Harry Potter

but judging by what I know, it seems the obvious answer is that it glorifies witchcraft. Yes Jesus talked and ate with many sinners, but unlike Jesus, we are susceptible to giving in to temptation. So we need to be more careful.

Thanks for your insightful observations, Kristoffer. (y)

Taking this to today's culture.. Watching Harry Potter movies.. Ask how many people believe they could be influenced by demons by watching Harry Potter movies.. I am sure you will get overwhelming response.. It's just something that would be in the conscious.. Instead of causing more confusion to their conscious, let's just not watch the movies! Since we are talking about a social issue, when a group of Christians endorse Harry Potter movies, it throws confusion for less mature Christians.. That is why I am saying, as more mature Christians let's not do anything which is not going to glorify God.. I am not saying watching Harry Potter movies makes us any less Christian.. but it does not strengthen the fellowship..

Very insightful. I'm glad you are here. (y)

We live in a secular world, and part of setting an example is by not living like the secular world, and I think that would include certain types of entertainment.
What does that mean? Are we allowed to have jobs and careers, or are we restricted to only working at a church? Are we allowed to read any non-Christian books at all? Are all non-Christian movies forbidden? Are we allowed to play sports?

What does that mean? Are we allowed to have jobs and careers, or are we restricted to only working at a church? Are we allowed to read any non-Christian books at all? Are all non-Christian movies forbidden? Are we allowed to play sports?

you can do whatever you want that is not sin ..
but when the Master returns and finds you not in the vineyard working ..
a smart Christian can use any secular situation to work for God ..

Of course we are allowed to live life. We are allowed to enjoy life. We are allowed to participate in life. No, I don't believe its wrong to read non Christian books. My point is this, if something is glorifying, promoting, encouraging, or influencing people to sin, then wouldn't we better off without it? There is a difference between a non Christian book and a book that blatantly glorifies sin. Books, movies, sports, music, and so on, are not in and of themselves sin. However, we all know that not every movie or book is appropriate for any human being, let alone a Christian.

Of course we are allowed to live life. We are allowed to enjoy life. We are allowed to participate in life.
So we are allowed to "live in the secular world".

My point is this, if something is glorifying, promoting, encouraging, or influencing people to sin, then wouldn't we better off without it? There is a difference between a non Christian book and a book that blatantly glorifies sin. Books, movies, sports, music, and so on, are not in and of themselves sin. However, we all know that not every movie or book is appropriate for any human being, let alone a Christian.
I agree.

Back