divorce - is it a sin?

mhroy

Inactive
divorce - is it a sin?

One woman is divorcing her husband just because she found a better one. Better looking, better caring, better materialisticly, better in understanding her. Everything is better. The first husband is a good man in my opinion.

Is divorcing a sin in this case?

If yes, does it mean that whoever divorces will have a worse life with a new husband? Or is it not necessary?

The reason why I am asking is that when I say to her you shouldn't be divorcing, she says that why shouldn't have a better life. And I can't say anything back.

It is wrong and according to the Bible she will be committing adultery as will her new husband, after they marry~

As a consultant in these matters for years, I try to make the point that we must take into consideration that all such cases are unique. We are not the one's to judge sin or assign blame... only Our Heavenly Father has that right.

Divorce, IN GENERAL, is not a sin that can not be forgiven. There is only one unforgivable sin in scripture and this isn't it. If both parties sincerely REPENT from the heart for any part that they personally played in the overall conditions leading up to the divorce, then their slate is wiped clean by God. That is what sincere repentence is all about... a change of heart and a change of lifestyle so the sin is not repeated.

Please remember that God HIMSELF is a divorcee. Are you surprised to hear that?

You can read about it in Jeremiah 3 (KJV) and especially Jeremiah 3:8 (KJV). We can all learn lessons about marriage and godly behavior from Paul in 1 Corinthians 7 (KJV). Read the entire chapter and compare the text with what you see in some marriages today. It may be of help in some cases.

Agree 100% with everything P-G has said, but wish to add one additional comment.

It occurs to me, that a lot of people are very stuck up on their own happiness. Nothing really wrong with that, but it has become such a common thing that people divorce simply because they think they can do better. Nothing else seems to matter. We have indeed become very selfish beings. A woman finds a better man, so she leaves her husband. A husband gets tired of his wife, and trades her in for a younger model. We have become a disposable society, and that is not God's plan. While I don't think anyone should suffer through a marriage that is abusive, simply getting bored is not an excuse for divorce, and unfortunately, that seems to be the root of the problem.

Both Pastor Gary and Banareth have made great point with which I agree 100%!

Only God knows this woman's heart and what her marriage was like with the husband she's divorcing. No one indeed should have to suffer through an abusive marriage and, in my opinion, abuse doesn't always necessarily mean physical abuse. It can be verbal, emotional, spiritual and all of those can have sometimes even more lasting reprecautions than physical abuse, unless that physical abuse is extreme! So, she will have to search her heart and recognize what is the true reason she's divorcing him and weather or not she has tried to get God's help in changing the situation before leaving. I don't believe if someone divorces they go to hell, but I also agree with what Banareth said about us being a disposable society!

Laura:)

Agree 100% with everything P-G has said, but wish to add one additional comment.

It occurs to me, that a lot of people are very stuck up on their own happiness. Nothing really wrong with that, but it has become such a common thing that people divorce simply because they think they can do better. Nothing else seems to matter. We have indeed become very selfish beings. A woman finds a better man, so she leaves her husband. A husband gets tired of his wife, and trades her in for a younger model. We have become a disposable society, and that is not God's plan. While I don't think anyone should suffer through a marriage that is abusive, simply getting bored is not an excuse for divorce, and unfortunately, that seems to be the root of the problem.

Exactly Ban, and that is what the woman in question is doing.
Leaving because she found a better looking man with more money?
That is not acceptable in God's eyes and that was the man's question~

One pointto consider is God will not reject a person based on their failures and mistakes. That is why Jesus paid our price- to save us from ourselves. Does that give one a ticket to follow all their fleshly desires of course not.
Jesus is about rebuilding broken lives.

^^^ Truth be spoken. I find it humorous and disturbing that the image people have of God is a big man with a white beard standing up on a cloud with a clipboard checking off sins to see if he can "catch us". And then we pray that He will give us money, and pay our debts and stuff.

...not at all unlike another bearded man with a checklist that likes to break into kids houses and eat their cookies once a year....

I understand and agree about God's forgiveness but if a better looking, richer man comes along can I leave my husband for him and then ask forgiveness, because as the woman in the original post thinks, why doesn't she deserve a better life?

How many other lives I would be violating and hurting, out of selfishness!

No one was disagree with you sis. I was only showing the other side of the coin.

I know, B.L.~ :)

Some people I think do believe they can do this though....sin, hurt others, ask forgiveness then go on their merry way while the others are left behind, still suffering.

This is interesting.

Can I ask another question in this thread then? Do you guys think that there's such a thing as different degrees of sin? Let's say that a wife is beaten and abused in all ways. She divorces. Is that a sin?

Let's say a husband leaves his wife because he found a stewardess young enough to be his daughter and she makes him feel young and fresh. Is his sin "hotter" than the abused wife's?

Thanks...it's interesting learning.

This is interesting.

Can I ask another question in this thread then? Do you guys think that there's such a thing as different degrees of sin? Let's say that a wife is beaten and abused in all ways. She divorces. Is that a sin?

Let's say a husband leaves his wife because he found a stewardess young enough to be his daughter and she makes him feel young and fresh. Is his sin "hotter" than the abused wife's?

Only in the eyes of man...we WANT to be better that the others...God doesn't see it that way. ALL sin is detestable to Him, it ALL keeps us from Him.

This is interesting.

Can I ask another question in this thread then?
NO! You can't!
Just kidding!!! :D

Do you guys think that there's such a thing as different degrees of sin? Let's say that a wife is beaten and abused in all ways. She divorces. Is that a sin?
No, I don't believe it is. I don't think God expects or wants us physically hurt by a spouse or for our children to suffer through this sort of lifestyle.

The Bible says there is no measure to sin~
:)

In my humble opinion...

This is not a sin, because the husband has already broken the marriage contract to love her and protect her.

Jesus words are very clear to me:

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

You can only divorce ONLY if there was fornication. Period.

Jeremiah 3 (KJV) Jeremiah 3:8 (KJV) and 1 Corinthians 7 (KJV) does not give any exceptions.

How can it be not a sin?

As Pastor Gary said earlier each case must be looked at indiviually.
Does God hate divorce- yes, He is the Master of restoration and healing. Does He hate people who divorce- no, His mercy and love can cover all.

As Pastor Gary said earlier each case must be looked at indiviually.
Does God hate divorce- yes, He is the Master of restoration and healing. Does He hate people who divorce- no, His mercy and love can cover all.

Of course, God will have mercy on a sinner. But it is not a question. Is a divorce a sin? I think it is in ALL cases except when "fornication" had place. And Bible supports my view. God himself said that.

Let's say that a wife is beaten and abused in all ways. She divorces. Is that a sin?
No, I don't believe it is. I don't think God expects or wants us physically hurt by a spouse or for our children to suffer through this sort of lifestyle.

I have to disagree. Nowhere in Bible it says that it is a reason for divorce. If it does, prove me wrong with a direct quote. I have direct quote. What we think about it doesn't matter. That what God commands matters. And he commands not to divorce unless fornication took place.

It is true that in the culture of thoise days mne were expected to beat their wives. I can't see God wanting someone to be hospitalized or killed. The letter kills and the Spirit gives life.

Back