because He knows He can and He knows how to do it. As God, He can do anything He desires since He knows He can, without doubt.

Many here are contemplating how Jesus did this, what skill does He know or have? Well He can call things into existence, so He can change the buoyancy of His feet, or create more surface tension in the water, or just cause the water molecules to become fixed as wood fibers. Whatever it is, it is beyond our faith/knowledge level, at least for now.

After studying scriptures there should be no doubt of God's capabilities. If we doubt one of Bibles' illustrations of His power then we doubt them all.
If anyone needs further validation of the Bible...Dave F just listed an excellent example of it.

There is no verifiable proof of any of HIS miracles, we accept the eyewitness testimony of the bible or we don't. But think about this as you consider your position, even HIS greatest enemy (while he tempted Christ Jesus) believed Jesus could turn stones into bread.
Excellent!

Back