Head Coverings for women...

Head Coverings for women...

So I posted this message on my facebook page as a topic open for discussion.. did not get much feedback.... maybe you all can help... thanks!

So, I have been pondering... and pondering..... AND PONDERING!!! for a very long time about women and the use of a head covering. I have questioned this on my own and prayed about it for over 2 years now and still feel like I have not found any good books claiming whether we should or shouldn't as females - wear a head covering.

I have a friend who I did speak with about the topic because she had recently become a Mennonite. It took her a while and she wrestled with the conversion both her and her husband made from being contemporary evangelicals to conservative branch Mennonites. I know she struggled with the conversion because it was very different for her - but her and her husband follow the Bible in the older fashion ( I dont really know of any other way to put it). She said the head covering was something that took time to adapt to because she would forget to put it on or shed feel uncomfortable because she was not used to wearing it...

But my question is....

The Bible in 1 Cor 11:4-16 says "Every man praying or prophesying having his head covered, dishonors his head. But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. For if a woman is not covered let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved let her be covered. For a man indeed out not to cover his head since he is the image and glory of God; but a woman is the glory of man. For man is not from woman, but woman from man. Nor was man created for the woman but woman for the man. For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head because of the angels. Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman , nor woman independent of man, in the Lord.... Judge among yourselves, Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to hear; for her hair is given to her for a covering. But if anyone seems to be contentious we have no such custom nor the churches of God."

In His Name,

Sarah

I tend to think that it was more for that time of the church in those days , out of respect for the Lord . But in our modern society if we want to wear a hat or not should not be the focal point of our coming to church . OUr attention is whether out heart is right in the sight of God and God looks at the heart , not the dress.

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
11:2-16 Here begin particulars respecting the public assemblies, ch. 1Co 14. In the abundance of spiritual gifts bestowed on the Corinthians, some abuses had crept in; but as Christ did the will, and sought the honour of God, so the Christian should avow his subjection to Christ, doing his will and seeking his glory. We should, even in our dress and habit, avoid every thing that may dishonour Christ. The woman was made subject to man, because made for his help and comfort. And she should do nothing, in Christian assemblies, which looked like a claim of being equal. She ought to have power, that is, a veil, on her head, because of the angels. Their presence should keep Christians from all that is wrong while in the worship of God. Nevertheless, the man and the woman were made for one another. They were to be mutual comforts and blessings, not one a slave, and the other a tyrant. God has so settled matters, both in the kingdom of providence and that of grace, that the authority and subjection of each party should be for mutual help and benefit. It was the common usage of the churches, for women to appear in public assemblies, and join in public worship, veiled; and it was right that they should do so. The Christian religion sanctions national customs wherever these are not against the great principles of truth and holiness; affected singularities receive no countenance from any thing in the Bible.

A woman's hair is her covering. Some people believe though in covering the hair as well, but I see the hair not only as an adornment but as a veil as well. I really haven't researched the whole thing with the head covering, etc.

Some older women from the Orthodox Russian church believe in wearing a head covering - I've seen them around town and in parts of Russia, especially in the rural areas, they wear coverings. But it's fallen out of favor.

I think it differs from person to person. If one feels obliged to wear one, allow them to. I personally wouldn't, I feel that they are rather restrictive.

I tend to think that it was more for that time of the church in those days , out of respect for the Lord . But in our modern society if we want to wear a hat or not should not be the focal point of our coming to church . OUr attention is whether out heart is right in the sight of God and God looks at the heart , not the dress.

Yes I can understand that. The dress thing is concerning to me to though because God does mention "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." 1 Tim 2:9-10

If God did not want us to do these things - why would they be in the Bible? And if it has changed to where we can do these things - where is it found in the Bible to change the distinction? I go to a non-denominational church where "come as you are" is embraced - and I do embrace that because that is one small part of me getting back into church (when I was a teenager) I was able to dress like a punk rocker with crazy blue hair and crazy clothes and no one really bothered to take a second look - but this dress was still "of the world" and I did not recognize that - was I trying to be of the world or trying to be a new me with a heart for Christ and continue to wear funky outfits ..

I think now the Holy Spirit has convicted me of things that I should change and sometimes I feel like they shouldn't and not sure whether that is God speaking or my own subconscious saying - just stay the same you are fine. I have tattoos and sometimes I become a bit uncomfortable and try and cover them up. So right now - I feel as though I have these questions but am not getting the answers.. and its tough!! Thanks for your response =)

A woman's hair is her covering. Some people believe though in covering the hair as well, but I see the hair not only as an adornment but as a veil as well. I really haven't researched the whole thing with the head covering, etc.

Some older women from the Orthodox Russian church believe in wearing a head covering - I've seen them around town and in parts of Russia, especially in the rural areas, they wear coverings. But it's fallen out of favor.

I think it differs from person to person. If one feels obliged to wear one, allow them to. I personally wouldn't, I feel that they are rather restrictive.

Thanks for this - I do appreciate the input. Its nice to get some response back here since this didn't work too well on my facebook page.... see what good 39048592 "friends" can do for you? haha =)

I agree with Near, the text explicitly says hair is the covering .

i have a tendency to unify my view of God's gender and such things which relate to gender . of His Image and Likeness

but as for me since God looks at my inside when assessing me . i will look at the inside of God also . and this way i won't be so shocked when God moves through a gender in a way that Paul may have said was shameful .

Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. (John 7:24)

I came from a church where some of the women wore head coverings. But if you notice at the end of the passage you gave, Paul says directly that "we have no such custom". It seems that if this was a matter that was very important in God's view, then God would have ensured that Paul was more firm on the subject.

So I posted this message on my facebook page as a topic open for discussion.. did not get much feedback.... maybe you all can help... thanks!

So, I have been pondering... and pondering..... AND PONDERING!!! for a very long time about women and the use of a head covering. I have questioned this on my own and prayed about it for over 2 years now and still feel like I have not found any good books claiming whether we should or shouldn't as females - wear a head covering.

I have a friend who I did speak with about the topic because she had recently become a Mennonite. It took her a while and she wrestled with the conversion both her and her husband made from being contemporary evangelicals to conservative branch Mennonites. I know she struggled with the conversion because it was very different for her - but her and her husband follow the Bible in the older fashion ( I dont really know of any other way to put it). She said the head covering was something that took time to adapt to because she would forget to put it on or shed feel uncomfortable because she was not used to wearing it...

But my question is....

The Bible in 1 Cor 11:4-16 says "Every man praying or prophesying having his head covered, dishonors his head. But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head, for that is one and the same as if her head were shaved. For if a woman is not covered let her also be shorn. But if it is shameful for a woman to be shorn or shaved let her be covered. For a man indeed out not to cover his head since he is the image and glory of God; but a woman is the glory of man. For man is not from woman, but woman from man. Nor was man created for the woman but woman for the man. For this reason the woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head because of the angels. Nevertheless, neither is man independent of woman , nor woman independent of man, in the Lord.... Judge among yourselves, Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? Does not even nature itself teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? But if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to hear; for her hair is given to her for a covering. But if anyone seems to be contentious we have no such custom nor the churches of God."

In His Name,

Sarah
Head coverings refers to your hair. A man should not have his head covered thus short hair lest it dis honors him and a woman needs to have a covering for her head which is what her long hair is. Her hair is meant as a veil for her as a sign from the angels.

cloth coverings such as a kerchief, long scarf, snood, prayer veils, bonnets, etc? How come Catholic nuns also feel the need to cover whereas those who are of the regular populace do not. I remember a woman I worked for told me when she was a teenager you could not enter a church without a head covering of sorts on.. how come some churches decide that there is a difference between hair as a covering and a material covering that you place on your head?

Yes I can understand that. The dress thing is concerning to me to though because God does mention "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works." 1 Tim 2:9-10

Of course we are to dress modestly and not be looking like some of these party girls all decked out in their low cut dresses and such . We are not honouring God but adorning ourselves to get attention from others and also that could lead to men commiting sin .

Of course we are to dress modestly and not be looking like some of these party girls all decked out in their low cut dresses and such . We are not honouring God but adorning ourselves to get attention from others and also that could lead to men commiting sin .

Completely agree. I feel more comfortable if I go to church wearing a longer skirt or a dress and a shirt that covers my tattooed arms. Thats just me !

How come then do some Christian sects (Amish, Mennonite and some Orthodox) use cloth coverings? I think this is also what confuses me.
I think that depends where you are. What the rules are and such.God made everything we need. We don't need certain kinds of clothing to be able to obey God. Just think about Adam and Eve. Eve never had coverings when she prayed I don't think. Of course you must always dress modestly but I don't think there are a certain kind of clothing you need to wear like a head covering.

In His Name,

Sarah

This was a custom of Eastern religions not Christianity

Read the last sentence of the verse, that is what Paul said :)

After I posted I noticed someone else mentioned it also in post#8

Actually, to be specific, it's not just hair, it's long hair:

But if a woman have long hair

We follow this in our Church. We promote this because:

it is a glory to her

Yes . was thinking that . but with topics like this . one point at a time ;)

thanks for bringing that up John .

Back