Doctrinal Authority

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you will get all the Apostles to agree to your conclusion, as they all struggled against sin. None of them sailed through life on a bed of roses. It makes no difference weather the sins of the flesh in which we are surrounded in or the powers of darkness we are wrestling with which are trying to tempt us to sin, there will always be a struggle against sin as long as this world is the way it is. I think you seem to think just because we have the victory over sin because of what Jesus did for us that we do not struggle against it. We are the ones resisting by the power of God in us. This is not done for us automatically.

Jas 4:1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

Heb_12:4 Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
I agree. Most of the churches in the body lack truth, therefore you will have sin and carnality.
I constantly hear how this, that ,and the other one, is "creating saints". But when you actually meet these supposed saints they are no better than the average pagan. Our churches all full to the rafters with people who make the right "christian noises", but when it comes down to actual faith and virtue, are terribly lacking.

There is NO DARKNESS IN THE LORD. If we as sons of God have chosen to sin or have any kind of darkness or sin in us, then we are told to repent because there is NO fellowship with God if there is any darkness/sin in us. If we are in any sin or darkness, He tells us don't deceive yourself and think or say you have fellowship with Him because that's a lie and the truth isn't in you. So repent and walk in the light so you can have fellowship with Him and one another.

1 John 1
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

I guess I'm not asking you to "stop dealing with this Dual Nature Heresy," so much as to just ask what people mean then they say "two natures" first...

Like, you asked me, "You see brother, what I am saying is do you believe you are powerless to obey God because of your flesh or as some people say, "I couldn't help it the devil made me do it". Or, I cannot control my flesh and can't help myself."
So I'm thinking, it might be easier for you if you just opened with that, so then you know right away if someone believes something that isn't true, or if they're just using terminology that you don't think accurately reflects their actual belief... just a suggestion:)

Looking back, I realize there are questions I could have asked to be more direct as well. Hopefully, that's a lesson in communication for both of us. Peace!
You are right. Thanks Brother. :rolleyes:

What does it mean to walk in the flesh? Does the flesh have its own nature? What does it mean to walk in the Spirit? Does the Spirit have its own nature, or is the nature of the flesh the same as the nature of the Spirit? What happens when you set your physical mind on the things of the flesh, can we please God? What constitutes a man who is born again? If man does not have a human nature then he is not a man. If Jesus did not have a human nature then he never became a man. There are those who will not confess, or believe that Jesus Christ came the flesh, these are anti Christ.

1Jn_4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2Jn_1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Jesus in his human nature grew in Wisdom (Luke 2:52) . Jesus in his divine nature knew all things (John 21:17) . Jesus in his divine nature is worshiped,(Matt. 2:2, 11; 14:33), Jesus in his human nature worshiped his Father (John 17). Jesus in his divine nature is called God (Mark 1:1). Jesus in his human nature is called
the Son of man(John 9:35-37). Jesus in his divine nature gives life (John 10:28). Jesus in his human nature died (Rom. 5:8). Jesus in his divine nature is prayed to (Acts 7:59). Jesus in his human nature prayed to the Father (John 17).

What part of any of these is to hard to understand?
Man's human nature is not the same nature we get when Christ becomes our life. We receive his divine nature.

Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
Rom 8:6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

What happens if you walk after the fleshly human nature? It brings death. What happens if you walk after the divine nature which is Christ in you? There is life and peace. Does the mind of the flesh have the same nature as the Spirit of God? Absolutely not!!!! How many natures did Jesus have? Two. How many natures does a born again Christian have? Two.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

When man is tempted, it is always in his human nature, as Christ in us can never be tempted.

Have you never read or re-read a passage, chapter or entire book in the Word more than once? I did not mean that statement as condescending. As a teacher myself, I was merely saying re-read the book of Romans for further revelation from the Spirit on these issues we were studying. Sorry if you were offended.

I hear you and that would be acceptable except for the addition of.............."That would be a start".

I explained this scripture already to you. Read the entire passage in 1 John. Don't just pull out one scripture.

There is NO DARKNESS IN THE LORD. If we as sons of God have chosen to sin or have any kind of darkness or sin in us, then we are told to repent because there is NO fellowship with God if there is any darkness in us. If we are in any sin or darkness, He tells us don't deceive yourself and think or say you have fellowship with Him because that's a lie and the truth isn't in you. So repent and walk in the light so you can have fellowship with Him and one another.

5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

No my dear, you did not explain it. You gave your opinion of its meaning but certainly that did not explain it and you still haven't.

CONTEXT is always the key and The context of verses 5-9 still come down to and points to ......... "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us".

Yes, for an unregenerated man (unsaved), it is the nature for that soul to desire sin.

So then if we follow that logic, Jim Baker who defrauded hundreds of people by taking their money for homes that did not exist, and then was caught having an affair with his secretary.........was an unregenerated man (unsaved)......Your words!

No my dear, you did not explain it. You gave your opinion of its meaning but certainly that did not explain it and you still haven't.

CONTEXT is always the key and The context of verses 5-9 still come down to and points to ......... "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us".
I explained the context. You did not.

So then if we follow that logic, Jim Baker who defrauded hundreds of people by taking their money for homes that did not exist, and then was caught having an affair with his secretary.........was an unregenerated man (unsaved)......Your words!
First of all we do not even know if he was saved. Secondly, if he was saved, I have already explained in numerous posts how the New Creature can defile himself.

Second time:

Scriptures please to explain your statement.
James 1:12-16 (KJV)
Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren.​

Second time:

Scriptures please to explain your statement.

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

That which is "common" to man is his human nature!!

Don't get lost in semantics. Jesus, God, came down from heaven, born of a virgin so no sin within His genes, lived a perfect life, tempted just like us, but never gave into it, died for us, paid the price for our sins, raised from the dead to have authority over all, went back to heaven and sent us the very Spirit He obeyed to live that sinless life. We are dead to sin in God's eyes. We just have to believe what the word of God says. Ceasing from sin before salvation is impossible, but afterwards, it's doable. Ceasing from sin isn't salvation, ceasing from sin is proof of salvation. Our bodies are still filled with sin and its effects. Where do you set your eyes?

2 Peter 2:14 (KJV)
Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
Hebrews 6:1-2 (KJV)
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.​

If you stop focusing on self and focus on Jesus and His finished work, you can move onto perfection. Read this;

1 John 4:17 (KJV)
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.​

Where is Jesus? Heaven. What is Jesus like? Perfect. Where are we? In Jesus. What are we like? Perfect, NOW, today in THIS world.

Do you believe the scriptures? Rightly divide them.

Don't get lost in semantics. Jesus, God, came down from heaven, born of a virgin so no sin within His genes, lived a perfect life, tempted just like us, but never gave into it, died for us, paid the price for our sins, raised from the dead to have authority over all, went back to heaven and sent us the very Spirit He obeyed to live that sinless life. We are dead to sin in God's eyes. We just have to believe what the word of God says. Ceasing from sin before salvation is impossible, but afterwards, it's doable. Ceasing from sin isn't salvation, ceasing from sin is proof of salvation. Our bodies are still filled with sin and its effects. Where do you set your eyes?

2 Peter 2:14 (KJV)
Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls: an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children:
Hebrews 6:1-2 (KJV)
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.​

If you stop focusing on self and focus on Jesus and His finished work, you can move onto perfection. Read this;

1 John 4:17 (KJV)
Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.​

Where is Jesus? Heaven. What is Jesus like? Perfect. Where are we? In Jesus. What are we like? Perfect, NOW, today in THIS world.

Do you believe the scriptures? Rightly divide them.

Well said. This is part of what I have been trying to say.
Before salvation man is held captive to sin (old man/body of sin/sin nature) After salvation, living a holy, sinless life is "doable" because we are no longer held captive to the power of sin. (New Man/Divine Nature) We were re-created perfect in Christ and scripture says we are to maintain that holiness. Amen!

Last edited:
Well said. This is part of what I have been trying to say.
Before salvation man is held captive to sin (old man/body of sin/sin nature) After salvation, living a holy, sinless life is "doable" because we are no longer held captive to the power of sin. (New Man/Divine Nature) We were re-created perfect in Christ and scripture says we are to maintain that holiness. Amen!

Not so! You have been expounding "Sinless Perfection". I am sure you are a sincere Christian lady, however in this instance you are in Biblical error.

Are we sinless because we are forgiven, cleansed and given the Holy Spirit? Absolutely not. We are regenerated in our human spirit, given a new nature, but the old nature has not been removed.

What does the Bible say about sin and what is the biblical definition?

The Bible says, “Sin is the transgression of the law” (I John 3:4).

So any command by God that is not obeyed perfectly would be defined as sin. The apostle John makes it clear that, “All unrighteousness is sin” (I Jn. 5:17).

So one would have to be perfectly righteous to not sin any longer. Paul also states, “for whatsoever is not of faith is sin” (Rom. 14:23) which would include everything we do.

And James makes a general statement about ones conscience and omission “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin” (James 4:17).

With these basic guidelines (and there are more) we can understand what the Bible defines as sin and how we are to act to not be considered participating in sin.

Everyone has Sin, believers and non-believers alike. The Bible states: “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” We have a fallen nature and for this reason we need to be born again or have a spiritual birth. Adam introduced sin. It resulted in both spiritual and physical death for him, spiritual first.

Only Adam became a sinner by sinning. We die physically because of Adam’s sin passed on to all succeeding generations spiritually, genetically. We are all born with a built-in death warrant, which is our sin nature, because we have inherited this sin nature from Adam. We are born already spiritually dead (separated from God).

Rom 3:10 As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one; v.12 “there is none who does good, no, not one.” Jesus said to the rich young ruler who approached him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God” (Mark 10:18). Only God is intrinsically good, only God by His nature does good and does it all the time.

It is only after we have a new nature that we can even do good! And it comes from our new nature not the old. As Paul makes clear “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing” (Rom. 7:18).

Not so! You have been expounding "Sinless Perfection". I am sure you are a sincere Christian lady, however in this instance you are in Biblical error.

Are we sinless because we are forgiven, cleansed and given the Holy Spirit? Absolutely not. We are regenerated in our human spirit, given a new nature, but the old nature has not been removed.

So any command by God that is not obeyed perfectly would be defined as sin. The apostle John makes it clear that, “All unrighteousness is sin” (I Jn. 5:17).

So one would have to be perfectly righteous to not sin any longer. Paul also states, “for whatsoever is not of faith is sin” (Rom. 14:23) which would include everything we do.

And James makes a general statement about ones conscience and omission “Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin” (James 4:17).

With these basic guidelines (and there are more) we can understand what the Bible defines as sin and how we are to act to not be considered participating in sin.

Everyone has Sin, believers and non-believers alike. The Bible states: “all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.” We have a fallen nature and for this reason we need to be born again or have a spiritual birth. Adam introduced sin. It resulted in both spiritual and physical death for him, spiritual first.

Only Adam became a sinner by sinning. We die physically because of Adam’s sin passed on to all succeeding generations spiritually, genetically. We are all born with a built-in death warrant, which is our sin nature, because we have inherited this sin nature from Adam. We are born already spiritually dead (separated from God).

Rom 3:10 As it is written: “There is none righteous, no, not one; v.12 “there is none who does good, no, not one.” Jesus said to the rich young ruler who approached him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God” (Mark 10:18). Only God is intrinsically good, only God by His nature does good and does it all the time.

It is only after we have a new nature that we can even do good! And it comes from our new nature not the old. As Paul makes clear “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing” (Rom. 7:18).

I'm sorry but I do not agree with you and never will on this issue because I know what the Word says about the body of sin/old nature/old man and I believe it. When we rightly divide the word it is clear that the New Creature in Christ does not have a dual nature. Sons of God do not have a sin nature and their Father's nature in the same temple.

Romans 8:1-3
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Jesus Christ initiated a law in the flesh; the law of the Spirit of Life; which makes us free from the law of sin and death that once worked in the flesh. The flesh is the holy temple of God. The Father quickened it alive again unto righteousness.

1 Corinthians 12:27
Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

The body is no longer a body of sins, but it is now the Body of Christ. For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones ...Ephesians 5:30. At salvation, Jesus enters that same body and makes it His own. Though we are given stewardship of the flesh, the body belongs to God. It is the body of Christ. That is the New Man.

EPHESIANS 5:30
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

I explained the context. You did not.

Major, you never did explain the context of 1 John 1. You mainly pulled out one scripture from 1 John which was verse 8. "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." That was it, nothing else. And your opinion was that it meant christians sin and always will.

I posted 1 John 1: 5-10 to give a better overview of what John was talking about and how it related to your one verse. I posted what preceded and what followed your one verse to give clarification as to its meaning. Your opinion as to what your one verse means is not accurate in light of all scripture. What John is saying in light of the context is:

He is not saying that all christians have sin in them and always will sin. Quite the contrary. He is saying IF you sin...then repent and get back into fellowship with God. There is NO DARKNESS IN THE LORD. If we as sons of God have chosen to sin or have any kind of darkness or sin in us, then we are told to repent because there is NO fellowship with God if there is any darkness/sin in us. IF we are in any sin or darkness, He tells us don't deceive yourself and think or say you have fellowship with Him because that's a lie and the truth isn't in you. So repent and walk in the light so you can have fellowship with Him and one another.

There were christians in the church that said or believed they were still in fellowship with God and were okay, but they continued to sin. He wanted them to know they were deceiving themselves and not walking in the truth. He was saying to them it was a lie and the the truth wasn't in them because they continued to sin and thought they were okay.

1 John 1

Last edited:

I was just agreeing with "Abdicate". His post was excellent. He's saying the same thing I have said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back