Did Jesus literally walk on water?

In Zen there is the idea of koan, which is a sort of riddle or paradox that has no definite logical meaning. The idea of a koan is to stop the "monkey mind" and drop you out of your normal way of thinking and put you into a different mode that can perceive and process information in a novel way, ultimately leading to enlightenment.

In many ways the entire Bible is a koan. It simultaneously makes no sense while also making perfect sense. It can be accepted in-whole and at face-value by faith alone or it can be nit-picked and torn apart by reason.

When I started my journey with the Bible, I came from a point of reason and thus the Bible made little sense. I saw the apparent contradictions and thought I was clever. I imagined the bronze age scribes as they wrote the words and thought why should I care about them or this?

But I persevered on my journey, not all at once. It took many years but as I came back to the Bible I started to see it from a different point of view. I saw the words, yes, but I also saw more. I saw the love of God in the words, and between the words, and in the pages, and in the bindings. I saw the Bible as an infinite journey, inexhaustible for the intelligent and simple alike.

Indeed, in many ways the Bible is easier for the simple. Our own intelligence is often our worst enemy.

So now when I read the Bible I simply read it, accepting it as it comes. I don't dissect the words. I don't run to my thesaurus and look for alternate meanings of words. Instead I listen to my heart. I ask myself, "how does this make me feel?" and I go from there.

In Zen there is the idea of koan, which is a sort of riddle or paradox that has no definite logical meaning. The idea of a koan is to stop the "monkey mind" and drop you out of your normal way of thinking and put you into a different mode that can perceive and process information in a novel way, ultimately leading to enlightenment.

In many ways the entire Bible is a koan. It simultaneously makes no sense while also making perfect sense. It can be accepted in-whole and at face-value by faith alone or it can be nit-picked and torn apart by reason.

When I started my journey with the Bible, I came from a point of reason and thus the Bible made little sense. I saw the apparent contradictions and thought I was clever. I imagined the bronze age scribes as they wrote the words and thought why should I care about them or this?

But I persevered on my journey, not all at once. It took many years but as I came back to the Bible I started to see it from a different point of view. I saw the words, yes, but I also saw more. I saw the love of God in the words, and between the words, and in the pages, and in the bindings. I saw the Bible as an infinite journey, inexhaustible for the intelligent and simple alike.

Indeed, in many ways the Bible is easier for the simple. Our own intelligence is often our worst enemy.

So now when I read the Bible I simply read it, accepting it as it comes. I don't dissect the words. I don't run to my thesaurus and look for alternate meanings of words. Instead I listen to my heart. I ask myself, "how does this make me feel?" and I go from there.
Excellent post. I would say that one of the reasons that the Bible can sometimes be hard to understand is that we are all fallen beings - sin clouds and distorts our understanding and leads us to twist the Bible to our own liking. Untill we become "born Again" and look at things the way God looks at them, nothing seems to make any sense.

Then I would add that there is a time and culture difference. Depending on what part of the Bible you are studying, there is between 3,400 and 1,900 years between when the Bible was written and us today. That is hard to compute when we are used to instant gratification with the technology we now have.

Then it should be noted that the Bible contains different types of literature. The Bible contains history, law, poetry, songs, wisdom literature, prophecy, personal letters, and apocalyptic literature. Historical literature must be interpreted differently from wisdom literature. Poetry cannot be understood in the same way as apocalyptic writings.

I appreciate your input. Good job!

Then I would add that there is a time and culture difference. Depending on what part of the Bible you are studying, there is between 3,400 and 1,900 years between when the Bible was written and us today.
There is a series of books with this as a theme. I have read the one concerning Genesis (The Lost World of Genesis One by John Walton).

His thesis is that our manner of understanding has changed since the these were written. His basic message is that although the Bible was written FOR everyone, it was written TO people separated by time and place and cultural differences often make the original meaning obscure.

The upshot is that the original message cannot be reliably understood.

As much as I agree with this thesis, I think he takes it too far and makes Biblical teaching removed from modern life.

Last edited:
There is a series of books with this as a theme. I have read the one concerning Genesis (The Lost World of Genesis One by John Walton).

His thesis is that our manner of understanding has changed since the these were written. His basic message is that although the Bible was written FOR everyone, it was written TO people separated by time and place and cultural differences often make the original meaning obscure.

As much as I agree with this thesis, I think he takes it too far and makes Biblical teaching removed from modern life.
It is because of this that I seek out preachers who are inspired to be able to relate OT teachings to today's culture. It is eye-opening to get a message I had previously just discounted because the culture had customs which don't fit today's standards then get the meaning of it explained and how it fits today.

I tend to agree with that as well.

We must know WHO a certain passage is written to and WHY = Culture.

"Obscure" ...YES, impossible to understand, NO.

It is because of this that I seek out preachers who are inspired to be able to relate OT teachings to today's culture. It is eye-opening to get a message I had previously just discounted because the culture had customs which don't fit today's standards then get the meaning of it explained and how it fits today.
Agreed! Excellent point!

In every Scripture, there is a historical fact that can and should have a spiritual lesson as well.

May I say to you, that a right understanding of Old Testament history and Law along with Poetry and Poems enables a preacher to understand the original message to the original audience at the original time and place; and that having done this, the bridge to the present message is far easier and safer to construct. That fact is why I have always said that a Pastor/Teacher should have a degree in theology.

If not he will eventually follow the rabbit down the hole of liberalism so as to please his member instead of God!

Agreed! Excellent point!

In every Scripture, there is a historical fact that can and should have a spiritual lesson as well.

May I say to you, that a right understanding of Old Testament history and Law along with Poetry and Poems enables a preacher to understand the original message to the original audience at the original time and place; and that having done this, the bridge to the present message is far easier and safer to construct. That fact is why I have always said that a Pastor/Teacher should have a degree in theology.

If not he will eventually follow the rabbit down the hole of liberalism so as to please his member instead of God!
That and have the Holy Spirit helping to drive the Message Delivery Truck.

hello folks.
I’ve been listening to some music and my imagination turned to the bible. Immediately I imagined how Jesus walked on water and if you ask any adult if they can walk on water I’m sure they will laugh and make some kind of funny comment. Well I was laughing too but in a way as to how could He even do this? Didn’t his disciples wonder or even ask him how He did this? Is this literal in your eyes? Or is this symbolic of a miracle which us mere humans can identify with as not being possible for us so as to draw our attention to His Divinity? When I am confronted with the symbolic I feel the need to delve deeper. And I am left with the miracle that is Life itself!
Matthew 17: 19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?" 20 So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. So faith is the key, as we see in the "walking on the water" occurrence: 29 So He said, “Come.” And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus. 30 But when he saw that the wind was boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink he cried out, saying, “Lord, save me!” 31 And immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and caught him, and said to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?Many here are contemplating how Jesus did this, what skill does He know or have? Well He can call things into existence, so He can change the buoyancy of His feet, or create more surface tension in the water, or just cause the water molecules to become fixed as wood fibers. Whatever it is, it is beyond our faith/knowledge level, at least for now.
After studying scriptures there should be no doubt of God's capabilities. If we doubt one of Bibles' illustrations of His power then we doubt them all. If anyone needs further validation of the Bible...Dave F just listed an excellent example of it.

Hello Via, Big Moose and gpresdo;

Jesus walked on water. Peter started to walk but began to sink. Peter was getting his feet wet. lol!

Via, you ask an excellent question and everyone's posts and fellowship have ministered to me. Thank you for sharing this topic, Did Jesus literally walk on water?

Big Moose,
you are correct, brother. I do feel it's normal for believers to contemplate how Jesus did this, what skill does He know and have? Not just this passage but who God is, because He is so amazing that in our lifetime we will never master our Lord and the wonderful things He does for us and His glory.

gpresdo, well said, "If we doubt one of Bibles' illustrations of His power then we doubt them all." I don't feel God expects us to know everything about Him in our lifetime. Instead of doubt we can ask Him any question about His Word. What matters is we choose to trust Him.

Excellent thread,
brothers and sisters. God bless you all!

Boiling this down to the lowest common denominator...

Mar 10:27 Looking at them, Jesus *said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."

I think the greater miracle is that Peter actually took a few steps before sinking.

Matthew 14:29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
Matthew 14:30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

Last edited:
There is no verifiable proof of any of HIS miracles, we accept the eyewitness testimony of the bible or we don't. But think about this as you consider your position, even HIS greatest enemy (while he tempted Christ Jesus) believed Jesus could turn stones into bread.
If we go with the no verifiable proof other than the bible itself. The sceptics would merely say that even the verse you quote of Jesuses greatest enemy the Devil attesting to this is from the very bible itself. Thankfully the bible is a verifiable proven document both geographically and historically So why not the eyewitness accounts of his miracles being truthful accounts as well. The sceptics seem to happily accept the historical accounts of Alexander the Great even if the accounts of him are written hundreds of years after his death. We need not apologise for the tried and proven document we now have. And should never put it aside to please the secular reasoning of the sceptics.

Boiling this down to the lowest common denominator...

Mar 10:27 Looking at them, Jesus *said, "With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God."

I think the greater miracle is that Peter actually took a few steps before sinking.

Matthew 14:29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.
Matthew 14:30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.
One of the things we should consider here is that when we read John 6 where Jesus walked on water, to anyone familiar with the Old Testament, John 6 reads like a reenactment of the exodus story of which the Passover is a central part.
There are several "Pictures" that are drawn in the Exodus story which are then seen in the Jesus story of John 6.

I believe the reason is to show that Jesus was superior to Moses.

One of the things we should consider here is that when we read John 6 where Jesus walked on water, to anyone familiar with the Old Testament, John 6 reads like a reenactment of the exodus story of which the Passover is a central part.
There are several "Pictures" that are drawn in the Exodus story which are then seen in the Jesus story of John 6.

I believe the reason is to show that Jesus was superior to Moses.
Agreed. Yet Peter, a mere man truly walked (then sank) on/into literal water.

Last edited:
Listening to one’s heart 💜 can be a poor interpreter of Scripture…

Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Asking this question removes the possibility of the miraculous. How was the universe created? How did life start? We know these happened, and yet nobody knows how. If we could understand how God does things, we would be equal to God, and we are not.

The reason scriptures tell us..."some things are reserved for our Father's knowledge...only"........and......"it shall be revealed in due time".

Back