Follow Jesus even if it gets difficult

but with A.S. (ankylosing spondylitis) its difficult doing anything.
I understand this because I was diagnosed with a few neurological disorders. I hate going to doctors so I'm not even sure what's wrong with me. For awhile I thought AS was 1 of my issues but further research convinced me I was wrong. Even so, I can't walk more than 50' without a walker and some days I have to use a cane even for short distances. I was told I have spinal stenosis but lately my hands shake some days. I too wish I had done many other things when I was well.

It has been advised not to take anti inflammatory meds at this time, so I am suffering from severe flare ups. Apparently they greatly worsen, and multiply the symptoms of Covid 19. Thank you for the understanding, heartfelt post. Hugs to you my brother in Christ. Walking has been difficult during this quarantine, being Tylenol, hot baths, muscle lotions, and topical cbd oils are my lines of defense.

Father in the name of your Son Jesus Christ please help John find the medical treatment he needs. Amen.

It has been advised not to take anti inflammatory meds at this time,
Hi thenami, I too heard this. I got a text message from an old friend saying this advice came from a reliable source, although I forgot exactly where. I rarely use the NSAIDs but I took it seriously anyway. Then one day I was watching the daily updates by our Governor and then he gave the microphone over to that doctor, I think his name is Fauci. The doc. said the warnings about the NSAIDS aren't true. He said they started in a letter (maybe he meant an email) sent from to someone in the UK. I think he then said that person put it on FB or Twitter where it was picked up and repeated over & over. But then Dr. Fauci said this is not true, he said the NSAIDS are not dangerous even if you're covid-19 positive. Since you need them for pain maybe you should do some extended research on this. I hate pain and I see no reason to experience it when it isn't necessary. See what you can find out.

God Bless

My daughter and I have the same rheumatologist here, and he advised we both discontinue using all anti inflammatory meds. Those of us with autoimmune diseases need to consult with our own physicians on this matter. I have been experiencing some relief with CBD products during these difficult circumstances.

I say, when a person accepts Jesus as Lord he can be certain it will become difficult. I think God allows this specifically to see who will get closer to Him and who will quit and walk away from Him. I know there's a reason for this but I'm not entirely certain what it is. God may even be accomplishing several things at once when our lives get difficult.

Excellent observation. The world since Christ died has adopted the incessant call to fix the needs of the world.

The world in general wants Christianity to solve the physical, and psychological problems that beset the world. But that is not what we see in James 4:7...…...
"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

I believe that the Scriptures clearly tell us to be completely submitted to whatever God in Christ is committed to being and doing IN US.
When we do that we can then be released from the idea of performing or doing what others wrongly expect from us as Christians.

nami, Oh, I didn't your doc told you to avoid the NSAIDS, then by all means avoid them.
I have an autoimmune issue too. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I went to a rheumatologist last Nov. and he said I need a neurologist. I finally heard of 1 who I think is the right kind of neurologist but then this covid-19 thing happened. When it's over I have to try and go to this neurologist I heard of. Since I no longer own a car this doc is a bit far. He's in New Hyde Park but I'm not.

I keep asking thee Lord to heal me. I know He does these things I just wish He'd do it for me. I guess we all do.

nami, Oh, I didn't your doc told you to avoid the NSAIDS, then by all means avoid them.
I have an autoimmune issue too. I'm not sure exactly what it is. I went to a rheumatologist last Nov. and he said I need a neurologist. I finally heard of 1 who I think is the right kind of neurologist but then this covid-19 thing happened. When it's over I have to try and go to this neurologist I heard of. Since I no longer own a car this doc is a bit far. He's in New Hyde Park but I'm not.

I keep asking thee Lord to heal me. I know He does these things I just wish He'd do it for me. I guess we all do.

Romans 8:28 says,...…..
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose".

My wife and I have struggled with our health now for 25 years. We have gone from one operation to another and I finally realized that God either wants us to be healed or He doesn’t, and He has a good reason for either situation. He can use our suffering to bring us closer to Him, or He can use our healing to bring others closer to Him. IN either case, He gets the glory and praise.

I just wish He would let us know!

Christ did indeed die for our sins, and yes we can pray to ask for healing. That's where I feel the parable of the mustard seed speaks volumes.
How much faith do we have to believe God will answer our prayers? In my case I believe I have more faith to have prayers for others answered (more than for myself). I personally feel selfish sometimes asking for things I need, because Christ has already done so much for us. Its my own personal struggle, and I do better with it at different periods in my life.

Last edited:
I've had minor health problems since I was 5 yrs old. In 1990 the more serious ones started and a young brother told me I should look into a preacher named Kenneth Hagin sr. so I did. Brother Hagin passed away in 2004 but his main teachings was on healing through God. I've read most of Hagin's books, I even went to his crusades 5 times. One of those times I was called out of the congregation and he prayed for me individually. Something remarkable happened to me but it wasn't healing. I know a lot of people don't like K. Hagin very much but as someone very familiar with his teachings I'm sure the folks who dislike him are misunderstanding something he said. (I said that as disclaimer)

It is a mystery as to why God heals at some times but not others. I don't think even Hagin knew why, although he may have believed he knew why. It's surely true that God uses illness to teach and bring us closer to Himself, He did that with me in the 90's.
Hagin thought a lack of faith was a big reason. But concerning the mustard seed parable, maybe I don't understand it. I thought a mustard seed is very small so wasn't Jesus saying you don't have to be a faith giant to get faith results? I think so, but then what else distinguishes a mustard seed from other seeds and how can we apply the principle to faith? It's times like this that I wish Jesus hadn't used agricultural parables, I've never even been on a farm. I think the answer is a little tiny mustard seed can grow into 1 of the biggest plants there is, while bigger seeds result in smaller crops. Hagin also used to speak about several different kinds of faith, which I'm sorry to say, I never understood. But that was 30 yrs ago. I think I'm beginning to understand it now. My problem is I still don't have any mustard seeds. I'll say a mustard seed type of faith is when you believe God will act because either He told you so in a dream, vision or prayer, or you have seen Him do what you are currently asking for.
What do you guys think?

With K. Hagin, if I remember correctly, before he ever had a prayer for healing answered, he was very sick and then he died. This was when he was 15. He died 3 times that night and each time he cried out for Jesus and then Jesus came and pulled him up from hell. During the 3rd rescue from hell Jesus told Hagin that from now on He would give Hagin what asks for in faith. It was only after this that Hagin could pray for healing and get results often. Hagin said, that for his own health he'd always get results, it was for others when the results were sporadic.

I'm still missing something here. Alright guys, I admit I don't understand the whys yet.

I'll say a mustard seed type of faith is when you believe God will act because either He told you so in a dream, vision or prayer, or you have seen Him do what you are currently asking for.
What do you guys think?
To me... "mustard seed faith", should not require any "because" statement... such as dreams, visions, intuition, etc...
Faith- is to believe. Period. Without the requirement of anything other than because God said so. :) He gave us His word!!! When you can step out on faith and believe without any signs of proof.... then your on to something... then you have the faith that can move mountains.
(Now I'm not saying that sometimes God doesn't give us signs... but faith is to completely put your trust in Him, seek His guidance & will... not ours... and do what He leads us to do, even if we don't like it, or don't think it's what we want.)

29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

[John 20:29 KJV]

Faith- is to believe. Period.
Hi A-Snowflake,
I would never disagree with this, but it still leaves us wondering why sometimes prayers for healing are answered but other times they aren't. It's been many years since I read anything on faith, but I do remember the authors used to talk about different kinds of faith.

As I said above, I don't think even Kenneth Hagin knew why sometimes healing happens while other times it doesn't. He used to advance several theories to explain the various situations. One of his ideas involved when he'd have an anointing to pray for others. That was a lovey idea but I don't think it can help me or you.
Have you ever prayed for healing, for yourself or someone else, and seen results?

^ I agree :)

I have to laugh sometimes because I believe God definitely has a sense of humor. I see the parable from a different light.
For me its not that a mustard seed is small, or that it can grow into such a large plant.

Through my eyes, I see that mustard seeds can sit in the bottom of a dusty, dirty garage bin full of cob webs. They can sit on that shelf for twenty years through freezing winters, hurricanes blowing, dry hot weeks on end, and what were they created to do? Ahh the wonder of how God makes things is incredible! Guess what one tiny seed can still do? It can grow just about anywhere there is enough light water and soil for it to take any kind of root.

Durability! Kinda like the faith I have when I pray for others, because God wants me to put the body of Christ before myself. However my struggle really is real. In that process I forget he wants me to pray for myself, and in doing so I have developed a pattern of behavior that makes me feel selfish when I do. Like I said, sometimes in life I do better with that than others.

However today I was very thankful. We had very bad storms coming through the area spinning off tornado activity. The storm came quick, as we grabbed the pets and prepared ourselves to "hunker down". We saw the rain coming so fast and thick spinning around in a cyclone of wind in the back yard before seeking shelter in the space under the stairs. Its the safest place here in this house. Did I pray? I imagine the holy spirit uttered for me/us. It left almost as fast as it came. It took out part of the neighbors fence, brought someone's backyard trampoline over their fence, and into the middle of the road. Check out the weather reports for the NC area, and see how many touched down today.

So yes, I am thankful to our Father in heaven in the name of Jesus Christ because someone's prayer was heard. Sometimes all that is needed is a little faith, just like knowing that mustard seed will grow :)

Would you tell us about it, I'd love to hear the details. I could use the encouragement.
I'll work writing some of it up.. but there's not just one particular incident... and for the sake of being thorough, it would not be right to just mention one thing. So, yes.. I'll take some time and try to recount some specific instances for you, (and others).
There have also been occasions when prayer was answered, as it was being prayed. Those times always make an impact.

mustard seed
Can be ground up and used as a spice
Or it can be a green manure crop, used to cleanse the soil.
Mustard seeds are many...

I think Jesus was referring to the size of faith and you just need to speak it out.

So say. I am going to be healed. And believe it and it will be so.

This also applies to other things. So I have this mountain in my life. No budget for library books..no money. School hasn't said anything and I've been waiting for months and months. But I am going to say we will have new books anyway. Before term starts. And it will be so.

I've had minor health problems since I was 5 yrs old. In 1990 the more serious ones started and a young brother told me I should look into a preacher named Kenneth Hagin sr. so I did. Brother Hagin passed away in 2004 but his main teachings was on healing through God. I've read most of Hagin's books, I even went to his crusades 5 times. One of those times I was called out of the congregation and he prayed for me individually. Something remarkable happened to me but it wasn't healing. I know a lot of people don't like K. Hagin very much but as someone very familiar with his teachings I'm sure the folks who dislike him are misunderstanding something he said. (I said that as disclaimer)

It is a mystery as to why God heals at some times but not others. I don't think even Hagin knew why, although he may have believed he knew why. It's surely true that God uses illness to teach and bring us closer to Himself, He did that with me in the 90's.
Hagin thought a lack of faith was a big reason. But concerning the mustard seed parable, maybe I don't understand it. I thought a mustard seed is very small so wasn't Jesus saying you don't have to be a faith giant to get faith results? I think so, but then what else distinguishes a mustard seed from other seeds and how can we apply the principle to faith? It's times like this that I wish Jesus hadn't used agricultural parables, I've never even been on a farm. I think the answer is a little tiny mustard seed can grow into 1 of the biggest plants there is, while bigger seeds result in smaller crops. Hagin also used to speak about several different kinds of faith, which I'm sorry to say, I never understood. But that was 30 yrs ago. I think I'm beginning to understand it now. My problem is I still don't have any mustard seeds. I'll say a mustard seed type of faith is when you believe God will act because either He told you so in a dream, vision or prayer, or you have seen Him do what you are currently asking for.
What do you guys think?

With K. Hagin, if I remember correctly, before he ever had a prayer for healing answered, he was very sick and then he died. This was when he was 15. He died 3 times that night and each time he cried out for Jesus and then Jesus came and pulled him up from hell. During the 3rd rescue from hell Jesus told Hagin that from now on He would give Hagin what asks for in faith. It was only after this that Hagin could pray for healing and get results often. Hagin said, that for his own health he'd always get results, it was for others when the results were sporadic.

I'm still missing something here. Alright guys, I admit I don't understand the whys yet.

Now please remember that you opened the door and asked the questions.

I want to be very careful with my response to you as I do not want to harm your faith or what you believe. Having said, and you should know "That our conversation on faith healing will probably be stopped by our mods as it is real close to being against the rules of the site and uselly leads to confrontation which is why I want to respond to you in Christian love. I have no desire to argue with anyone, only to point out the truth.

I am very familiar with Mr. Hagin as I came out from the Charismatic Pentecostal arena of "Name it and claim it" or better said, "Prosperity Teaching".
He is considered the father of the modern "Prosperity Movement". He was also called a "Prophet" and an "Apostle" both of which are impossible to be in our New Test. life today according to the Scriptures.

Mr. Hagin taught that Christians are "little Gods". However, the Bible tells us that we are ALL SINNERS in Romans 3:23...….
"ALL have sinned and come short of the approval of God".

Being born again does not then make us a "Little God". It makes us a FORGIVEN sinner, but still a sinner as the sin nature never dies. We take the sin nature to the grave.

He claimed to have gone to Heaven and Hell and wrote that he visited with the Lord Jesus Christ as well as seeing Satan.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...00ABE889DCB6AA8453BA00A&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Mr. Hagin was the 1st person who introduced the false teaching of "Holy Laughter" as he called on the Holy Spirit to knock people down.
Please take a look at what happenened at...….
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...eneth+hagin+began+laughing+doctrine&FORM=VDRE

It should also be pointed out that Kenneth Hagin has been proven to be a plagiarist, a plagiarist is someone who steals another person's writings and fails to acknowledge the original author of the work. D. R. McConnell proved beyond any shadow of doubt that Hagin stole much of his theology from E.W. Kenyon, the true Father of the Word of Faith Movement in his most excellent book "A Different Gospel." It seems dad Hagin also stole about 75% of John A. Macmillan's book entitled "The Authority of the Believer" written in 1932. This theft was discovered by Dale Simmons while working on a paper at Oral Roberts University Hagin was confronted about this theft and made few changes in subsequent editions of that book. He has never publicly admitted to stealing anything from Kenyon. It gets stranger! Hagin has also made the claim to have had no less than eight personal face-to-face visits with the Lord Jesus Christ His book "I Believe In Visions" makes this statement on the cover "The fascinating personal story of a man whose life and ministry have been dramatically influenced by visions of Jesus."
https://bible.ca/tongues-pentecostal-preachers-immoral.htm

I realize how controversial this information will be to you and again......I do not say these things to harm you in any way but only to inform you of the other side of the door.

Now to answer your comment of...........
"Hagin said, that for his own health he'd always get results, it was for others when the results were sporadic. I'm still missing something here. Alright guys, I admit I don't understand the whys yet."

Allow me to say in Christian love to you that according the teachings of Mr. Hagin, there could only be TWO reasons why someone was not healed.

1. Either the sick person had insufficient faith,
2. or perhaps the person who prayed for them lacked faith.

IMO......this is a naive and ultimately unbiblical theology of healing, since all the great men and women of faith mentioned in the Bible finally died of some illness or other. This position is based on the assumption that you and I should have the power of Jesus and the apostles. But Jesus' dramatic healings were for a reason: He healed as a sign and indication that He had the power of life and death with the ability to forgive sins.

Those dramatic healings revealed who Jesus was!

See Matthew 11:3-5; Mark 2:9-11; John. 5:36; 10:37-38.

They pointed to a spiritual reality which went beyond the healing of some disease, to the ultimate spiritual healing of sin!

Please consider http://www.ukapologetics.net/healingsacrifice.htm

Blessings to you as you ponder these Biblical truths.

Last edited:
I have a friend whom relies on prayer, saying "Gods will shall be done". She has great faith resting on the belief it doesn't matter what we do.
I believe this, but will do for myself the things that are within my ability. I have great faith in knowing God will help me where I cannot help myself.

Who has the greater faith? Only God can answer that.

I have a friend whom relies on prayer, saying "Gods will shall be done". She has great faith resting on the belief it doesn't matter what we do.
I believe this, but will do for myself the things that are within my ability. I have great faith in knowing God will help me where I cannot help myself.

Who has the greater faith? Only God can answer that.

I would say that both of you have great faith.

The only thing that I can relay to you is that from what the scripture says, at least some of God’s will is conditional on man’s ability to have faith, and his willingness to pray. A couple of examples are----

Daniel having to pray for the release of the Hebrews from Babylon, even after the allotted time of their captivity had passed. Dan. 9:2-3 says...….
"in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, observed in the books the number of the years which was revealed as the word of the Lord to Jeremiah the prophet for the completion of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.
So I gave my attention to the Lord God to seek Him by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth and ashes."

God encouraging the watchmen to not stop beseeching Him until “Jerusalem becomes a praise and blessing to the world in Isaiah 62:6-7 says...….
"On your walls, O Jerusalem, I have appointed watchmen; All day and all night they will never keep silent. You who remind the Lord, take no rest for yourselves; And give Him no rest until He establishes And makes Jerusalem a praise in the earth."

God looking to and fro for a faithful person to stand in the gap, so God would not destroy the land in Ezekiel 22:30...…….
“I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for the land, so that I would not destroy it; but I found no one."

Then we see God’s admonition in 2 Chron. 7:14 that “if my people…humble themselves and pray…” God would heal their land.
The land’s healing was conditional upon God’s people humbling themselves and praying.

The question being asked is a simple one really. Why does God not answer my prayers when I ask in faith?????
Why did my child die when he was only a year old??????
Why did my mother die so young?????

In total and complete honesty, I have been asking that question myself ever since I answered the call of God.

I do not know!!!

I can also tell you what Dr. J. Vernon MaGee once wrote about such things...……..
"Evidently God needed Bobby in heaven more than I needed him here with me".

However, I DO KNOW that God is NOT a cosmic Santa Clause.
I do know that the Holy Spirit is not someone we use to throw at people and make them fall down or laugh uncontrollably.

I also know that God answers prayer as I have seen it done over and over and over.

So the, If the will of God always happens, then why are we exhorted to pray for it??????

I will also give you this advice from John Wesley who once wrote these words...…...….
Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen; such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of heaven on earth. God does nothing but in answer to prayer.

Would you tell us about it, I'd love to hear the details. I could use the encouragement.
Rather than post it here, I have written some of these on my own blog. That will allow me to better refine it, add to it, and edit better. It is a "rough draft" sort of webpage, so forgive me if it's long and rambling. If you, or anyone else, have any questions, or comments, or wish to discuss any of it, feel free to send me a pm anytime.
It's far from a complete list. It's not like I "keep score" all of the things I've seen God do - maybe I should?! Anyway, I pray that it will be helpful to others.
And as time allows, I will try to make it more complete, and put into a better format.

Back