Heaven, do we really go there?

Let's not turn this into another "Catholic vs. Protestant" forum since that was never the point.

GotQuestions does give anti-Catholic positions, but it doesn't mean everything they say about Christianity is wrong.

Let's keep to the subject.

I was quite disappointed that one of my favorite sites gotquestions.org believes that Christians upon death are immediately in heaven, and that we go to heaven at all.

The Bible clearly teaches in revelation that when we die we are in the grave until the resurrection, and that when we are resurrected we are judged and heaven and earth are remade. We get to live in New Jerusalem, not heaven.

So why do so many Christians believe heaven is our destination?

Yes I know everyone uses 2 Corinthians 5:8 which says

"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord."

But that doesn't say we go to heaven when we die, that is simply saying it's better to walk in the spirit than the flesh, thus being absent in body but present with the Lord.

John 3:13
"No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven--the Son of Man."

Revelation 21:2
2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

Why do so many Christians miss this teaching or completely ignore it?

I am not saying this is a crucial issue, but it is one that bugs me.

Some people don't feel special. They feel God doesn't really love them.

Let's say you had a daughter. She visited Iraq. Was captured by ISIS and they demanded a ransom. You pay the ransom and.....

a: Tell her to go to Saudi Arabia and wait there for you until you take a business trip out there in a few months time?
or b: You get her on a one way flight to your / her house?

Which one sounds like a loving Father?

2 Cor 6:18 And, "I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty."

That introduces certain other complexities as well.. It would then mean paradise and heaven are 2 separate places.. If a person in in paradise, will he be with Jesus? If so, then Jesus has ascended into heaven and seated on the throne. If Jesus is in Paradise also, wouldn't that make paradise and heaven the same?

The first Paradise was on Earth I think the next will be too. ie. the New Earth imo The Tree of Life is said to be in the midst of the Paradise of God.

Rev 2:7 KJV He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

The Tree/s of Life is said to be in the New Jerusalem on the New Earth.

Rev 21:1-2 KJV And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. (2) And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
Rev 22:1-2 KJV And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. (2) In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

That introduces certain other complexities as well.. It would then mean paradise and heaven are 2 separate places.. If a person in in paradise, will he be with Jesus? If so, then Jesus has ascended into heaven and seated on the throne. If Jesus is in Paradise also, wouldn't that make paradise and heaven the same?
I believe that Jesus is God(the Son), therefor He would be omni present.
Paradise (garden of God) and heaven, God's traditional abode could be different places or they could be the same place, however, we should always keep in mind that since in the beginning God created whatever has been created, He must necessarily also be outside of, or beyond any thing created.
Jesus taught us to pray...."our Father who is in heaven...." so?

Last edited:
The bible says we are spirit soul and body.
1 thes 5:23 says that paul prayed that our spirit soul and body be preserved blameless at the coming of the lord.
So if you believe in jesus your spirit is saved. Then you have to work out the salvation of the soul with fear and trembling as james says by renewing your mind with the word of God which is quick and life giving.

As for the body, we are to present it as a living sacrifice until we die. The spirit and soul being tightly knit go to heaven and unbelivers go to hell.

The body of believers will be resurected at the coming of the lord our works then will be judged weather they be gold silver or wood straw etc. this judgement is not wehter you are a sinner or rightous but how much you learnt to manifest the fruits of the spirit in this life. Jesus will the. Be told bu those that manife

Back