Don't Make Conversation With The Woman

I can deflect intimate conversations by changing the subject. Or just not answering. If someone is groping me...well, that's when a slap is in order. People say they smack their children, well, how about when a man touches a woman and she didn't invite him - is she allowed to smack him?

MM the Holy kiss is known well enough throughout the New Testament right up to this present day be that of men kissing men or woman kissing woman or both as referenced as the church. 1st Corinthians 16:23, 2nd Corinthians 13:12,, Romans 6:4 and 1st Peter 3:14. It was seen as both a spiritual and physical gesture of Christian love and also used in rituals of our church histories . As to the kiss on the cheeks. Yes .But also on the lips with a closed mouth. As mentioned by church father Clement. We also find a mountain of evidence of handshakes and hugs as well. There be varying warning of how this was to be done through our histories . But it was never seen as a evil act of which your Rabbi concludes in the video of abstaining of any form of touch any another apart from your husband or wife . The kiss and handshake was also known well enough in the Greco-Roman world as a warm expression of greeting and friendship. Gambling man I do expect every shekel from your pocket : )

P90, I'm not sure where you got the idea I ever said that no touch should be allowed. The dude in the video, and I myself, spoke about men to women who are not their spouse. Just wanted to make that clear.

MM

MM I clearly understood your words well enough. And yes it’s always wise to be prudent but do remember what others may use as licentiousness was never seen as such in the New Testament nor by the secular world until perhaps the present day where things have changed much. The Rabbi, yourself and others have the right not to touched, hugged or kissed by others if you not like. But for others of clear conscious we have no problem with it. We find no such such demands in our New Testament. Be it a cuddle a holy kiss or a handshake towards others. This has always been as culturally acceptable path of warmth and fraternity and unity.

P90, again, this topic simply points out that a man, especially a married man, touching and engaging in deep conversation with a woman not his wife is a potential entry of the enemy to try and gain a foothold for sin. That's it. I did not say man who are strangers to one another cannot nor should not shake hands. There are exceptions to that, but I will not get into that. Please read what I actually said.

As to what Clement said or thought, that is not of any consequence whatsoever.

MM

I did not say man who are strangers to one another cannot nor should not shake hands. There are exceptions to that, but I will not get into that.
This is a thought provoking thread.

I did have occasion to shake hands with women occasionally in a business setting and nothing sinful resulted. However, elsewhere, in casual circumstances, it would seem a bit strange and perhaps even creepy and certainly could be misinterpreted.

There is a definite line crossed between a polite, “Hello, nice to meet you.” and flirting, and I believe most people know and understand the difference intuitively.

Forgive me Musicmaster, all the posts on the the propriety of the handshake between sexes reminded me of this cartoon warning of the dangers of interspecies handshakes and the consequences of a resulting misinterpretation.

I do believe that is rtm3039, also known as X-ray in the cartoon.

055EEF2C-6F88-439B-BA4D-74D7C7D9FCA2.jpeg

P90, I'm not sure where you got the idea I ever said that no touch should be allowed. The dude in the video, and I myself, spoke about men to women who are not their spouse. Just wanted to make that clear.

MM
I did mention that as well in my previous posts. We have no such regulations against people who not be our spouses to do so. Be that with a handshake a holy kiss or a embrace. It’s been common practice to do so. Be that amongst the secular or Christian world.

P90, again, this topic simply points out that a man, especially a married man, touching and engaging in deep conversation with a woman not his wife is a potential entry of the enemy to try and gain a foothold for sin. That's it. I did not say man who are strangers to one another cannot nor should not shake hands. There are exceptions to that, but I will not get into that. Please read what I actually said.

As to what Clement said or thought, that is not of any consequence whatsoever.
MM this is just not true men and woman have deep conversations all the time. Be that with our husbands or wives or with others. If you want to add every potential point of entry for sin to not blossom we may as well not leave our homes actually it’s a bit late for that for it be our inherited nature.. Now the reality be that there be no such law restricting others from embracing giving holy kisses or hand greetings be they from your husband or be they from others. Again it’s a commonly known practice throughout the church all the way back to the Greco-Roman world. You than say what Clement said or thought be of no consequence. I guess you would hold the varying thoughts and practices from the rest of the church in the same contempt too. . And yet you instruct us that we should listen to a Christ rejecting Jewish Rabbi on how the Holy Church should conduct herself. Now you did ask everyone what they thought of the video. To me the video be a reproach upon Christian liberty and a downward spiral back to the bondage of legalities.

Someone sounds a bit legalistic.

I am kind of tired of the 'barrage' of legalistic posts on this forum sorry. Why can't we talk of more positive topics. It's depressing. Otherwise I'll just go somewhere else and leave you to argue amongst yourselves.

If OP is somehow joining with the Messianic Jews and they are going on and on about their kosher practices 'Thank God I am not born a woman' as some orthodox Jews proclaim, loudly....I think he's in the wrong crowd.

If you want complete purdah, become a Muslim.

MM this is just not true men and woman have deep conversations all the time. Be that with our husbands or wives or with others. If you want to add every potential point of entry for sin to not blossom we may as well not leave our homes actually it’s a bit late for that for it be our inherited nature.. Now the reality be that there be no such law restricting others from embracing giving holy kisses or hand greetings be they from your husband or be they from others. Again it’s a commonly known practice throughout the church all the way back to the Greco-Roman world. You than say what Clement said or thought be of no consequence. I guess you would hold the varying thoughts and practices from the rest of the church in the same contempt too. . And yet you instruct us that we should listen to a Christ rejecting Jewish Rabbi on how the Holy Church should conduct herself. Now you did ask everyone what they thought of the video. To me the video be a reproach upon Christian liberty and a downward spiral back to the bondage of legalities.

Idealizing another's position on any topic in relation to some extreme that the other never even suggested is a tactical practice that I find highly questionable. It begs the question as to motive, and it completely misrepresents the theme entirely.

MM

Yes It’s not really about who’s right and wrong in a legal sense but more about our own personal demeanour toward the opposite sex in our communications and I think the OP is asking us ( especially men) to consider the implications of personal boundaries to those of us who know what is/ could be possible when we discard them.

Then again, if we know ourselves fully immune and are always guarded that we consider it impossible to grow more than just platonic with someone then Amen and hats off to you.

Prim90 you have great tree eyes But maybe it’s time to look at the woods here on this one?

Just my 2 cent regarding how this thread is panning out…

Godbless everyone ❤

I did mention that as well in my previous posts. We have no such regulations against people who not be our spouses to do so. Be that with a handshake a holy kiss or a embrace. It’s been common practice to do so. Be that amongst the secular or Christian world.

The bearded dude likely also has conversations with women not his spouse, but they are without handshaking, and cordial. Yes. Yes. I also had no problem with that.

You see, my purpose in posting this thread is that give heightened awareness of the things we do out or tradition and/or habit, without realizing the footholds we can sometimes give to the enemy of our souls. Perhaps not everyone here is as strong as you and me.

For example, there are guys I have known who hug every woman, frontally, they ever have a chance to hug...explaining it all away as being their personality. If I ever hug another woman not my wife, such as a family member, I do it from the side, never frontally. A stranger, no. Never frontally when I can avoid it. Your cultural traditions where you are, I have no idea, and am not going to comment on that. I know that, for myself, when I was much younger, I had the deep-seated desire to hug any and all girls possible in the hopes that something would come of it. There are, perhaps, other men here who have had such a past, and I'm not looking for confessions here. I don't wear a white collar, sitting in a dark closet, hearing all the sordid garbage from other people's lives so that they can go away with a warm fuzzie.

I too am a warm and loving man who would enjoy hugging any and all others, but have chosen to abstain from that once powerful foothold the fallen angels had in my life.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

James gave sage advice, but he is not advising that we invite temptations, and that is what captured my heart and mind in that the bearded dude said. It resonated with me.

2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

You see? The Lord sends men like the bearded dude to help strengthen and uplift us who have suffered even from past improprieties of desire. I protect against those through abstaining from contact that I seem inappropriate for my marital status right now.

Is it wrong for me to not want my wife to frontally hug another man not of her family? No. There is no reason for her to casually hug a man who is a stranger. He can show his gratitude and appreciations through words.

If you personally don't see the potential for the appearance and/or the very presence of evil by way of tradition and allowance, then you are living a life of your own choosing. We are not all of the same mind as you or as myself. We all have our own experiences, and I concede that to all others. I never said everyone here should follow suit. All I have encouraged is heightened awareness for the POTENTIAL for evil to gain a foothold, and/or for there even being the APPEARANCE of such.

Now, I hope we can dispense with the extremes, and get back to the proper balance of what I actually have said.

MM

Yes It’s not really about who’s right and wrong in a legal sense but more about our own personal demeanour toward the opposite sex in our communications and I think the OP is asking us ( especially men) to consider the implications of personal boundaries to those of us who know what is/ could be possible when we discard them.

Then again, if we know ourselves fully immune and are always guarded that we consider it impossible to grow more than just platonic with someone then Amen and hats off to you.

Prim90 you have great tree eyes But maybe it’s time to look at the woods here on this one?

Just my 2 cent regarding how this thread is panning out…

Godbless everyone ❤

Via, you absolutely have grasped the core of my words. Thank you.

MM

I am Cuban and live in South Florida. The hugging and "cheek kiss" are a normal greeting among friends and close associates. We do it at church all the time, regardless of gender. There is one lady, she is a custodian at the church, who gives great hugs. These hugs are frontal and last a bit longer than most. When she hugs you, she means it and, to be honest with you, they make my day.

I really thought that, after COVID, the handshake was over. Thankfully, it did not turn out that way. I hate the fist-bump and can tell a great deal about a person with a firm handshake. It is a little weird feeling to shake hands with a woman firmly, so that usually turns into a brief holding of each other's hands and placing the other hand on top.

I get the whole germ thing, but it is just odd. My boss walks around with a piece of paper towel in his hand to open doors. If you come up on him after he washed his hands, he will not shake hands. Personally, I think we have taken this germ thing a bit too far, but I get it.

I am Cuban and live in South Florida. The hugging and "cheek kiss" are a normal greeting among friends and close associates. We do it at church all the time, regardless of gender. There is one lady, she is a custodian at the church, who gives great hugs. These hugs are frontal and last a bit longer than most. When she hugs you, she means it and, to be honest with you, they make my day.

I really thought that, after COVID, the handshake was over. Thankfully, it did not turn out that way. I hate the fist-bump and can tell a great deal about a person with a firm handshake. It is a little weird feeling to shake hands with a woman firmly, so that usually turns into a brief holding of each other's hands and placing the other hand on top.

I get the whole germ thing, but it is just odd. My boss walks around with a piece of paper towel in his hand to open doors. If you come up on him after he washed his hands, he will not shake hands. Personally, I think we have taken this germ thing a bit too far, but I get it.
Man....You make me wish i'd have grown up in Cuba.
😁

I do a handhold or a press or a high five rather than a shake shake shake!

If you want me to have a shake, why not do a haka instead. Or give me a milkshake.

Maybe men do it with each other because later on they might really want to challenge each other to an arm wrestle and are just testing each other out.

I don't get the fist bump either.

Come on there must be other ways of gentle touch that don't involved shaking and bumping each other. How about tickle?

Here in my country there's a tradition to kiss three times on the cheek when you greet a family member you haven't seen in a very long period of time. 😗

Frontal hug for me is very meaningful. For very special people. 🫂 I'm not "hug-able" person and with my strong boundaries I don't see a reason to hug strangers just to hug. I'm not "free hugs" lady. ⛔

I mostly wave hello / goodbye 👋🏽

When a man touches a woman and she didn't invite him - is she allowed to smack him?

Unwanted intimate touching is sexual assault, and it could be argued that a woman may be allowed to strike back in self defense. At the very least the man assaulting the woman should be charged as a sex offender and placed on the sex offender registry because if he touched one woman, he'll touch another despite the slap unless he is dealt with by the criminal justice system.

When a man touches a woman and she didn't invite him - is she allowed to smack him?

Unwanted intimate touching is sexual assault, and it could be argued that a woman may be allowed to strike back in self defense. At the very least the man assaulting the woman should be charged as a sex offender and placed on the sex offender registry because if he touched one woman, he'll touch another despite the slap unless he is dealt with by the criminal justice system.
yea I figured but when do you call the police?
Often they don't believe you anyway. Police officers being mostly male. Here they tend to blame the victim, as then there are some females that call the police for stuff that men don't even do just to get them away, so theres that as well.

Often the touching happens when there is no witnesses. Thats the thing with male predators, they try and get females alone. So if she says anything, the guy can say oh it never happened or it didn't happen like that or I was only joking.

Domestic violence often happens behind closed doors.

Hm. How did this go from handshakes and hugs to criminality?

Throughout the years, I have worked with people who had a serious issue with personal space and physical contact. In all cases, they kind of became social outcasts because other people just did not feel comfortable around them. I can think of three right now that really had a hard time with that and were never able to become part of "the group." Everyone has a right to their space, so no judgement. I just believe that humans are naturally social creatures who draw strength through physical contact. Have you ever noticed that when someone is scared, they want (or need) some type of physical contact?

The bearded dude likely also has conversations with women not his spouse, but they are without handshaking, and cordial. Yes. Yes. I also had no problem with that.

You see, my purpose in posting this thread is that give heightened awareness of the things we do out or tradition and/or habit, without realizing the footholds we can sometimes give to the enemy of our souls. Perhaps not everyone here is as strong as you and me.

For example, there are guys I have known who hug every woman, frontally, they ever have a chance to hug...explaining it all away as being their personality. If I ever hug another woman not my wife, such as a family member, I do it from the side, never frontally. A stranger, no. Never frontally when I can avoid it. Your cultural traditions where you are, I have no idea, and am not going to comment on that. I know that, for myself, when I was much younger, I had the deep-seated desire to hug any and all girls possible in the hopes that something would come of it. There are, perhaps, other men here who have had such a past, and I'm not looking for confessions here. I don't wear a white collar, sitting in a dark closet, hearing all the sordid garbage from other people's lives so that they can go away with a warm fuzzie.

I too am a warm and loving man who would enjoy hugging any and all others, but have chosen to abstain from that once powerful foothold the fallen angels had in my life.

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;

James gave sage advice, but he is not advising that we invite temptations, and that is what captured my heart and mind in that the bearded dude said. It resonated with me.

2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

You see? The Lord sends men like the bearded dude to help strengthen and uplift us who have suffered even from past improprieties of desire. I protect against those through abstaining from contact that I seem inappropriate for my marital status right now.

Is it wrong for me to not want my wife to frontally hug another man not of her family? No. There is no reason for her to casually hug a man who is a stranger. He can show his gratitude and appreciations through words.

If you personally don't see the potential for the appearance and/or the very presence of evil by way of tradition and allowance, then you are living a life of your own choosing. We are not all of the same mind as you or as myself. We all have our own experiences, and I concede that to all others. I never said everyone here should follow suit. All I have encouraged is heightened awareness for the POTENTIAL for evil to gain a foothold, and/or for there even being the APPEARANCE of such.

Now, I hope we can dispense with the extremes, and get back to the proper balance of what I actually have said.

MM
MM again I say to you. I don’t have the right to judge a handshake a embrace or a kiss which has been a accepted practice by the church and a custom of many nations from ancient times. If you choose to abstain from such activities well that’s all good and well. But seems you want to encourage others to follow in yours and Rabbi’s footsteps, and belittle practices that have always been seen as accepted acts of Christian love and friendship by the church. You speak very much about the perils and morals of sexuality they have always been there lurking in a thousand different ways it be nothing new. But still the handshake the embrace and the holy kiss have overcome all such calamity and continue to this very day. Simply because they be a true expression of love, friendship and appreciation. And those traditions have proven themselves true over the test of time ♥️ .

Back