Halloween

Way to resurrect the thread! lol!

I will be the first to respond.

I let my children for the past 2 years participate in our church trunk or treat only.
Daughter (15) dressed up at Esther.
Son (13) dressed up as the jail keeper for Paul and Silas (Acts 16:27-34)
Son (2) Lion
Son (almost 3 months) Lamb
Went to church, did the rounds, received candy, church cards and tracts.
Then took the tracts and church cards and passed them out with the candy I purchased from our own home.

Did it minister or plant a seed to those who came across them? A greater possibility than if we didn't pass them out.
I don't let my own kids dress up in anything except Biblical Persons, and we don't go to houses for candy. Although, this year might be a possibility for us to go from house to house to pass out scripture cards to those who pass out candy... We do this for Easter too! We go door to door to pass out a plastic egg with a chocolate and a card inviting them to our Easter service. :) Might even start attaching church invites to candy canes this year too :)

Oh, by the way, HI! Sorry I have been a bit busy with church activities, family and business. Glad to be back! :) :)

Way to resurrect the thread! lol!

I will be the first to respond.

I let my children for the past 2 years participate in our church trunk or treat only.
Daughter (15) dressed up at Esther.
Son (13) dressed up as the jail keeper for Paul and Silas (Acts 16:27-34)
Son (2) Lion
Son (almost 3 months) Lamb
Went to church, did the rounds, received candy, church cards and tracts.
Then took the tracts and church cards and passed them out with the candy I purchased from our own home.

Did it minister or plant a seed to those who came across them? A greater possibility than if we didn't pass them out.
I don't let my own kids dress up in anything except Biblical Persons, and we don't go to houses for candy. Although, this year might be a possibility for us to go from house to house to pass out scripture cards to those who pass out candy... We do this for Easter too! We go door to door to pass out a plastic egg with a chocolate and a card inviting them to our Easter service. :) Might even start attaching church invites to candy canes this year too :)

Oh, by the way, HI! Sorry I have been a bit busy with church activities, family and business. Glad to be back! :) :)

That's great you're not letting the world change you to be like them. We are not to compromise and conform to their ways but renew our mind by the Word which transforms us to God's ways.

God bless you!

Hank Hanegraff has a great explanation of the holiday, but it is rooted in pagan beliefs. I think Christians should still be able to celebrate it but taking the positive side of it, using it as a evangelism tool and with lots of discernment.

Hank Hanegraff has a great explanation of the holiday, but it is rooted in pagan beliefs. I think Christians should still be able to celebrate it but taking the positive side of it, using it as a evangelism tool and with lots of discernment.
This is a demonic holiday. satan made this holiday. This holiday is when all the witches and satanists and accultists come out to bring forth curses. satan loves this holiday. And you can see it also, everybody dressing up as witches and ghosts out to scare others and people dressing lustfully. There is much evil on this day. On halloween, all of satans people come out to curse Christians. Ever notice how people come out at night dressing up as witches and ghosts? Scaring people? And dressing very sexual? Vampires ad demons. And always at night. Even with kids going out for candy. They don't do it during the day. It's during the night. The devil comes out during the night. This is the devils day. he loves halloween. There is much evil on this day.

The myth even about the jackolantern is demonic.

Here is the story from history.com:

According to the story, Stingy Jack invited the Devil to have a drink with him. True to his name, Stingy Jack didn't want to pay for his drink, so he convinced the Devil to turn himself into a coin that Jack could use to buy their drinks. Once the Devil did so, Jack decided to keep the money and put it into his pocket next to a silver cross, which prevented the Devil from changing back into his original form. Jack eventually freed the Devil, under the condition that he would not bother Jack for one year and that, should Jack die, he would not claim his soul. The next year, Jack again tricked the Devil into climbing into a tree to pick a piece of fruit. While he was up in the tree, Jack carved a sign of the cross into the tree's bark so that the Devil could not come down until the Devil promised Jack not to bother him for ten more years.
Soon after, Jack died. As the legend goes, God would not allow such an unsavory figure into heaven. The Devil, upset by the trick Jack had played on him and keeping his word not to claim his soul, would not allow Jack into hell. He sent Jack off into the dark night with only a burning coal to light his way. Jack put the coal into a carved-out turnip and has been roaming the Earth with ever since. The Irish began to refer to this ghostly figure as "Jack of the Lantern," and then, simply "Jack O'Lantern."

As it states, the devil put jack into the lantern and as you notice, they always carve scary images into pumpkins and you see evil spirits and witches and vampires and everything evil out in the night on that day. It is even unnacceptable for anyone to dress as something nice. No wonder it happens at night. The night is about evil and about scaring people. halloween is the devils. I don't know about anyone else but for me, I wouldn't even WANT to celebrate a devils holiday. It is then like siding with satan. I can't even think of a reason to desire to celebrate it. Especially hearing those spooky sounds on that day at night and the screams.

I don't celebrate Halloween. My parents wouldn't let me. They told me it was an evil day. And now that I'm older and I'm able to make my OWN decisions, I still don't celebrate it.

I don't know much about the holiday. I didn't do much research on it. Because I just didn't care. But if what Phil says is accurate, then I'm glad I'm not celebrating it :) :) :)

I used to celebrate Halloween when I was a kid. It was a sweet time for candy house 2 house. It is a pagan holiday. But it represents evil spirits. i realize this now the last 10 years and do not support it. It can be fun but is not good for the soul. No pumpkins at my house LOL! OR candy. Jesus is sweet enough for me, hehheeh

Chili/Matt out

I'm glad to see the Lord has revealed this to several here.

Exodus 2:3You shall have no other gods before Me

It's idoltry if we get involved in any way with any spirit other than the Spirit of God

Deut.18:10Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. 12 Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you13 You must be blameless before the LORD your God. 14 The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the LORD your God has not permitted you to do so

1Corinthians 10:20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. 21Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table and of the table of devils.22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

Playing around with familiar spirits, even if we do it 'just for fun' is spiritual adultery and we are being unfaithful to God. Parent should find an alternative like a church harvest party with hayrides, games, food and lots of candy. If they don't they are opening the whole family up to the devil and the Bible says don't give him any opportunity to get into our lives

Ephesians 4:27Neither give place to the devil.

Ok, this is me and please don't condemn my soul straight to hell ok?? I did celebrate halloween when I was a kid and I see nothing wrong with the holiday..it's all in fun in a kid's eyes..it's not like you are making it something that you bow down to and worship every day..I didn't do that and I'm sure kids now a days don't either.

Ok, this is me and please don't condemn my soul straight to hell ok?? I did celebrate halloween when I was a kid and I see nothing wrong with the holiday..it's all in fun in a kid's eyes..it's not like you are making it something that you bow down to and worship every day..I didn't do that and I'm sure kids now a days don't either.

I don't condemn you. I agree with you; especially it's all in fun in a kid's eyes!

Christian churches all over the world substitute scary costumes for Biblical ones and call it okay,
but it is STILL the same holiday, so why celebrate it at all?

Just saying . . . :rolleyes:

I'll be doing what I do pretty much every Halloween. I'll be dressing up like a postal worker (which, for me, consists of workboots, jeans, colored tee shirt, and my I.D. badge) and joining several others in similar costumes and we will all party with our wrenches and screwdrivers until dawn. WOOHOO!!! I may even spark some fireworks with a welder if I'm feeling especially festive.

I celebrated Halloween as a kid but as I got older, it lost its appeal.
It was really fun back in the 90's, going to the mall or house to house to get candy.
Seeing other kids' costumes and stuff.

My mom is a Christian and back then, we didn't see it as celebrating the devil.
It was just fun to do.
As years passed, we found out more about its roots and we didn't celebrate it anymore.
In 2001, there was this event called "Hallelujah Night' at one of the neighborhood churches!
It was a lot of fun :)

We sang, did praise dances, got candy, Goldfish and tracts!!!

I'm not sure what's going on with it now but we stopped going.

The last time I participated in a halloween activity was Oct. 2008, my senior year.
At that school, it was tradition, a rite of passage (and a fund raiser) to host a Haunted House.
I was excited for it and had been, ever since the 5th grade.

When the time came, we all as a class, came together and had fun.
I'll never forget it.

But I'm not into halloween and I don't take part in celebrating it.

I was just about to type out how I'm struggling with the decision of whether or not to allow my future children to celebrate it but its really not that hard.
They won't miss something they've never had.

The knowledge of the history (and spirits) behind halloween cannot be denied for the sake of candy and childhood "norms".
So, I can't allow them to participate.

Celebrating Halloween is as bad as celebrating Christmas(Yule and Saturnalia) or Easter (Eoster).

One is a celebration of the nature spirits, and the other is a celebration of fertility. Both very pagan at heart. Why the bias against Halloween when the "Christian" holidays are just as pagan?

^ This arguement is brought up all the time.

I personally believe that Christ can be incorporated into those pagan holidays.
Like Christmas is the celebration of His birth (even though we don't know the exact date of His birth) and Easter is the celebration of His resurrection.
Nature is God's handy work and so is life (fertility).

How can you incorporate Christ on spooky ghosts, vampires and witches day?

Back