Difference Between Sin Committed By Believer And Unbeliever

Every believer commits sin at some point. There is sinless believer. At the same time, we have lot of self righteous unbelievers as well. Clearly their righteousness does not glorify God. At the same time, the sins they commit might be far less than what believers commit.

A believer tells lies. An unbeliever also tells lies.. How different are they?

Every believer commits sin at some point. There is sinless believer.
At the same time, we have lot of self righteous unbelievers as well.
Clearly their righteousness does not glorify God.
At the same time, the sins they commit might be far less than what believers commit.
Rev 21:7-8 promises that all liars will go into the lake of fire.
We're talkin' habitual liars here, not the occasional repented-of lie.

At the same time, the sins they commit might be far less than what believers commit.

Rev 21:7-8 promises that all liars will go into the lake of fire.

Rev 21:7-8 promises that ALL liars will go into the lake of fire.
But, who pays any attention to God's promises?

Another promise: Judgment begins at the house of God.

P.S. It's entirely possible that some day I'll figure this editor out.
Not even a way to delete one's own error post.

Rev 21:7-8 promises that ALL liars will go into the lake of fire.
But, who pays any attention to God's promises?

Another promise: Judgment begins at the house of God.

P.S. It's entirely possible that some day I'll figure this editor out.
Not even a way to delete one's own error post.
That is the worry my brother. But I trust Christ more than anyone else. Especially myself.. I have my own dark sides. In my heart I don't want to do it. But I give into the desires of my flesh. But it is not just once. I do that every time. I do feel godly sorrow after doing it. I repent. But how different is it from a drunkard who says that is the last drink every time? Are we all believers in a way not habitual sinners?

That is the worry my brother. But I trust Christ more than anyone else. Especially myself.. I have my own dark sides. In my heart I don't want to do it. But I give into the desires of my flesh. But it is not just once. I do that every time. I do feel godly sorrow after doing it. I repent. But how different is it from a drunkard who says that is the last drink every time? Are we all believers in a way not habitual sinners?
Well, I guess not really ... because Jesus and Paul instructed us
to be perfect, holy, obedient, without sin, and many etcs.
I would hope that sincere continual repentance will result in
you and the Holy Spirit being successful to produce an overcomer.
Because you must be an overcomer!

Every believer commits sin at some point. There is sinless believer. At the same time, we have lot of self righteous unbelievers as well. Clearly their righteousness does not glorify God. At the same time, the sins they commit might be far less than what believers commit.

It's very different. To me there is no such thing as a righteous unbeliever, because the greatest commandment is to love God. That they do not do. They actually hate God. At least the believer attempts to keep this commandment, thus trying to follow all the commandments, because it is written, "if you love me you will obey my commandments"

So it's all about love for God. So for the believer, when he sins, his heart will respond differently compared to the unbeliever. It's about having a repenting heart, and having a repenting heart because the relationship with Christ.

Coffee time.

Well, I guess not really ... because Jesus and Paul instructed us
to be perfect, holy, obedient, without sin, and many etcs.
I would hope that sincere continual repentance will result in
you and the Holy Spirit being successful to produce an overcomer.
Because you must be an overcomer!
There have been bigger sins which I have overcome. There are many smaller sins which I find it so hard to overcome. I know He has made an overcomer. And I fully believe that. I still fall for the flesh so many times.

It's very different. To me there is no such thing as a righteous unbeliever, because the greatest commandment is to love God. That they do not do. They actually hate God. At least the believer attempts to keep this commandment, thus trying to follow all the commandments, because it is written, "if you love me you will obey my commandments"

So it's all about love for God. So for the believer, when he sins, his heart will respond differently compared to the unbeliever. It's about having a repenting heart, and having a repenting heart because the relationship with Christ.

Coffee time.
So you are saying, sin is the same. Reaction after sin is the only difference?

There is a depth of intent with every sin. Lying is not always lying. Yes, sin = sin, but level of rebellion behind every sin is not the same.

Its easiest to just look at our wives. They can swear at us, but do they need to repent? Sure, but if they forget, are they not our wife? Of course not. We 'know' that they mean to repent / will repent. As they have already sunk to a depth of intent when they decided to marry us. Everything we do as Christians is measured against the depth we sunk to when first saved. That depth was ''I give you my all Lord''...a depth that the Holy Spirit judged as 'deep / sincere / truthful' Jer 17:10. Sufficient to reveal Jesus as Lord to us 1 Cor 12:3 / give us a measure of faith Rom 12:3.

Our wives can do almost anything to us and we will still stay married to them. But there is of course, adultery. This is what I see as us shipwrecking our salvation. It takes constant and extreme rebellion to force God away from us.

Another way to gauge our state is to discern the hardness of our hearts. How often are we swearing at God? How often are we impatient with God? Adulterers treat their spouse with no respect.

I like what Paul says in 2 Cor 13:5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you-- unless indeed you fail the test?

I would say yes breaking a sin is the same. Having a repenting heart is the difference. I think only a born again can have the repenting heart, because of his love for the Father.
I see your point..

Believer - Repentance
Unbeliever - Regret

I think there is a huge difference between regret and repentance. Regret is not change of mind. It is simply regretting the action.

But my follow-up question. If a person is repentant, why would he continue sinning? In the case you quoted, why man never achieves the perfect love for God?

I see your point..

Believer - Repentance
Unbeliever - Regret

I think there is a huge difference between regret and repentance. Regret is not change of mind. It is simply regretting the action.

But my follow-up question. If a person is repentant, why would he continue sinning? In the case you quoted, why man never achieves the perfect love for God?
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Difference Between Sin Committed By Believer And Unbeliever
An unbeliever has no constraint. He is completely oblivious to what pleases and displeases God. As a husband of my wife I know 1000 things that please her. How many do you know of my wife?

I am not suggesting there is no depth of intent with unbelievers. It would be on what they do know. Like brains tell them that stealing food from the shop is better then stealing food from a homeless boy.

So, sin for a believer hurts God more as we have not only opened our heart to Him but He has done likewise with us (He does not even hear the prayers of sinners) and 'we do know better'...but that is not to say we lose Him 'easier'. The unsaved never broke down and poured their heart out to Him and repented of sin. He still has a lot more confidence in us 'coming right' and repenting.

If a person is repentant, why would he continue sinning?
In the case you quoted, why man never achieves the perfect love for God?
We have our flesh to deal with ... and our free will.
Oh, mustn't forget the genius evil one ... Satan.

And, of course, there's Paul who says:
the slave of sin receives eternal death (Romans 6:16).
Yes, he's warning Christians here! Sorry!

An unbeliever has no constraint. He is completely oblivious to what pleases and displeases God. As a husband of my wife I know 1000 things that please her. How many do you know of my wife?
I don't know if I fully agree to this.. God cannot judge a person to hell, if he was oblivious to what was expected from him.. I don't know the 1000 things about your wife.. But I do know what women in generally do no like or like :)

On the other hand, a believer fully knows what is needed for him to please God.. Stay away from evil! Still he does..

Back