Don't waste your education

Wow school is a lot quieter and manageable with half the children back.
Wish it was always like this...or we need more teachers and classrooms. Maybe it could be a weekly basis, half the school one week, the other half the next???

I’m not university educated.
I wasnt brought up to study, or to find education important.
But I like reading A Lot! I was top of the class in reading and writing.
I could sit in a library for years and not get bored.
But, I never found anything that interested enough to want to take anything furthe career wise.. Or I liked so many subjects that I was overwhelmed with indecision.

But one things for sure..
The bible is the best book IVe read and I just keep on going back to it.

This happens all the time. I know a "bouncer" that has a degree in journalism. My pastor has a law degree, but, after passing the Florida bar, got the calling, returned to school for a master's in Divinity, and is now the lead pastor at our church. Like I said before, I have three masters and am employed in a position that only requires a bachelor's degree.

Go figure.

I will say that we never know when God will call us. I also had a Masters in Business Admin. when I got the call to preach and went back to further my education.

I ofetn wondered why God placed me in the U.S. Army when He did and now I Thank God for the VA benefits!!!!

I know a lot of people who went into the army/defence forces for the free tertiary education.
Worth it because it can be quite expensive.

I could have gone into it and worked in the Defence Library but you do need to have quite a passion for military history. Heaps of information to classify and archives to look after.

If your employer values you they will reimburse or pay you for PD - professional development.
Some employers aren't so generous though, I recall teachers and social workers had to pay through the nose just to keep their registration. One of my teacher friends quit on principle, as they weren't paying her enough to cover the cost of the course they required her to do.
Then after a year they reversed that decision and made the registration costs and course free!

I know a lot of people who went into the army/defence forces for the free tertiary education.
Worth it because it can be quite expensive.

I could have gone into it and worked in the Defence Library but you do need to have quite a passion for military history. Heaps of information to classify and archives to look after.

If your employer values you they will reimburse or pay you for PD - professional development.
Some employers aren't so generous though, I recall teachers and social workers had to pay through the nose just to keep their registration. One of my teacher friends quit on principle, as they weren't paying her enough to cover the cost of the course they required her to do.
Then after a year they reversed that decision and made the registration costs and course free!

It has been said that the phenomenal advances in the US during the period after WWII was made because while the mainland was largely unscathed by war (bombing, invasion, etc) the GI bill which paid for college and vocational education for the returning soldiers created a pool of engineers and educated workers.

While i do not feel that a traditional college degree is necessarily a great thing (too many leave college with too high debt while unable to find a job in their field of study), having a population with technical training and is a prerequisite in today's world for industrial success.

It has been said that the phenomenal advances in the US during the period after WWII was made because while the mainland was largely unscathed by war (bombing, invasion, etc) the GI bill which paid for college and vocational education for the returning soldiers created a pool of engineers and educated workers.

While i do not feel that a traditional college degree is necessarily a great thing (too many leave college with too high debt while unable to find a job in their field of study), having a population with technical training and is a prerequisite in today's world for industrial success.

Amen...….ask any plumber, electrician or car mechanic!!!!!!

They are called apprenticeships.
When they were done away with, the result was shoddy buildings and cowboy operators.
It really disturbed me that we had such shoddy workmanship after our govt made that decision and as a consequence, leaky buildings, pike river mine disaster, cave creek etc. People had inadequate training or NO training to do the work they were assigned to do.

Public Libraries initially came about as places to educate workers since formal education was denied them. They called them 'mechanics libraries'
I worked in a University Engineering Library (my first job) and I had to look after the NZ Standards. They were updated periodically. It was a shame that for some stupid reason they were not made more accessible as if more had consulted them there would be less shoddiness and bad quality work accepted. But the NZ standards made it a rule nobody was allowed to photocopy them...and they were super expensive for just a few sheets of paper. That's like saying you aren't allowed to read the Bible and distribute it, you need permission to even read it.

And when globalisation happened, NZ standards went out the window...but if you built a house to say British Standard or any other country, it's not gong to stand up to NZ climate and conditions. Leaky buildings happened because of the fad or fashion for windows without flashings. Ok in a mediterranean dry climate but a very idiotic idea in rainy, humid Auckland.

My graduation certificate came in the mail today...I have now got two for small business and a library certificate of a course I've just completed online also was sent to me (except it has to be printed off).
I guess there's no graduation ceremony lol.

I don't put them on the wall but in a folder of certificates. Nobody ever really sees them except for me, but if an employer ever asks I do have them.

Just to add the problem isn't education.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being educated.
The only thing is how expensive it can be.

I am quite tired of people saying people shouldn't be educated because its putting people in debt. If that was the reasoning, then nobody but the very rich could afford to be educated and we would all be ignorant.

Rich people often say the most outrageous things to put people down as lesser than they are. If a poor person is educated that somehow threatens them. Jesus educated his disciples himself. He didn't make them pay for it.

Was thinking on this topic, would like your thoughts.
I did not understand this at the time, but now i fully understand this saying. Do not waste education, because it is important for life development. I took English 3 times (At school, college, and then another college) and the best i could do was obtain a D+, I obtained a C+ in maths though, which is good.

Back