Durian the fruit you either love or hate

oh we call it 'joong' I could never get the zh spelling.

I have been out several times to yum cha lately with family.

It's funny that certain foods will be quite smelly and offputting for some people, yet others won't think anything of it.

I don't really like the smell of pork or bacon, but for others they will be salivating when they smell it.
Curry and shellfish are also quite strong smelling, I don't mind the smell, yet others think it's too strong. In self-catering motels there are signs banning the cooking of curries and shellfish!

If I walk round the neighbourhood around dinner time I can sometimes smell a meaty fragrance thats I imagine is mince or something.

Roast lamb is another. KFC and freshly roasted coffee are also foods that you smell from far away.

Durian is probably the strongest smelling fruit I have come across.
Not sure I have ever seen a Durian, but we have something called a "Jack Fruit." It smells pretty awful. The fruit ha this milk-like fluid that is really sticky. The yellow pods; however, taste like vanilla and pineapple.

Jackfruit-2-450w_450x.jpg
How can anyone not like the smell of bacon cooking? We do not eat bacon very often, but the wife cook it once in a while and it usually wakes me up in a really good mood. .

People like what they life. I am one of the few people that like anchovies. An anchovy and pineapple pizza is the only type of pizza I eat. However, it keeps getting harder and harder to find places that have anchovies :(

Usually, I have to order the pineapple pizza and add the anchovies myself

Not sure I have ever seen a Durian, but we have something called a "Jack Fruit." It smells pretty awful. The fruit ha this milk-like fluid that is really sticky. The yellow pods; however, taste like vanilla and pineapple.

View attachment 5679
How can anyone not like the smell of bacon cooking? We do not eat bacon very often, but the wife cook it once in a while and it usually wakes me up in a really good mood. .

People like what they life. I am one of the few people that like anchovies. An anchovy and pineapple pizza is the only type of pizza I eat. However, it keeps getting harder and harder to find places that have anchovies :(

Usually, I have to order the pineapple pizza and add the anchovies myself
I tasted an anchovy for the 1st time month.
I thought I bought sardines in a tin. They turned out to be salty fishes.
I didn’t like them but if they wasn’t as salty I would have. I tried washing the salt off but it didn’t work. And the cat wouldn’t eat them either😖

Depends what kind of bacon.
Some bacon just smells terrible and it's all watery and full of nitrates and chemicals. I am very put off by that kind of bacon.

I had never eaten one until I met my wife. To me it tastes a little like a fresh banana pudding.

cp
LOL Did she make you eat it . My wife is always trying to get me to try new things . I have all but lost my sense of smell and taste . Geting me to eat banana slugs Inside a hedgehog. I would take a rain check .

LOL Did she make you eat it . My wife is always trying to get me to try new things . I have all but lost my sense of smell and taste . Geting me to eat banana slugs Inside a hedgehog. I would take a rain check .

No I happily volunteered. I've always enjoyed trying new things and discovered I like it. Along with many other things over the years. Now stinky tofu will never again get past my lips, but fermented tofu on the other hand is wonderful.

Sorry to hear that you have lost much of your sense of smell and taste, they are very much linked together and are so much apart of the eating experience.

Durian appears to be an acquired taste like kimchee or Limburger cheese.

I enjoy Kimchee, but limburger cheese is one of the few cheeses that I just don't like.

In both the case of durian and kimchee, I liked them after the first bite. That doesn't mean that for many it isn't an acquired taste.

How about vegemite or marmite. That is a taste that is kinda acquired, like blue vein cheese.

Although I think parmesan cheese is a bit strong smelling.

How about vegemite or marmite. That is a taste that is kinda acquired, like blue vein cheese.

I've never had either. Not sure what you mean by "blue vain cheese," but I do like the taste of blue cheese. I also like the smell of parmesan cheese.

I like liver mostly for the same reason most people do not like liver (it's texture). I do not eat it often, but I do like it. I really like chicken liver, but that is hard to find.

Rtm

Never heard of either as well, but I love all forms of blue cheese. Some are much stronger than others but that's ok. Parmesan is great as well.

Can't remember the name of the cheese that tastes like evaporated milk. It's very intense and I just don't like it.

What do people think of garlic?

It's never bothered me, but some people seem to hate it.
I love garlic bread and onions add a nice taste to most savoury dishes, as do garlic chives.

I agree it does leave a taste in your mouth after you've eaten it, but I don't think it's terribly off putting.

I love garlic. I love the taste and especially the smell of it, when cooking. My wife uses it on almost everything. It is also good for you.
  • Garlic May Help Lower Blood Pressure.
  • Garlic May Help Quell Inflammation.
  • Garlic May Help Lower Cholesterol.
  • Garlic May Support Immune Function.
  • Garlic May Reduce Blood Clotting.
  • Garlic Provides a Host of Antioxidants.

I love garlic and a great number of other foods. For me food can be an adventure and I love to try many things. There are only a few foods that I wouldn't at least try. Of course there are some things I have tried that fall in the category of never again and some foods that I might eat with reluctance if it was all that was available to eat.

If durian was cheaper here, we would eat regularly. We just recently harvested our garlic and look forward to many meals made from the garlic harvest. The shallots need to come up as well. I'm closely watching the various hot peppers we planted hoping they grow well this year.

What do people think of garlic?

It's never bothered me, but some people seem to hate it.
I love garlic bread and onions add a nice taste to most savoury dishes, as do garlic chives.

I agree it does leave a taste in your mouth after you've eaten it, but I don't think it's terribly off putting.
I love garlic. I love the taste and especially the smell of it, when cooking. My wife uses it on almost everything. It is also good for you.
  • Garlic May Help Lower Blood Pressure.
  • Garlic May Help Quell Inflammation.
  • Garlic May Help Lower Cholesterol.
  • Garlic May Support Immune Function.
  • Garlic May Reduce Blood Clotting.
  • Garlic Provides a Host of Antioxidants.

I love garlic and agree with all the above. To me garlic is a miracle food.

When I was younger my Dad told me to be tough, take a clove and pop in my mouth, chew it then swallow. Man, it burned but I could do it.

Years later, forget that! I can mix it with my food and take them in supplements daily.

L😎L!

Back