Don't waste your education

It just means maybe you just dont know what your life journey is going to be and where its going to take you. But im sure everything you learn will be useful to some extent. Even if you dont think so or cant see it right now. God is directing these steps and its not always as straight forward as people think. Nowadays people are mulittalented and cant be boxed into one type of career. As christians we are called to use our talents for His purposes, so, nothing is wasted.

Its the people study to be pastors or minister straight from high school that are actually most at disadvantage because what have they experienced of life or hardship if theyve never had a job or been poor etc. How can they relate to people? Who have been through unemployment, disappointment or had family issues? They might just be studying because thats what their parents did and expect of them, and they get immediately appointed on the strength of their family name or alma mater. I dont think its like that anymore but people cant realistically expect to go straight into a job once they graduate now. Since there so many graduates and no positions and they all require experience which graduates dont have. Catch 22

One aspect of schooling thats becoming normal is having a gap year in between high school and university to travel or do volunteer work.

University can be quite demanding and tough and nowadays its more crammed in the timetable than ever, so some people actually need a year out to recover from highschool and prepare them for university. It is a commitment no doubt about that, and you succeed or fail depending on the work you put in.

I didnt have much clue on what to expect at university since my parents never went and only just went to primary and left cos they had to work. But the thing I like about university is your freedom to learn and choose papers that interest you.,.theres so many on offer and some on topics you had never heard of that study it in depth. So even within say english...theres so much to learn. English literature is a vast topic. Within literature itself you can study separate papers on essays, drama, childrens literature, poetry, novels...great for learning history through literature. No doubt in the future they will have papers on what is now pop culture like tv sitcoms on the 80s in things like media studies.

Some people think learning from the past is useless but actually it is all valuable because even our Bible is an ancient document that we can study in context. And if you dont know Gods history you dont really know your family history as Hes adopted you. And He wants you to know it so you can talk about Him to anyone else, your children, and, well..even just in general conversation.

This happens all the time. I know a "bouncer" that has a degree in journalism. My pastor has a law degree, but, after passing the Florida bar, got the calling, returned to school for a master's in Divinity, and is now the lead pastor at our church. Like I said before, I have three masters and am employed in a position that only requires a bachelor's degree.

Go figure.

Hello rtm3039;

God bless you for your studies and accomplishments! Your current job may only require a degree but what's beautiful is you completed your 3 masters! Congratulations!

Speaking of education, I'm in the thick of my mid-terms. My study is the Epistles to the Romans. Please keep me in your prayers.

God bless
you all and your families.

Hello rtm3039;

God bless you for your studies and accomplishments! Your current job may only require a degree but what's beautiful is you completed your 3 masters! Congratulations!

Speaking of education, I'm in the thick of my mid-terms. My study is the Epistles to the Romans. Please keep me in your prayers.

God bless
you all and your families.
I sure will, my brother. I am working on 2 James right now, but only on my own.

Bless you back.

rtm3039

Am hoping to finish my business certificate and project management by the end of November.

Its been a bit full on.

Next year am going to do some more PD on school libraries, possibly online or a block course. hopefully the school will pay for it... its good to refresh.

Otherwise Im hoping to get back into to small group Bible Study each week.

Im just always learning. When you are a reader, learning becomes lifelong. It doesnt matter if you master more than one subject..you might only use discipline reguarly, but the things is, you dont really lose what you learned.

For example. If you learned journalism, you have writing skills. One day you could write a book on any topic because you already have the practice and disicpline of writing already. It could be something creative.

If you master any topic you could also write a book about it, if you dont have writing skills you need to collaborate with a good editor or a ghost writer. Everyone has a book in them. I was editing a novel for someone who had a great story but was terrible at sentence structure. So its rare that everyone is good at everything. We all need helpers.

I had the opposite of a pastor going to law school, not sure why, but he wanted to learn law. Sometimes I do think some pastors like the sound of their own voice and they want to argue things, or maybe they want to get into social justice and need to find out what the laws are affecting peoples lives. Nothing is stopping anyone from learning something new that will only add to their knowledge and help them in whatever God wants them to do.

You dont just learn one thing and then stop. Those days are long gone!

The course I registered for they said wasnt happening...
But the new thing I want to learn is mosaics.

If I cant learn it at an evening class in school, I might be able to find some books about it and learn it although I do need somewhere to actually do it. Art does require resources and a room to be creative. Thats why dedicated artists have studios.

Some of the best mosaics that have lasted through the centuries are christian mosaics. Theres also stained glass, which churches dont really do anymore, but I think they are beautiful, much better than a painting. You can see the light shining through.

I am reluctant to post what my education is. I just do not feel as though it would be helpful to anyone and experience has taught me that in some cases it can be used against you by those who are jealous or just do not like you for one reason or another. I can say that I have learned a lot of stuff in my life, but the best thing I have learned is that I am a sinner and God still loves me anyway. So much so that He gave up His Son to pay for my sins so I could be with Him in heaven. Every thing else is just snow on the mountain top.

Hello Major;

I read your post to this topic and understand what you are sharing. I don't need to know your educational profile because you bring so much wisdom of the Bible, ministry and application from your many years of pastoring the church - PEOPLE. You show your love and light here in the forums.

I know there have been disagreements in some posts, including my posts (though I cannot recall our specific topic) but that doesn't take away your light.

In the time I have known you, I can see God is first and gives you reassurance in your life. You minister to me, brother.

Please keep doing what you do here, you are loved and thank you for being a part of the Christian Forum Site family.

God bless
you and your family, Pastor.

Hello Major;

I read your post to this topic and understand what you are sharing. I don't need to know your educational profile because you bring so much wisdom of the Bible, ministry and application from your many years of pastoring the church - PEOPLE. You show your love and light here in the forums.

I know there have been disagreements in some posts, including my posts (though I cannot recall our specific topic) but that doesn't take away your light.

In the time I have known you, I can see God is first and gives you reassurance in your life. You minister to me, brother.

Please keep doing what you do here, you are loved and thank you for being a part of the Christian Forum Site family.

God bless
you and your family, Pastor.

That is a very nice thing to say brother and I appreciate it. All anyone can do is what God allows them to do. He has been really, really good to me and now that age has crept in, along with aches and pains of life, He has allowed me to use a computer to impart some of God's truth and grace.

Believe me when I say that I am nothing more than an old country boy from the Promised Land (Alabama).

Now just exactly who do I make the check out to?????;)

Did you know that, originally, it was not known as Ivy League, but as IV League. This is because there were originally only 4 schools (Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Dartmouth).

And...……..how many of us know that those now very "Liberal" anti God institutions were the ones to teach PREACHERS to go out west and spread the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and almost every Ivy League school was established primarily to train ministers of the gospel.

It is etched today in the entry way to Harvard Yard:

“After God had carried us safely to New England, and we had built our houses, provided necessaries for our livelihood, reared convenient places for God’s worship, and settled the civil government; one of the next things we longed for, and looked after was to advance learning, and perpetuate it to posterity; dreading to leave an illiterate ministry to the churches, when our present ministers shall lie in the dust.”

Harvard’s “Rules and Precepts adopted in 1646 included the following essentials:......…..
1). “Every one shall consider the main end of his life and studies to know God and Jesus Christ which is eternal life.
2). " Seeing the Lord giveth wisdom, every one shall seriously by prayer in secret seek wisdom of Him.
3). "Every one shall so exercise himself in reading the Scriptures twice a day that they be ready to give an account of their proficiency therein, both in theoretical observations of languages and logic, and in practical and spiritual truths….”!

Who knew????

Yes Harvard used to be a Christian insitutuon. But many universities has lost their faith aspect and become big businesses sadly.

The college up the road from me used to be called the Bible College of New zealand but they changed the name to Laidlaw, not sure why, maybe they just wanted to expand their teaching into other things apart from ministry. They now offer courses in teaching and counselling, and social practice.

Robert Laidlaw was a businessman who founded the Farmers department store originally called the Farmers trading company. He became a christian and used the profits from his business to create a Bible college, and he would go round preaching and spreading the gospel.

I know several people studying there and some say its good and others have had mixed experiences. They have recently busted down their student flats and sold off their land to build a retirement village. I go to the free university/wangana next door.

One day I will get round to attending their free public lectures ...its funny theres a former Bible college on my doorstep and yet God never had me go there to study. Maybe cos it cost so much to do their courses and its now so liberal and watered down....

Only a few more weeks to go and I will be graduating!!! On the last module.

Am quite excited because after that I will be free and wont have to say to my friends I cant go (to anything) cos I got class. Lol

Some people dont understand that others want to learn something new and arent free to play and muck around all the time. There are people that LOVE school and others that hate it, but I think it depends on what you learning in school, if you not learning anything new then it is a bit of a waste of time to go. And you attitude.

Can you imagine if you never went to school and just stayed home doing nothing or worked as slave as that was the only job you could do cos you werent educated enough to learn or do anything else?!

Only a few more weeks to go and I will be graduating!!! On the last module.

Am quite excited because after that I will be free and wont have to say to my friends I cant go (to anything) cos I got class. Lol

Some people dont understand that others want to learn something new and arent free to play and muck around all the time. There are people that LOVE school and others that hate it, but I think it depends on what you learning in school, if you not learning anything new then it is a bit of a waste of time to go. And you attitude.

Can you imagine if you never went to school and just stayed home doing nothing or worked as slave as that was the only job you could do cos you werent educated enough to learn or do anything else?!
I get your point, but I am pretty sure that there are few jobs available under the category of "slave."

rtm3039

I get your point, but I am pretty sure that there are few jobs available under the category of "slave."

rtm3039
They just call it a different name, it still means you in bondage to someone who tells you what to do and doesnt care about your wellbeing.

I am learning some Chinese words. Thanks mum.
That is my new course, reading chinese/english picture books and dictionaries and building up my vocab.

So when I next go to the chinese supermarket, I can actually read some of the writing lol. Always useful to know. And no they never taught Chinese at school when I was growing up, which is why my chinese is at baby-level.

Schools set to open next week where I am, at level 3 alert but not expecting many children to return. They are only up to year 10. (14 years).
My principal has decreed the library and reception areas to be shut, so I will just go to get some resources and then continue to work from home. More time to read!!!

I have some library online courses to get on with books to review, and also Bible study.

The good thing about the virus thing is, parents are now teaching their children. I always thought parents (or grandparents) ought to be the first teachers.

I am learning some Chinese words. Thanks mum.
That is my new course, reading chinese/english picture books and dictionaries and building up my vocab.

So when I next go to the chinese supermarket, I can actually read some of the writing lol. Always useful to know. And no they never taught Chinese at school when I was growing up, which is why my chinese is at baby-level.

I attempted to learn Chinese while doing my TEFL course. It was to show us, how learning a completely different language can be difficult, and to appreciate problems that some students will face. Luckily, I teach/taught! mainly European students, who at least have the same alphabet to work from. But Chinese was a whole different thing. Even counting 1 2 3 was a challenge. My pronunciation was diabolical, everything was a nightmare. And, the teacher did not speak any English at all during the class.

After one class, I caught her having a smoke in the car park, and asked her about her life. She was English/Chinese, spoke both fluently, because of her Chinese parents, and found the whole thing hysterical, but did confess that her writing of the Chinese language was practically non-existent.

So, hats off to you Lanolin, for learning Chinese. It is a totally different language, with totally confusing 'symbols'. Really, really difficult!

You basically have to memorise thousands of different characters...lol. You aren't given much clue in pronounciation, although thankfully, each character is just one syllable.

Yea english is a piece of cake compared to Chinese.
My sister spoke only Chinese before she went to school and then lost it all cos nobody spoke it there.
I was constantly told by my grandparents to speak more chinese, but I just couldn't even learn it even though I was young and ought to have picked it up like a sponge. Its only because my mum would scold me in chinese so if I didn't speak back I could just claim I didn't understand it at all. lol

I learned more Americanese when I had to do keywording for a company that had American clients...and they use completely different words to English. I thought why are they getting NZers to do their keywording? Why not employ americans to do it? But no, it was because we are cheap labour for them.

Here in NZ most schools are set to reopen from Monday.

!! I know some of the high school students really want to go back. Well those who may be an only child and missing their peers. Some probably are quite happy having homeschool.

Back