Does God Change His mind

Dusty

Inactive
Does God Change His mind

God is unchanging in His person , His purposes and His promises.

God is not a man that he should lie, nor a son of man , that he should change his mind .

Does he speak and then not act ?

Does he promise and not fulfill?

( Numbers 23:19 ; Psalm 33:11;102:26-28; Hebrews 1:11; Malachi3:6; Romans 11:29; Hebrews13:8; James 1:17 )

Does God Change His mind

That's an interesting question. Remember the conversation God had with Abraham in Genesis 18. They seemed to barter with one another.

God is all knowing, both past and future, and that being the case, it is difficul to say that He changes His mind, because it has all been predestined.

However God does respond to prayer, and God does provide things for us when we ask.

If I were taking my daughter to the doctor for a checkup, and on the way she asked; "Can we stop and get an ice cream?"
I didn't really change my mind, We're still going to the doctor, but I might be willing to meet her request on the way.

That's an interesting question. Remember the conversation God had with Abraham in Genesis 18. They seemed to barter with one another.

God is all knowing, both past and future, and that being the case, it is difficul to say that He changes His mind, because it has all been predestined.

However God does respond to prayer, and God does provide things for us when we ask.

If I were taking my daughter to the doctor for a checkup, and on the way she asked; "Can we stop and get an ice cream?"
I didn't really change my mind, We're still going to the doctor, but I might be willing to meet her request on the way.

I like that answer .

There are passages in which God " appears "to change His mind .

( Exodus 32:9-10, 14 )
9 "I have seen these people," the LORD said to Moses, "and they are a stiff-necked people.
10 Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them. Then I will make you into a great nation."
14 Then the LORD relented and did not bring on his people the disaster he had threatened.

When God saw what they did and how they turned from their evil ways , he had compassion and did not bring upon them the detruction he had threatened ( Jonah 3:10 )

So the Lord relented .

Amos 7:3-6

3 So the LORD relented.
"This will not happen," the LORD said.

4 This is what the Sovereign LORD showed me: The Sovereign LORD was calling for judgment by fire; it dried up the great deep and devoured the land.
5 Then I cried out, "Sovereign LORD, I beg you, stop! How can Jacob survive? He is so small!" 6 So the LORD relented.
"This will not happen either," the Sovereign LORD said.

I'm not sure if He changes His mind but in a couple of places he "repents" to have made a decision.
I'm not sure if God regrets or only the writer made it seem that way while writing in Genesis and Exodus.

Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, ...Yeah, I agree. Abraham and God were reasoning together Negotiating. God modified his plan. Why did He do that for Abraham? Because He had given dominion to man. They negotiated, only one just man was found so God and Abraham came to agreement. The just man was moved out of the way and the city was destroyed.

Its my opinion that Gods decisions are not 'predestined' on fore knowledge. I believe they are based on Love. On you. I know of a few preachers who, when God said to them. "This is what I want you to do in this outreach." They said. "I don't want to do that".. The preacher and God sat down together and negotiated an agreement as to what they would do.
God is our Father, our teacher, our friend. He is not a dictator. Everything he does is based on Love. Not surprising, since He is love. As I said Thats my opinion, and that only counts for me.. grin

What about when the spies came back from Canaan. God wanted to give them all a plague and wipe them out. But Moses persuaded him to not do that. :confused::confused:

Some one said God repented .... I don't think God needs to repend but as I said before He can relent . Those are two different words.

In those cases where God "appears " to change His mind , one or more of these conderations may apply .

I am not saying that I am right . . So please do not jump down my throat ... LOL

The impression , God relented , or was grieved when He made man is an Anhtropomorphism , that is a description of God which likens God's actions to man's .

How else can man understand then by thinking of God in human terms and comparisons ?

God's " change of mind " may only be the way it looks from man's perspective.

In both Genesis 22 vrs 2, 11 -12 and in Exodus 32 , that which God proposed was a test and in both cases , His eternal purpose did not change.

In cases where either judgement or blessings are promised , there may be an implied or stated condition.

For example , we read in Jonah 3 that the King of Ninevah says " Who knows , God ,may turn and relent , and withdraw His burning anger so that we shall not perish ? "
What the Ninivites hoped for .....Jonah knew for fact . They cried for mercy and forgiveness hoping God might hear them.

Definition of Anthropomorphism......the atribution of uniquely human characteristics to non- human creatures and beings, natural and supernatural phenomena, material staes and objects or abstract concepts.

Its my opinion that Gods decisions are not 'predestined' on fore knowledge.
I'm in Seminary right now,and Predestination is one of the most difficult concepts I know of to wrap my arms around.
Romans 8 and Ephesians 1 clearly establish an "elect". That is a predestination to salvation through Jesus Christ.
However we do not find scriptural support for a predestination to damnation. (1st Timothy 2:3-4)

In fact, if some are predestined to eternal damnation, then what point would there be in sharing the Gospel? Why would we have been given the great commission? And for that matter,... Why Pray?

It is my belief, (And the doctrine of the L.C.M.S.) that Christ is physical evidence of Gods eternal love for rebellious sinners. We believe this not because it "makes sense" to human reason, but because this is what we find taught in the pages of God's holy Word.

When we discuss things like "time" and "fore knowledge" I think it is important to remember that we don't see time the same way that God does.

You and I are somewhat "stuck" in time. We can learn from the past, but we cannot see the future. (God can)

We do not have the ability to move into the past, (God can)
We can only move into the future at the rate we are moving into it at right now. (God is not limited as we are)

You and I are limited as to our understanding of events, past, present and future, (God does not suffer from such constraints.)

That's probably why the topic of predestination can become so contrevourseal. Man is attempting to comprehend something far beyond his own ability. I think it's like trying to fully comprehend the Trinity, or what heaven will be like.

It does make for some great conversations though! :)

I couldn't agree more. I think that is exactly correct.

In conclusion..... While God's decree cannot be altered , we must grant that God is free to act as He chooses........Romans 11:29 ......for God's gifts and his call are irrevocable.

God promised to bring His people into the land of Caaan. Due to their unbelief the first generation did not possess the land , but the second generation did.

When Jesus came He offered Himself to Israel as the Messiah . Her rejection has made possible the offer of the gospel to the Gentiles .

Nevertheless, when God's purposes for the Gentiles have been accomplished , God will once again pour out His grace and salvation upon the Jews . God's purposes do not change.

Some one said God repented .... I don't think God needs to repend but as I said before He can relent . Those are two different words.

In those cases where God "appears " to change His mind , one or more of these conderations may apply .

I am not saying that I am right . . So please do not jump down my throat ... LOL

The impression , God relented , or was grieved when He made man is an Anhtropomorphism , that is a description of God which likens God's actions to man's .

How else can man understand then by thinking of God in human terms and comparisons ?

In both Genesis 22 vrs 2, 11 -12 and in Exodus 32 , that which God proposed was a test and in both cases , His eternal purpose did not change.

In cases where either judgement or blessings are promised , there may be an implied or stated condition.

For example , we read in Jonah 3 that the King of Ninevah says " Who knows , God ,may turn and relent , and withdraw His burning anger so that we shall not perish ? "
What the Ninivites hoped for .....Jonah knew for fact . They cried for mercy and forgiveness hoping God might hear them.

Definition of Anthropomorphism......the atribution of uniquely human characteristics to non- human creatures and beings, natural and supernatural phenomena, material staes and objects or abstract concepts.

I believe the word repent in this case means "be to moved to pity,to have compassion"

That sounds just like our God Full of pity, compassion

Personally I would prefer the term "JUST" :)

LOl Ok How about...God is JUST full of Pity and compassion? Grin

You are right though. Our God is a Just God.

Know whats really cool? The word 'Just' is the same word for 'righteous' As in "Our God is a just judge" or "Our God is a righteous judge" Means the same thing. I like that.:):)

Back