Do You Believe Atheists "choose" To Go To Hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many atheists and engage them in conversation quite a lot on the subject of faith and belief, and I don't think as many do that atheists are angry at God or simply being rebellious. I've seen the statement made that they are consciously choosing hell and while I disagree with the atheists, I do legitimately believe that they are not angry with God or in denial or anything of the sort, I think they just don't believe there's a God there at all.

I was an atheist at one point and it is pure rebellion and nothing else. It is obvious God exists, and once they stop rebelling God will reveal himself to them as they search for the truth (that is, if they care enough to search for the truth). That's how it went for me at least.

I was an atheist at one point and it is pure rebellion and nothing else. It is obvious God exists, and once they stop rebelling God will reveal himself to them as they search for the truth (that is, if they care enough to search for the truth). That's how it went for me at least.
I'm not saying that there aren't rebellious atheists denying a God they believe truly exists, but I think the vast majority have simply drawn a conclusion that there is no God. There is a tendency for some to paint all atheists with the same brush.

Everyone makes a choice where they go. No one will have an excuse before God. It doesn't matter if they don't know the "Name" of Jesus because God's law is written on all our hearts - this is how come we have a conscience.

Everyone makes a choice where they go. No one will have an excuse before God. It doesn't matter if they don't know the "Name" of Jesus because God's law is written on all our hearts - this is how come we have a conscience.
But can you conceived of there NOT being a God? And it's OK if you can't, because lots of Christians can't. As a mental exercise and nothing more, it's possible to think there's no God. And for some of these people, that's their natural state of mind. So for them it's not about excuses, it's that they REALLY think there's nothing, so why would they "choose" to go to a hell they don't believe exists?

I know many atheists and engage them in conversation quite a lot on the subject of faith and belief, and I don't think as many do that atheists are angry at God or simply being rebellious. I've seen the statement made that they are consciously choosing hell and while I disagree with the atheists, I do legitimately believe that they are not angry with God or in denial or anything of the sort, I think they just don't believe there's a God there at all.

There are some that are rebellious, but I've met many people that just don't believe there is any god. They are generally people that either like science or believe that scientists have proven there is no god, which is impossible.

I don't think that atheists choose to go to hell. I know a few people that have tried praying and reading the Bible and they just get no response. I think that's bothersome, honestly. Some people are genuinely seeking the truth and they don't get led to Christianity but instead into atheism or another religion. I don't really understand it.

But can you conceived of there NOT being a God? And it's OK if you can't, because lots of Christians can't. As a mental exercise and nothing more, it's possible to think there's no God. And for some of these people, that's their natural state of mind. So for them it's not about excuses, it's that they REALLY think there's nothing, so why would they "choose" to go to a hell they don't believe exists?
Romans 2:12 (KJV)
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;

This is why God is the judge, He knows all.

The motivations behind a person's atheism can vary greatly, the issue is not a particularly clear one.
You must also understand that no person comes to their religious (or irreligious ) convictions alone.
I've known many atheists that stick to the line that "there is no evidence of a god or gods". This is obviously false, but understand that the atheist has a lot of emotional baggage riding on maintaining his illusion of personal independence and mastery of his own life and environment. He will happily lie to himself all day long rather than be forced to consider ideas that shake his world up too much.

The more rabid atheists just blatantly despise all that they think "God" stands for and think the idea that there "really is a God" is patently rediculous.

Exactly. God says that there is no excuse to not know God, as He is evident. The person who states that they believe there is no God is simply in rebellion.

Romans 1:20 (NLT)
For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

Psalm 53:1 (NLT)
Only fools say in their hearts,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and their actions are evil;
not one of them does good!

Exactly. God says that there is no excuse to not know God, as He is evident. The person who states that they believe there is no God is simply in rebellion.
Gee, I disagree with that completely.
First problem: Yes there IS an excuse to "not know God," you might live in some war torn part of the world where God is never even mentioned and there are no Bibles or holy texts of any kind.
Second problem: "The person who states that they believe there is no God is simply in rebellion" - that is simply nonsense, if you conclude with your own brain that there is no God, there is no "rebellion" involved. Rebellion would be if you elected to not believe in God because He didn't answer a prayer or something, and even then I'm not sure anyone can "make a decision" to believe or disbelieve in God. Your brain decides, and you go with what your brain tells you. I don't think you have any control over that.

First problem: Yes there IS an excuse to "not know God," you might live in some war torn part of the world where God is never even mentioned and there are no Bibles or holy texts of any kind.
Second problem: "The person who states that they believe there is no God is simply in rebellion" - that is simply nonsense, if you conclude with your own brain that there is no God, there is no "rebellion" involved. Rebellion would be if you elected to not believe in God because He didn't answer a prayer or something, and even then I'm not sure anyone can "make a decision" to believe or disbelieve in God. Your brain decides, and you go with what your brain tells you. I don't think you have any control over that.
I agree. Some of the more scientific people just can't believe. As much as they may think about it, they just can't fathom that a god exists. Is it their fault that they cannot, even with trying, believe that there is something else out there? I guess Calvinists would have no issue with this because these people just aren't the elect, but for me it's an issue. How can they not see that God is real? I can't fathom not believing in God, so I imagine it's just the opposite for them.

How does one disagree with what God plainly says?

A person who concludes that there is no God is only engaging the brain. God reveals Himself spiritually through the observation of Creation to those who have never heard the name of Jesus. Bible---and I prefer it to any other voice that speaks something different.

Romans 1:18-20 (NLT)
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

2 Corinthians 10:4-5 (NLT)
We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments. 5 We destroy every proud obstacle that keeps people from knowing God. We capture their rebellious thoughts and teach them to obey Christ.

A person who concludes that there is no God is only engaging the brain. God reveals Himself spiritually through the observation of Creation to those who have never heard the name of Jesus. Bible---and I prefer it to any other voice that speaks something different.

Romans 1:18-20 (NLT)
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. 19 They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. 20 For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.

We don't see creation anymore like we used to. All the city dwellers don't get to see the beauty God created outside of a tree or two. All they see is man's creation. Skyscrapers and cars.

August Burns Red lyrics

Skyscrapers, Earthmovers, Ground Breakers
Our buildings rival the Heavens
Our bridges span the seas
Ingenuity is so cunning
Innovation is not ours
Creativity is a luxury
We build with our hands what we have in our hearts

Going to suggest to you that it's not as plain as you are making it out to be.
And yet there are still atheists out there - lots of them, so are you telling me that those atheists had God revealed to them as you did, and chose to reject Him? Is it not much more likely that they received no such revelation, or didn't recognize one?

We don't see creation anymore like we used to. All the city dwellers don't get to see the beauty God created outside of a tree or two. All they see is man's creation. Skyscrapers and cars.

August Burns Red lyrics

Skyscrapers, Earthmovers, Ground Breakers
Our buildings rival the Heavens
Our bridges span the seas
Ingenuity is so cunning
Innovation is not ours
Creativity is a luxury
We build with our hands what we have in our hearts

Speak for yourself! The word of God is just as powerful today as when it was first written and shared among the churches as letters. What God says there is applicable now. People see God in His Creation. That is why it is so very powerful! It is the intellect and the arguments of Satan in secular thought, which is atheistic at its core that has infected men's minds, but God breaks through all of that in people h desires to know Him.

Going to suggest to you that it's not as plain as you are making it out to be.

Nonsense. It is only complicated to those whose minds are darkened and refuse to see the truth.

And yet there are still atheists out there - lots of them, so are you telling me that those atheists had God revealed to them as you did, and chose to reject Him? Is it not much more likely that they received no such revelation, or didn't recognize one?

God is available to every atheist and I dare say that they have had more than one opportunity to know God---or will in their lifetime yet!

I trust what God says. Sorry you don't.

Speak for yourself! The word of God is just as powerful today as when it was first written and shared among the churches as letters. What God says there is applicable now. People see God in His Creation. That is why it is so very powerful! It is the intellect and the arguments of Satan in secular thought, which is atheistic at its core that has infected men's minds, but God breaks through all of that in people h desires to know Him.
What do you mean, "speak for yourself?"

I didn't say anything about God's word.

They don't see God's creation anymore. Just man made stuff. Did you even read my post?

Nonsense. It is only complicated to those whose minds are darkened and refuse to see the truth.

God is available to every atheist and I dare say that they have had more than one opportunity to know God---or will in their lifetime yet!

I trust what God says. Sorry you don't.

No need to get snappy. We're just talking.

So I clicked this thread earlier then exited it. I first found it using tapatalk under unread. I couldn't find it again because I had read it. I'm replying now so it will go in my participated section. That way I can find it quicker and read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back