Healing

"I AM the L-rd Who heals you."
"By His stripes we are healed."
"He took our infirmities and bore our sicknesses."

What does the Bible teach us about healing?

What do YOU think the Bible teaches about healing Glenn?

James 5:12-16........
"Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praises. 14 anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed."

A lot of people will use this passage in James but there is no inference to be found for the gift of healing.

Nothing there requires instant healing.

The presence of SINS may be the cause for the illness but not necessarily. That is for God alone to judge such a thing.

Many people also use Isaiah 53:5.........
"But he was pierced for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,and with his wounds we are healed."

But when we read the whole chapter we see that there is no mandate for healing of sickness at all. The Hebrew there can mean "to mean or cure", but more extensively it indicates the condition of being made whole and being forgiven of sins.

Last edited:
Glenn, the easiest way to find out these things is actually punch in "healing" and then hit the google button. It will then give you hundreds of verses at your finger tips!
Google doesn't seem to give me any human insight like people responding on here do.

Google doesn't seem to give me any human insight like people responding on here do.

My dear friend. You do not need human insights to help you. You need the Word of God.

All a human is going to do is mess up what the Bible does say. Read it for yourself and allow the Spirit of God to teach you not a bunch of sinners like me.

My dear friend. You do not need human insights to help you. You need the Word of God.

All a human is going to do is mess up what the Bible does say. Read it for yourself and allow the Spirit of God to teach you not a bunch of sinners like me.
God gives us each other for help. If you go to google and do a search, you are getting what others are saying without the interaction. I want the interaction with all of you.

What is healing? Can someone throw some light on this? I think that would be a good discussion :) Then we will discover what Word teaches about healing.. I think we loosely use the terms faith, grace, healing, blessing without understand what they are..

What is healing? Can someone throw some light on this? I think that would be a good discussion :) Then we will discover what Word teaches about healing.. I think we loosely use the terms faith, grace, healing, blessing without understand what they are..
It is an improvement from how you are, either physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. to at least closer to where we are supposed to be.

It is an improvement from how you are, either physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. to at least closer to where we are supposed to be.
Very nicely put.. It is important to look at Bible verse to see what kind of healing it is talking about.. As you said, healing could refer to one of these or all of these.. Looking at the Bible verse with complete context will be key..

This one is a fun one to dig around in the Scriptures.....

So... Instructive is that Paul lists "Gifts of Healing" in many lists.....
So far as I could find - in his lists, he never uses "Healing" that's not prefaced....
Specifically - here, the greek word for "Gift" means an unwarranted favor - as in like a Christmas present....
It denotes a "Thing" given - and that "Thing" is A Healing.... It does NOT mean an ability to produce such things....

My current opinion on this is that a "Gift of Healing" is like a Christmas present that God gives someone in need..... It is a manifestation of the Divine Sovereignty and Power of God's Mercy and Love in response to the condition of the person needing the Healing.... God may ALSO manifest a healing as a WITNESS to US of His Own Divine Sovereignty and Power.....

Note that None of Paul's lists has "Healer" listed as an Office or a Calling.....
None of Pauls lists list "Healing" in the Verb sense - as in Man providing or administer healing...

Scripture wise - the ONLY MAN who EVER was able to heal 100% on command was Jesus....

Even among the Apostles - "Healing" was a Miracle bestowed by God... They did not have the "Ability" to heal... Not Peter, not Paul, not the rest of the Apostles.... Only Jesus was able to heal 100% of people, any time.

This one is a fun one to dig around in the Scriptures.....

So... Instructive is that Paul lists "Gifts of Healing" in many lists.....
So far as I could find - in his lists, he never uses "Healing" that's not prefaced....
Specifically - here, the greek word for "Gift" means an unwarranted favor - as in like a Christmas present....
It denotes a "Thing" given - and that "Thing" is A Healing.... It does NOT mean an ability to produce such things....

My current opinion on this is that a "Gift of Healing" is like a Christmas present that God gives someone in need..... It is a manifestation of the Divine Sovereignty and Power of God's Mercy and Love in response to the condition of the person needing the Healing.... God may ALSO manifest a healing as a WITNESS to US of His Own Divine Sovereignty and Power.....

Note that None of Paul's lists has "Healer" listed as an Office or a Calling.....
None of Pauls lists list "Healing" in the Verb sense - as in Man providing or administer healing...

Scripture wise - the ONLY MAN who EVER was able to heal 100% on command was Jesus....

Even among the Apostles - "Healing" was a Miracle bestowed by God... They did not have the "Ability" to heal... Not Peter, not Paul, not the rest of the Apostles.... Only Jesus was able to heal 100% of people, any time.
Actually you are wrong. Even Jesus couldn't heal people who lacked faith (Mark 6:5). It says he only was able to heal a few not everyone. The Apostles healed people all the time, through the power of God. When we are saved and filled with the Holy Spirit we have received this gift. Jesus commanded for us to heal the sick, raise the dead and cast out demons. Matthew 10:8. It is a great deception from Satan that people have stopped believing we have the power to heal as well. You keep on spreading those false statements about healing then you will be limited on what God promises He will do through us.

The irony of all this is that Last week - I would have agreed with you wholeheartedly.... but as I studied the scriptures more - I noticed these details... critical details that somehow - the people talking about "Healing" not being a Calling within the Church never drug out the details within the scriptures themselves......

So.. I am dragging them out....

Actually you are wrong. Even Jesus couldn't heal people who lacked faith (Mark 6:5). It says he only was able to heal a few not everyone.

You just made my point with your own interpretation of the bible verse.... By your own Interpretation - you claim that Even JESUS himself - The Son of God in Flesh - was UNABLE to heal certain people at certain times due to a condition outside of himself... Which means HEALING is not a Power that can be wielded by men....

If healing was a Power wielded by Men - why could JESUS himself not heal people in certain situations? Is it because JESUS did not have enough faith - because that's what you are claiming....

That's what you are claiming when you state that Miracles don't happen because we don't have enough faith.... Therefore, Jesus did NOT have enough faith in certain situations because HE could not heal in all situations....
Right? Nope.... Obviously, something is wrong with this position.... because Jesus DID have enough faith!

now.. you will say... Well.. It was those dirty old people with weak faith... and their lack of faith prevented them from BEING healed.... Well... How then did Jesus cast out the demon in the the blind mute (Matt 12:22) - that man could neither have understood, nor seen to believe Jesus was capable of doing anything.. And.. he was demon possessed on top of that.... so THAT man certainly did not have enough "faith" - in the sense of "Belief" in Jesus.... but he was healed....

By your interpretation (And my former interpretation) - these would all be contradictory.... There's no rhyme or reason to why he healed one day and not the next if it's just your "Belief in God" that's operative....

Unless.... we are missing something important here...

Sometimes, Men are allowed to take part in Miracles out of obedience to God... But... The miracle comes from God... Man's "performance" is obedience - not wishing for party tricks.. Our "Job" in a miracle is Witnessing and TESTIFYING to God's miracle... on God's timeline.... to God's display of sovereign will and power.... Our "Faith" in this situation is being Obedient to God's Command.... To DECLARE it before Men... Stand Up! God is Healing YOU right NOW!

Let's look at a specific situation where God runs us through the nuts and bolts of a miracle in slow motion....
So... Go on back to Exodus 17:1-6....
God commands Moses - Go strike the rock and I will provide water....
Moses goes before the People - he strikes the Rock... and Water comes out....
The PEOPLE observe that Moses did a miracle in front of them...
Moses must be a Miracle worker... Right?
Well.... No... God did the miracle..... Moses was being obedient and banging on a rock and declaring that God would provide water.....

Now..let's go back to Mark 6:3....
Jesus can't heal these people because of their lack of faith.......
Jesus is being OBEDIENT to God the Father - and obediently NOT healing them because of their LACK of Obedience to God the Father.....
What was their Lack of Obedience? Those people would not TESTIFY that Jesus had worked a Miracle of God in their midst.. They would not BELIEVE in Jesus.. Mark 6:4 "A prophet has no honor among his own people"...

At least that's how I currently see it...

God has give US the power to heal ourselves and others. The only necessary component: faith. Everything in the scriptures from Gen to Rev is about trusting in God. It's finished and settled. Only man can't understand that and come up with all kinds of theories until they just abandon the entire subject as having died with the last apostle. How sad. Have you ever heard of echo-cancelling headphones? It monitors the surrounding area and broadcasts into your ears the opposite signal nullifying, or cancelling out, the noise. When one does not have faith in God's abilities or desire to give us all things through Jesus, we cancel out His grace. Grace is unmerited favor, that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech goodwill, loving-kindness. Paul said:

2 Corinthians 12:8-9 (KJV)
For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Then grace means I have to live with my issue? How is that grace if grace means all those positive things!? So our interpretation of this verse is wrong. Paul then learns the truth and explains:

Galatians 2:21 (KJV)
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness [come] by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

This word frustrate is to thwart the efficacy of anything, nullify, make void, frustrate, to do away with, to set aside, disregard. Then we have this verse:

Romans 8:32 (KJV)
He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

There's no condition here, no "you must do this or that" only that you must have faith. We have to dig inside us and find all the things that usurp this knowledge:

2 Corinthians 10:5-6 (KJV)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ; And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

The fact is, "It is finished!" so the rest is up to MAN. God did His part. It's up to YOU to believe with your heart, not positive thinking. You can say with your head "I am healed through Christ" but you're heart is saying "yea right..." nullifying the grace of God. It's NO DIFFERENCE than the salvation of our souls. It's by faith.

Galatians 3:1-4 (KJV)
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if [it be] yet in vain.

This is why Jesus couldn't heal, they didn't have faith, not because Jesus failed, only man fails. The same rules apply today as they did back then. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, we are the ones in chaos. BELIEVE the word of God and choose life! It's up to YOU.

Back