Grace - Mercy - Love - Forgiveness

There has been some confusion about Grace, Mercy, Love and Forgiveness.
All four of these work together and Faith Won't work without Love.

Scripture says Grace is God's unmerited favor.
That means we don't deserve it or earned it but is given unto us.

GRACE....God GIVING us something we DO NOT Deserve.

MERCY.....God NOT giving us what we deserve.

In God's Mercy He does not punish us as we deserve.

Grace is favor shown or given to some one who does not deserve it.

Scripture commands us to Love even as God has Loved us.

One can't Love without Forgiveness and one can't forgive without love.

1Corinthians13:4-7

4 Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious norboils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.

5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rightsor its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful orresentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

6 It does not rejoice at injustice andunrighteousness, but rejoices when right and truth prevail.

7 Love bears up under anything andeverything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening].

How can Love do all this?
Because Love Forgives
Now we are Commanded to Love
Love Forgives
Sounds like something that may not be deserved.
Why Yes of course Grace.

Grace Also describes Everything God is to us.

You can say that Love - Mercy - Forgiveness is Packed inside of Grace.

Blessings

Can you give the scripture that says grace is Gods unmerited favour I cant find it anywhere? Like the specific reference?

Thanks. I just dont recall that one?!

I know the scripture about love or charity. But, again corinthian doesnt actually say love is 'unmerited favour' at least my bible doesnt have anywhere mention the beloved as 'unmerited'.

Unless you talking in general terms, but then you might need to explain with descriptions from the Bible. For example, psalms often say Gods mercies endureth forever, and David was talking about how the israelites were rescued in exodus and crossed the red sea, they cried out to God and they were saved. And gives many examples of mercy for the israelites.

But, I dont recall grace really given until Jesus appeared.

God has ALWAYS shown grace in dealing with mankind.

An early example was when He did not immediately take the lives of Adam & Eve when they violated His law.

This set a precident that He has followed in finding ways of not letting His righteous wrath destroy our unfaithful selves.

1539703678328.png
I agree with the package concept.

Although, for the sake of discussion, and favoritism on TERMS :)

I would prefer that LOVE is the BIGGEST CIRCLE.

The critical difference of Mercy vs. Love and Grace, as I see it:

Mercy: there has to be an act, an offense, a transgression done that DESERVES punishment in order to exercise Mercy.

While GRACE and LOVE: does not necessitate that

Related Bible verse:
Romans 9:18
Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden

Thus: MERCY is not available to all.

And we know whom God’s gives Grace on:
JN 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Last edited:
Grace is concentrating and supporting the good.

It includes providence as well as mercy and forgiveness.

Before the fall, all the good things in the garden were there for the benefit of Adam & Eve. This was by God's grace. God was still a merciful God at that time, but that portion of His nature was not made apparent until iniquity entered.

Mercy is how grace deals with iniquity.

As I know it:
God is love. Faith is the connector to God/love.
Love is the seed which springs forth grace.
True love has grace which can be projected or bestowed upon others May God's grace be upon you, as it were.
Grace causes you to have mercy upon those who deserve punishment.
Forgiveness heals the hard feelings which would interrupt love. Forgiveness brings you back to grace again and continues the cycle.
As it says in 1 John, if we have no love, we are not His, meaning one of God's children. Automatically you will have no grace or mercy or forgiveness.
If we have love, then grace follows.
Our grace is given so we show mercy on others.
Then we should forgive. If we don't it breaks the cycle and we can't get back to grace. Our love becomes interrupted and we get stuck. We have to forgive to get the love going again and bring grace back.
It's why it is so important to forgive.

Can you give the scripture that says grace is Gods unmerited favour I cant find it anywhere? Like the specific reference?

Lanolin the best way for you to learn and understand "Grace" is begin reading in the New Testament and every time you see the word "Grace" pick up your phone and look up that scripture and read it in many different versions including the Amplified.

You tend to stick only to the kjv and read it literally or face value as you would any other book.

Praying that The Father is able to open up your ears to hear what He has said about His Grace.

Know Your Covenant
Understand God's Word
Enjoy your Salvation
Blessings to you
FCJ

Can you give the version that says 'unmerited favour' I cant see it.

That is wrong your assertion i only read KJV for face value. I ask the holy spirit to show me. He showed me John 1:17

Am looking up all the versions on Biblehub they all say grace except for a few that say kindness, one says unfailing love, and only one says undeserved kindness. Thats CEV.

None says ' unmerited favour' so am a bit puzzled why you keep using that term.

Can you give the version that says 'unmerited favour' I cant see it.

That is wrong your assertion i only read KJV for face value. I ask the holy spirit to show me. He showed me John 1:17

Am looking up all the versions on Biblehub they all say grace except for a few that say kindness, one says unfailing love, and only one says undeserved kindness. Thats CEV.

None says ' unmerited favour' so am a bit puzzled why you keep using that term.

Please slow down when you read and that's not what I said.
Grace is mentioned about 159 times in the Bible.
Study and find out.
Blessings

God doesnt play favourites does he.
Well lets see he chose the Israelites not because of who they are but because of who He is. They werent a strong people, there was nothing really to distinguish them from all the others in Gods creation.

They messed up, God still loved them. He shows his mercy to them even when they break his commandments, he gives them especially to set them apart. And he rescues them All the time.

In the NT Jesus made grace and truth available. This is the new covenant. What is the difference, Jesus christ paid for pardon, first for the israelites and then everyone else who werent even under the old covenant, but it can only be worked out if people believe that Jesus did this. If we ask for forgiveness, we are given it. If we do not ask, we will not recieve.

In the OT thy had to offer sacrifices everyday at the temple? The blood on the mercy seat? Jesus had one sacrifice for all time. That is the difference between mercy and grace, at least in so far as the Bible is explaining it to me.

Grace is concentrating and supporting the good.

It includes providence as well as mercy and forgiveness.

Before the fall, all the good things in the garden were there for the benefit of Adam & Eve. This was by God's grace. God was still a merciful God at that time, but that portion of His nature was not made apparent until iniquity entered.

Mercy is how grace deals with iniquity.
Yes that is true they had everything provided, only when sin entered did God pronounce a punishment, if we can see his mercy, it would be when he clothed Adam and Eve.
He also barred the way to the garden Im guessing it was to protect the other inhabitants! I.e the animals and plants. Adam and eve would have wrecked havoc had they stayed.

Sorry underserved. In another thread you mentioned grace as umerited favour. Or something. Maybe am wrong. This was like your second sentence that states "scripture says grace is unmerited favour'. Where?

I dont know about the undeserved bit. Is this saying we dont deserve Gods love? Because He created us for love. Otherwise wouldnt even be here.

What do we deserve then?

Ok sorry to highjack thread just sortng this out to avoid confusion in my brain.
Mercy is given when there is an offence that deserves punishment.
Grace is given in spite of offence?

Is this right?

Ok sorry to highjack thread just sortng this out to avoid confusion in my brain.
Mercy is given when there is an offence that deserves punishment.
Grace is given in spite of offence?

Is this right?

Hi Lanolin,
Lol slow down here. I am not ignoring you.
I am very busy and trying to answer you when I can.

As you study out Grace and Mercy remember that we can not take one piece of Scripture and claim it is the answer.

Scripture must be rightly divided.
How do we do this? With Other Scriptures..

Scripture tells us we are as filthy rags.
As it stands there we do not deserve to be with God.

Jesus through His sacrifice made a way that we can be with God.
As you have stated, Jesus gave us Grace.

So Grace is God giving us something we don't deserve.

People even Christians do things that are against God. With Mercy God does not destroy or punish us for these actions.
That would be ... Mercy...God not giving us what we deserve.

Real life example Grace and Mercy

When a family member was repeatedly raped and tortured by 2 guys and left for dead.

It was by Grace that I learned to Forgive them.

It was by Mercy they Lived.

Hope this helps.
Have a Blessed day.
FCJ

But, I dont recall grace really given until Jesus appeared.

With respect, I am perplexed by this statement.

It sounds like you had something definite in mind when you made this statement.

In what manner was God's grace missing, absent, or with-held before Christ?

Maybe if you would define grace in relation to what you meant. Although I am not specifying that you provide scriptural backing, as you are requesting of Fish Catcher Jim, any scripture that comes to mind would be helpful.

Please do not think that I am trying to be argumentative, or trying to put you on the spot, but I am truly unable to fathom this assertion.

Sorry underserved. In another thread you mentioned grace as umerited favour. Or something. Maybe am wrong. This was like your second sentence that states "scripture says grace is unmerited favour'. Where?

I dont know about the undeserved bit. Is this saying we dont deserve Gods love? Because He created us for love. Otherwise wouldnt even be here.

What do we deserve then?

Unmerited in the sense that it is not something that is owed to us by God.

It is favor of God because of who He is rather than any innate worthiness or right of ours.

Psalms 8:4
 What is man that You take thought of him,
And the son of man that You care for him?

FCJ: I think Lanolin was stuck on this from the OP. Scripture doesn't use those exact words but grace is defined as unmeritted favor using other words.

I do not mean to speak for our sister, but it just occurred to me that sister Lanolin may be thinking we are saying that one that transgresses (and thus does not merit favor) will receive mercy because of grace irregardless of whether they admit it is wrong (confess) or try to change (repent).

She may be interpret it in terms of Rom 6:1., to which the proper response is 6:2.

Of course this is NOT what we are saying.

What we are saying is that it is God's nature to provide what is needed (whether it is manna to nourish our bodies or forgiveness to restore fellowship with God). This nature is irrespective of the details of the person.

The thing about the unrepentant is not that God with-holds forgiveness, but that forgiveness will not restore the unrepentant to fellowship with God.

Back