Fasting

I've tried fasting but do find it hard not having a coffee or a cup of tea. And getting real hungry i need to eat or feel unwell. But seriously i would like to do it in the proper way. How often would anyone say ? And would you do in the spirit as you were praying for something but fasting instead? Do you fast for a purpose in faith for what you are perhaps fighting for in faith ?

I have completed two 7 day water and juice fasts, no solid foods. I fast one day a week from sun up to sun down. I did a lot of research first. cru.org has helpful advice. For me, it simply brought me closer to God. I vacation time for both of the seven day fasts, something I recommend if you feel led to go on a fast. I was reading "Burn Your Plow", I forget the author. In one chapter he got off topic and was telling his friend about fasting. That got me interested. I researched and prayed about it. I felt led by the Holy Spirit to do it. With His help, I did it. I was cleansed, mind, body, and spirit. The experiences are too lengthy to post hear. You will not be disappointed if you feel led to.
Thank u so much Gone. I definitely feel inspired! Do you need to spend a certain amount of time in prayer during a fast? Like more than a regular day? I pray a lot anyway..

I'm gonna check out cru,

Pray as often as you can. You should definitely pray at regular meal times, your "food" will be the word of God. I try to limit distractions, tv, social media, etc. Spend time in prayer before, during, and after the fast. I can't stress enough that you should feel led to fast.

Pray as often as you can. You should definitely pray at regular meal times, your "food" will be the word of God. I try to limit distractions, tv, social media, etc. Spend time in prayer before, during, and after the fast. I can't stress enough that you should feel led to fast.
I do :) thank u

I've tried fasting but do find it hard not having a coffee or a cup of tea. And getting real hungry i need to eat or feel unwell. But seriously i would like to do it in the proper way. How often would anyone say ? And would you do in the spirit as you were praying for something but fasting instead? Do you fast for a purpose in faith for what you are perhaps fighting for in faith ?
cru.org can answer these questions for you Sal. I had already given up caffeine (and nicotine) before fasting so withdrawals weren't a problem for me. There are remedies for that. I sometimes feel feint after breakfast so I was surprised how well I felt most of the time. There are highs and lows of course.

Thank u so much Gone. I definitely feel inspired! Do you need to spend a certain amount of time in prayer during a fast? Like more than a regular day? I pray a lot anyway..

I'm gonna check out cru,

Fasting was the act of going without food.
Mat 15:32
Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

Fasting Was a Old Testament Practice after things go bad. Normally not under good conditions.

Psa 109:24 My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness.
Est 4:3 And in every province, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.
Neh 9:1 Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them.
Joe 2:12
Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:

The Fast some say set in the Day of Atonement set in Lev 16:29-31 Some say it was never mentioned until much later. God in Isaiah said a Fast is a day he has chosen.
Isa 58:5
Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Fasting to remove devils:
Many believe as I do these verses were added by someone. Devils could care less if you starve yourself. They have some believe to be proven forgery's and should not be in scriptures. Devils have to heed the name of Jesus spoke in faith, faith in that name.

Jesus mentioned Fasting once in Matt 6:16

The disciples did not fast When Jesus was with them or even had to.

And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not?
(Mar 2:18)

And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
(Mar 2:19-20)
(Another Reason why this one go out but by prayer and Fasting thought to be a fake because they could not cast the devil out, or Fast to get the devil out as they could not fast. Yet Jesus told them it was because of their unbelief they could not cast him out.

Fasting is something we picked up from somewhere. Not scripture really because it's never mentioned to the Church. It's better to let your moderation be made known to all men, and live a fasted life.

Php 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

As the Lord Told Brother Hagin. I would rather you live a fasted life before me, not excess then to starve yourself for two days and eat like a hog after.

Be blessed.

Fasting Was a Old Testament Practice after things go bad. Normally not under good conditions.

I didn't fast because things were good. I chose to fast because my life was a wreck. I felt led to and my life and relationship with God are immeasurably better. I'm not gonna copy and paste one scripture after another to support what I know is right for me and right with God.

Fasting was the act of going without food.
Mat 15:32
Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

Psa 109:24 My knees are weak through fasting; and my flesh faileth of fatness.
Est 4:3 And in every province, whithersoever the king's commandment and his decree came, there was great mourning among the Jews, and fasting, and weeping, and wailing; and many lay in sackcloth and ashes.
Neh 9:1 Now in the twenty and fourth day of this month the children of Israel were assembled with fasting, and with sackclothes, and earth upon them.
Joe 2:12
Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning:

The Fast some say set in the Day of Atonement set in Lev 16:29-31 Some say it was never mentioned until much later. God in Isaiah said a Fast is a day he has chosen.
Isa 58:5
Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Fasting to remove devils:
Many believe as I do these verses were added by someone. Devils could care less if you starve yourself. They have some believe to be proven forgery's and should not be in scriptures. Devils have to heed the name of Jesus spoke in faith, faith in that name.

Jesus mentioned Fasting once in Matt 6:16

The disciples did not fast When Jesus was with them or even had to.

And the disciples of John and of the Pharisees used to fast: and they come and say unto him, Why do the disciples of John and of the Pharisees fast, but thy disciples fast not?
(Mar 2:18)

And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast. But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.
(Mar 2:19-20)
(Another Reason why this one go out but by prayer and Fasting thought to be a fake because they could not cast the devil out, or Fast to get the devil out as they could not fast. Yet Jesus told them it was because of their unbelief they could not cast him out.

Fasting is something we picked up from somewhere. Not scripture really because it's never mentioned to the Church. It's better to let your moderation be made known to all men, and live a fasted life.

Php 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

As the Lord Told Brother Hagin. I would rather you live a fasted life before me, not excess then to starve yourself for two days and eat like a hog after.

Be blessed.
I hog out on Sundays. It's kinda gross. ;-)

I hog out on Sundays. It's kinda gross. ;-)

cough.... cough........... Go get em Allie....................

I do pray in tongues a lot, and I find that keeping my stomach empty for some reason makes me more sensitive to the things of the Spirit. I can't back that up with scripture though.

We were at a Chinese buffet and a church member who was on staff came in with his family. I watched him fill his plate with a small portion of meat and veggies, 1 egg roll and a small thing of Jello.

Now I am on my 3rd plate, heaping over and dropping some on the floor. Plates are to small.

I watched and that guy did not go back to get more. He actually made me see something and I got a conviction about it. Now I just make one trip.

Fasting does not change the Word or God though.

It was also added into the text for some reason not found in the early text.

Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
(1Co 7:5)

1Co 7:5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Matt. 17:21;Mark 9:29Acts 10:30

Just keep in mind anything you do in the physical to get answers from God is through the flesh. We are to worship God in Spirit. Fasting does not make God move faster, or make the Word come to pass faster.

Faith in What God said, Gets his attention. Someone crying and fasting is someone that is not full of joy or full of faith.

Be blessed My sister.

cough.... cough........... Go get em Allie....................

I do pray in tongues a lot, and I find that keeping my stomach empty for some reason makes me more sensitive to the things of the Spirit. I can't back that up with scripture though.

We were at a Chinese buffet and a church member who was on staff came in with his family. I watched him fill his plate with a small portion of meat and veggies, 1 egg roll and a small thing of Jello.

Now I am on my 3rd plate, heaping over and dropping some on the floor. Plates are to small.

I watched and that guy did not go back to get more. He actually made me see something and I got a conviction about it. Now I just make one trip.

Fasting does not change the Word or God though.

It was also added into the text for some reason not found in the early text.

Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
(1Co 7:5)

1Co 7:5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Matt. 17:21;Mark 9:29Acts 10:30

Just keep in mind anything you do in the physical to get answers from God is through the flesh. We are to worship God in Spirit. Fasting does not make God move faster, or make the Word come to pass faster.

Faith in What God said, Gets his attention. Someone crying and fasting is someone that is not full of joy or full of faith.

Be blessed My sister.

Thanks for sharing. Yes I would only do it to bring glory to God. I am not trying to get anything or try to get God to move; what a silly notion :)

Fasting is between you and God. I don't see it as a thing that brings glory or not. To me - it is to listen better - to Gone it brings him closer. They are similar things. Gone and I both agree it should be Spirit lead and unlike going on a diet - you find yourself being fed of the Spirit. Christ said that some evil can only be driven out by praying and fasting.

Thanks for sharing. Yes I would only do it to bring glory to God. I am not trying to get anything or try to get God to move; what a silly notion :)

You misunderstood what I said.

I said, Fasting does not make the Word produce faster or Change God, or make God move.

I never said it may not help YOU receive better. God is never the issue, we only get a fraction of what God would like to do for us.

If you Fast, then you best expect to get something that God would like to get over to you.

God gets no glory for you starving yourself, You setting the flesh aside, and time with God can help you receive something from him to be used, that will give him Glory though.

Expect.

Interesting. I will check out Isaiah 58. I do believe that people have benefitted in their spiritual condition by fasting. Also Daniel fasted while he did his long prayer...
I don't doubt that there could be some benefit, I think the Lord uses all our sincere seeking in some way. As I have stated before I fasted every week for years. Some times one day or two or three or whatever, depending on my work, for it takes away from the strength of the body. I did it because I had been taught much of what others are presenting on this thread and because I was starting a new Jail ministry and wanted to make sure I was "doing" all I could to be effective in the Spiritual realm. looking back now, I cant say exactly what if any effect it had? But the Love that God had for these poor people was so powerful and so strong with me that I could stand near to a group and they would begin to weep and repent. I could look them in the eye and love them and have Gods mercy for them. I seen many great things and always had a harvest of souls, but it was always based upon Gods mercy and not my sacrifice. If fasting helped me enter in to these realms of Gods love and mercy, I just don't know?but God showed me these truths in Isa 58, and in the older text. I fast now, but not like before. I get so consumed with Gods word that I don't eat, nor am I hungry when I enter into these places of revelation in Gods Word. I say there is a much deeper truth to fasting than I have yet understood. I also accept that there could be a truth of the food fast, that I have yet to understand? Although I have heard all the ideas and thoughts about fasting, I just don't think that's Gods perfect Will for me. I think He wants something more...

Col 2:23 These things indeed have an appearance of wisdom in self-imposed religion, false humility, and neglect of the body, but are of no value against the indulgence of the flesh.

This scripture is not to bash anyone, I just think it should be considered in this discussion?

I wasn't taught anything about fasting. For most of my life, I never did it. I was lead by the HS to do it to better understand what I was hearing. To do it to show how "holy" you are to others was never the point. Nor should it be. Christ fasted 40 days - something that is not humanly possible. But it was before His temptation and before His baptism.

I wasn't taught anything about fasting. For most of my life, I never did it. I was lead by the HS to do it to better understand what I was hearing. To do it to show how "holy" you are to others was never the point. Nor should it be. Christ fasted 40 days - something that is not humanly possible. But it was before His temptation and before His baptism.
Know of some folks who make the claim, and even know of some that have died from a food fast. No doubt Christ fasted, and defeated satan.. He did many things on our behalf:)

I don't doubt that there could be some benefit, I think the Lord uses all our sincere seeking in some way. As I have stated before I fasted every week for years. Some times one day or two or three or whatever, depending on my work, for it takes away from the strength of the body. I did it because I had been taught much of what others are presenting on this thread

I use to fast Also, sometimes for 3 days no food. Same reason presented here.............. Lots of ideas, no scripture that the Church should fast. The couple that are there are very debated and suspect. Fasting is an act of the flesh. God is a Spirit.

Looking back, I do remember the times I forgot and spit out the food asking forgiveness. I do remember those times. We can't make vows to the Lord in the Flesh. If you do, you better never break it, best not to.

I will say that keeping the flesh under and keeping in prayer works just as well. I found that lots of time in the Word can not be replaced by just fasting.

I have learned the Lord knows more what I need than I do. If I hear Fast, and listen, the bless God I fast. I have to hear first.

See, doing things not directed to do results in little. I can't please God with my own brilliant ideas, but I can please him by being led and directed.

I hate to say all that fasting did not do any good. Really hard to tell since I was in the Word constantly and praying in tongues constantly anyway. I know it did put me in condemnation a few times.

By faith, I just believe it helped in some way, but i have learned, God knows what I need better than I do.

Be blessed.

The Isaiah verse is making a lot of sense to me today, verses when I was reading it at 2:00am. The verse you mentioned mitspa reminded me of James 1:27, I believe they might run parallel to one another.

Back