Forgiveness

Forgiveness

I have been studying the Epistles of John recently, and would love to hear opinions of friends on 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins". Now clearly this is written to Christians (Ch. 2:12-14, 3:1 etc., so we are talking about sins committed after we have become Believers.

Now, in the prayer the Lord taught us we pray "Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us". We are taught that if we do not forgive then we cannot expect forgiveness ourselves.

Does God then require confession before forgiveness, but expect us to forgive without confession?

I have come to the conclusion that God expects us always to be willing to forgive, but forgiveness is a two way thing that is given and then RECEIVED. Therefore we cannot expect forgiveness if we are not ready to ask for it if we have offended someone else.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

I have been studying the Epistles of John recently, and would love to hear opinions of friends on 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins". Now clearly this is written to Christians (Ch. 2:12-14, 3:1 etc., so we are talking about sins committed after we have become Believers.

Now, in the prayer the Lord taught us we pray "Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us". We are taught that if we do not forgive then we cannot expect forgiveness ourselves.

Does God then require confession before forgiveness, but expect us to forgive without confession?

I have come to the conclusion that God expects us always to be willing to forgive, but forgiveness is a two way thing that is given and then RECEIVED. Therefore we cannot expect forgiveness if we are not ready to ask for it if we have offended someone else.

That is how I was taught but you have to balance it out...I would sooner forgive someone even if they have not asked for it...than not forgive them which could lead to holding a grudge.:fish:

Jeanann God expects us to forgive. Pure and simple. The reason? Its not so much for the forgivee and for the forgiver. God wants you free of all encumbrances.
an example.
Twenty years ago a trusted friend stole your favorite watch and moved away. They never gave it back. Ok You lost a friend by a betrayal of trust and your favorite watch in the bargain. Oh that's got to hurt. Its been twenty years and that person, who could be dead for all you know, doesn't remember or care whether or not you were hurt and whether or not that you forgive them. But you carry that hurt. Its a load, a debt owed, isn't it. So forgive that person. It means you cancel the debt. You dump the load. Who profits by that? YOU do. Now God can cleanse you of all that junk you were carrying that you had no right to carry.
You were not created to carry all that burden and pain. You were made to walk in the very PRESENCE of God. You were created to share the joy of your Father not the pain and sorrow of the enemy.

Thanks Denadii Cho for your thoughts on this subject. I feel that we don't really realise how important forgiveness is both to give and receive.

Many, many years ago a friend did me a great wrong. I was willing to forgive, but this friend stayed clear for a considerable time. Then one day he came to my home and asked me for forgiveness for what he had done and said. "Since that day my whole life has been dust and ashes". I was so moved by this, and it taught me a lesson I have never forgotten to not only keep short accounts with God, but also with fellow Believers. How much we miss when we do not acknowledge what we did wrong.

This friend continued to have real problems in life, and had to put thing right with many people to whom he had lied. He did say though, that to receive forgiveness was a very real and positive thing in his journey back to spiritual health.

God Bless.

Thanks Denadii Cho for your thoughts on this subject. I feel that we don't really realise how important forgiveness is both to give and receive.

Many, many years ago a friend did me a great wrong. I was willing to forgive, but this friend stayed clear for a considerable time. Then one day he came to my home and asked me for forgiveness for what he had done and said. "Since that day my whole life has been dust and ashes". I was so moved by this, and it taught me a lesson I have never forgotten to not only keep short accounts with God, but also with fellow Believers. How much we miss when we do not acknowledge what we did wrong.

This friend continued to have real problems in life, and had to put thing right with many people to whom he had lied. He did say though, that to receive forgiveness was a very real and positive thing in his journey back to spiritual health.

God Bless.

Amen sister :) that's great

do not give up and keep praying
forgive one another so that your Father in heaven may also forgive you :)

Yes my brothers and sisters , I really believe that forgiveness because of our human nature is probably one of the hardest things to do . We are a prideful people .

But where does pride come from .... Not God . If we let those thoughts enter our mind even if we think we are right , then it opens the door for other thoughts and harbours bitterness and just snow balls even more .

If we recognize this is happening by the power of the Holy Spirit then He helps us to overcome these obstacles in our life .

I have found from my own life that forgiveness is a release to freedom and who the Son sets free is free indeed.

Don't let pride come into your life.

Forgivers​

One of the hardest parts of being a Christians is to forgive others who have done something against us, whether it be accidental or intentional. Forgiveness means that we never use an incident as a weapon against the person who wronged us. We will not be able to forget what someone did to us but we must be diligent in avoiding the temptation to resurrect it. All our sins were forgiven (Col 2:13 KJV) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Forgive one another (Eph 4:32 KJV) And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. We should be ready to forgive (Psa 86:5 KJV) For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Forgive the sin debt of others (Mat 6:12 KJV) And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. Forgiveness is an outward sign of salvation (Mat 6:14-15 KJV) For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: {15} But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Forgiveness must be open ended (Mat 18:21 KJV) Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? (Luke 17:3-4 KJV) Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him. {4} And if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying, I repent; thou shalt forgive him. Forgiveness must be sincere (Mat 18:35 KJV) So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Mat 6:14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:
Mat 6:15 But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Unforgiveness is a terrible burden and one that we should strive to be free of lest a root of bitterness spring up and poison our very soul. Often the offending party has forgotten or doesn't even know how we feel and yet if we do not surrender these things to Christ then we daily become more and more wieghed down and restricted. God gives us the power to be free of such hinderances and when we walk in His way manifesting His heart we see past the offense and see the poor soul's bondage- this should always lead us to prayer for that person. That is afterall our Lord's command:

Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

I think we can forgive them in our hearts but not say to them "I forgive you" when they haven't repented and asked for forgiveness. We are not to hold a grudge but forgive them. If we say to someone who has hurt us, "I forgive you" when they didn't ask for it, we are condoning what they did. Plus, they might not see any reason for them to be forgiven and see nothing wrong with what they did or said.

I once said something to someone that hurt her. What I said was the truth, but I didn't say it in love. I ended up apologizing for saying it--not because what I said was wrong, but because it was wrong to say it.

I believe it was David who said, "My bones wasted away when I kept my sins concealed. " Then he went on to say he confessed them and the Lord was faithful and just.
It was somewhere in the psalms

Colossians 3:13 .........Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

To forgive a sin against us, is to confess their sin to God. As we forgive them so doe's God.

God bless

To forgive a sin against us, is to confess their sin to God. As we forgive them so doe's God.

God bless

I would really like to know the Bible reference that says if we pray for forgiveness for others then God forgives them. The only verse I know is "if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness". (1 John 1:9) I believe that we must personally confess our own sins and let other people confess theirs.

Jeanann
right in the Lord's prayer He taught us to forgive those who tresspass against us .

Luke 11

Jesus' Teaching on Prayer

1One day Jesus was praying in a certain place. When he finished, one of his disciples said to him, "Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples."
2He said to them, "When you pray, say:
" 'Father hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come

Give us each day our daily bread.
4Forgive us our sins,
for we also forgive everyone who sins against us And lead us not into temptation."

By forgiving some one else who has done wrong to you , and asking Jesus to forgive them it is a sign of humility and there are so many examples of Jesus forgiving that we need to pattern our lives after Him .

Even if you think the other person is wrong , we still need to forgive. them.

It is also liberating to forgive ourselves as an example would be abuse where a person feels shame and low self esteem and satan has them bound into thinking they must have caused it . No ... But when you come to the point of forgiving yourself a whole load has been lifted form you and you finally feel free. Trust me I have been there.

Sorry, but I still do not see that if we forgive then God forgives the other person. Yes the Lord's prayer does say "forgive us our sins as we forgive those that trespass against us", but it does not say "forgive us our sins and then you will forgive those that trespass against us".

I believe that Scripture teaches that we have to ask forgiveness for ourselves, otherwise wouln't we all we busy confessing other people's sins in order that they might be forgiven. I know I would.

Just as an off shot questioin, have you considered while you are waiting for someone to ask for your forgivness...they may not even know they have done anything to offend you? What causes offence in one person may not be any kind of big deal in another.

Back