Evidence That Only The Sins Prior To Conversion Are Forgiven

Jesus’ precious blood cleanses ONLY those sins committed BEFORE being born-again!

God’s new covenant righteousness – justified by grace through faith

Romans 3 (NKJV):
21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed,
being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets (i.e. the OT),
22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ,
to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith,
to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance
God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness,
that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

KJV … the remission of sins that are past
NASB … He passed over the sins previously committed
NIV … he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished
AMP … He had passed over and ignored former sins without punishment
ESV … he had passed over former sins
ASV … the passing over of the sins done aforetime
CEB … in passing over sins that happened before
CJB … he had passed over the sins people had committed in the past
LEB … the passing over of previously committed sins
Aramaic … for the sake of our sins which we had formerly sinned
Darby … the passing by the sins that had taken place before
GoodNews … the forgiveness of the sins that are passed
Message … finally taking care of the sins he had so patiently endured
Phillips … the wiping out of the sins of the past
Websters … for the remission of sins that are past
Weymouth … the passing over of the sins previously committed
Youngs … the passing over of the bygone sins

How to take care of our post-conversion sins

Proverbs 28:13 “He who covers his sins will not prosper,
but whoever confesses and forsakesthemwill have mercy.”

Some things just don’t change, do they!

1 John 2:1
“And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

1 John 1:7
"If we walk in the light as He is in the light,we have fellowship with one another,
and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”

1 John 1:9
“If we confess (and repent of) our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Jesus’ precious blood cleanses ONLY those sins committed BEFORE being born-again!

God’s new covenant righteousness – justified by grace through faith

Romans 3 (NKJV):
21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed,
being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets (i.e. the OT),
22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ,
to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith,
to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance
God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness,
that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

KJV … the remission of sins that are past
NASB … He passed over the sins previously committed
NIV … he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished
AMP … He had passed over and ignored former sins without punishment
ESV … he had passed over former sins
ASV … the passing over of the sins done aforetime
CEB … in passing over sins that happened before
CJB … he had passed over the sins people had committed in the past
LEB … the passing over of previously committed sins
Aramaic … for the sake of our sins which we had formerly sinned
Darby … the passing by the sins that had taken place before
GoodNews … the forgiveness of the sins that are passed
Message … finally taking care of the sins he had so patiently endured
Phillips … the wiping out of the sins of the past
Websters … for the remission of sins that are past
Weymouth … the passing over of the sins previously committed
Youngs … the passing over of the bygone sins

How to take care of our post-conversion sins

Proverbs 28:13 “He who covers his sins will not prosper,
but whoever confesses and forsakesthemwill have mercy.”

Some things just don’t change, do they!

1 John 2:1
“And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

1 John 1:7
"If we walk in the light as He is in the light,we have fellowship with one another,
and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.”

1 John 1:9
“If we confess (and repent of) our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

Hello, I'm not sure exactly where your coming from on this particular thread, do you believe that once your saved, your sins cannot forgiven?

Hello, after being born-again your NEW sins need to be confessed and repented of.
Please see the last section of the OP.
You got a problem...:eek:

1Jo 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

Last edited:
This thread topic reminds me of the same topic sermons Pastor John Corner would deliver. :)

1 John 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Pulpit Commentary

Verses 9-12. - Sin is absolutely incompatible with being born of God, as is shown by the presence or absence of brotherly love. Verse 9. - Having stated that every one that doeth sin is of the devil, St. John now states the opposite truth, but from the other side; not "every one that doeth no sin is of God," which hardly needs to be stated; but every one that is begotten of God doeth no sin, which is startling. Who, then, can be begotten of God? But the statement is similar to that in verse 6, and is to be similarly understood. So far as any man sins, his regeneration is incomplete. If the new birth from God were perfect, sin would be morally impossible οὐ δύναται ἁμαρτεῖν. The new principle of life abides and grows in him, and, under perfect conditions, it entirely prevents the old unregenerate nature from rebelling. Note that St. John does not say οὐ δύναται ἁμαρτεῖν," cannot commit a sin," but οὐ δύναται ἁμαρτάνειν, "cannot be a sinner." An act is different from a state of sin. This is an ideal to which every Christian is bound to aspire - inability to sin. But to some extent this ideal is a fact in the case of every true Christian. There are sins which to a good man are by God's grace quite impossible. The meaning of σπέρμα αὐτοῦ ἐν αὐτῷ μένει is uncertain: either (1) "His seed abideth in Him," i.e., those who are born of God abide in God; or (2) "his seed abideth in him," i.e., the new principle which he has received continues to operate in the man; or (3) "His seed abideth in him," i.e., God's quickening Gift continues to operate in the man. (For σπέρμα αὐτοῦ, in the sense of "those born of God," comp. Isaiah 53:10.) But this is the least probable of the three interpretations; in this sense St. John would probably have written τέκνον. Note the tense of the concluding verb, γεγέννηται, not ἐγεννήθη: his birth from God is a fact which still continues, not one that is past and gone.

Ro 4:7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

Heb 10:1 ¶ For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.

1Jo 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

This thread topic reminds me of the same topic sermons Pastor John Corner would deliver. :)
his birth from God is a fact which still continues, not one that is past and gone.
Sure, his birth from God is a fact which still continues, and is not gone!
But, IMO because of the Scriptures, this does not guarantee heaven.
Wise Spirit-filled Christians believe that salvation is a life-long process, journey, etc.
God is not guaranteed to make overcomers out of all of His children (BACs).
But, they certainly have a much better shot at it than God's chosen people in the OT.
BACs have a new nature and the indwelling Holy Spirit.
And they have their old man (sin nature) to deal with.
And they have their free will to deal with.
And they have Satan to deal with.

How about a game of 3 against 3?
God + new nature + Holy Spirit ... vs ... old man + free will + Satan

Believe it or not, IMO free-will reigns!

Last edited:
Ro 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Ro 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
7 ¶ What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

1. But, IMO because of the Scriptures, this does not guarantee heaven.
2. Wise Spirit-filled Christians believe that salvation is a life-long process, journey, etc.
3. God is not guaranteed to make overcomers out of all of His children (BACs).
4. But, they certainly have a much better shot at it than God's chosen people in the OT.
1. Agreed. But we also need to grasp that to lose our salvation is very difficult / requires sinking to an absolute depth of evil inner intent. Shipwrecking = shipwrecking. Ship = ship, not a speed boat. Shipwrecking = turning ship completely around + sailing into stormy weathers + keeping course in the stormy weather.
2. Wise spirit filled Christians also know how ridiculously difficult / evil it is to shipwreck salvation.
3. BAC = overcomer. We don't get a revelation of Jesus is Lord 1 Cor 12:3 (become BAC's) unless we have already passed a session of God's judgment of our heart and mind Jer 17:10.
4. God is not a respecter of persons. There were many OT that walked close to God and had a heart condition on par with ours. We either have a heart after God's (like all BAC's do) or we don't.

It is our delusion that leads us to believe we have free will.

We are servants of an omniscient God who tells us he predestined our lives before the womb.

Free will is a myth.

But, IMO because of the Scriptures, this does not guarantee heaven.
Wise Spirit-filled Christians believe that salvation is a life-long process, journey, etc.
God is not guaranteed to make overcomers out of all of His children (BACs).
But, they certainly have a much better shot at it than God's chosen people in the OT.
BACs have a new nature and the indwelling Holy Spirit.
And they have their old man (sin nature) to deal with.
And they have their free will to deal with.
And they have Satan to deal with.

How about a game of 3 against 3?
God + new nature + Holy Spirit ... vs ... old man + free will + Satan

Believe it or not, IMO free-will reigns!

Nothing is unclear except to a person who thinks that his sin is unforgiven because it is new to him.
What part of go and sin no more do you not understand?

How does our new sins hold The Two Great Commands, when sin always breaks those?

How long will The King keep us at his side when we keep being a wolveshead to him and rebelling against his commands?

He says what will happen if we do.

Matthew 7:23

What part of go and sin no more do you not understand?

How does our new sins hold The Two Great Commands, when sin always breaks those?

How long will The King keep us at his side when we keep being a wolveshead to him and rebelling against his commands?

He says what will happen if we do.

Matthew 7:23

1 John 3:9
Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

It is our delusion that leads us to believe we have free will.

We are servants of an omniscient God who tells us he predestined our lives before the womb.

Free will is a myth.
Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
This is just one chapter of Paul's letters. How many do you need to see before you understand free will?
Don't get caught up in a self determined resolution. This is very plain to see if you have eyes to see.

"including the ones I had yet to commit"

And yet you said that....

YET to commit.

And now you say you cannot commit them because God is in you.

So which is it. You can and he will still forgive or you can't and there is no need?

Galatians 5:1Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another! Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
verse 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another. Why tell us this when we don't have free will?
This is just one chapter of Paul's letters. How many do you need to see before you understand free will?
Don't get caught up in a self determined resolution. This is very plain to see if you have eyes to see.

I agree it goes against ALL of The Bible to say we have no freewill.

If that were true Adam and Even would never had fallen. Because God would cause them to NOT choose to disobey.

And IF he caused them to disobey, then he is NOT god because he caused someone to sin.

The idea of loss of freewill is a direct influence of the enemy.

"including the ones I had yet to commit"

And yet you said that....

YET to commit.

And now you say you cannot commit them because God is in you.

So which is it. You can and he will still forgive or you can't and there is no need?

My flesh still sins, but my spirit is holy and cannot sin. I belong to God and always will, and my spirit has a home with him. My sins were all washed away at Calvary.

Back